Cantillon Mamouche - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon MamoucheCantillon Mamouche

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: rvdoorn on 11-07-2009

Cantillon Zwanze 2009 = Elder flowers. In 2010, Cantillon re-released this beer as Mamouche (same beer), which will be brewed on a regular basis.
Ratings: 719 | Reviews: 170
4.77/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle thanks to Chris at Ebenezers, a generous selection to say the least. Reviewed from notes. Bottled on June 15, 2010.

A- Split 5 ways into stemmed goblets with a hazy golden body, clearly some yeast floating around in solution. A foamy white head builds up to a finger tall. Good retention. A good pillow sticks around from the head but doesn't leave any lace somehow.

S- Reminds me a lot of the regular Gueuze but with a superb flowery aroma added into the mix. Lemon sourness, herbal, barnyard grass, funk, oak and that Cantillon bug mix you get used to after having a few beers. Floral feel contrasts the lambic beautifully.

T- Just like the aroma a very nice floral feel atop something reminiscent of the Classic Gueuze. Funk and a nice sourness are followed by herbal and grassy notes. A nice base of lemon sour, oak, lactic, tiny acetic, apple and grape notes.

MF- Light body that is dried out by all of the flora present. Sour level is moderately high but other Cantillons can top this, for better or worse. Standard foamy carbonation.

I had no expectations for this one but for me the elderflower addition gave off a nice herbal and floral feel that combined amazingly with the Cantillon funk. Might be my favorite of their beers so far.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Unlabeled 750ml bottle served in a Lambic basket at the brewery; poured into a tasting glass.

A: Lightly hazy gold body with an impressive two inches of frothy, sticky white foam. Good retention and great lace for the style. Lovely.

S: The flowers absolutely dominate the aroma with spicy, perfumy, woody, herbal splendor. It smells like a greenhouse, with some earthy funk and tart lemon underlying the huge floral aroma. Wow.

T: The floral notes turn into profound spiciness here, with funk + ample sourness on the tail end. Intense and enjoyable, but not quite as enthralling as the gorgeous aroma. I just wish it tasted as perfumy as it smelled, although I'm not entirely convinced that that would be possible.

M: Very lively medium body. Perfectly frothy, perfectly smooth.

O: Don't ever let anyone say that Belgian brewers are mired in tradition and unwilling to experiment. Mamouche is entirely unlike any beer I've ever tasted or even heard of, and it's spectacularly good. I split this bottle with a group of Lambic newbies, and everyone was blown away by its uniqueness (even if they couldn't quite handle its intensity). It was especially tasty as a component of impromptu blends with the Gueuze/Kriek/Framboise that other people were drinking, as the floralness works as beautifully as a secondary component of Cantillon funk as the primary one. I wish this beer were easier to come by, as I'd just love to have it again.

Cheers!

M:

Pissy yellow w/champagne loose head. 4
Pure perfume yet mulchy vegetal and also some funk - never smelled a beer like it. 4
Wheat and floral, a powerful nectar hit, dirty funky middle, powdery herbal (natural aspirin) bitterness to end. 4
Stone fruit finish and lingering branchy bitterness.
Crisp, lean, fizzy, light. 4

-- Weird one. Big perfume, lots of metallic bitterness, and a blast of funk. A bit too astringent at then end - fragrant but not sweet. Interesting and well done, if hard work. 4

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

#800

Big thank you to Jeffo for this most awesome treat, very high up on my list of wants. Bottled June 15, 2010. Poured into a Cantillon tumbler.

Appearance. Pours a hazy, rich gold colour with a ton of bubbles rising and 2+ fingers of fluffy white head.

Smell. Bitter floral perfume and fresh savoury herbs, some berries and lemon juice as well as some old wood and that nice Cantillon funk ...which is as close to the classic "horse-blanket" description as any funk I've come across.

Taste. Amazing light floral perfume and some lightly bitter, savoury herbs along the lines of dandelion leaves. There's also some lemon juice, a bit of old wood and maybe a touch of leather, along with a nice light lingering dry funk.

