Cantillon Mamouche - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon MamoucheCantillon Mamouche

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Cantillon Zwanze 2009 = Elder flowers. In 2010, Cantillon re-released this beer as Mamouche (same beer), which will be brewed on a regular basis.

(Beer added by: rvdoorn on 11-07-2009)

BGsWo22, Jul 15, 2014

jophish17, Dec 24, 2011

Quackus, Jan 17, 2014

t0rin0, Aug 29, 2012

Thanks!

I have no idea whatsoever how elder flowers smell like or even look like but I am assuming that everything different in this beer is because of them.

Very floral and herbal aroma with those elements dominating the taste as well. The sourness in this beer is either harsh or appears so, I cannot tell. Mouthfeel is excellent but this beer is not doing it for me even though I find myself going back for another whiff and another sip. I am glad to have had it but it either is not as good as other Cantillons, or challenges my palate so much that I am baffled. Regardless it is fairly above average compared to some other swill (Mariage Parfait, I am looking at you!).

tewaris, Oct 17, 2012

sludgegnome, Dec 04, 2012

MarioM, Mar 20, 2014

First had: on tap at Monk's, Philly, PA

Nice of Monk's to have this one on tap at their latest Cantillon event. I actually had not had this before, so I figured I'd give it a try. Poured a hazy golden-yellow color with a small cap of delicate white bubbles that faded to a ringlet, streaking the glass with lacing until the last drop. Champagne-like bubbles blipped from the bottom of the chalice. Aroma of barnyard funk and wildflowers. Crisp taste, more of the characteristics noted in the nose: wet grass, cardboard, very floral, tart, but not overly so; mid- to end-palate displays heavy flavors of green peppers and a touch of white wine and cheap Champagne. Light body, prickly, and quite drying, as expected for the style. Decent overall, and probably one of the better selections from Cantillon.

Rifugium, Jun 19, 2012

Zwanze 2009 Edition

Pours a white head. Decent retention. Color is a hazed golden orange.

Aroma: More elder flowers than the mamouche. Big herbal floral notes. It also has a big pepper burn to it with chiles here.

Taste: Big amount of chiles and pepper. Kind of spicy. However, it is more herbal and floral than the mamouche. A big grassy, oaky, and funky with vinegar notes. Some lemon citrus and acidity.

Mouthfeel: Sour, tart, funky, spicy. Light bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends fairly clean.

Overall, I like it better than the mamouche. It has more elderflowers and it works better with the spices. Somewhat drinkable.

mothman, Oct 22, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -15.3%

Cantillon Mamouche, purchased at the brewery during a weekend in Brussels last month. The label describes as such: "Elderflowers, handpicked by the Cantillon team and soaked in 2 years old lambic. Beer with evolving flavor. Keep and serve at cellar temperature. To be drunk preferably within 10 years after the bottling date."

I opened this one during a lazy day between Christmas and New Years Eve. After removing the cork I saw a little liquid seeping around the cork, nothing serious, just interesting. The cork came out with a nice audible, very good carbonation.

Light orange straw color, SRM of 3-4, initially clear but becoming a little hazy with subsequent pours. A very nice foam that never quite goes away, a solid cap on the liquid, not sticky enough to give lasting lace.

This has a very unique aroma, apparently elderflowers but I wouldn't know as I've never been exposed previous to this. To me it's a little peppery and evokes wet green vegetation. Behind this is the the standard barnyard funk that you expect from Cantillon, but the elderflowers play the lead role.

It tastes like elderflowers, I guess. Very light tartness, not bad but I would prefer a little more funk. Possibly less flowers would make me happy but I'm not employed by Cantillon so what do I know.

Medium bodied, nice carbonation as previously noted. Far from my favorite from Cantillon, but still a very interesting lambic.

TurdFurgison, Dec 30, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -14.9%

from notes. Zwanze 2009. Thanks Mikey.

whoa this beer was weird.

poured orangey amberish with some haze and decent lace.

Super pungent nose, like you stuck your nose in a spice mill, just tons of pepper, overwhelming at first with some floral perfume emanating. Bretty taste, perfumey spice throughout, with a musty floral earthiness throughout but not too acidic. The dominant character is from these elderflowers. Really odd. Tons of assertive bretty flavor, good carb but not spritzery. Not my favorite cantillon but nice to try for sure. I'll revisit the madouche - i mean, mamouche version.

Ineedabeerhere, Nov 06, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -14.9%

Reviewed from notes, this one was on tap at the Blind Tiger and served in an 8 oz teardrop shaped glass.

Mamouche pours an opaque light orange, with minimal white foam capping the beer. The nose has a lot of funk to it, with a bit of acidity present as well. There's just a faint hint of oak, and a subtle spicy-herbal aroma that seems to build in intensity a bit as the beer warms. The flavor has much more pepper/herbs to it, with a light touch of fruitiness shining through as well. There's some wet hay, barnyard funk, but definitely not as much as in the nose. Can't really say the beer tastes tart or sour either. The carbonation is nice and bubbly, but the body is noticeably more full/chewy than you'd normally expect for the style. Mamouche is a decent wild ale, but definitely not up to the usual standards of what I expect from Cantillon.

axeman9182, Jul 23, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

Pours out a very light yellow with unexpected amount of haze, like a lighter hefeweizen almost. The small ring of white head is virgin white as they say. Aroma is sour, lemon, flowers, pepper.

Wow, the pepper. This was the spiciest pepper meets rye like quality I've ever had in a beer. And there's no rye in here, but it was mentioned to give an approximation of the taste and mouthfeel, it is like someone just dumped a bunch of pepper and rye into a lambic, which I assume is the taste I get from these elderflowers. Carbonation was ample, maybe amplifying the pepper like fatigue this induced on my palate during our first sour beer we had on Sunday morning at Triple Rock. Really, if I tried this blind, I would have guessed someone did a hot pepper wild ale.

Yeah, the beer was sour, floral and all that, but I thought the pepper was a distraction. Ultimately, this one kind of fits the bill that the more rare Cantillons aren't worth pursuing. I have a bottle, so I'll get to try it again, but for now, this is one of the more disappointing Cantillons I've had, even if it is a decent beer, it doesn't compare to their more accessible beers like the kriek or classic gueuze. A pretty dry beer all around as well.

Beerandraiderfan, Feb 19, 2012