Cantillon Mamouche - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon MamoucheCantillon Mamouche

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: rvdoorn on 11-07-2009

Cantillon Zwanze 2009 = Elder flowers. In 2010, Cantillon re-released this beer as Mamouche (same beer), which will be brewed on a regular basis.
4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Thanks to huhzubendah for sharing.... Thanks Matt!

Pours a golden color with a thin off white head. Very cloudy looking. Nose is jalapeño, pickle, funk, and floral notes. Amazing nose. Taste profile follows suit. Unique, but very tasty beer. The pickle and jalapeño really come out in the taste. Feel is medium with excellent carbonation. Great beer overall! Really lucky I got to try this one.

It IS the best time of the year! This just arrived today. It pours a light to medium bodied dirty and muddied apricot orange in color with a creamy off white head. The aromas consist of a very acidic sour with a boatload of grains and perfume. It is very, very floral with a lot of earthiness. I get a lot of dandelion and tea leaves. It also has a lemony citrus aspect to it. It's borderline potpouri that's been allowed to ferment. It's very interesting and very dry. It drinks relatively light in body with good carbonation. Overall it's a very different lambic, and better than Iris in my opinion. Cantiloons!

3.96/5  rDev -4.3%

A bottle given to me by my buddy Chris (kkottonmouthkngz) after his trip to Belgium. Thanks brotha! Never had this and have always been curious. Bottled May 16th, 2011.

The cork comes out and there is nothing. No pop or wispy smoke, nothing. Beautiful looking beer. A muted tangerine color with a bright white head that hangs for awhile before subsiding to a frothy ring around the beers edge. Light cheese funk on the nose with an herbacious, light weed type scent on the finish. Not convinced I like the smell but also not sure I dislike. Zesty grapefruit as well. The flavor is really unique. Slight vinegar and citrus with some mild salt and pepper on the finish. Its like drinking a sea salt and vinegar potato chip without the potato and with the addition of lemon zest. Interesting but like the nose, confused as to how I feel about this. Mouthfeel is great with lively spritz.

Overall this beer is better than a 3.5 but it isn't a 4. The cumulative score represents my thoughts on this one.

3.54/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured from the bottle into a flute. I had this at the sour beer event at Teresa's Next Door.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden color with an orange tint. There is a small amount of golden head that disappears.

Smell: Very herbal with some sour notes. A bit weird, it kind of reminds me of burning plastic.

Taste: Bitter like natural grapefruit peel. Herbal with a lemon sourness and some funk. The finish is bitter.

Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I was really excited to get to try this, but it didn't really live up to my expectations. The smell turned me off. I don't think I would search this out again.

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Served from a bottle on Zwanze day at Monk's.

A - Pours hazy yellow with a nice one and a half finger tall white head leaving little to no lace down the glass.

S - Smells of lemon zest, flowers, fresh cut grass, damp earth, and some light funk. A bit of spice begins to come thru as it warms in my hand.

T - Starts off with a big lemony twang slowly giving way to a mix of elderflowers, dry oak tannins, light barnyard funk, and plenty of peppery spice. The finish is a mix of light funk and spice, lingering on the pallet for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderately high carbonation. Light, tart, feel with fairly active carbonation. Compared to some of the other Zwanze's this one had one of the better feels.

O - Very nice. I would have to say this was my least favorite of the three but it was still very good none the less. Glad I finally got to try it.

3.56/5  rDev -14%

Bottle opened on Zwanze Day 2011

Pours a fairly clear orangish with a nice white head. Loots pretty typical. Smells hugely of chili spice. Peachy fruit, some floral aromas and toasted chilis. There is funkiness underlying but the chili overpowers. Was not expecting that. Tastes sweet and lightly fruity and before BAM! more chili hits hard. Well carbonated and drinkable but the chili kills it for me :(

4.67/5  rDev +12.8%

Some pours from some bottles at the back bar at Monk's Cafe.

Mamouche came to me looking bright with a mix of yellow and a slight orange within that. A lemon shaded Lambic with some nice popping white bubbles up top, nothing clings to the glass though.

