Cantillon Pinot D'Aunis - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Pinot D'AunisCantillon Pinot D'Aunis

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: DefenCorps on 06-10-2010)

2.5/5  rDev -43.2%

3.5/5  rDev -20.5%

3.5/5  rDev -20.5%

3.55/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled in 2009.

Two of three bottles were still, looking and pouring like crimson-colored, unblended lambic. One was carbonated, looking and pouring like moderately-carbed, crimson-colored unblended lambic.

Underripe red grapes, rose-hips, minerals, wood, and black pepper comprise the odor and taste. It's tart, but not yet sour. Gene is reminded of his grandmother's perfume; evidently he is descended from winos.

The mouthfeel is where Pinot d'Aunis falters; with the grape juice, it lends the beer the sensation of watered-down wine. Some age might improve the balance of the fruit and sourness.

3.63/5  rDev -17.5%

Thanks to Jeppe for bringing this for our little gathering! 750ml bottle poured into a wine glass.

A - Pours a reddish/brown, some chunks of stuff here and there, a very small head that reduces down to a few bubbles. No retention or lacing, looks like a glass of Pinot (!).

S - Oak, grapes, lots of herbs/spices. Lots of pepper/spice notes, which I'm not sure I really like, but it's not bad by any means.

T - Decent sour/tart, some funk, lots of oak and spices. It's not mind-blowing, but very unique and different.

M - Light, low carbonation, dry/oaky finish. The carbonation really hurts the feel...

D - I was let down by this one. I was really expecting more wine characteristics but instead, was hit by a lot of pepper and spices. Good, not great...

3.68/5  rDev -16.4%

For startes, having drank both Pinot D'Aunis and Zwanze 11 I can say these are most assuredly not the same beer, at least in how they look, smell, taste, and feel.

This is a review of Zwanze 11 on Zwanze Day at West Lakeview.

A - A lighter reddish, sometimes pink beer with a decent amount of bubbles. Small white head that had some pretty solid retention and a decent bit of lacing on the glass.

S - A lot different than the Pinot D'Aunis. Grape is more subdued, with a bit of spice to liven things up a bit. Smells light, with a small amount of funk, and a minor bit of tartness. The hopping really did an interesting number on this one nad seemed to make it less of a fruit beer.

T - Lighter tasting. Once again, the grapes are somewhat subdued compared to the Pinot D'Aunis. The hopping has added a bit of spice character as well as some earth or wood tones. Really has a lot of distinct things going on here, making it fairly complex. I actually thought it tasted a bit like flowers, which was also interesting, but not really something I was a fan of.

M - Lighter, good carbonation, a bit dry on the finish.

O - Definitely a lot better than the Pinot D'Aunis, but that wasn't a particularly high standard. Good beer that has a lot going on and was easy to drink, but i wasn't in love with it. Would definitely drink again, but as far as Cantillon goes I drank a ton of Lou Pepe Kriek in lieu of this one.

3.68/5  rDev -16.4%

Bottle generously shared by Jeppe. Served in a wine glass.

A - Apparently this is one of the still bottles. Pours with a minimal carbonation and maybe a thin ring of big bubbles, and a spot or two of lace. Pink-red hazy body. Looks like unblended grape lambic.

S - Very peppery - reminds me of some red wines I've had. There's some funk and a touch of diaper and baby vomit. Grapes are present, and are definitely more potent than 3F Malvasia Rosso, but are still somewhat mild.

T - Taste is very smooth and vinous, with less pepper and more acetic notes. In some ways this is more similar to Zwanze 2009/Mamouche than it is to any of Cantillon's other grape lambics.

M - Almost no carbonation. Medium-light body, medium dry finish. Very wine or juice-like - surprise!

D - This is very drinkable, and I'd gladly have a bottle if I stopped by Cantillon or Moeder Lambic. That being said, it may be my least favorite druiven lambic from Cantillon - I'm not a huge fan of black pepper in my beer, and the lack of carbonation seens to defeat the more lambic elements while emphasizing the vinous ones.

I had to keep myself from being overly harsh. It's a very nice beer, but not up the Cantillon's extremely high standards. Some bubbles would make this an A- (or even an A). Sorry Dyan, I'm with Arne on this one.

3.7/5  rDev -15.9%

On tap at Monk's for Zwanze Day '11. Served in a Cantillon tasting glass, about 6-8oz or so. The brew appears a light pink to rose color. Slightly hazed with a thin white film for a head that fizzes away quick. A light swirl brings back a thin film of white bubbles across the top that again rapidly dissolves.

The smell of this brew is that of funk. Almost off-putting at first with a nontypical display of poopy diaper meets stinky cheese, sweaty feet, herbs and medicine. I know that might sound horrible but it warms up to you as the experience continues. Grassy at times, a light swirl brings out a fruity sweet note that is faintly vinous at best.

The taste is earthy and herbal at first. Each sip gows on me with an acidic property that is salivating. It includes a minor amount of vinous character that increase in character as it warns. My first impression of this brew was that perhaps the vines and leaves were used in this brew instead of the grapes. After it warms up though my opinion changes a bit. It is acidic yet well integrate with flavors of funk, stinky cheese and very minor vinous quality. The aftertaste left in the mouth is more funky and earthy than vinous.

