Microbrew Invitational

Cantillon MamoucheCantillon Mamouche

Brasserie Cantillon
Belgium | website

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Cantillon Zwanze 2009 = Elder flowers. In 2010, Cantillon re-released this beer as Mamouche (same beer), which will be brewed on a regular basis.

Added by rvdoorn on 11-07-2009

Reviews: 174 | Ratings: 771
4.55/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

reviewed from notes when it was zwanze 2009

Light golden amber in color with with a big foamy head of white on top. Really cloudy and hazy and this gave it a much fuller look. Definitley going to be a winner here. Ohh, the rich funky nose on this one, I am melting into the chair. very earthy balance too it and soo floral like a meadow, really very nice.wow. Not too heavy, and the tartness and sour is perfectly placed. As I sip I close my eyes and the tartest granny smith apple I have ever had combines with a pear and flower notes. not Lip puckering, perfectly balanced. I am floored. Letting itlsit perhaps a touch of cherries works its way in, still light hops drying the palate and sourness that is not overwhelming but just will not quit. Perfect carbonation and medium body with no hint of alcohol at all.

Overall a great beer and another winner from a brewery that can do no wrong it seems!

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

I received this beer in an in-person trade at the Alvinne festival in Belgium and had been looking forward to trying it.

This beer poured to be a hazy orange color with a thick white head. Right away you can smell a strong interesting aroma of floral essence. Sour, smooth, great beer overall. I've become a big fan of cantillon beers!

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%

Cantillon one of the best breweries in the world just continues to make damn good beers and this is one of the many that they do. The beer pours a nice golden straw color and has good carbonation. The aroma is funky and floral, I have no clue what Elder Flowres smell like but I detect a different note in this beer from other Cantillon offerings. The taste starts sour and puckering and then finishes dry with the floral note. Really nice beer.
cheers

4.06/5  rDev -1.9%

Mamouche. From a bottle, pours a lightly hazy orange with a large white head that recedes fairly quickly and loudly. Beautiful look. Nose is herbal, mint-like, softly funky, a touch cheesy. Flavor is very heavy on the elder flowers, which comes across with a heavily herbal quality. When they tend toward minty I'm not sure if I like it. As it breaths it balances out a bit. It's actually a fun beer, kind of singular, not one of their more funky or sour offerings, but definitely well executed and pretty tasty.

3.85/5  rDev -7%

Thanks to FeDUBBELFIST for sharing this brew at a recent tasting.

Poured into a mini snifter, this brew appears a hazed orange with big bubbly white head that fizzes away rapidly. A swirl revives the cap back to a finger's strength with some yellowish stained coloration.

The smell of this brew initially is malty sweet like caramel which changes to a spiced aspect that is reminiscent of green peppers, lemon, funk, flowers and herbs. This is quite a unique offering that takes the usage of the word herbal to whole new level. The green pepper aspect is quite unique with an earthy character.

The taste is equally shocking after taking in the nose of this brew. It tastes herbal with sourness and funked acidity along with an earthy floral taste. The finish of this brew is peppery but not in a spiced pepper flavor, it's more of a herbal, green pepper taste. Certainly a unique experience.

This is a medium bodied brew with a bold amount of carbonation. One of the most unique brew's I've had in awhile, it's funky, salivating and fizzy on the tongue. Certainly worth a try if you get the chance. Thanks again Kiel.

3.92/5  rDev -5.3%

I was happy FEdubbelfist shared this at Stakem's and I got a chance to try it.

A slightly creamy golden appearance with modest white cap, slight haze from the elder flower, I suppose, bead is fine. The smell is mildly dank with some medicinal and savory/herbal elements -a very unique aroma with some funk from the yeast. The feel is good, slightly dry and herbal again which translates to slightly bitter w/ that funky yeast texture which comes off dry/spicey and moderately carbonated lighter medium body.

I enjoyed the taste which has plenty of herbal qualities which I would compare to fennel and perhaps a slight tinge of very mild pepper and cooking herbs like sage w/ a pinch of anise, maybe. It is very hard to put my finger on what is contributed by the elderflower since I never had it before and I am sure some of the flavor comes from the yeast and other bacteria making it even more complex. I think you really have to have an open mind since it doesn't have much in the way of sweetness. It is very earthy and compares in a way to Gruit with the astringent herbal notes. Overall I say it is not the best I have had from Cantillon, but it is definitely unique and worth trying -especially if you enjoy more earthy/herbal flavored beer.

