Cantillon Mamouche - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon MamoucheCantillon Mamouche

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Cantillon Zwanze 2009 = Elder flowers. In 2010, Cantillon re-released this beer as Mamouche (same beer), which will be brewed on a regular basis.

(Beer added by: rvdoorn on 11-07-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Treebs

3.8/5  rDev -8.9%

Bottle courtesy of khumbard, thanks Kevin! 750 ml capped and corked bottle served in a Deschutes tulip.

A: Pours a clear golden yellow color with a frothy, pure white head forming on the pour. Some soapy splotches of lace are left down the glass.

S: Some light funk and fresh cut grass are present. Some sweet flowery notes as well, but overall the profile seems somewhat restrained.

T: Dewy grass and sweet flowery notes. Lemon grass, green apple and some light tartness. Restrained funk and tartness on the finish.

M: Light and crisp. Refreshing with spritzy carbonation.

O: The flavors were light and slightly restrained. It was still a nice beer, but wasn't all that tart or sour.

04-29-2012 15:40:06 | More by Treebs
kbutler1

3.8/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle. 2009 Zwanze. Opens with a very minimal pop. The cork was completely crappy and took a lot of work to get out. Slightly hazed yellow straw color with a nice head. The aroma is floral wih a then strong green chili notes and some bread like qualities. The taste is also fairly floral with the chilis making their presence known. Lingering bitterness. Some citrus zesty lemon notes as well. Light mouthfeel. Overall, an interesting beer that is drinkable but has a very unique flavor that I think is either love it or hate it.

10-25-2010 13:21:47 | More by kbutler1
BMMillsy

3.81/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

June 26, 2013 corked and capped 750 ml bottle from Tipples. Pours hazy golden almost tangerine color with a half finger of white fizzy head that quickly recedes. Aroma...well this is interesting. Peaches, vinegar, floral notes, light dry oak and sourness, and yes, dill pickles. Somehow not off-putting though and the sweet peachy smell is nice. Flavor is pickle juice, sour vinegar funk, dry oak, light peaches or apricots. Weird. Light bodied but sweet with prickly high carbonation. Finishes dry. This is unique to say the least.

05-10-2014 22:31:14 | More by BMMillsy
Alieniloquium

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter. 2011 bottle.

Appearance - Pale hazy orange body. Nice big white head. Lasts forever as a pillow of foam.

Smell - Hmm. Green peppers. Grassy. Grainy. Lemony acids.

Taste - Green peppers again. Kinda malty. Sour. Grassy green sourness.

Mouthfeel - Well carbonated. Seems heavier than other Cantillons.

Overall - Still no idea what an Elderflower should taste or smell like, but this smells and tastes like green peppers.

09-30-2013 01:06:15 | More by Alieniloquium
Bendurgin

Maine

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

Huge thanks to Andy for the generous Christmas gift. Mamouche version. Poured into a tulip and shared with four friends. Pours a golden honey color with a huge airy head. The head settles down to a thin layer of foam.

Very floral and perfumy on the aroma. A slight golden delicious apple aroma and a little bit of oak and must. A little bit sweet on the pallet; it really reminds me of dried apples. Floral flavors and just a little bit of lemon in the finish making it a little bit tart. Kind of oaky on the finish.

Light crisp feel but the carbonation seems a little bit exposive. Overall an interesting beer. I'm having a little trouble summing it up here because it seems so unique. Enjoyable and worth trying.

06-22-2011 00:44:04 | More by Bendurgin
stakem

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

Thanks to FeDUBBELFIST for sharing this brew at a recent tasting.

Poured into a mini snifter, this brew appears a hazed orange with big bubbly white head that fizzes away rapidly. A swirl revives the cap back to a finger's strength with some yellowish stained coloration.

The smell of this brew initially is malty sweet like caramel which changes to a spiced aspect that is reminiscent of green peppers, lemon, funk, flowers and herbs. This is quite a unique offering that takes the usage of the word herbal to whole new level. The green pepper aspect is quite unique with an earthy character.

The taste is equally shocking after taking in the nose of this brew. It tastes herbal with sourness and funked acidity along with an earthy floral taste. The finish of this brew is peppery but not in a spiced pepper flavor, it's more of a herbal, green pepper taste. Certainly a unique experience.

This is a medium bodied brew with a bold amount of carbonation. One of the most unique brew's I've had in awhile, it's funky, salivating and fizzy on the tongue. Certainly worth a try if you get the chance. Thanks again Kiel.

