1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cantillon Mamouche - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon MamoucheCantillon Mamouche

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Cantillon Zwanze 2009 = Elder flowers. In 2010, Cantillon re-released this beer as Mamouche (same beer), which will be brewed on a regular basis.

(Beer added by: rvdoorn on 11-07-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 440 | Reviews: 142 | Show All Ratings:
sweemzander

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

2009 Zwanze. Bottle poured into a tasting glass. Huge thanks to Steve for bringing this to share!

(A)- Pours a hazy yellow/goldenrod color with a decent white head.

(S)- A floral aroma combined with an interesting chili pepper-like spice. Some mild/subtle white grape notes.

(T)- Funky and dry with that mild floral and pepper profile from the smell. Sour, but fitting. Mild fruits.

(M)- A good carbonation level and and balance. Dry/funky/ and sour, but smooth too. The floral/pepper aspect is the predominate profile in this.

(D)- Certainly a different look at the style. Fun and engaging for sure.

10-25-2010 18:03:34 | More by sweemzander
kbutler1

3.8/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle. 2009 Zwanze. Opens with a very minimal pop. The cork was completely crappy and took a lot of work to get out. Slightly hazed yellow straw color with a nice head. The aroma is floral wih a then strong green chili notes and some bread like qualities. The taste is also fairly floral with the chilis making their presence known. Lingering bitterness. Some citrus zesty lemon notes as well. Light mouthfeel. Overall, an interesting beer that is drinkable but has a very unique flavor that I think is either love it or hate it.

10-25-2010 13:21:47 | More by kbutler1
alcstradamus

Washington

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%

Thanks to the "King of Beers" Steve for sharing this one.

Poured into a 5 oz. taster glass. Not a proper vessel for reviewing appearance, so my rating for this category is adjusted to create an accurate overall score.

Murky golden yellow in color. The aroma has a strong sensation of chilis and pita bread. A dirty earthiness underneath, and some sunflower seed nuttiness.

The flavor is very grassy/herbal. The chili spiciness (the elderflower) which was strong on the nose is a bit more subdued in the flavor, but still very present. Lemon zest and hay round out the flavor profile. Pretty sour, but not compared to some of the more potent Cantillons.

The body and carbonation levels are appropriate for the style (good). Overall, I felt this beer was extremely unique, but it was more of a noteworthy curiosity rather than an enjoyable drinking experience.

10-24-2010 23:31:17 | More by alcstradamus
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.53/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Zwanze 2009 Edition

Pours a white head. Decent retention. Color is a hazed golden orange.

Aroma: More elder flowers than the mamouche. Big herbal floral notes. It also has a big pepper burn to it with chiles here.

Taste: Big amount of chiles and pepper. Kind of spicy. However, it is more herbal and floral than the mamouche. A big grassy, oaky, and funky with vinegar notes. Some lemon citrus and acidity.

Mouthfeel: Sour, tart, funky, spicy. Light bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends fairly clean.

Overall, I like it better than the mamouche. It has more elderflowers and it works better with the spices. Somewhat drinkable.

10-22-2010 22:25:52 | More by mothman
ShadesOfGray

4.7/5  rDev +13%

Reviewed from notes from a tasting...

Poured from a 750ml cork and capped bottle into my Cantillon snifter glass. Pours a hazy yellow color...kinda straw-like in color. A decent amount of fizzy white head rises relatively quick...and maintains good retention! Leaves a spotty fizzy lacing.

Aroma is kind of what I expected...but that doesn't mean it's a let down in any respects. Very floral from the elder flowers. Funk and zest is mild; tartness is also noticeable. Picking up slight lemon and citrus fruit notes as well.

Wow! Cantillon never dissapoints! Loads of citrus, lemon peel, oak, and sharp crisp tartness! The floral aspect isn't over the top; rather the mild funk and strong tartness are in the fore-front. Finishes slightly dry...mild carbonation. Light to medium body. And of course, like all Cantillon lambics, booze isn't noticeable. This is why I love Cantillon beers! I haven't had one yet that I didn't love...but this one specifically is just simply wonderful!

