Cantillon Don Quijote - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Don QuijoteCantillon Don Quijote

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

A fruit lambic brewed with Italian grapes similar to Concord grapes or Fox grapes (Vitis Labrusca) brewed exclusively for a Florence, Italy, Pub in 2008.

(Beer added by: kappldav123 on 06-12-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
craytonic

District of Columbia

1.3/5  rDev -71.5%

Uber rarity, unfortunately the bottle I received was corked. From notes.

Appearance: Pour is a red-orange amber, small white head.

Smell: Off musty / rotten flavors that you expect from corked wine; I have sampled in the neighborhood of 30-50 bottles of Cantillon in my life and this is the first one that has been "bad", I knew almost instantly that something was amiss.

Taste: The must / rotten flavors dominate on the first sip. Very much a TCA issue, there was no way to finish it or enjoy the bottle. This is not "good" funk, as I typically enjoy those sorts of flavors, from Cantillon in particular. Sourness was still there. It is one of those things some people don't pick up on, but once you know the taint you will always detect it.

Mouthfeel: Dry, thin, medium carbonation.

Drinkability: As described above, this bottle clearly had some issues. I doubt I get to try it again and do not know where those issues came from, but as-is it was undrinkable. I noticed some people may have picked up on this from reading other reviews, to a lesser extent, while some may not have had an issue at all.

08-16-2010 16:07:24 | More by craytonic
grub

Ontario (Canada)

3.58/5  rDev -21.5%

lantern corps beer summit 2010 - day 2, oct 9/2010. tpd975 contributed this one. thanks greg!

750ml corked and capped bottle.

pours muddy red, a bit clearer toward the top of the bottle. no head and no sign of lace.

aroma is ok. feet. alcohol. bit of nail polish remover. earth and a bit of wood. malt vinegar. bit of dark fruit. nutty.

taste is nice. similar to the aroma, but with less of the feet and other harsh notes. leather. horse blanket. sherry. low bitterness level. medium acidity.

mouthfeel is goood. light body with a fairly dry finish. medium-low carbonation level.

drinkability is good. not the worst sour i've had, but certainly not the best either. a little rough around the edges, but not unpleasant overall.

02-04-2011 15:16:03 | More by grub
beerwolf77

Wisconsin

3.6/5  rDev -21.1%

Thanks to one bad mofo for this one. Adam you are a tickers best friend. Poured from a bottle into my tasting glass.

A: Amber gold hue. Not much head no lace.

S: WTF! Straight up cow manure. This is the most "barnyard" beer I've ever encountered. There is a touch of grapes in there but it's heavily masked by the grren cow poop aroma. I understand what they were shooting for but god damn!

T: Luckily the poop doesn't come through as much in the flavor. It's there but the grapes have taken over. Lactic sour and loads of wet wood.

M: Light crisp body. Modest carbonation.

D: I'm not sure I get this beer. Super glad to try it but why would I want to taste manure? Maybe I'm crazy. This one is a miss for me.

11-12-2010 18:49:12 | More by beerwolf77
HopHead84

3.63/5  rDev -20.4%

7/30/2010

375ml bottle poured into a snifter. The beer is dark red tinged orange with good clarity (sediment left behind) and a small white head. It's a very nice color.

The aroma is quite interesting. The fruit character reminds me of a cross between an unripened strawberry and grape skins with a little bit of flesh. It's musty and earthy, with notes of oak and a strong wet leather profile. I keep returning to the unripened strawberry character in my notes. It is very interesting and certainly unique. I detect a low acetic presence.

The flavor is unripened strawberries with moderately tart musty grape skins and faint raspberry vinegar notes. It's moderately lactic and acetic. Light lemon notes are evident with an accompanying moderate citric acidity and oak. I detect wet leather and earthy notes. The beer has a piquant and oaky tannic strawberry grape finish with a lower high level of lactic sourness that lingers. The finish is quite tart, mouth puckeringly so. The fruit profile is unique and delicious.

The mouthfeel is dry and lightly tannic; carbonation is at an upper low/lower medium level.

This is very good right now, and I think it will improve with age. These Italian grapes are quite delicious. This paired wonderfully with a Danish Bleu Cheese.

