Cantillon Mamouche - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon MamoucheCantillon Mamouche

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: rvdoorn on 11-07-2009

Cantillon Zwanze 2009 = Elder flowers. In 2010, Cantillon re-released this beer as Mamouche (same beer), which will be brewed on a regular basis.
Ratings: 719 | Reviews: 170
3.96/5  rDev -5.7%

A bottle given to me by my buddy Chris (kkottonmouthkngz) after his trip to Belgium. Thanks brotha! Never had this and have always been curious. Bottled May 16th, 2011.

The cork comes out and there is nothing. No pop or wispy smoke, nothing. Beautiful looking beer. A muted tangerine color with a bright white head that hangs for awhile before subsiding to a frothy ring around the beers edge. Light cheese funk on the nose with an herbacious, light weed type scent on the finish. Not convinced I like the smell but also not sure I dislike. Zesty grapefruit as well. The flavor is really unique. Slight vinegar and citrus with some mild salt and pepper on the finish. Its like drinking a sea salt and vinegar potato chip without the potato and with the addition of lemon zest. Interesting but like the nose, confused as to how I feel about this. Mouthfeel is great with lively spritz.

Overall this beer is better than a 3.5 but it isn't a 4. The cumulative score represents my thoughts on this one.

3.97/5  rDev -5.5%

750ml bottle poured into balloon snifter 14/6/14 cheers Kmat10 for opening the bottle

A a bit of a yeasty pour, cloudy orange liquid, a few bubbles but not a whole lot for head or lace

S floral, cheesy funk, kinda smells like taking out ragweed with a whipper snipper, caramel, lemon, apple pie filling crust included, mild spice, vinegar, and wet wood

T plenty going on much like the nose, less floral notes, some cereal comes out, sour but not overly so, not exactly what I was expecting

M almost foamy, slick on the palate, some pucker to it but mellow, strange weedy finish

O something different and interesting, I can't think of anything else I've had that's similar, not my favorite offering from Cantillon but worth a try

I'm happy to try it but not the same world class experience I've gotten from Cantillon in the past, maybe I'll like it more in a decade or two.

3.97/5  rDev -5.5%

Shared a bottle with Sammy at Beer Bistro in Toronto. Pours a pale yellow with huge white fluffy head. Smell is quite sour, with some herbs and berries. The sour flavour is pretty big for me, though I haven't tried too many sour beers yet. I had to have a glass of water part way in to cleanse my palate a bit, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Huge carbonation level.

2011 vintage

Pours a slightly cloudy rosé color with golden orange edges and a pillowy two finger head that has great retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap. Streaks of soapy lacing left behind.

Funky barnyard aroma with a strong floral presence along with some lactic funk, dry oak and earthy bugs.  Subtle barrel/oak presence but the flower petals and lactic funk/cheesiness really stand out.  Very faint acetic character but not solvent like or vinegary smelling.

Medium bodied with a dry, musty barnyard funk presence that lingers over light fruit notes, pale malts,  musty brett and toasted oak into a slightly acetic, dry finish.  The sourness is kind of tame but there is a lot of farmhouse/barnyard character and lactic funk, especially creamy cheesiness in the back end.  Flower petals are also really prominent adding an odd, lingering bitterness.  Not overly complex or as sour as I like from cantillon but packs plenty of funky bitterness and unique flavor.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Date on bottle: 15 June 2010

A: A bit of seepage upon opening the bottle cap, and a wet cork. Pours a bright albeit cloudy yellow, loads of head with good retention and moderate lacing. Very small bubbles of vigorous carbonation upon first pour, almost champagne-like, that settles down after a while.

S: A good mix of the classic lambic funk I've come to expect from Cantillon (barnyard, wet sock, etc) combined with a distinct elderflower aroma. Very well balanced. I really like it.

T: I'm not sure whether it's the blending with the elderflowers or the base lambic used, but to me the sourness seems somewhat low compared to some of the other Cantillon brews I've had, and not due to any particular sweetness. It does, however, get a bit more assertive as it warms. Big floral hit in the middle with a slightly unpleasant dry back end that I can't quite put my finger on.

M: A fairly light body with good carbonation.

D: A worthy new addition to the Cantillon range. I find this very drinkable. My memory is a bit hazy after the brewery tour, but from what I recall I bought this 75cl bottle at somewhere between 5 and 7 Euros from the brewery, which to me seems very reasonable. However, I have no idea what the imported price would be like.

3.97/5  rDev -5.5%

Thanks to Masterski for bringing this to our big time Chicago tasting.