10-15-2010 02:50:52 | More by ShadesOfGray
nickd717

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Ah, I love it when a once-rare beer is re-released under an alias and I get a chance to tick it after missing out. Zwanze '09...now called Mamouche...COUNT...THE...TIIIICK. 750ml bottle thanks to Nick3.

Pours hazy golden with a one-finger white head that leaves thick foam on the beer.

Very floral and spicy aroma, with less typical Cantillon funk than I expected.

Slightly sweet (believe it or not) pale malt with elderflowers (haha like I know what those taste like), lemony and funky with some interesting spices.

Medium-bodied with average carbonation and average acidity.

Good stuff. Unique for sure, and very drinkable.

10-08-2010 23:58:36 | More by nickd717
sisuspeed

New Hampshire

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks to Dave for bringing over this treat!

Pours a cloudy orange with a nice foamy white head. Spritzy bubbles rising up from the bottom. A few patches of lacing.

Sharp, grassy, somewhat spicy elderflowers on the nose. A touch of brett and funk. Mustiness and sweet malts. The elderflowers really define this. Pretty cool.

Like the nose, the elderflowers are fairly dominant in the flavor and add an interesting spiced bitterness. Juicy light fruits mix with the elderflowers. Herbal tea like flavors. This beer starts to grow on you after awhile.

Mouthfeel is smooth with perfect prickly carbonation. Good sourness for a younger beer. Nice balance between bitterness and sweetness.

Drinkability is good. The elderflowers really add a lot of character to the beer and make it a unique addition to the Cantillon line up. Not my favorite Cantillon, but still quite good and definitely worth seeking out.

10-05-2010 15:49:04 | More by sisuspeed
largadeer

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Bottled June 15, 2010.

Pretty standard lambic appearance, straw-colored with nice lively carbonation. A gentle pour leaves me with two fingers of foam that slowly settles to a crown.

The aroma is unlike any other lambic I've tried; very floral and peppery, perfumey, somewhat herbal - the elderflowers almost overwhelm Cantillon's signature barnyard funk, but I think it will even out with age. There's a touch of lactic sourness and musty oak, but it's buried.

There's a bit more balance on the palate, elderflowers still lending an unusual peppery and floral character up front, but there's plenty of tannic oak and musty funk to support it. Sourness is fairly reserved at this point, but it's a fresh bottle. I enjoyed this quite a bit, but I think it needs a year or two to come into its own.

1/25/2011: 4 or 5 bottles later and I find myself loving this beer. Very unique and enjoyable.

09-30-2010 19:49:49 | More by largadeer
Viggo

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

750 ml corked and capped bottle at beerbistro.

Pours a lightly hazy straw yellow, medium sized white head forms and settles down to a medium layer and ring around the glass, good retention for a lambic, some lace spots stick.

Smell is real neat, elder flowers, barnyardy funk, lemons, leather, horse blanket, a bit of toast and biscuit maltiness, lightly fruity and acidic, some oak, not as sour as some Cantillons, real nice character.

Taste is nice too, almost has a fruit leather flavour in a good way, some biscuity malt, elderberries/flowers, some sour fruit, a bit of lemon peel acidity, some orange, very funky, wheat, earthy, woody finish, neat character.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with low carbonation. Very drinkable stuff, more funky than sour and acidic. Really nice!

09-13-2010 17:52:44 | More by Viggo
kwjd

3.95/5  rDev -5%

Shared a bottle with Sammy at Beer Bistro in Toronto. Pours a pale yellow with huge white fluffy head. Smell is quite sour, with some herbs and berries. The sour flavour is pretty big for me, though I haven't tried too many sour beers yet. I had to have a glass of water part way in to cleanse my palate a bit, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Huge carbonation level.