04-11-2011 13:35:08 | More by stakem
AlexFields

Tennessee

3.86/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured in July 2011 for my birthday Cantillon tasting.

Dark hazy orange color.

Smells very unusual. Like no other beer I've smelled really, hard to identify any particular scents. Maybe some odd floral notes, some odd citrus. Mainly my reaction was "what the heck is that smell?" It's hard to assign a rating to a smell when your main reaction is surprise, but I'll give this one some points just for being so unique and memorable.

Taste is just as unusual as the smell. What the heck? I've never eaten elderflowers, but I expected something much closer to other flower flavors I've had in beer--chrysanthemum, rose, etc. This was not remotely like those things. A very dark, tangy kind of floral flavor, not at all what you'd expect from the pretty white flowers on the label. The sourness is also a very odd kind of sourness, reminds me much more of eating a grapefruit than of drinking a sour beer. There's some grapefruit and other weird citrus in the flavor too.

This is a totally unique beer that really caught me off guard, but I definitely liked it and would love to try it again now that I'm better prepared for it.

8.0/10

07-07-2011 17:35:59 | More by AlexFields
sweemzander

3.88/5  rDev -7%

2009 Zwanze. Bottle poured into a tasting glass. Huge thanks to Steve for bringing this to share!

(A)- Pours a hazy yellow/goldenrod color with a decent white head.

(S)- A floral aroma combined with an interesting chili pepper-like spice. Some mild/subtle white grape notes.

(T)- Funky and dry with that mild floral and pepper profile from the smell. Sour, but fitting. Mild fruits.

(M)- A good carbonation level and and balance. Dry/funky/ and sour, but smooth too. The floral/pepper aspect is the predominate profile in this.

(D)- Certainly a different look at the style. Fun and engaging for sure.

10-25-2010 18:03:34 | More by sweemzander
AleWatcher

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Ontap at Bavarian Lodge in Lisle IL.

Lightly hazed golden apricot body with a thin white head that settled into a little collar. No lacing.

Smells like a regular gueuze-- some lemony citrus blends with oaky notes while a little woody floral note kicks in on the backend.
The flavor has a light wheat malt nore up front with a decent sour bite on the back.

This is not a fruited Lambic-- this should just be called a gueuze... And in terms of gueuze, it isn't bad... But it isn't the best, even of the ones by Cantillon.

Kinda thin an oily feeling.

02-11-2012 23:11:12 | More by AleWatcher
HopHead84

2/20/2010

Bottle shared by Yespr at Woodshop 5.0. Thanks! The beer pours hazy light yellow golden.

The nose is very strange and unlike anything else I've come across. The Elderflower presence is dominant, pervading every aspect of the aroma. Unlike most Cantillon beers, the nose isn't super funky, but subtle cheese and barnyard notes are evident. I also detect notes of citrus, dill, and oak. This Elderflower imparts a very unique character.

The beer is salty and earthy, with notes of citrus, oak, dill, and musty cheese. The Elderflower tastes herbal and rather strange, but interesting. The finish is dry and moderately sour with a lingering floral presence. This is a unique and enjoyable beer, though not particularly drinkable. The few ounces were enough for me.

02-22-2010 22:26:00 | More by HopHead84
alfrantzell

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

[I had this beer as Zwanze 2009, which is a slightly different recipe than Mamouche]

The elderflowers in this beer are perfumey, dusty, and heather-like. The resulting lambic is like a gruit/lambic hybrid, if you can believe it.

Copper colored, this one is flowery and dry. Given the absurdly short amount of time the flowers spent in the beer (two days, if I understood rightly) it packs a punch. The violet taste conceals the funk, unfortunately.

Sour perfume is the result. An interesting, if two dimensional beer.

04-16-2010 13:07:40 | More by alfrantzell
DavoleBomb

3.93/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip. 2011 vintage. I always wondered why this is categorized as a fruit lambic since as far as I know, flowers aren't fruit.

3.5 A: Lightly hazed yellow orange color. Two and a half fingers of foamy white head. Retention is mediocre and no lacing is left.

4.5 S: Plenty of musty, earthy, and dirty funk in this. Pond water, sweat socks, diaper to start. Rotting peachiness, woody, lightly astringent. Lemongrass, lemon zest. The elderflowers offer a pleasant herbalness along with something along the lines of an Anaheim pepper. Fairly dry and without a lot of acidity. Perhaps a touch of lactic acid with no acetic to be found.

