Cantillon Mamouche - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon MamoucheCantillon Mamouche

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Cantillon Zwanze 2009 = Elder flowers. In 2010, Cantillon re-released this beer as Mamouche (same beer), which will be brewed on a regular basis.

(Beer added by: rvdoorn on 11-07-2009)

Zaphog, Mar 29, 2014

liamt07, Sep 16, 2013
3.9/5  rDev -6.7%

2/20/2010

Bottle shared by Yespr at Woodshop 5.0. Thanks! The beer pours hazy light yellow golden.

The nose is very strange and unlike anything else I've come across. The Elderflower presence is dominant, pervading every aspect of the aroma. Unlike most Cantillon beers, the nose isn't super funky, but subtle cheese and barnyard notes are evident. I also detect notes of citrus, dill, and oak. This Elderflower imparts a very unique character.

The beer is salty and earthy, with notes of citrus, oak, dill, and musty cheese. The Elderflower tastes herbal and rather strange, but interesting. The finish is dry and moderately sour with a lingering floral presence. This is a unique and enjoyable beer, though not particularly drinkable. The few ounces were enough for me.

HopHead84, Feb 22, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

ShanePB, Jun 30, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

iL0VEbeer, Aug 21, 2013
4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottled on May 16, 2011.
750ml bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip glass.

A - Pours a clear, golden orange with a two finger cream-colored head that fades quickly.

S - Funk, herbs, spices, wild flowers.

T - Tart funk, oak, floral - Spring Time in a glass.

D - Great carbonation and a lively body.

O - Ahhh... I love Cantillon! A Spring Time wonder.

HuskyinPDX, Apr 15, 2012
4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

This may not be the highest rated Cantillon going but I really dug it; it was offbeat, unique, and flavorful. Slightly hazed, very light gold body, two finger head that settles rather quickly; a little patchy lace here and there.

Really an unexpected and pleasing aroma; tart lemony notes; musty funky aspects, but a clear note of fresh garden veggies out of left field. Not as in vegetal, not a stinking, overcooked cauliflower aroma, but that of fresh picked tomatoes from the vine, raw zucchinis and green peppers, clearly the product of the elder flowers. The taste also includes this unusual note; it’s subtle but always there; the fresh and moderately sour lemon flavor cuts and compliments it nicely; and the funky hay and barn notes round things out. More typical herbal, flower and oak elements also come into play; the finish is dry; green peppers are noticed in the short and clean aftertaste. That sounds pretty odd but in this beer I thought it worked wonderfully.

Medium-light body, medium carbonation, crisp, easy to drink, average acidity and sourness, doesn’t assault the mouth and gullet. This definitely won't be everyone's cup of tea but I was a fan.

tobelerone, Dec 07, 2012
3.83/5  rDev -8.4%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter. 2011 bottle.

Appearance - Pale hazy orange body. Nice big white head. Lasts forever as a pillow of foam.

Smell - Hmm. Green peppers. Grassy. Grainy. Lemony acids.

Taste - Green peppers again. Kinda malty. Sour. Grassy green sourness.

Mouthfeel - Well carbonated. Seems heavier than other Cantillons.

Overall - Still no idea what an Elderflower should taste or smell like, but this smells and tastes like green peppers.

Alieniloquium, Sep 30, 2013
3.53/5  rDev -15.6%

Cantillon Mamouche, purchased at the brewery during a weekend in Brussels last month. The label describes as such: "Elderflowers, handpicked by the Cantillon team and soaked in 2 years old lambic. Beer with evolving flavor. Keep and serve at cellar temperature. To be drunk preferably within 10 years after the bottling date."

I opened this one during a lazy day between Christmas and New Years Eve. After removing the cork I saw a little liquid seeping around the cork, nothing serious, just interesting. The cork came out with a nice audible, very good carbonation.

Light orange straw color, SRM of 3-4, initially clear but becoming a little hazy with subsequent pours. A very nice foam that never quite goes away, a solid cap on the liquid, not sticky enough to give lasting lace.

This has a very unique aroma, apparently elderflowers but I wouldn't know as I've never been exposed previous to this. To me it's a little peppery and evokes wet green vegetation. Behind this is the the standard barnyard funk that you expect from Cantillon, but the elderflowers play the lead role.