750 ml bottle into my Narke tulip...Pour is nothing to discuss as this beer is all about the elder flowers. Going in I had no idea what one smelled like, now I know, and I won't be searching them out again. A super strong acidic chilipepperish aroma attacks your nose from the start almost stinging it like a whiff of a strong medication. I can almost visualize waves of the aroma coming off it like its some cartoon characterization..The taste is much of the same, but thankfully its toned down a bit and not nearly as harsh. The astringency is much weaker, especially as your drink it, I guess you almost get used it to. Its certainly a unique flavor, something probably worth trying but one that is just not for me, despite a relatively high score that I give it for its uniqueness and effort.

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

Reviewed blind as part of the Blind Beer BIF #5

Bottle #11 from johnbjaeger

reviewed from notes from the friday before memorial day weekend, shared with Hophead101

A - The bottle looks familiar, i'm thinking Cantillon but i'm not going to make a guess. That would be a hell of a bottle to send blind, and a hell of alot of fun. It pours a bright orange with a 2 inch layer of white fluffy foam that slowly faded.

S - There is a sort of minty, herbal aroma with a light sort of funk to it. The aroma isn't overpowering. I kept taking smell breaks and wasn't really picking up alot.

T - Herbal, flowery with a fruity finish coming through. As it warms, i'm picking up more of a biscuity flavor as well. I'm picking up a minty flavor as well. Slightly funky and sourness, but in the end, its the floraly flavor i'm picking up most.

M - medium bodied with good carbonation, it has a dry finish and is very easy to drink. I just want to steal the bottle and keep it for myself.

D - Very drinkable and nice for a summer day.

4/3.5/4/4/4.5

so the cover reveals
Cantillon Mamouche!
Wow, this is one that I've had on my wants list that I just assume I'll never end up with. Hell of a beer to review, and to do it blind is just way too exciting. Big thank you to

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Split with JLindros. 6/26/13 bottle date.

A - Poured into a Kate the Great tulip a clear golden hue with a thin head that fades to leave light wisps and a thin halo. 4.25 (x .05 = .213)

S - Aromas of floral elderflowers, great tartness, musty basement, great earthy lambic notes, light citrus. Quite pleasant. 4.25 (x .2 = .85)

T - Taste is very tart, loads of floral elderflowers. There is a medicinal herbal note that doesn't work for me. Rather sharp and harsh. Very nice lambic notes but the floral I'm not digging. Too herbal and medicinal. 3.75 (x .45 = 1.688)

M - Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated, bright. The finish is rather medicinal. 4 (x .1 = .4)

O - Overall this beer was a big let down. The elderflower was rather harsh and brought some off flavours. Shockingly underwhelming, never thought I would find a Cantillon I didn't like but yeah, this is it. 4 (x .2 = .8)

Total Rating Score: 3.95
Serving Type: Bottle

Enjoyed this one while pre-gaming going out jazz club hopping in New Orleans at Avenue Pub! Served from tap into a wine glass. Poured a hazy golden yellow with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, earth, bell pepper, sour, and funk. The flavor was of sweet malt, earth, bell pepper, floral, sour, and funk. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a good brew. When I had this out of the bottle back at Zwanze Day 2011 I experienced a bell pepper flavor and I thought that it might have been a figment of my imagination. Now that I’ve got to have it on tap as well and still pick up on the bell pepper it appears to be pretty solid evidence. There is nothing wrong with this fact at all though as it actually seemed to fit in quite nicely with the brew and add a nice earthiness to it. A well done brew that I can’t wait to see how it ages in the bottles I have laid down in the cellar.

Bottle: Poured a dirty yellowish color lambic with a large foamy head with good retention and some very good lacing as well. Aroma is absolutely dominated by elder flowers and is somewhat of an acquired taste. Taste is also dominated by elder flowers and provides a floral and somewhat peppery taste to this beer which is well integrated with the tart and oak from the base lambic. Very refreshing overall though a bit too much flowers for my taste.

Picked this up in France @ Bootleggers.

Pours a nice golden color with a thick head that quickly disappears. Smell is intensely floral with a strong dill (pickle) note. Taste is tart and full-frontal sour with again a slight dill flavor. The oak is kind of lost but does add a slight smoothness to the mouthfeel.

Overall a very interesting brew with intense flavors.

It IS the best time of the year! This just arrived today. It pours a light to medium bodied dirty and muddied apricot orange in color with a creamy off white head. The aromas consist of a very acidic sour with a boatload of grains and perfume. It is very, very floral with a lot of earthiness. I get a lot of dandelion and tea leaves. It also has a lemony citrus aspect to it. It's borderline potpouri that's been allowed to ferment. It's very interesting and very dry. It drinks relatively light in body with good carbonation. Overall it's a very different lambic, and better than Iris in my opinion. Cantiloons!