Mouthfeel. Lighter body with full, lively but still somewhat soft carbonation. Pretty much perfect for the style.

Overall. The most interesting beer from this brewery that I've tried so far, wasn't expecting the herby aspect. Thanks again for this treat from across the pond, Jeff!

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

Thanks for sharing Beerdy. Poured into snifter. Recent vintage.

Pours a cloudy golden body with a thick white head that faded to a good lasting film. This beer smells like no other I’ve had, but that’s probably because I’ve never even hear of an elderflower before this. The nose is very peppery, like that of a red bell pepper, and vegetal. That characteristic musty Cantillon funk is right in there next to the strange notes of bell pepper and citrus. Smells like a musty of garden. The taste is better than the nose in my opinion as a little bit more funk and lemony citrus mixes with the pepper and vegetables, but overall this isn’t my favorite lambic. The mouthfeel is very airy, bubbly and fairly dry. I’d like to try a bottle of this beer in a few years when it’s had at least half a decade of age on it to see how it has changed. Definitely an interesting brew.

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

fogdog rocks!

A: Pours a nice shade of hazy golden yellow. Nice foamy head, little retention and no lace.

S: Very unique aromas. Very floral. I don't know what an elder flower smells like but I assume that is what I am picking up. There is also a strange mix of herbs and rubber behind the first floral burst. Light citrus round things out.

T: Whoa, very strange. There is a strong floral flavor (once again I assume Elder Flower) with a big blast of dill. Light citrus, salt... saltine crackers dare I say? The sourness was very light, even more so by Cantillon standards. Lots going on here, and the flavors don't seem to mesh.

M: Medium in body, smooth, a bit dry in the finish.

D: Not the most drinkable. Unique and one of a kind for sure.

3.82/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

June 26, 2013 corked and capped 750 ml bottle from Tipples. Pours hazy golden almost tangerine color with a half finger of white fizzy head that quickly recedes. Aroma...well this is interesting. Peaches, vinegar, floral notes, light dry oak and sourness, and yes, dill pickles. Somehow not off-putting though and the sweet peachy smell is nice. Flavor is pickle juice, sour vinegar funk, dry oak, light peaches or apricots. Weird. Light bodied but sweet with prickly high carbonation. Finishes dry. This is unique to say the least.

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

A-Pours a hazy mandarin hue which leaves a fast vanishing two finger head that settles to a layer of head and a rim of lacing.

S-Salami,Floral fragant flowers,honeydew,barnyard funk,a slight mustiness and chilies.

T-Very floral with tastes of barnyard funk,ripe peaches,fruity flowers,lychee and finished with a pineapple bitterness.

M-light bodied,very zesty and finishes bone dry.

O-Another fine example of what Lambics should taste like and this is a new one for me but it definately will not be the last as the Elderflowers add a beautiful touch to this to make it totally different to the rest of their range and another one of their brews that if you find it you buy it and looking forwards to sampling the rest of my Cantillion haul cheers.

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to AnotherJoe for bringing this to a tasking... 2011 vintage...

A: Pours a hazy light wheat yellow with about a half finger of pure white head. The foam settles quickly, leaving a good bit of lacing on the glass as it drinks.

S: The nose is earth. I get dirt, fresh cut grass, a bit of lemon, and a small floral component. It's crazy how much this beer smells like a garden. It's funky, with a lot of barnyard and some some nice sourness in there.

T: Holy cow. This bee is fantastic! It's sour, tart, refreshing, floral, grassy, and even a bit dirty. I know that doesn't sound like a recipe for success, but damn. It's like your backyard in a glass. Sweet, sour, and crisp. Love it.

M: Light bodied beer. It's sweet right off the bat with a big blast of tart and flowers. It hits the palate hard, but softens up as it drinks. Lingering mild sour in the back end.

O: My goodness. I enjoyed this beer immensely. I don't even know what to say, other than this might be my favorite of all the Cantillons I have tried before. So delicious. I need to seek out more of this for future consumption.

3.94/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip. 2011 vintage. I always wondered why this is categorized as a fruit lambic since as far as I know, flowers aren't fruit.