Smell is str8 up pleasant. I get the flower with the lemon with some fresh cut grass, hay and some wood from the barrel. Earthy, pungent with fruity lemon peel and barn funk.

This stuff is nothing short of amazing, it hooked me from 1st sips. The flavor is mostly a mix of fruity lemon and the elderflower. Mid palate the wood and funk/organisms attack the tounge. Afterwards some hay and funked earth patch up the damaged tounge, but the damage has already been done, Im in love.

Feel is light and very active from the bottle pour. Flavor is very pungent and sticks to the mouth for a few. Carb is very pronounced and I can feel it, yet it is not stinging me. Lactic and downright alive.

I really dug this beer, one of my favorite lambics in recent memory. Any Cantillon that sticks at 5% I always enjoy to the bone, while the ones that exceed that go in different directions for me. I gulped some glasses down pretty quick, a bottle to the head would be easy.

3.58/5  rDev -13.5%

Big pour into an oversized wine glass from a 750ml at 2011 Zwanze Day at Holy Grale in Louisville.

Bright yellow with a dense hue, plenty of murkyness as well. Small head upon pouring that dissipates into a ring of foam around the edges of the glass.

Big vegetal presence on the nose at first similar to bell peppers, daisies, and tomatoes. Some chilis in there as well, with a background of mango and papaya. Some sage and more vegetables. Not as funky as most other Cantillons on the nose, seems to be missing that big haystack and cheese funk.

Bell peppers, chilis, some tropical fruits like papaya and mangos all have an equal presence on the tongue. A very strange experience that I have never had in the flavor of a beer. Some floral and sage presence with minimal funk. Pretty strange, really.

Medium body with some stickyness. A tingle of carbonation

Massive vegetal, herbal and floral presnce with minimal funk on the nose and tongue. A real unique but strange beer. Glad to try it, don't think I'lll ever seek it out again though.

4.62/5  rDev +11.6%

750mL bottle poured into wine glass during Zwanze Day 2011 at monks in philly

Pours a clouded golden yellow color with straw tones, very thick fluffy head. Retains for a bit, leaving patchy lacing on the glass, nice legs.

Floral in the nose with peppery tones, faint spice and heat, almost like a cross between bell and jalapeno peppers. Tart funk, yeast, straw, and lemon peel. So different and so fantastic.

Lemon zest with citrus notes. Peppery spice and slight vegetable (bell and jalapeno peppers) notes. Decent sourness with white grapes. Plenty of floral character from the elderflowers, distinct but fascinating. Funk and straw towards the finish with light acidity.

Medium body, higher carbonation, refreshing and zesty on the tongue. One of the most unusual yet delicious beers I've ever had. Even at $10 per glass, I went back for more - it's almost tough to explain this beer without actually tasting it.

3.93/5  rDev -5.1%

Had at zwanzie day. I still cannot spell that Damn word. Also known as Marmaduke.

A- hazy orange body with a white wispy head.

S-starts out fruity and maybe has a little chili powder in the end.

T-follows the nose. Very spicy. Acidic and very funky

M-medium body and smooth

O-like the spiciness. I think my dad would like this.

4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

750 bottle, 2010 cork.

pours a very hazy vibrant golden yellow. very impressive head that just sits there all puffy and what not.

smells like a flower, what else? hints of pear and apple with a slight sour lemon. a deep funk beneath.

very bitter with a fresh flower flavor. almost tastes like biting into the stem of a flower. a hint of funk and lemon through out. a nice light oak flavor through out. the oak seems to compliment the elder flower. elder flower really comes out in the finish and linegrs.

nice and dry with a light body and moderate carbonation.

interesting although at the same time the elder flower really comes off strong.

4.62/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to freud for the 750ml bottle. Opened and shared at BCTC VIP camping 2011.