08-30-2010 02:57:43 | More by kwjd
Sammy

3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

Bomber at Beerbistro shared with Ken. Cloudy yellow with orange tinge, and alcey. Funky aroma, but pleasant not barnyard, with some herbs. Lambic, some sourness that is hidden behind herbal and definate elderberries. The palate feels a delayed harshness. A break of water helped to get through it, and I imagine food would certainly.

08-29-2010 20:22:09 | More by Sammy
koopa

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

750ml bottle shared with beerloco along with a 2010 vintage.

Appearance: Pours a golden orange with a one finger fine white crown that shows moderate retention but good lace. Not as radiant as the 2010 vintage but similar otherwise.

Smell: Strong elderflower sweetness and bitterness over moderate Cantillon funk.

Taste: Same as nose. Not as floral as Cuvee des Fleurs from Southampton, but pungent none the less.

Mouthfeel: Thin side of medium bodied with slightly prickly carbonation.

Drinkability: Flowers are beautiful :)

08-28-2010 02:07:22 | More by koopa
AgentZero

3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

Thanks to MasterSki for sharing this at our Epic Chicago Tasting. Our bottle was an '09 "Zwanze" one, as opposed to the newly re-monikered "Mamouche."

A - A golden color that is a little bit hazy. Clear on the edges, has some huge, good looking bubbles.

S - A huge flower smell, really dominates in this brew. It's unlike anything I have smelled before, and I guess that is what elder flowers are, very sweet and fresh-cut flowery aroma. A bit of pepper and grass with a slight bit of funk.

T - It's a bit sweet, with some lemon and a little bit of wood. Huge flower taste, honestly it's a bit overpowering and I have to try to ignore it. Tastes like I'm eating a flower. The beer has a very unique taste, but it's not my thing.

M - Light and bubbly with a slightly dry finish.

D - Pretty good and light, but the flower taste makes it hard to drink tons.

I think this is a beer that you're either going want a lot more of, or not have again. I don't care a ton if I encounter this again.

08-26-2010 06:13:55 | More by AgentZero
bobsy

4.93/5  rDev +18.5%

Bottle at Beerbistro. Lambic with elderflower.

Pours a slightly hazy gold with a finger of white head that drops to a fine film leaving a few spots of lace behind. The nose is wonderfully floral, herbal and peppery with a strong elderflower presence forcing out the lighter touch of funk and citric sourness. Its really quite summery and clean in its profile and a joy to sniff.

I used to drink elderflower cordial a lot when I was a kid. My mom used to get this stuff and you added water to the syrup to make a nice light summer drink. The taste of elderflower rocks - its kind of like a cross between white grape and flowers, and that's exactly what we have here in all its natural glory. The sourness is mild and balanced, showing Cantillon's deft hand. There's some pepper and funk in the finish, but overall its probably one of their more accessible offerings. Quite exquisite. The refreshing quality of the elderflower is echoed by a queching body that transcends to a dry finish. Low level carbonation is perfectly matched.

As I mentioned, this is one of the more accessible Cantillons I've come across (unless I'm becoming immune). Its hugely drinkable, and a pleasure to consume. Super-win.

08-12-2010 13:26:19 | More by bobsy
jrallen34

3.95/5  rDev -5%

Thanks to Masterski for bringing this to our big time Chicago tasting.

750 ml bottle into my Narke tulip...Pour is nothing to discuss as this beer is all about the elder flowers. Going in I had no idea what one smelled like, now I know, and I won't be searching them out again. A super strong acidic chilipepperish aroma attacks your nose from the start almost stinging it like a whiff of a strong medication. I can almost visualize waves of the aroma coming off it like its some cartoon characterization..The taste is much of the same, but thankfully its toned down a bit and not nearly as harsh. The astringency is much weaker, especially as your drink it, I guess you almost get used it to. Its certainly a unique flavor, something probably worth trying but one that is just not for me, despite a relatively high score that I give it for its uniqueness and effort.

08-04-2010 19:25:51 | More by jrallen34
Sean9689

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

750ml bottle, shared by Masterski, at the Epic Chicago Tasting. Poured into Rochefort Tulip.