750 ML poured into a tulip

A-- Poured a straw orange color. Two finger bright white head that slowly worked it's way to a thin white layer. No lacing, very little carbonation showing.

S-- Floral and spicy peppers. Interesting enough smell to this.

T-- Green apple vinegar, white pepper, smoked peppers, and elderflowers. Not really tart, or sour. More of a crispness really, but has the elements of it. Elderflower is quite reserved really.

M-- High carbonation, prickly and creamy. Smoked serrano pepper in mid and back followed by crisp and fresh apple and lemon tartness in the finish.

O-- Not really a sour person, per say, as my reviews are of IPA, DIPA, and IS but this is very approachable. Probably a good lambic to start off with. Just my opinion but a better option to drink fresh than age.

Pissy yellow w/champagne loose head. 4
Pure perfume yet mulchy vegetal and also some funk - never smelled a beer like it. 4
Wheat and floral, a powerful nectar hit, dirty funky middle, powdery herbal (natural aspirin) bitterness to end. 4
Stone fruit finish and lingering branchy bitterness.
Crisp, lean, fizzy, light. 4

-- Weird one. Big perfume, lots of metallic bitterness, and a blast of funk. A bit too astringent at then end - fragrant but not sweet. Interesting and well done, if hard work. 4

Appearance: Arrives with a tiny cap topping the hazy pale honey-colored liquid; a few spots remain as the liquid descends

Smell: Herbacious flowers, green peppers and the woods

Taste: Sour and funky, up front, with the herbacious element most prominent; in the middle the green pepper flavors become discernable, with the peppery character turning to jalapeno, after the swallow; oaky flavors combine, in the finish

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with low to moderate carbonation

Overall: Interesting, for sure, but I don't care for it as much as the sours that use other adjuncts

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottle shared at Woodshop 7 at Beachwood BBQ in Long Beach. Light peachy color with a small white head. Strange floral scent, obviously the elderberry flowers. Plenty of acidity but rather subdued flavor, mainly your typical funky lemony citrus pith notes with a touch of bitterness.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to freud for this bottle! 750mL green glass capped and wine corked. Bottled 15 June 2010. Opened at 49 degrees. When I popped the cap off, there was beer underneath...odd. The cork expanded a lot when I pulled it and it "popped" so leakage would have been odd...

Pours a bright golden amber with tiny tiny champagne bubbles and pretty thick foamy white head that leaves a little lacing.

Smells like dusty white flowers, a little sawdust, lavender, blood orange, yellow grapefruit, orange blossoms and hay. Smells like a sun setting beyond a golden field in August. (I know, a little too poetic, but still).

On the palate, the carbonation is high for the style, which I like. Flavors are very floral and somewhat woody. Pine boards, kava kava, earthen clay, some citrus rind and some piney-notes making me think there's some fun citrus-y hops in there. Sour, but well balanced with a pleasantly tart, citrus-y finish.

Notes: This is a fine lambic. I will say that the appearance and the nose outdo the palate. Recommended for a drink now lambic.

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Thanks to Dave for bringing over this treat!

Pours a cloudy orange with a nice foamy white head. Spritzy bubbles rising up from the bottom. A few patches of lacing.

Sharp, grassy, somewhat spicy elderflowers on the nose. A touch of brett and funk. Mustiness and sweet malts. The elderflowers really define this. Pretty cool.

Like the nose, the elderflowers are fairly dominant in the flavor and add an interesting spiced bitterness. Juicy light fruits mix with the elderflowers. Herbal tea like flavors. This beer starts to grow on you after awhile.

Mouthfeel is smooth with perfect prickly carbonation. Good sourness for a younger beer. Nice balance between bitterness and sweetness.

Drinkability is good. The elderflowers really add a lot of character to the beer and make it a unique addition to the Cantillon line up. Not my favorite Cantillon, but still quite good and definitely worth seeking out.

4.06/5  rDev -3.3%

750ml, 2013 edition, in a capped and corked Burgundian bottle, as ever was for the Cantillon offerings available here in Alberta. This one appears to have the most limited distribution of any of its ilk to date, glad I got a chance to grab one of 'em! Not sure what the name translates to - 'ma mouche' means 'my fly' (as in the insect), but I dunno.

This beer pours a hazy, medium golden straw hue, with two fingers of loosely foamy, and mostly bubbly off-white head, which leaves little beyond a few wayward specks of soap sud lace around the glass as it evenly subsides.