Opened after dark with little ambient light, so visual assessment a little lacking. Great head poured into a mini-pils glass - glorious lacing. The aroma is utterly unique from all the Cantillons I've had over the years - bright, somewhat medicinal in a good way, only a little floral. I'm writing this review from notes as I sniff a sprig of fresh elderflowers as a reminder. Taste is sharp up front - tart & astringent, then an unusual floral/citrusy component. Finish is bone dry and astringent, with a hint of something herbal, though not unpleasant - quite refreshing, actually! Like nothing I've ever tasted, but no previous experience with elderflowers, or elderberries.

An herbalist friend advises that elderflowers are used as a mild skin astringent and to open pores and promote perspiring (diaphoretic) - such a reaction was not attributable by this taster, although it was a rather hot evening! A unique offering - looking forward to Zwaanze Day to try the newest one.

4.37/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured in July 2011 for my birthday Cantillon tasting.

Dark hazy orange color.

Smells very unusual. Like no other beer I've smelled really, hard to identify any particular scents. Maybe some odd floral notes, some odd citrus. Mainly my reaction was "what the heck is that smell?" It's hard to assign a rating to a smell when your main reaction is surprise, but I'll give this one some points just for being so unique and memorable.

Taste is just as unusual as the smell. What the heck? I've never eaten elderflowers, but I expected something much closer to other flower flavors I've had in beer--chrysanthemum, rose, etc. This was not remotely like those things. A very dark, tangy kind of floral flavor, not at all what you'd expect from the pretty white flowers on the label. The sourness is also a very odd kind of sourness, reminds me much more of eating a grapefruit than of drinking a sour beer. There's some grapefruit and other weird citrus in the flavor too.

This is a totally unique beer that really caught me off guard, but I definitely liked it and would love to try it again now that I'm better prepared for it.

4.23/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottled in 2010, shared with the guys last night.

Pouring a light yellow with a dense, frothy head with excellent retention and lacing, this is a gorgeous beer. The nose is unlike anything I've previously experienced. Incredibly spicy with a blend of white pepper and jalapenos (!!!), there's a moderately floral character to it Behind it, the lambic is noticeable. Lemony and moderately oaky with a lactic bite, there's some funk noticeable, but it's really covered up by the strong elderflower aroma.

The palate opens spicy, again with a blend of crushed white pepper and a jalapeno-like vegetal spiciness. Moderately pefumey, the mid-palate brings out the base lambic. Wonderfully lemony and lactic, this has a solid lip-smacking tartness. A little oaky with some vanilla and tannins, this beer dries out on the finish with a blend of lemon and pepper. Light in body with absolutely wonderful carbonation, this is airy, creamy and the combination of sourness and spiciness on the finish is unique. Excellent stuff, though I feel like the elderflower character is just a little overdone.

**Edit 07 Nov 2015**
My only other bottle of the first batch. It was a good night at Nathan's when I last had this beer. Still spicy as hell qith jalapenos, some pickle and elderflowers. There's also a touch of honey that's come with age which complements the spicy notes. The base lambic, lactic and mildly lemony is delicious. Spicy oak to go with spicy elderflowers. Delicious.

4.47/5  rDev +8%

Unlabeled 750ml bottle served in a Lambic basket at the brewery; poured into a tasting glass.

A: Lightly hazy gold body with an impressive two inches of frothy, sticky white foam. Good retention and great lace for the style. Lovely.

S: The flowers absolutely dominate the aroma with spicy, perfumy, woody, herbal splendor. It smells like a greenhouse, with some earthy funk and tart lemon underlying the huge floral aroma. Wow.

T: The floral notes turn into profound spiciness here, with funk + ample sourness on the tail end. Intense and enjoyable, but not quite as enthralling as the gorgeous aroma. I just wish it tasted as perfumy as it smelled, although I'm not entirely convinced that that would be possible.

M: Very lively medium body. Perfectly frothy, perfectly smooth.

O: Don't ever let anyone say that Belgian brewers are mired in tradition and unwilling to experiment. Mamouche is entirely unlike any beer I've ever tasted or even heard of, and it's spectacularly good. I split this bottle with a group of Lambic newbies, and everyone was blown away by its uniqueness (even if they couldn't quite handle its intensity). It was especially tasty as a component of impromptu blends with the Gueuze/Kriek/Framboise that other people were drinking, as the floralness works as beautifully as a secondary component of Cantillon funk as the primary one. I wish this beer were easier to come by, as I'd just love to have it again.