11/08/2012

I've tried this from six separate bottles and I think it's time to update my score. Approximately 1 of the 6 bottles has been great, but the others have suffered from a not insubstantial enterobacter aroma (think urinal mint and feces). It's a trend and not remotely aberrational. I love the label of the beer and I like the flavor, but I don't think time will correct the aroma. Some people have many bottles of this left so they will not dwell on the flaws or they will choose to ignore them. They might not even be aware of them (unlikely). But for me, Don Quijote will be forever synonymous with a great label, enterobacter, and a confusing amount of popularity. Give me Saint Lamvinus, Classic Gueuze, or countless other lambics or American sours and I'll be much happier.

I'm dropping this from a 4.5 (first bottle) to a 3.63.

07-31-2010 21:38:11 | More by HopHead84
alfrantzell

3.65/5  rDev -20%

750ml bottle courtesy of Masterski.

Just 240 750ml bottles and 140 375ml bottles of this rarity were made for Goblin's Pub in Pavullo del Negro, Italy. Bottles were available only at the pub. And you could mail order them. But only those two methods.

Funny things, these Italian grapes. They're similar to Concord grapes, which are what Welch's uses for their eponymous grape juice. And I could not get that out of my head.

Though I did try: Don Quijote looks different, being copper colored and carbonated. And it smells.. uh.. kind of different, like leather, pepper, geosmin, and gravel. And Welch's grape juice. Wave upon wave of that musky grape fluid.

The taste is mostly juice, underwritten by Cantillon's signature sweaty fetlock, yellow woodsorrel, and oak barrel. Some residual sweetness coats the mouth.

A nice effort, especially if you're a fan of Welch's. Some age would do it good.

09-03-2010 18:48:04 | More by alfrantzell
t0rin0

3.78/5  rDev -17.1%

First review in 250 reviews where I'm not adding the beer. Came out of retirement to offer an opinion not skewed by hype.

Sampled 3/5/2011.

Pours a crazy pinkish orange color with a mostly white (stained with a little pink) head, moderately hazy, no lacing or retention.

Aroma is great. Heavy on the red grapes, some spices, and a healthy dose of barnyard funk and lemon in the background followed by a hint of oak. I could smell this all day.

Flavor is a huge let down. Those intense red grapes are there along with the typical fruity funk and lemon that I've come to love in my Cantiloons but what's this? Ocean water? Tastes like someone blended a pinch of sand and salt into the mix. And then comes the oak, and more oak. Very odd.

Mouthfeel is lambic. Light, really bubbly, refreshing. Drinkability is hindered by the seawater aspect of the beer.

Ƭίcƙ/Special Occasion for Wales #5,733

03-09-2011 06:47:31 | More by t0rin0
AgentZero

3.83/5  rDev -16%

Review #500. Big thanks to a very generous Sean9689 for succumbing to peer pressure and popping this treat open.

A - Orangish color with a slightly offwhite head that looked a little bit carbonated, surprisng for the type of beer this is. Has some nice brownish, purple hues to it, giving the hint of the concord grapes in there.

T - Oh God, I hate doing this after drinking the beer because it was nice and tasty, but I got the very distinct smell of horse manure. It litererally smelled so much like horse shit, that I had to not breath through my nose while I was drinking this (I worked with horses for a while, and it was like mucking out the stables). HUGE manure smell, not just kind of stinking, but like I stuck my face in a pile of it, wow. I don't know how everyone else was enjoying the smell, it got described by them as "horsey" or "farmy" but it was so bad for me I was repulsed. So strange, maybe just an off nose that day but I couldn't stand it. On the plus side, some nice grape came through, but I really couldn't keep sticking my nose in this much.

T - As long as I wasn't breathing through my nose, it tasted very well. Surprised that I couldn't taste horse shit, or at least my perception of it, given how closely smell and taste are linked. There is definately a lot of old barn smell in there, slightly damp hay, horse leather and blanket, and the concord grapes have a very strong, but not overpowering, grape taste. Some nice funk and tartness, it is the nicest bit jammy.

M - Jammy, smooth, dry, has a bit of a sparkling bubble carbonation, which suits it well.

D - I got it all down, but I had to hold my breath due to the horse shit taste. Other than that, this was a great beer.