2.64/5  rDev -36.2%

From 03/19/11 notes. Brought this to a small tasting, always excited to try a new Cantillon beer.

a - Pours a clear orange-amber color with one finger of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of pepper, spices, light fruit, green peppers and jalapeno peppers. A little spicey and way overdone on the peppers.

t - Again tastes of jalapeno peppers, spices, pepper, light tart fruit, floral, and green peppers. Every few sips it seems to be pretty spicey as well.

m - Light body and moderate carbonation, but too spicy on the tongue.

d - Finally found a Cantillon beer I didn't like. Normally I can't get enough of Cantillon's but I did not want any more of this one. I wasn't sure what elderflowers would smell or taste like but apparently it's peppers. Most people at the tasting enjoyed this one a lot, but to me it was too spicey and dominated by peppers. Wouldn't seek it out again.

2.66/5  rDev -35.7%

Big thanks to mdfb79 for opening up this bottle at last night's tasting. Served in a Bruery tulip.

Pours golden with a big, foamy white head. Some good lacing as it went down. The nose brought forward quite a bit of jalapeno skin and green peppers. Very odd. There is a bit of light floral character there as well, in addition to some mild herbs. The pepper character is really overwhelming, and takes the flavor even more. Really odd and not very enjoyable. Some vegetable character there as well. Coasts the mouth. Really very strange and I did not enjoy this one.

4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

March 2011, bottle split with my wife at the Cantillon tasting room

A: Bright orange-amber body. Large eggshell white head that forms with each pour from the bottle. Nice retention and spotty lacing.

S: Bright floral aroma that poured out of the bottle as soon as the cork was removed. A bit of lemon-citrus and mild oak.

T: Again, the floral notes are bold and dominant. A light citrus, mild funk and sourness, and a bit of earthy oak. Not as complex and rich as the nose, but enjoyable nonetheless.

M: Medium to light body. The floral notes have a little bitterness to them. Quite effervescent. Refreshing.

O: Unique and enjoyable, but ultimately not one of Cantillon's top offerings.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

Another Cantillon for our sour night. 750 ml bottle poured into a tulip.

A: Slightly hazy, pale orange color. The pour dropped a small eggshell white head, that quickly fades to nothing.

A: Huge floral aroma here. Spicey, herbal notes, small citrus, and wet grass. The flowers really dominate the nose, and in a good way.

T: Again, huge flower domination. THe label says these are elderflowers, I don't know what that is, but I like them in this style of beer. Some grapefruit, and a very nice sour bitterness finishes the brew.

M: Light body, very nice carbonation(as with most Cantillons).

D and overall impression: Drinkability will be limited due to the floral nature of the brew. Overall, I thought this was the most one of a kind brew of the night. So floral and sour at the same time. Very unique, and for that I give it props. Skal.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Got to try this thanks to ShadesOfGray.
Pours a Bright amber color and leave nice lacing.
Smells of flowers, grapefruit, orange and slight funk.
Nicely carbonated. Flavors are very floral, very earthy, slightly woody, citrus notes, and a extremely well balanced tartness. Very refreshing, something I could drink everyday and never get sick of.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to freud for this bottle! 750mL green glass capped and wine corked. Bottled 15 June 2010. Opened at 49 degrees. When I popped the cap off, there was beer underneath...odd. The cork expanded a lot when I pulled it and it "popped" so leakage would have been odd...

Pours a bright golden amber with tiny tiny champagne bubbles and pretty thick foamy white head that leaves a little lacing.

Smells like dusty white flowers, a little sawdust, lavender, blood orange, yellow grapefruit, orange blossoms and hay. Smells like a sun setting beyond a golden field in August. (I know, a little too poetic, but still).

On the palate, the carbonation is high for the style, which I like. Flavors are very floral and somewhat woody. Pine boards, kava kava, earthen clay, some citrus rind and some piney-notes making me think there's some fun citrus-y hops in there. Sour, but well balanced with a pleasantly tart, citrus-y finish.

Notes: This is a fine lambic. I will say that the appearance and the nose outdo the palate. Recommended for a drink now lambic.

3.97/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Date on bottle: 15 June 2010

A: A bit of seepage upon opening the bottle cap, and a wet cork. Pours a bright albeit cloudy yellow, loads of head with good retention and moderate lacing. Very small bubbles of vigorous carbonation upon first pour, almost champagne-like, that settles down after a while.

S: A good mix of the classic lambic funk I've come to expect from Cantillon (barnyard, wet sock, etc) combined with a distinct elderflower aroma. Very well balanced. I really like it.

T: I'm not sure whether it's the blending with the elderflowers or the base lambic used, but to me the sourness seems somewhat low compared to some of the other Cantillon brews I've had, and not due to any particular sweetness. It does, however, get a bit more assertive as it warms. Big floral hit in the middle with a slightly unpleasant dry back end that I can't quite put my finger on.

M: A fairly light body with good carbonation.

D: A worthy new addition to the Cantillon range. I find this very drinkable. My memory is a bit hazy after the brewery tour, but from what I recall I bought this 75cl bottle at somewhere between 5 and 7 Euros from the brewery, which to me seems very reasonable. However, I have no idea what the imported price would be like.