Perhaps my favorite aspect of this brew is it's ease of drinkability. There is little to no alcohol impact. It is light bodied with a very light level of carbonation. It could have used some more carbonation to increase the feel but overall this one just didn't do it for me. Most Cantillon offerings I've been very satisfied with, this one just didn't cut it for me. Of the Zwanze offerings I've had, 2010 was my favorite with this 2011 and Mamouche well below. I wish I could have this again under different circumstances (unfortunately that will never happen.) I'm sure sitting down with a full glass at appropriate temperature would have brought out subtleties and nuances that I missed packed in a tiny room with 100 people rubbing up against each other.

3.75/5  rDev -14.8%

3.83/5  rDev -13%

Enjoyed at Cantillon. Ruby orange with off white head, fades to thin ring, light lacing. Nose is dominated by the peppery grapes, light wood and horse blanket finish it out. Taste is light grape juice with the pepper coming through yet again, some cheesy bretty flavors, and very lightly sour. Creamy carbonation with a light clean finish, not very dry at all. Not my favorite fruit Cantillon by a long shot, nice to try, but this grape doesn’t do anything for me.

3.85/5  rDev -12.5%

On tap at Churchkey.

Trace of head on a gold-amber body.

Smells like urine-y funk and vinegar. There's a trace of berry sweetness buried somewhere in there though. The smell made me nervous.

Taste was much better than the smell. Lemony, tart with some raspberry. Pretty balanced, actually. Slightly vegetal (arugula, maybe?)

Mouthfeel is like that of... lemonade? I could really annoy people and suggest an Arnold Palmer, but I'll stop short ; )

Apart from the unnerving smell, this tasted pretty darn good. Overhyped, but good.

3.88/5  rDev -11.8%

Had on tap at Novare Res, served in a Cantillon glass. My wife and I both got two glasses filled and were lucky enough to be sitting at the bar.
The beer pours ruby red like a watermelon transparent and has a thin wisp of head nice

The aroma is sweet and sour with a good grape wine aroma that mixes with a woody earthiness

The taste is great a mix of a grapes sourness and carbonation start this beer. The flavor is a subtle sour, a sweetness of the grapes and a sourness linger and then finish quick and clean nice

Overall glad to have had it and I always enjoy the Novare events, that said not the best beer I had this day

3.93/5  rDev -10.7%

On-tap, Zwanze day @ Stone.
The beer pours a very odd color that reminds me of pink lemonaide with a deeper pink to it, not much of a head is fromed and a few bubbles pop around the edges. The nose is a little faint, its got a strong funkiness to it with tart fruits and grapes. The tast is slightly tart with lemon and grapefruit citrus and a light tannin grape taste as well as funky. The feel is medium-light with better carbonation then there appears. Its a enjoyable beer that I'm glad I had the chance to try.

Had on tap for Zwanze day at West Lakeview in Chicago.

A: Pours a dark pink with two quarters of white head.

S: Light wine grapes,cantillon funk and maybe some peppery spice.

T: Very mild grape and mild sourness. Small amount of hop spice. Lighter then expected. Dry finish.

M: Light body with good carbonation.

O: Would drink another.

On tap at Churchkey for Zwanze Day. A couple of 6 oz pours in stances and snifters.

Pours a murky, ruby red with a frothy, large pale pink head. Minimal retention and lacing. Aroma is musty and mildly sour; vinous, oak, grapes and lemon. Flavor is similar, strong vinous fruit flavor with a light sour finish. Minimal "funk" and overall quite simple. Medium body with light carbonation. Very nice and enjoyable across multiple samples, but I'd rather drink St. Lamvinus among other things. Would love to try the first batch...

4.03/5  rDev -8.4%

On tap at Holy Grail for Zwanze Day!
Thanks guys for a great event!

Poured into my Cantillon tasting glass (too cold.... waiting for the toast for the beer to warm a bit)

While I wait:
Pours a beautiful pinkish red. A nice white very faint pink ring of head on the edges. Looks very nice. Smells tart and fruity. Definitely get grape on the nose as well as some funkiness. The brett is very prominent on the nose. No real hops to speak of. Did I hear somewhere this one was dry hopped? hmmm

3:01... I want a sip!
The upstairs loft decides to toast early as we can't wait for them to finish talking downstairs!

Tastes tart and grape heavy. a sweetness from the grapes that is very unique. The bretty funkiness and bitterness from the grapes meld well. Quite enjoyable. Well carbonated. Light on the tongue. Overall a very enjoyable sour

4.03/5  rDev -8.4%

In my selfishness, I drank almost an entire 750 ml of this but in my defense, everyone else had the same opportunity to buy some. Served in a snifter and stange in 6 ounce pours.
'
Beer is pink, hazy, nice white head of small bubbles, overall lowly carbonated, interesting.

Beer smells mildly medicinal, with grape skins, sweetness, mild acetic, good overall.

The base of this beer comes through with a mild fruitness, definitely the grape comes through here. It is mildly sweet, very tart on the finish, mildly dry, overall a good beer. Interesting but I heavily prefer St. Lam to this beer. Something seems fake about it, an almost plastic taste.

4.05/5  rDev -8%

Zwanze day at holy graile. 2011 vintage

A-red body with no head what so ever

S-very tart fruit. Maybe cherries. Very nice.

T-follows the nose. Very funky. Fruit comes out more as it warms up.

M-light and smooth with a crisp clean finish

I- nice beer. Would lovecto see one with age.

Cantillon Pinot D'Aunis from Brasserie Cantillon