3.5 T: There is a surprising sour kick in the taste though. It's not super intense, but it gets the job done. Also a much bigger bitterness and tannic astringency. Perhaps it's the elderflowers that add this bitterness. I wouldn't know since I don't go into fields and munch on whatever I see. Lighter pepperiness in the taste. Lightly herbal. Dirty diaper is back along with sweat socks and pond water. Lemon and peachy fruitiness. Very oaky with a rotting wood component. Again, on the drier side.

3.5 M: Not bad here, but it could use a bit more spritz and more creaminess. Lighter body. Active carbonation. Mildly astringent aftertaste.

3.5 D: This was good and I loved the nose, but it's too bitter for my preference and the astringency is a bit distracting. I'm not sure that I'll buy this again, but it was worth a try.

03-28-2012 02:41:54 | More by DavoleBomb
Slatetank

3.93/5  rDev -5.8%

I was happy FEdubbelfist shared this at Stakem's and I got a chance to try it.

A slightly creamy golden appearance with modest white cap, slight haze from the elder flower, I suppose, bead is fine. The smell is mildly dank with some medicinal and savory/herbal elements -a very unique aroma with some funk from the yeast. The feel is good, slightly dry and herbal again which translates to slightly bitter w/ that funky yeast texture which comes off dry/spicey and moderately carbonated lighter medium body.

I enjoyed the taste which has plenty of herbal qualities which I would compare to fennel and perhaps a slight tinge of very mild pepper and cooking herbs like sage w/ a pinch of anise, maybe. It is very hard to put my finger on what is contributed by the elderflower since I never had it before and I am sure some of the flavor comes from the yeast and other bacteria making it even more complex. I think you really have to have an open mind since it doesn't have much in the way of sweetness. It is very earthy and compares in a way to Gruit with the astringent herbal notes. Overall I say it is not the best I have had from Cantillon, but it is definitely unique and worth trying -especially if you enjoy more earthy/herbal flavored beer.

04-05-2011 14:09:50 | More by Slatetank
headlessclown

Australia

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Date on bottle: 15 June 2010

A: A bit of seepage upon opening the bottle cap, and a wet cork. Pours a bright albeit cloudy yellow, loads of head with good retention and moderate lacing. Very small bubbles of vigorous carbonation upon first pour, almost champagne-like, that settles down after a while.

S: A good mix of the classic lambic funk I've come to expect from Cantillon (barnyard, wet sock, etc) combined with a distinct elderflower aroma. Very well balanced. I really like it.

T: I'm not sure whether it's the blending with the elderflowers or the base lambic used, but to me the sourness seems somewhat low compared to some of the other Cantillon brews I've had, and not due to any particular sweetness. It does, however, get a bit more assertive as it warms. Big floral hit in the middle with a slightly unpleasant dry back end that I can't quite put my finger on.

M: A fairly light body with good carbonation.

D: A worthy new addition to the Cantillon range. I find this very drinkable. My memory is a bit hazy after the brewery tour, but from what I recall I bought this 75cl bottle at somewhere between 5 and 7 Euros from the brewery, which to me seems very reasonable. However, I have no idea what the imported price would be like.

01-05-2011 18:27:20 | More by headlessclown
MattSweatshirt

Bottled 07 June 2012

Pours a little hazy darker golden color. The white head falls apart quickly.

Never smelled elderflower, but that is what seems to be most upfront. There is a grassy floral component up there. A big vegetal pepper smell as well. Some lemon and barnyard funk. Very interesting aroma going on.

This is sour but not overpoweringly so. Flower, grass, bell pepper, funky earthiness, lemon acidity. Very dry. Light-medium body with a calmer carbonation compared to other lambics.

Fun to try and extremely drinkable. The vegetal bell pepper of this took me by surprise.

01-18-2013 20:32:59 | More by MattSweatshirt
kwjd

Ontario (Canada)

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

Shared a bottle with Sammy at Beer Bistro in Toronto. Pours a pale yellow with huge white fluffy head. Smell is quite sour, with some herbs and berries. The sour flavour is pretty big for me, though I haven't tried too many sour beers yet. I had to have a glass of water part way in to cleanse my palate a bit, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Huge carbonation level.

08-30-2010 02:57:43 | More by kwjd
brew3crew

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

Had at zwanzie day. I still cannot spell that Damn word. Also known as Marmaduke.

A- hazy orange body with a white wispy head.

S-starts out fruity and maybe has a little chili powder in the end.

T-follows the nose. Very spicy. Acidic and very funky

M-medium body and smooth

O-like the spiciness. I think my dad would like this.

09-17-2011 19:26:23 | More by brew3crew
jrallen34

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

Thanks to Masterski for bringing this to our big time Chicago tasting.