3.55/5  rDev -14.3%

Cantillon Mamouche, purchased at the brewery during a weekend in Brussels last month. The label describes as such: "Elderflowers, handpicked by the Cantillon team and soaked in 2 years old lambic. Beer with evolving flavor. Keep and serve at cellar temperature. To be drunk preferably within 10 years after the bottling date."

I opened this one during a lazy day between Christmas and New Years Eve. After removing the cork I saw a little liquid seeping around the cork, nothing serious, just interesting. The cork came out with a nice audible, very good carbonation.

Light orange straw color, SRM of 3-4, initially clear but becoming a little hazy with subsequent pours. A very nice foam that never quite goes away, a solid cap on the liquid, not sticky enough to give lasting lace.

This has a very unique aroma, apparently elderflowers but I wouldn't know as I've never been exposed previous to this. To me it's a little peppery and evokes wet green vegetation. Behind this is the the standard barnyard funk that you expect from Cantillon, but the elderflowers play the lead role.

It tastes like elderflowers, I guess. Very light tartness, not bad but I would prefer a little more funk. Possibly less flowers would make me happy but I'm not employed by Cantillon so what do I know.

Medium bodied, nice carbonation as previously noted. Far from my favorite from Cantillon, but still a very interesting lambic.

3.56/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

from notes. Zwanze 2009. Thanks Mikey.

whoa this beer was weird.

poured orangey amberish with some haze and decent lace.

Super pungent nose, like you stuck your nose in a spice mill, just tons of pepper, overwhelming at first with some floral perfume emanating. Bretty taste, perfumey spice throughout, with a musty floral earthiness throughout but not too acidic. The dominant character is from these elderflowers. Really odd. Tons of assertive bretty flavor, good carb but not spritzery. Not my favorite cantillon but nice to try for sure. I'll revisit the madouche - i mean, mamouche version.

3.68/5  rDev -11.1%

Huge thanks to Steve for kicking off our tasting with this rarity.

Poured into my tasting glass.

A: Golden yellow, small white head , soapy lace.

S: Zesty lemon and spiced chilies are the first thing that came to mind. The typical funky tartness is present as well. Slight lactic. Rather tame overall.

T: Tart lemon and green apple skins. Lactic sour with a solid dose of barn yard funk.

M: light crisp body. Bone dry finish. Mild carbonation.

D: Overall a decent if unremarkable beer. Glad I got a shot at it.

3.58/5  rDev -13.5%

Shared at a tasting. 3oz. pour into a snifter. Reviewed from notes. Bottle is Zwanze 2009.

A: Pours a .5 finger white head that dissipates quickly. Beer is a cloudy yellow. Lacing is spotty but with decent stick.

S: Nose is very weird here. Notes of a bunch of different spices, chili peppers, and black pepper. Normal brett and funk is conspicuosly missing. Not bad by any means but really not the norm.

T: Opens tart. Lemon, brett, and mustiness. Middle just becomes stranger and stranger. A slight bit of heat comes along with chili peppers and black pepper in the background. Thankfully, sourness intensifies a bit to cover the otherwise awkward flavors. Finishes rather clean with a subtle peppery aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied with light carbonation. Smooth in the mouth but the flavors this one carries makes it a little abrasive in parts. Finish is clean with an aftertaste that lingers just a bit.

D: Not one of my favorite offerings from Cantillon but they can't all be winners. Flavor is a bit weird and the spiciness just doesn't work with the sour flavor this beer has. Not bad by any means and I'd love to try it again in the future... I'm just not as eager to revisit it as I would some other lambics.

3.85/5  rDev -7%

2009 Zwanze. Bottle poured into a tasting glass. Huge thanks to Steve for bringing this to share!

(A)- Pours a hazy yellow/goldenrod color with a decent white head.

(S)- A floral aroma combined with an interesting chili pepper-like spice. Some mild/subtle white grape notes.

(T)- Funky and dry with that mild floral and pepper profile from the smell. Sour, but fitting. Mild fruits.

(M)- A good carbonation level and and balance. Dry/funky/ and sour, but smooth too. The floral/pepper aspect is the predominate profile in this.

(D)- Certainly a different look at the style. Fun and engaging for sure.

3.81/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle. 2009 Zwanze. Opens with a very minimal pop. The cork was completely crappy and took a lot of work to get out. Slightly hazed yellow straw color with a nice head. The aroma is floral wih a then strong green chili notes and some bread like qualities. The taste is also fairly floral with the chilis making their presence known. Lingering bitterness. Some citrus zesty lemon notes as well. Light mouthfeel. Overall, an interesting beer that is drinkable but has a very unique flavor that I think is either love it or hate it.