A - Pours a fizzy golden yellow color which leaves a thin ring, ultra-thin cap, and no lacing.

S - Catsup (I have no clue...), floral notes, funk, tart/sour, some pepper, barnyard.

T - Sour/tart notes, a medium level of funk, horseblanket, some wood in there as well, and a rose pedal/floral finish.

M - Light to medium, crips, champagne-esk carbonation, dry finish.

D - I personally liked this one and enjoyed the floral notes. I would def drink again and would love to see how this one ages as well.

08-02-2010 17:12:46 | More by Sean9689
MasterSki

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

One of my contributions to last night's tasting extravaganza. Served in a Westvleteren chalice.

A - Pours with a finger or so of eggshell foam that dissipates to a thick collar and hazy film, leaving behind a few spots of lace. The body is a slightly hazed peach/apricot color.

S - Peppery and floral - the elder flowers are front and center, imparting salt, pepper, and dill notes. There is some light barnyard, as well as lemons, white wine vinegar, and stone fruits. Unique, and I'm finding the elder flower to have mellowed since the last time I had this back in March.

T - Taste is more sour, with significantly less floral and pepper flavors. I get the sense that the lambic is starting to "win" as Arne would put it. Again, there is lemon and citrus, with a bit of understated funk.

M - Super dry, light-bodied, refreshing. Carbonation is present, but not overly tingly. Pretty standard here.

D - This was pretty easy to drink. I could have had a significant amount of this one. I get the feeling that the elder flower flavor is pretty polarizing - if you don't like it you probably won't enjoy this very much. Thankfully I'm in the like it camp.

08-02-2010 01:11:48 | More by MasterSki
craytonic

District of Columbia

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%

Appearance: Murky yellow-orange, nice head but no lacing.

Aroma: Bitter, perhaps a bit floral with some faint citrus and wood. I have neither smelled nor tasted an elder flower so this is a bit hard to judge.

Taste: Floral, I assume elder flowers, with taragon, citrus, and wood. Not as sour, funky or tar as a typical Cantillon.

Mouthfeel: A bit thin, but otherwise good.

Drinkability: Interesting and not something I would pursue again. A few ounces would have been plenty. It does taste better after it breaths some.

07-05-2010 02:21:49 | More by craytonic
boothbeer

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

Graduation Sour Tasting. Split 4 ways.

A: Pours a light yellow color with a thin white head. head holds up well and dissipates slowly.

S: Smells almost like perfume. Very flowery with some spiciness to it. And I actually think I smell hops? Must be the elderflowers. Not what I was expecting, but it is just an excellent aroma.

T: Whoa! The flavor is way different than I expected. I pick up mustard seed and pickles. Get some peppery/ spicy notes as well. I dont really care for this taste too much.

M: Medium balance. Not too sour or carbonated.

D: One could probably drink a lot of this, but I'm not sure I would really want to. I could smell it all day though!

05-29-2010 03:05:00 | More by boothbeer
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Zwanze 2009 very generously shared by ygtbsm94. Thanks Brad!

A: Appears a very hazy straw color with a huge head and copious amounts of lacing. Much more head and lacing than I was expecting from a Cantillon brew.

S: OK...this is shockingly different than any beer I have ever smelled. Huge herbal and floral aromas combined with an intense scent of what can only be elderflowers. Points for intrigue, originality, allure and potency. Wow...

T: Again, a taste unlike anything I have ever had. Peppers, peppercorn, vegetable garden, chiles, jalapenos, pickles, and flowers. What a combination. If you could imagine drinking an herb & vegetable garden, this is it. Normally, when one describes a beer as tasting vegetal, the statement carries a negative connotation. Not the case here - a special experience for your taste buds provided by Cantillon.

M: Zwanze 2009 is unique in every aspect. The finish is quite dry with pronounced floral notes.

D: Profoundly interesting. What an experience. This is a great beer to share with a few folks. I am thrilled at the opportunity to try this rare delicacy.