3.8/5  rDev -8.2%

Huge thanks to Andy for the generous Christmas gift. Mamouche version. Poured into a tulip and shared with four friends. Pours a golden honey color with a huge airy head. The head settles down to a thin layer of foam.

Very floral and perfumy on the aroma. A slight golden delicious apple aroma and a little bit of oak and must. A little bit sweet on the pallet; it really reminds me of dried apples. Floral flavors and just a little bit of lemon in the finish making it a little bit tart. Kind of oaky on the finish.

Light crisp feel but the carbonation seems a little bit exposive. Overall an interesting beer. I'm having a little trouble summing it up here because it seems so unique. Enjoyable and worth trying.

4.57/5  rDev +10.4%

Thanks to Morgan and Cena from Sweden for sharing the last bottle at the Cantillon Brewery this year.

Vintage 2010

A: Golden on straw ale with excellent clarity. Two fingers of bone white foam falls to a quilt of the same, which stays for the life of the beer. Central column of continuous bubbles. Spotty lacing.

S: Whoa, I could smell this as soon at it was corked! The Elderberry Blossoms are potent! I have never had this flower in my face, so I can't compare, my table mates said it was totally obvious (Cena didn't know it was brewed with the flower and called it out immediately). To me: peppercorns, soil, black tea, cilantro and a hint of mint. Can't get my nose out of the glass, it's embarrassing given my new company wants to chat.

T: Initially soil forward, peppery, herbal. I honestly am having a difficult time describing this beer. It's something I would pair with oysters on the half-shell alongside some enanthaler and chilled white grapes. There, that clears it up right?

M: Thin bodied with prickly carbonation. Good dry finish. Truly this is like a sparkling wine.

O: This beer is excellent, complex, fun and intriguing. I wish there was some to buy from the brewery because it's amazing!

4.85/5  rDev +17.1%

Shared a couple bottles of this at the Cheval Blanc night of the funk, post Mondial. 2010 bottling.

Pours a hazy golden color, sort of like cloudy apple juice. Two fingers of head with some staying power. Looks good.

Nose has a light tartness reminiscent of apples, elderflower that has a slight musty note, light funk.

This beer is fantastic and so drinkable, less acidity that many of Cantillon's offerings - on par with something like Fou Foune. Light apple tartness, biscuity malt, elderflower that vacillates between a sort of musty weediness and a more floral, sweet hay. Light and buoyant mouthfeel, lush carbonation. Complex and so drinkable, one of my all time favorites - wish it wasn't so hard to get. Just superb.

3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

Reviewed blind as part of the Blind Beer BIF #5

Bottle #11 from johnbjaeger

reviewed from notes from the friday before memorial day weekend, shared with Hophead101

A - The bottle looks familiar, i'm thinking Cantillon but i'm not going to make a guess. That would be a hell of a bottle to send blind, and a hell of alot of fun. It pours a bright orange with a 2 inch layer of white fluffy foam that slowly faded.

S - There is a sort of minty, herbal aroma with a light sort of funk to it. The aroma isn't overpowering. I kept taking smell breaks and wasn't really picking up alot.

T - Herbal, flowery with a fruity finish coming through. As it warms, i'm picking up more of a biscuity flavor as well. I'm picking up a minty flavor as well. Slightly funky and sourness, but in the end, its the floraly flavor i'm picking up most.

M - medium bodied with good carbonation, it has a dry finish and is very easy to drink. I just want to steal the bottle and keep it for myself.