It smells, well, it smells pretty much like nothing I have yet encountered - musty, piquant, peppery, and vegetal florals, moderately sour generic orchard fruit, gritty pale malt, further spicy wheat malt, tart Polskie Ogórki juice, and some mildly funky, heady farm-bred yeast - shah. The taste is more disembodied fruity sourness and tartness right up front, but that perfumed, musty, and still peppery flower character comes racing over like a helicopter parent when they sense gluten, with some decent dry bready pale and wheat graininess holding down the fort, a slight lactic acridity adding its two cents worth to the fray, and some rather understated funky, earthy, and dusty yeast muddling about.

The carbonation is pleasant in its reserved frothy quality, the body just on the light side of medium weight, and more or less smooth, once one becomes acclimatized to the tartness, and cognitive dissonance kicks in - and, then, presto, there's even a twinge of airy creaminess. It finishes dry, fruity, floral, and still peppery, in a vegetal sense.

Well, I gotta give this one credit for providing flavours that were, on the whole, new to me, and agreeable enough, at that - the peppery florals go a long way in ameliorating the harsh acidity still present (it is Cantillon, after all), and the funk keeps mostly to itself. Good, and interesting overall, but I can't quite say that the stiff shelf tag (even for these guys) would be really worth having another go, even if presented the opportunity.

4.06/5  rDev -3.3%

Mamouche. From a bottle, pours a lightly hazy orange with a large white head that recedes fairly quickly and loudly. Beautiful look. Nose is herbal, mint-like, softly funky, a touch cheesy. Flavor is very heavy on the elder flowers, which comes across with a heavily herbal quality. When they tend toward minty I'm not sure if I like it. As it breaths it balances out a bit. It's actually a fun beer, kind of singular, not one of their more funky or sour offerings, but definitely well executed and pretty tasty.

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

Served from a bottle on Zwanze day at Monk's.

A - Pours hazy yellow with a nice one and a half finger tall white head leaving little to no lace down the glass.

S - Smells of lemon zest, flowers, fresh cut grass, damp earth, and some light funk. A bit of spice begins to come thru as it warms in my hand.

T - Starts off with a big lemony twang slowly giving way to a mix of elderflowers, dry oak tannins, light barnyard funk, and plenty of peppery spice. The finish is a mix of light funk and spice, lingering on the pallet for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderately high carbonation. Light, tart, feel with fairly active carbonation. Compared to some of the other Zwanze's this one had one of the better feels.

O - Very nice. I would have to say this was my least favorite of the three but it was still very good none the less. Glad I finally got to try it.

4.09/5  rDev -2.6%

Bottle shared by a friendly random guy at The Beer Belly in Albany, NY.

This one pours a bright golden yellow, with a half inch head, and just a little bit of lacing.

This one smells like honey, flowers, a little bit of vinegary brine, and perfume.

This is one of the more peculiar sours I've ever had. The elderflowers really impart a unique and slightly weird flavor, there's some floral and perfume character, some honey, hay and light funk. The sourness is pretty low, compared to other loons I've had. There's a slight bit of citrus and lemon and whatnot as well. There's also a mild pickle flavor that's odd.

This is light bodied, with a slightly "sweaty" mouthfeel, if that makes sense. There's a pretty soft level of carbonation.

This was unique, while the strong perfume and pickle flavors may not be amazing, this was still a delicious beer.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

Lemonade infused with dandelions, ginger, and cat pee. Palate just as spicy - white peppercorn, medicinal herbs. Also apricot preserves. A good beer but better in small quantities due to intense herbal flavor.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

Zwanze 2009. Pour is a hazed golden amber with a tight bubly head. The nose has the dusty funk found in so many cantillons with notes of lemon and a huge blast of flower petals. There is a hot type spice and its a little seedy. The taste follows the nose, juicy citrus up front, a dusty funk takes over with the huge flower petal that takes over. A jalepeno spice has an interesting presence with more citrusy flavors and some light bitterness. The body is light and creamy but has an active carbonation and a very dry finish. Extremely unique beer, rare flavors I haven't seen before.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Sampled from a 750ml bottle bottled on 26 June 2013.

A - Gold with a slight haze and a moderate white head. Very inviting.

S - Very floral with some funky and lemony notes. Interesting and complex.

T - A lemony tart bite but not especially intense. Very floral. It was very interesting but I'm not sure the floral aspects enhance the underlying work. It starts better then it finishes.

M - Smooth and silky with a low to moderate carbonation.

O - Glad I tried it but not one I'd pursue regularly.

Cantillon Mamouche from Brasserie Cantillon