10-25-2010 18:52:38 | More by AgentZero
ygtbsm94

11-15-2011 01:48:55 | More by ygtbsm94
nickd717

4.1/5  rDev -10.1%

RATING #1000!!! MILESTONE TICK HERE I COME!!! The tick train keeps rolling on, plowing over anyone who stands in its way. 750ml bottle shared by MasterSki.

The color is hazy reddish-copper and the white head leaves a thick white ring on the glass. Good lacing.

The aroma is interesting - red grapes, funk, earth, and cobwebs.

The flavor has a lot in common with Welch's grape juice, but in a very good way. Concord grape, goat blanket, and typical Cantillon funk.

Nice palate - medium acidity with medium body and somewhat lively carbonation.

Very good fruit lambic overall. Justifies the hype for the most part.

08-18-2010 21:57:06 | More by nickd717
drabmuh

Maryland

4.1/5  rDev -10.1%

Opened by Thorpe429, thanks -- huge want of mine and a pretty good grape lambic.

Beer is pinkish / purple and hazy with a thin diffuse head of tiny bubbles that don't leave any lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate to low. Looks pretty good for a sour.

Aroma is fruity, like grapes with a sulfurish (not in a bad way) undertone and mild lactic sourness. I was expecting some more acetic, it was there but I'm not sure why I thought this would be vinegar.

Beer is light in body and has a mild sweetness to it, its lactic and acetic sour with hints of citric acid as well. Its not too complex, not getting a lot of grass or hay but there is a mild oakiness to it but without the vanilla, more the funk. Its nice and easy to drink. I think I like Lamvinous better but this is a good beer and I would definitely drink it again.

10-04-2010 16:48:09 | More by drabmuh
tarheels86

4.13/5  rDev -9.4%

750mL thanks to Travlr. Given to me on my 24th birthday and shared at Sour Epic Part 2. Thank you Gene! The pour is quite hysterical- sort of a clear, neon purple with deep sunset highlights. A short lived pink head fizzes. Dregs at the end look opaque fuschia. Nose is at first a lot of white grape juice moving to sweet strawberry and tangy rhubarb. Very bright aroma and sweet grape juice and even hints of cinnamon and clove. Taste is straight geuze all the way with big tanginess, white pepper, mild berry character, and ruby red grapefruit sections and peel. Acidity level is perfect- juicy and tangy. Vibrant and bright. Perfect palate. Very yummy overall though I’m told the grape robustness is falling off and instead gaining more normal geuze complexity like older Blabaer batches. 12/12/2011 8/4/8/5/16=4.1

09-06-2012 19:43:22 | More by tarheels86
BearsOnAcid

4.2/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Hazy brick red color. Small collection of tiny bubbles along the wall of the glass. The smell combines mild mushrooms, damp earth, slight vinegar, sweaty feet, grape skins, and some faint smell I could only compare to a box of crayons. Ultimately this beer is straight up funky as hell. Like someone dumped a bag of top soil into a locker filled with dirty gym clothes.

The flavor has a lot of super tart berries and dry wine characteristics. Almost like a cross between a Rose and Labrusca wine. Tannins from the grape skin aren't really noticeable. Slight waxy flavor that is linked to the crayon smell I got. A little oily on the palate. This beer is very tart. Dry brett finish. Once again, Cantillon made another super complex grape lambic. And an interesting choice in using labrusca grapes.

10-06-2010 19:16:52 | More by BearsOnAcid
DoubleJ

4.25/5  rDev -6.8%

10-29-2012 22:26:08 | More by DoubleJ
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.25/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured into Lost Abbey Stemware.

Pours a white head with a pink hue to it. Color is a grapefruit ruby red.

Aroma: Sour grapes and manure. Definitely has a cow barn flavor to it. Very funky and farm yard funk to it. Oak and lemon citrus. Has some hay and grass.

Taste: Just like cow barn. Manure is big. So weird. Sour grapes is big though. Some oak and acidity here with lemon citrus. It is definitely funky. I am very intrigued by this one. The grapes dominate the taste.

Mouthfeel: Sour, tart, and funky. Lighter bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. This one is mouth puckering. Ends dry.

Overall, it was actually fairly good for having a manure flavor to it. So funky. It was good, definitely interesting. I am glad to have tried this one.