D - Very drinkable and nice for a summer day.

so the cover reveals
Cantillon Mamouche!
Wow, this is one that I've had on my wants list that I just assume I'll never end up with. Hell of a beer to review, and to do it blind is just way too exciting. Big thank you to

4.55/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

reviewed from notes when it was zwanze 2009

Light golden amber in color with with a big foamy head of white on top. Really cloudy and hazy and this gave it a much fuller look. Definitley going to be a winner here. Ohh, the rich funky nose on this one, I am melting into the chair. very earthy balance too it and soo floral like a meadow, really very nice.wow. Not too heavy, and the tartness and sour is perfectly placed. As I sip I close my eyes and the tartest granny smith apple I have ever had combines with a pear and flower notes. not Lip puckering, perfectly balanced. I am floored. Letting itlsit perhaps a touch of cherries works its way in, still light hops drying the palate and sourness that is not overwhelming but just will not quit. Perfect carbonation and medium body with no hint of alcohol at all.

Overall a great beer and another winner from a brewery that can do no wrong it seems!

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

I received this beer in an in-person trade at the Alvinne festival in Belgium and had been looking forward to trying it.

This beer poured to be a hazy orange color with a thick white head. Right away you can smell a strong interesting aroma of floral essence. Sour, smooth, great beer overall. I've become a big fan of cantillon beers!

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%

Cantillon one of the best breweries in the world just continues to make damn good beers and this is one of the many that they do. The beer pours a nice golden straw color and has good carbonation. The aroma is funky and floral, I have no clue what Elder Flowres smell like but I detect a different note in this beer from other Cantillon offerings. The taste starts sour and puckering and then finishes dry with the floral note. Really nice beer.

4.06/5  rDev -1.9%

Mamouche. From a bottle, pours a lightly hazy orange with a large white head that recedes fairly quickly and loudly. Beautiful look. Nose is herbal, mint-like, softly funky, a touch cheesy. Flavor is very heavy on the elder flowers, which comes across with a heavily herbal quality. When they tend toward minty I'm not sure if I like it. As it breaths it balances out a bit. It's actually a fun beer, kind of singular, not one of their more funky or sour offerings, but definitely well executed and pretty tasty.

3.85/5  rDev -7%

Thanks to FeDUBBELFIST for sharing this brew at a recent tasting.

Poured into a mini snifter, this brew appears a hazed orange with big bubbly white head that fizzes away rapidly. A swirl revives the cap back to a finger's strength with some yellowish stained coloration.

The smell of this brew initially is malty sweet like caramel which changes to a spiced aspect that is reminiscent of green peppers, lemon, funk, flowers and herbs. This is quite a unique offering that takes the usage of the word herbal to whole new level. The green pepper aspect is quite unique with an earthy character.

The taste is equally shocking after taking in the nose of this brew. It tastes herbal with sourness and funked acidity along with an earthy floral taste. The finish of this brew is peppery but not in a spiced pepper flavor, it's more of a herbal, green pepper taste. Certainly a unique experience.

This is a medium bodied brew with a bold amount of carbonation. One of the most unique brew's I've had in awhile, it's funky, salivating and fizzy on the tongue. Certainly worth a try if you get the chance. Thanks again Kiel.

3.92/5  rDev -5.3%

I was happy FEdubbelfist shared this at Stakem's and I got a chance to try it.

A slightly creamy golden appearance with modest white cap, slight haze from the elder flower, I suppose, bead is fine. The smell is mildly dank with some medicinal and savory/herbal elements -a very unique aroma with some funk from the yeast. The feel is good, slightly dry and herbal again which translates to slightly bitter w/ that funky yeast texture which comes off dry/spicey and moderately carbonated lighter medium body.

I enjoyed the taste which has plenty of herbal qualities which I would compare to fennel and perhaps a slight tinge of very mild pepper and cooking herbs like sage w/ a pinch of anise, maybe. It is very hard to put my finger on what is contributed by the elderflower since I never had it before and I am sure some of the flavor comes from the yeast and other bacteria making it even more complex. I think you really have to have an open mind since it doesn't have much in the way of sweetness. It is very earthy and compares in a way to Gruit with the astringent herbal notes. Overall I say it is not the best I have had from Cantillon, but it is definitely unique and worth trying -especially if you enjoy more earthy/herbal flavored beer.

Cantillon Mamouche from Brasserie Cantillon