3.5 A: Lightly hazed yellow orange color. Two and a half fingers of foamy white head. Retention is mediocre and no lacing is left.

4.5 S: Plenty of musty, earthy, and dirty funk in this. Pond water, sweat socks, diaper to start. Rotting peachiness, woody, lightly astringent. Lemongrass, lemon zest. The elderflowers offer a pleasant herbalness along with something along the lines of an Anaheim pepper. Fairly dry and without a lot of acidity. Perhaps a touch of lactic acid with no acetic to be found.

3.5 T: There is a surprising sour kick in the taste though. It's not super intense, but it gets the job done. Also a much bigger bitterness and tannic astringency. Perhaps it's the elderflowers that add this bitterness. I wouldn't know since I don't go into fields and munch on whatever I see. Lighter pepperiness in the taste. Lightly herbal. Dirty diaper is back along with sweat socks and pond water. Lemon and peachy fruitiness. Very oaky with a rotting wood component. Again, on the drier side.

3.5 M: Not bad here, but it could use a bit more spritz and more creaminess. Lighter body. Active carbonation. Mildly astringent aftertaste.

3.5 D: This was good and I loved the nose, but it's too bitter for my preference and the astringency is a bit distracting. I'm not sure that I'll buy this again, but it was worth a try.

4.49/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

75cl bottle, bottled 07 June 2012. Thank you Eduardo for this bottle. Poured into a Cantillon sherry glass today, 10/4/2013. Split this bottle into four pours.

Review #275.

Pours a beautiful, hazy light golden colour with a nice, effervescent and fluffy white head with very good retention (for Cantillon). Small bits of lacing persist as I swirl the beer in the glass. Very nice, refreshing appearance.

Smells so unique. Its incredibly floral. I can't get over how floral the nose is; there is also a very nice earthy presence with some citric acidity remniscent of lemon. A bit of oak. It all comes together really well into this beer that made me think I was smelling a bouquet of freshly picked flowers. I have never smelled anything like this before and I really, really enjoy it.

Drinking this makes me wonder if I'm drinking liquid flowers. It is so floral, no bitterness at all with a nice complementary lemony-acidic bite. There is a lot of that Cantillon bug in this beer as well, just in case you weren't sure you were drinking a Cantillon. Still can't get over how floral this beer is; even floral-hop heavy IPAs like Two Hearted don't come anywhere near close. Of course, these beers don't use elderflowers, but thats not the point. Totally unique flavour profile, very well executed.

Mouthfeel is a nice medium bodied, well-carbonated and creamy. So incredibly refreshing and drinkable. Nice acidity that isn't overwhelming but is very complementary to the floral aspects.

I love this beer. I can see why some people hate it, but I absolutely love it. It is very unique and masterfully executed. It made the Cantillon Iris next to it seem like such an uninteresting, bitter lambic. Eduardo, can you please send me another bottle?

3.8/5  rDev -9.5%

A - pours a straw yellow with a soft white 1/4 inch head on it

S - nose is tones of elderflower (very planty - jalepeno and minty) with some citric lambic. Very earthy/herbally/floral.

T - Starts off with citric lambic flavors over the first 1/3 of the tongue. The lambic gives way to a minty jalepeno / herbal flavor...hard to describe without trying it, but it is a sharp, yet refreshing greenery flavor. The lambic returns on the backend with a little bit of spicy black pepper.

M - soft carbonation that imparts a soft mouthfeel overall

D - one of the more interesting Cantillon offerings I have tried to date. I think I prefer their wine barrel and fruit lambics over this venture into the plant world. Although it's harder to get it's worth a shot, as are any in Cantillon's line up.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

A-Cloudy yellow orange, nice carbonation and a one finger head

S-Dill pickles, tart with funky notes.

T-Dill, pickles, tartness, funk, wheat and some spice.

M-Medium bodied, nice carbonation, crisp with a dry finish.

O-Not the best Cantillon but one of the more interesting ones.

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Tasted amazing. Smelled like I was working a cat with a UTI. Horrible, but awesome at the same time.