750 ml bottle into my Narke tulip...Pour is nothing to discuss as this beer is all about the elder flowers. Going in I had no idea what one smelled like, now I know, and I won't be searching them out again. A super strong acidic chilipepperish aroma attacks your nose from the start almost stinging it like a whiff of a strong medication. I can almost visualize waves of the aroma coming off it like its some cartoon characterization..The taste is much of the same, but thankfully its toned down a bit and not nearly as harsh. The astringency is much weaker, especially as your drink it, I guess you almost get used it to. Its certainly a unique flavor, something probably worth trying but one that is just not for me, despite a relatively high score that I give it for its uniqueness and effort.

08-04-2010 19:25:51 | More by jrallen34
SFLpunk

Vermont

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to freud for this bottle! 750mL green glass capped and wine corked. Bottled 15 June 2010. Opened at 49 degrees. When I popped the cap off, there was beer underneath...odd. The cork expanded a lot when I pulled it and it "popped" so leakage would have been odd...

Pours a bright golden amber with tiny tiny champagne bubbles and pretty thick foamy white head that leaves a little lacing.

Smells like dusty white flowers, a little sawdust, lavender, blood orange, yellow grapefruit, orange blossoms and hay. Smells like a sun setting beyond a golden field in August. (I know, a little too poetic, but still).

On the palate, the carbonation is high for the style, which I like. Flavors are very floral and somewhat woody. Pine boards, kava kava, earthen clay, some citrus rind and some piney-notes making me think there's some fun citrus-y hops in there. Sour, but well balanced with a pleasantly tart, citrus-y finish.

Notes: This is a fine lambic. I will say that the appearance and the nose outdo the palate. Recommended for a drink now lambic.

02-23-2011 04:19:29 | More by SFLpunk
GoGriz

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

A bottle given to me by my buddy Chris (kkottonmouthkngz) after his trip to Belgium. Thanks brotha! Never had this and have always been curious. Bottled May 16th, 2011.

The cork comes out and there is nothing. No pop or wispy smoke, nothing. Beautiful looking beer. A muted tangerine color with a bright white head that hangs for awhile before subsiding to a frothy ring around the beers edge. Light cheese funk on the nose with an herbacious, light weed type scent on the finish. Not convinced I like the smell but also not sure I dislike. Zesty grapefruit as well. The flavor is really unique. Slight vinegar and citrus with some mild salt and pepper on the finish. Its like drinking a sea salt and vinegar potato chip without the potato and with the addition of lemon zest. Interesting but like the nose, confused as to how I feel about this. Mouthfeel is great with lively spritz.

Overall this beer is better than a 3.5 but it isn't a 4. The cumulative score represents my thoughts on this one.

11-11-2011 03:20:34 | More by GoGriz
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

750ml bottle poured into balloon snifter 14/6/14 cheers Kmat10 for opening the bottle

A a bit of a yeasty pour, cloudy orange liquid, a few bubbles but not a whole lot for head or lace

S floral, cheesy funk, kinda smells like taking out ragweed with a whipper snipper, caramel, lemon, apple pie filling crust included, mild spice, vinegar, and wet wood

T plenty going on much like the nose, less floral notes, some cereal comes out, sour but not overly so, not exactly what I was expecting

M almost foamy, slick on the palate, some pucker to it but mellow, strange weedy finish

O something different and interesting, I can't think of anything else I've had that's similar, not my favorite offering from Cantillon but worth a try

I'm happy to try it but not the same world class experience I've gotten from Cantillon in the past, maybe I'll like it more in a decade or two.

07-01-2014 03:45:29 | More by wordemupg
corby112

2011 vintage

Pours a slightly cloudy rosé color with golden orange edges and a pillowy two finger head that has great retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap. Streaks of soapy lacing left behind.

Funky barnyard aroma with a strong floral presence along with some lactic funk, dry oak and earthy bugs.  Subtle barrel/oak presence but the flower petals and lactic funk/cheesiness really stand out.  Very faint acetic character but not solvent like or vinegary smelling.

Medium bodied with a dry, musty barnyard funk presence that lingers over light fruit notes, pale malts,  musty brett and toasted oak into a slightly acetic, dry finish.  The sourness is kind of tame but there is a lot of farmhouse/barnyard character and lactic funk, especially creamy cheesiness in the back end.  Flower petals are also really prominent adding an odd, lingering bitterness.  Not overly complex or as sour as I like from cantillon but packs plenty of funky bitterness and unique flavor.

04-08-2013 00:42:48 | More by corby112