3.48/5  rDev -15.9%

Thanks to the "King of Beers" Steve for sharing this one.

Poured into a 5 oz. taster glass. Not a proper vessel for reviewing appearance, so my rating for this category is adjusted to create an accurate overall score.

Murky golden yellow in color. The aroma has a strong sensation of chilis and pita bread. A dirty earthiness underneath, and some sunflower seed nuttiness.

The flavor is very grassy/herbal. The chili spiciness (the elderflower) which was strong on the nose is a bit more subdued in the flavor, but still very present. Lemon zest and hay round out the flavor profile. Pretty sour, but not compared to some of the more potent Cantillons.

The body and carbonation levels are appropriate for the style (good). Overall, I felt this beer was extremely unique, but it was more of a noteworthy curiosity rather than an enjoyable drinking experience.

3.53/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Zwanze 2009 Edition

Pours a white head. Decent retention. Color is a hazed golden orange.

Aroma: More elder flowers than the mamouche. Big herbal floral notes. It also has a big pepper burn to it with chiles here.

Taste: Big amount of chiles and pepper. Kind of spicy. However, it is more herbal and floral than the mamouche. A big grassy, oaky, and funky with vinegar notes. Some lemon citrus and acidity.

Mouthfeel: Sour, tart, funky, spicy. Light bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends fairly clean.

Overall, I like it better than the mamouche. It has more elderflowers and it works better with the spices. Somewhat drinkable.

4.67/5  rDev +12.8%

Reviewed from notes from a tasting...

Poured from a 750ml cork and capped bottle into my Cantillon snifter glass. Pours a hazy yellow color...kinda straw-like in color. A decent amount of fizzy white head rises relatively quick...and maintains good retention! Leaves a spotty fizzy lacing.

Aroma is kind of what I expected...but that doesn't mean it's a let down in any respects. Very floral from the elder flowers. Funk and zest is mild; tartness is also noticeable. Picking up slight lemon and citrus fruit notes as well.

Wow! Cantillon never dissapoints! Loads of citrus, lemon peel, oak, and sharp crisp tartness! The floral aspect isn't over the top; rather the mild funk and strong tartness are in the fore-front. Finishes slightly dry...mild carbonation. Light to medium body. And of course, like all Cantillon lambics, booze isn't noticeable. This is why I love Cantillon beers! I haven't had one yet that I didn't love...but this one specifically is just simply wonderful!

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

Ah, I love it when a once-rare beer is re-released under an alias and I get a chance to tick it after missing out. Zwanze '09...now called Mamouche...COUNT...THE...TIIIICK. 750ml bottle thanks to Nick3.

Pours hazy golden with a one-finger white head that leaves thick foam on the beer.

Very floral and spicy aroma, with less typical Cantillon funk than I expected.

Slightly sweet (believe it or not) pale malt with elderflowers (haha like I know what those taste like), lemony and funky with some interesting spices.

Medium-bodied with average carbonation and average acidity.

Good stuff. Unique for sure, and very drinkable.

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

Thanks to Dave for bringing over this treat!

Pours a cloudy orange with a nice foamy white head. Spritzy bubbles rising up from the bottom. A few patches of lacing.

Sharp, grassy, somewhat spicy elderflowers on the nose. A touch of brett and funk. Mustiness and sweet malts. The elderflowers really define this. Pretty cool.

Like the nose, the elderflowers are fairly dominant in the flavor and add an interesting spiced bitterness. Juicy light fruits mix with the elderflowers. Herbal tea like flavors. This beer starts to grow on you after awhile.

Mouthfeel is smooth with perfect prickly carbonation. Good sourness for a younger beer. Nice balance between bitterness and sweetness.

Drinkability is good. The elderflowers really add a lot of character to the beer and make it a unique addition to the Cantillon line up. Not my favorite Cantillon, but still quite good and definitely worth seeking out.

4.47/5  rDev +8%

Bottled June 15, 2010.

Pretty standard lambic appearance, straw-colored with nice lively carbonation. A gentle pour leaves me with two fingers of foam that slowly settles to a crown.

The aroma is unlike any other lambic I've tried; very floral and peppery, perfumey, somewhat herbal - the elderflowers almost overwhelm Cantillon's signature barnyard funk, but I think it will even out with age. There's a touch of lactic sourness and musty oak, but it's buried.

There's a bit more balance on the palate, elderflowers still lending an unusual peppery and floral character up front, but there's plenty of tannic oak and musty funk to support it. Sourness is fairly reserved at this point, but it's a fresh bottle. I enjoyed this quite a bit, but I think it needs a year or two to come into its own.

1/25/2011: 4 or 5 bottles later and I find myself loving this beer. Very unique and enjoyable.

Cantillon Mamouche from Brasserie Cantillon