3.97/5  rDev -5.5%

Shared a bottle with Sammy at Beer Bistro in Toronto. Pours a pale yellow with huge white fluffy head. Smell is quite sour, with some herbs and berries. The sour flavour is pretty big for me, though I haven't tried too many sour beers yet. I had to have a glass of water part way in to cleanse my palate a bit, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Huge carbonation level.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

750ml bottle, shared by Masterski, at the Epic Chicago Tasting. Poured into Rochefort Tulip.

A - Pours a fizzy golden yellow color which leaves a thin ring, ultra-thin cap, and no lacing.

S - Catsup (I have no clue...), floral notes, funk, tart/sour, some pepper, barnyard.

T - Sour/tart notes, a medium level of funk, horseblanket, some wood in there as well, and a rose pedal/floral finish.

M - Light to medium, crips, champagne-esk carbonation, dry finish.

D - I personally liked this one and enjoyed the floral notes. I would def drink again and would love to see how this one ages as well.

4.26/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottled June 7, 2012.

Beer is an opaque dark orange colour. Moderately sized white head.

Smell is soft and perfume-like. Clearly the elderflower scent, but not something I am independently familiar with. A slight funky, musty smell. Pretty restrained.

Taste contains a nice floral-like flavour (if you forgive the synaesthesia) that must be elderflower. The taste is quite tart, with some funk. However, the sour is not as intense as some Cantillons, and not as intense as it probably would be with some time. Wheat stands out as the primary malt base.

Light bodied, very strongly carbonated. Puckery. The carbonation is nice and champagne-like, but still a bit too strong.

Overall, very good. Despite the characteristic Cantillon sourness, it is a rather delicate beer.

2.76/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Part of our Kebab and Cantillon dinner party the other weekend. Cheers guys!

From a 750 into a tumbler
Bottled 7 June 2012

APPEARANCE: Pours a one finger, medium looking white head with decent retention. Hazy amber orange in color with lower levels of carbonation evident. Head fades to a thick ring but leaves no real lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Some citrus fruits in there, like lemon and orange peel perhaps, with an underlying layer of funk that resembles sea weed as well. A strong floral element from the flowers obviously that somewhat dominates the lambic. A little overwhelming perhaps.

TASTE: Lots of flowers up front, with some lemon and tart srouness through the middle into the finish. Sour lemon, bitter notes and some funky, dank mouldy flavors compete with the flowers, unltimately losing in the end. The floral flavors very much run the show here.

PALATE: Medium body and medium levels of carbonation. Creamy on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes rather dry. Puckering and somewhat acidic after the swallow.

OVERALL: This is definitely a flower dominant lambic. The floral aroma and flavor really do take the lead here, which, unfortunately, quickly became quite challenging. I understand that many people quite enjoy this one, but for me, at this point at least, I found this difficult and didn't go back for a second pour. Not something I'd want to drink again for the next little while at least. At least not this fresh. Perhaps a couple years in the bottle would make a big difference.

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

750ml bottle shared with beerloco along with a 2010 vintage.

Appearance: Pours a golden orange with a one finger fine white crown that shows moderate retention but good lace. Not as radiant as the 2010 vintage but similar otherwise.

Smell: Strong elderflower sweetness and bitterness over moderate Cantillon funk.

Taste: Same as nose. Not as floral as Cuvee des Fleurs from Southampton, but pungent none the less.

Mouthfeel: Thin side of medium bodied with slightly prickly carbonation.

Drinkability: Flowers are beautiful :)

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%

Thanks to Morgan and Cena from Sweden for sharing the last bottle at the Cantillon Brewery this year.

Vintage 2010

A: Golden on straw ale with excellent clarity. Two fingers of bone white foam falls to a quilt of the same, which stays for the life of the beer. Central column of continuous bubbles. Spotty lacing.

S: Whoa, I could smell this as soon at it was corked! The Elderberry Blossoms are potent! I have never had this flower in my face, so I can't compare, my table mates said it was totally obvious (Cena didn't know it was brewed with the flower and called it out immediately). To me: peppercorns, soil, black tea, cilantro and a hint of mint. Can't get my nose out of the glass, it's embarrassing given my new company wants to chat.