It tastes like elderflowers, I guess. Very light tartness, not bad but I would prefer a little more funk. Possibly less flowers would make me happy but I'm not employed by Cantillon so what do I know.

Medium bodied, nice carbonation as previously noted. Far from my favorite from Cantillon, but still a very interesting lambic.

TurdFurgison, Dec 30, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

750ml bottle poured into balloon snifter 14/6/14 cheers Kmat10 for opening the bottle

A a bit of a yeasty pour, cloudy orange liquid, a few bubbles but not a whole lot for head or lace

S floral, cheesy funk, kinda smells like taking out ragweed with a whipper snipper, caramel, lemon, apple pie filling crust included, mild spice, vinegar, and wet wood

T plenty going on much like the nose, less floral notes, some cereal comes out, sour but not overly so, not exactly what I was expecting

M almost foamy, slick on the palate, some pucker to it but mellow, strange weedy finish

O something different and interesting, I can't think of anything else I've had that's similar, not my favorite offering from Cantillon but worth a try

I'm happy to try it but not the same world class experience I've gotten from Cantillon in the past, maybe I'll like it more in a decade or two.

wordemupg, Jul 01, 2014

drummermattie02, Jan 21, 2012
4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

750mL bottle poured into wine glass during Zwanze Day 2011 at monks in philly

Pours a clouded golden yellow color with straw tones, very thick fluffy head. Retains for a bit, leaving patchy lacing on the glass, nice legs.

Floral in the nose with peppery tones, faint spice and heat, almost like a cross between bell and jalapeno peppers. Tart funk, yeast, straw, and lemon peel. So different and so fantastic.

Lemon zest with citrus notes. Peppery spice and slight vegetable (bell and jalapeno peppers) notes. Decent sourness with white grapes. Plenty of floral character from the elderflowers, distinct but fascinating. Funk and straw towards the finish with light acidity.

Medium body, higher carbonation, refreshing and zesty on the tongue. One of the most unusual yet delicious beers I've ever had. Even at $10 per glass, I went back for more - it's almost tough to explain this beer without actually tasting it.

xnicknj, Sep 18, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

chippo33, Dec 21, 2012
4.04/5  rDev -3.3%

Cynic-ale, Sep 21, 2014
3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

Thanks to Masterski for bringing this to our big time Chicago tasting.

750 ml bottle into my Narke tulip...Pour is nothing to discuss as this beer is all about the elder flowers. Going in I had no idea what one smelled like, now I know, and I won't be searching them out again. A super strong acidic chilipepperish aroma attacks your nose from the start almost stinging it like a whiff of a strong medication. I can almost visualize waves of the aroma coming off it like its some cartoon characterization..The taste is much of the same, but thankfully its toned down a bit and not nearly as harsh. The astringency is much weaker, especially as your drink it, I guess you almost get used it to. Its certainly a unique flavor, something probably worth trying but one that is just not for me, despite a relatively high score that I give it for its uniqueness and effort.

jrallen34, Aug 04, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

atrocity, Jul 21, 2014
4.21/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

750 ml capped and corked bottle, bottled on 07 June 2012. Served in a Unibroue tulip, the beer pours golden/orange with about an inch off-white head that didn't stay around for very long. There's a decent amount of lacing. Aroma is nice and tart, the brew smells like tart lemon, herbs/flowers (which I assume is from the elderflowers), oak, and some funk. It tastes like tart citrus, elderflowers (herbal/floral taste), green pepper, funk, oak, and some apricot. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's well carbonated and enjoyable to drink. I thought this was a good brew, I'd like to pick up another bottle at some point. Bottle from Etre Gourmet.