05-18-2010 03:03:52 | More by Huhzubendah
drabmuh

Maryland

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Seriously Brad? We can drink the Zwanze 2009? Awesome.

This is one of those that I NEVER thought I would get to try. EVER. I guess never say never.

Beer is yellow and hazy (very hazy) and forms a white head of medium to small bubbles. Carbonation is high and there is a lot of lacing on the glass. Yes, there is a ton of lacing on a lambic glass. A ton.

OK, I don't know what elderflowers are but the aroma of this beer was a complete shocking surprise. Cantillon beers are awesome and amazing but they all have similar aromas. I'm not saying that there isn't subtlety and variation in their aromas, I'm saying that there are characteristics that they all share. Not this one. The first impression I got when I smelled it was vegetal. It was like a salad with green peppers or crushed peppercorns. There is almost a hoppy note to it. Very herbal overall.

Beer is medium to light in body, slightly more body than other Cantillons I've had recently. Pretty bitter as well, very herbal in the bitterness still I'm getting some flowery / hoppy characters in the back. The beer is almost spicy in a sense, still pepper character in there. Beer is overall balanced and unique. The oddest lambic I've had from Cantillon. Still pretty good.

05-17-2010 18:32:21 | More by drabmuh
rhinos00

Colorado

3.7/5  rDev -11.1%

Thanks Anders for giving me this opportunity. Poured from a 750 mL bottle into four tulip glasses.

A- Pours a semi-hazy golden color. Produced two fingers of white, foamy head. Dissipated to a thick foamy, film through consumption. Great head retention.

S- Elderflowers dominate. Very floral, almost perfume-like. The combination of aromas give off a scent akin to the unlikely combination of floral hops and chili peppers.

T- Upfront the beer has a sweet flavor combined with a bit of farmhouse funk. Almost instantly, the elderflowers takeover. Adds a peppery flavor combined with some sourness. Transitions into a spicy pepper, sweet finish. One of the most unique sours I have ever had.

M- Light to medium bodied. Just enough carbonation. Coats the palate well.

D- The elderflowers were too much for me. Bottom line.

Overall, a very unique beer, but as states above, the elderflowers really need to be toned down.

05-06-2010 02:29:16 | More by rhinos00
alfrantzell

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

[I had this beer as Zwanze 2009, which is a slightly different recipe than Mamouche]

The elderflowers in this beer are perfumey, dusty, and heather-like. The resulting lambic is like a gruit/lambic hybrid, if you can believe it.

Copper colored, this one is flowery and dry. Given the absurdly short amount of time the flowers spent in the beer (two days, if I understood rightly) it packs a punch. The violet taste conceals the funk, unfortunately.

Sour perfume is the result. An interesting, if two dimensional beer.

04-16-2010 13:07:40 | More by alfrantzell
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

Bottle: Poured a dirty yellowish color lambic with a large foamy head with good retention and some very good lacing as well. Aroma is absolutely dominated by elder flowers and is somewhat of an acquired taste. Taste is also dominated by elder flowers and provides a floral and somewhat peppery taste to this beer which is well integrated with the tart and oak from the base lambic. Very refreshing overall though a bit too much flowers for my taste.

04-01-2010 16:45:52 | More by Phyl21ca
deltatauhobbit

Maine

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

A treat that Chris brought over from his trip to Belgium. At the Lion's Pride when he just got back from his flight, rolled in and pulled out some surprises, this just happened to be one of them.

Pours a golden color, good amount of haze in it, not much in the way of head or lacing.

Smell is quite unique, made with something called elder flowers, I guess this is their first time making anything with it, certainly has a unique funk/flower aroma bouncing around in my nose, bit of sour and spice, Cantillon might need to do some more with these elder flowers.

Taste is quite sour/tart, caught me off-guard after drinking an '84 gueuze that was more sweet than sour, wonderful sourness in this beer and definitely picking up some of the spice that the flowers contribute, definitely finished dry but left you wanting more.

03-10-2010 03:54:56 | More by deltatauhobbit