T: Initially soil forward, peppery, herbal. I honestly am having a difficult time describing this beer. It's something I would pair with oysters on the half-shell alongside some enanthaler and chilled white grapes. There, that clears it up right?

M: Thin bodied with prickly carbonation. Good dry finish. Truly this is like a sparkling wine.

O: This beer is excellent, complex, fun and intriguing. I wish there was some to buy from the brewery because it's amazing!

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2013 Vintage reviewed live.

A - Light straw with solid carbonation.

S - Funk centric, rose petals and slight tartness detected too.

T - Green pepper, Tabasco and rose petal. Green apple sourness and light oak.

M - Light, refreshing, drying finish.

O - Phenomenal, but probably my least favorite Cantillon thus far. The green pepper tobasco flavor really threw me off.

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip. This was bottled on June 26, 2013. Served at cellar temperature.

Appearance: Pours a translucent (but nearly opaque) honey-rose color and leaves a finger of white head which fizzles away quickly to nothing.

Smell: Very interesting/different. Funky/floral/vegetabley/peppers (both hot and sweet)/pollen. A unique aroma. The floral notes, which are hidden behind the big vegetable/pepper smell is really nice. As it warms, a green pepper smell becomes quite pronounced.

Taste: Actually hits a lot of the same notes as the aroma, but more subtle (luckily). Flower stems, flower blossoms, lemon zest, peppercorn, still has a lot of pepper : green in particular, a hint of hot peppers though (without the spice). Only a bit sour. Definitely unique.

Mouth-feel: Medium carbonation, although for some reason it feels a bit flatter than it is. Light to medium body. Pretty dry all the way through.

Overall: Way different than I could have expected. The flavor is very plant influenced, and it is unlike any beverage I've consumed. Definitely not my favorite Cantillon, but is very interesting and worth a try.

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

Bottle at Beerbistro. Lambic with elderflower.

Pours a slightly hazy gold with a finger of white head that drops to a fine film leaving a few spots of lace behind. The nose is wonderfully floral, herbal and peppery with a strong elderflower presence forcing out the lighter touch of funk and citric sourness. Its really quite summery and clean in its profile and a joy to sniff.

I used to drink elderflower cordial a lot when I was a kid. My mom used to get this stuff and you added water to the syrup to make a nice light summer drink. The taste of elderflower rocks - its kind of like a cross between white grape and flowers, and that's exactly what we have here in all its natural glory. The sourness is mild and balanced, showing Cantillon's deft hand. There's some pepper and funk in the finish, but overall its probably one of their more accessible offerings. Quite exquisite. The refreshing quality of the elderflower is echoed by a queching body that transcends to a dry finish. Low level carbonation is perfectly matched.

As I mentioned, this is one of the more accessible Cantillons I've come across (unless I'm becoming immune). Its hugely drinkable, and a pleasure to consume. Super-win.

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Sour Saturday @ the blue monk

Poured as expected a hazy golden yellow with an inch of fluffy white head that faded quickly. The smell was rather neutral but was undeniably sour. The taste on the other hand was continually changing from sour to a peppercorn/chili aftertaste (from the elder flowers)...outstanding and different.
The mouthfeel is an expected sourness and dryness that sucks the saliva from your tonsils. The aftertaste is almost like a vomit...but somehow still delicious.
This was a pricey, hard to find 10oz of beer...but worth it to try once.

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

Ah, I love it when a once-rare beer is re-released under an alias and I get a chance to tick it after missing out. Zwanze '09...now called Mamouche...COUNT...THE...TIIIICK. 750ml bottle thanks to Nick3.

Pours hazy golden with a one-finger white head that leaves thick foam on the beer.

Very floral and spicy aroma, with less typical Cantillon funk than I expected.

Slightly sweet (believe it or not) pale malt with elderflowers (haha like I know what those taste like), lemony and funky with some interesting spices.

Medium-bodied with average carbonation and average acidity.

Good stuff. Unique for sure, and very drinkable.

Cantillon Mamouche from Brasserie Cantillon