10-23-2010 02:05:16 | More by mothman
DefenCorps

Oregon

4.28/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Many, many thanks to Alex for sharing this pricey rarity.

Mildly hazy with a thin head that leaves a little lace. Solid for an unblended druivenlambik. The nose is unique. Concord grape juice, curing leather (as opposed to wet leather), plenty of wet earth, grape stems. Solid stuff. Mildly gamey even? My initial whiff made me think that this beer was corked, but the more I smelled it (and the more it breathed), I realized that it was mostly just a very musky beer.

Palate opens moderately sour with a prominent lemon and moderate grape character a little dull, very leathery and moderately musky. Wet earth. Drying on the finish with moderate musky character. Medium light in body with low carbonation. Very musky, this character really grows as it warms up, and I think this is what I mistook initially for a gamey character. Not very tannic. Low vanilla. Still, very concord grape-like in character. Finish is earthy and musky. Excellent. Unique, this is significantly different from Vigneronne, St. Lamvinus and Pinot D'aunis

08-10-2010 18:53:20 | More by DefenCorps
largadeer

4.33/5  rDev -5%

Thanks for sharing this, Alex.

The body is hazy reddish-amber, almost purple, and nicely carbonated. A half-inch head slowly settles to a collar, leaving scattered lacing.

It smells unlike any other beer I've had. Leathery and dusty with a unique musty grape character that smells both sweet and earthy. The similarity to concord grapes is apparent, it has a trace of that candy-like sweetness.

While the aroma hints at sourness, on the tongue it's sharply sour, surprisingly so, lactic in character. The grapes lend an interesting musty, earthy, semi-sweet flavor that does a good job of balancing the acid. It's very mouthwatering and fruity, and light on the tannins and oak for a Cantillon beer. The finish is clean and bright, and it's very easy to drink despite the strong acidity. Very enjoyable, one of the most unique beers in Cantillon's lineup.

08-09-2010 18:47:23 | More by largadeer
koopa

4.33/5  rDev -5%

One of the many outstanding bottles shared at a tasting we had last night at beerloco's. Big thanks to Ryan for bringing this gem!

Appearance: Pours an attractive radiant blood orange with a 1 finger white crown that displays moderate retention and decent lace.

Smell: This one is all about that distinctive fruity grape note (thinks welsh's grape jelly filled grape bubblegum) in the beginning that then gets washed over by a classic Cantillon urine and yeast wave. Truly unique and highly enjoyable.

Taste: Same as the nose but more integrated and not as grape dominant as the nose. I'd give it a 4.25 if I could.

Mouthfeel: Thin, fairly spritzy, and slightly watery in the finish. My lease favorite aspect of this brew.

Drinkability: All day and all of the night!

01-23-2011 14:47:07 | More by koopa
jethrodium

4.4/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle generously shared by colonelforbin. Huge thanks to Mike for sharing this rarity. The Don pours cruddy reddish amber with a small white head that settles to a ring and leaves a small amount of lacing on the glass. The musty, earthy grape juice. Lots of grape juice, like Welch's. There is also an aroma that smells like smarties as well as a bit of a mineral note and very light sulfur. The initial taste has a bit of sweetness with lots of musty grape juice. It is fairly tart with lactic acid. The smarties come through in the taste as well. The finish is drying with more grape juice. There as also a slight astringency. Medium body. Medium-low carbonation. This beer is certainly unique and very good. The Don lives up to the hype.

08-30-2012 20:48:25 | More by jethrodium

Mopps

10-15-2013 19:10:46 | More by Mopps
JAXSON

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

375ml bottle, 2008. Pours a clear rosy pink with a small white head. Nose is very, very dry, grape skins, deep, strange funk, floral almost. Really a lot of musty, barnyard funk. Sour of course, lemon acids, really dry wine barrel, long, sour finish where the funk just blooms. Not acetic, which was a concern given some aged Cantillon fruit lambics I've had. This is one of the most dry, deeply funky beers I've ever tasted, and it's really interesting. Tannic, oaky, bright, deep. Tight, refined, and focused. Amazing how dry and expressive the funk is here. Freakin' good.

10-25-2010 03:00:40 | More by JAXSON