bluejacket74, Aug 03, 2013
4.76/5  rDev +13.9%

Evil_Pidde, Friday at 06:14 PM

Enjoyed this one while pre-gaming going out jazz club hopping in New Orleans at Avenue Pub! Served from tap into a wine glass. Poured a hazy golden yellow with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, earth, bell pepper, sour, and funk. The flavor was of sweet malt, earth, bell pepper, floral, sour, and funk. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a good brew. When I had this out of the bottle back at Zwanze Day 2011 I experienced a bell pepper flavor and I thought that it might have been a figment of my imagination. Now that I’ve got to have it on tap as well and still pick up on the bell pepper it appears to be pretty solid evidence. There is nothing wrong with this fact at all though as it actually seemed to fit in quite nicely with the brew and add a nice earthiness to it. A well done brew that I can’t wait to see how it ages in the bottles I have laid down in the cellar.

thagr81us, Dec 31, 2012
3.68/5  rDev -12%

Thanks to MasterSki for sharing this at our Epic Chicago Tasting. Our bottle was an '09 "Zwanze" one, as opposed to the newly re-monikered "Mamouche."

A - A golden color that is a little bit hazy. Clear on the edges, has some huge, good looking bubbles.

S - A huge flower smell, really dominates in this brew. It's unlike anything I have smelled before, and I guess that is what elder flowers are, very sweet and fresh-cut flowery aroma. A bit of pepper and grass with a slight bit of funk.

T - It's a bit sweet, with some lemon and a little bit of wood. Huge flower taste, honestly it's a bit overpowering and I have to try to ignore it. Tastes like I'm eating a flower. The beer has a very unique taste, but it's not my thing.

M - Light and bubbly with a slightly dry finish.

D - Pretty good and light, but the flower taste makes it hard to drink tons.

I think this is a beer that you're either going want a lot more of, or not have again. I don't care a ton if I encounter this again.

AgentZero, Aug 26, 2010

bsuedekum, Nov 21, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

Pours a hazy dark yellow/light golden color with a rather large fluffy head of white foam.

Aromas really throw me back in my seat intially. There is a ridiculously huge amount of floral, vegetal, herbal and spice aromatics. As I go back in I get the same huge amount of herbal and floral charcteristics; like some kind of cooking spice blend. It almost has a raw, freshly cut green bell pepper thing going on.

The flavors are luckily less spice blend and more lambic but not by much. You get some intiall lemon tartness and granny smith apple but soon you get some vegetal jalapeno skin, parsley, peppercorn, rosemary blend. This is really odd to be honest. There are some slighly pleasant pear and flower notes in the finish but the elderflowers are adding a flavor profile I have never experience in a beer, especially a sour beer.

The mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with medium carbonation. Finish is spicy and sour, sounds great in food, not so much here for my palate.

Overall I just can't get behind this offering. As we discussed at the table, you either love it or you hate it, but even if you love it, more than a 6 oz offering could become a task. If you are adverse to any sort of herbal/floral beers, avoid this for sure.

claspada, Dec 03, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +1%

Bottled in 2010, shared with the guys last night.

Pouring a light yellow with a dense, frothy head with excellent retention and lacing, this is a gorgeous beer. The nose is unlike anything I've previously experienced. Incredibly spicy with a blend of white pepper and jalapenos (!!!), there's a moderately floral character to it Behind it, the lambic is noticeable. Lemony and moderately oaky with a lactic bite, there's some funk noticeable, but it's really covered up by the strong elderflower aroma.

The palate opens spicy, again with a blend of crushed white pepper and a jalapeno-like vegetal spiciness. Moderately pefumey, the mid-palate brings out the base lambic. Wonderfully lemony and lactic, this has a solid lip-smacking tartness. A little oaky with some vanilla and tannins, this beer dries out on the finish with a blend of lemon and pepper. Light in body with absolutely wonderful carbonation, this is airy, creamy and the combination of sourness and spiciness on the finish is unique. Excellent stuff, though I feel like the elderflower character is just a little overdone.

DefenCorps, Jul 01, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +4.8%

Shared with MrKennedy and mulder1010. Thanks for opening this Owen.

Hazy, cloudy golden colour with a dense, thick, white head.

Floral and funky aroma with some good tartness. Elderflower is certainly there. Nice.

Big tartness on the palate as is characteristic of Cantillon. Lots of floral elderflower character. Some fruit. Really neat.

Medium-light body with moderately-high carbonation. True to style.

A really nice, different lambic. The flowery character really works. Well balanced.

dgilks, Mar 19, 2012