Cantillon Don Quijote - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Don QuijoteCantillon Don Quijote

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

A fruit lambic brewed with Italian grapes similar to Concord grapes or Fox grapes (Vitis Labrusca) brewed exclusively for a Florence, Italy, Pub in 2008.

(Beer added by: kappldav123 on 06-12-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
t0rin0

3.78/5  rDev -17.1%

First review in 250 reviews where I'm not adding the beer. Came out of retirement to offer an opinion not skewed by hype.

Sampled 3/5/2011.

Pours a crazy pinkish orange color with a mostly white (stained with a little pink) head, moderately hazy, no lacing or retention.

Aroma is great. Heavy on the red grapes, some spices, and a healthy dose of barnyard funk and lemon in the background followed by a hint of oak. I could smell this all day.

Flavor is a huge let down. Those intense red grapes are there along with the typical fruity funk and lemon that I've come to love in my Cantiloons but what's this? Ocean water? Tastes like someone blended a pinch of sand and salt into the mix. And then comes the oak, and more oak. Very odd.

Mouthfeel is lambic. Light, really bubbly, refreshing. Drinkability is hindered by the seawater aspect of the beer.

Ƭίcƙ/Special Occasion for Wales #5,733

03-09-2011 06:47:31 | More by t0rin0
Thorpe429

4.6/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Very excited to be able to try this one. 375mL bottle.

Pours a bit lighter than cranberry juice. Maybe a slight golden tint, but not much--this is pretty much all red. Absolutely gorgeous color. Nice thin white head and some lacing as it goes down. Nose brings forth plenty of sour grapes along with some Brett and a bit of sourness. Also some hay and oak in there. The flavor really accentuates the grapes, and leaves the funk and the sourness in the background. I really like where it ended up. Mouthfeel is nice, as the interplay between the fruit flavors and the funky sourness are really carried by the carbonation. Drinkability is really quite great, as this finds a very nice balance between fruit, funk, and sour.

10-06-2010 22:04:22 | More by Thorpe429
spycow

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

01-10-2013 03:27:07 | More by spycow
ygtbsm94

11-15-2011 01:48:55 | More by ygtbsm94
largadeer

4.33/5  rDev -5%

Thanks for sharing this, Alex.

The body is hazy reddish-amber, almost purple, and nicely carbonated. A half-inch head slowly settles to a collar, leaving scattered lacing.

It smells unlike any other beer I've had. Leathery and dusty with a unique musty grape character that smells both sweet and earthy. The similarity to concord grapes is apparent, it has a trace of that candy-like sweetness.

While the aroma hints at sourness, on the tongue it's sharply sour, surprisingly so, lactic in character. The grapes lend an interesting musty, earthy, semi-sweet flavor that does a good job of balancing the acid. It's very mouthwatering and fruity, and light on the tannins and oak for a Cantillon beer. The finish is clean and bright, and it's very easy to drink despite the strong acidity. Very enjoyable, one of the most unique beers in Cantillon's lineup.

08-09-2010 18:47:23 | More by largadeer
westcoastbeerlvr

11-14-2011 18:00:10 | More by westcoastbeerlvr
MasterSki

4.65/5  rDev +2%

2008 (and only) vintage, shared amongst friends. Served in a tulip glass. Disclaimer - I loved Welch's Concord grape juice as a child.

A - A finger-plus of white foam that settles to a thin cap and thick, chunky, big-bubbled collar, leaving behind spotty lace. Lovely, lightly hazed pinkish-red color.

S - Concord grapes, freshly treated leather, morning dew, and pink grapefruit lemonade. As it warms more funk and traditional lambic flavors emerge. Wonderfully delicate and unique - totally unlike Lamvinus or Vigneronne.

T - Taste is more acidic, with strong sour grapes complete with skins and much less of the overt sweetness found in the nose. Also elements of musty attic and earth, and some light tannic oakiness. Finishes with strong acetic pucker.

M - Bone dry, with a refreshing medium-light body and effervescent carbonation spritz. Not sure how this could be better - it's exactly what I want from a lambic.

D - Acidity, pucker, and dryness would get a bit intense over the course of a 750ml bottle, but the flavor and feel are so wonderful that those are minor quibbles. I'm curious to see how fast the grape character will fade and how this will develop over time, but as it stands this is a delightful and incredibly unique Cantillon offering, and seems to be more successful than Blåbær was out of the gate. I hope this is made regularly as well, as it's almost a crime to only have one bottle left.

08-10-2010 07:02:37 | More by MasterSki
drabmuh

Maryland

4.1/5  rDev -10.1%

Opened by Thorpe429, thanks -- huge want of mine and a pretty good grape lambic.

Beer is pinkish / purple and hazy with a thin diffuse head of tiny bubbles that don't leave any lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate to low. Looks pretty good for a sour.

Aroma is fruity, like grapes with a sulfurish (not in a bad way) undertone and mild lactic sourness. I was expecting some more acetic, it was there but I'm not sure why I thought this would be vinegar.

Beer is light in body and has a mild sweetness to it, its lactic and acetic sour with hints of citric acid as well. Its not too complex, not getting a lot of grass or hay but there is a mild oakiness to it but without the vanilla, more the funk. Its nice and easy to drink. I think I like Lamvinous better but this is a good beer and I would definitely drink it again.

10-04-2010 16:48:09 | More by drabmuh
mdfb79

4.55/5  rDev -0.2%

From 01/22/11 notes. Total surprise to get to the tasting and see this one; huge thanks to ygtbsm94; thanks again Brad, this is one beer I just assumed I would never get to try. Review # 1000!

a - Pours a somewhat murky raspberry pink color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of oak, welch grapes, tart fruit, funk, yeast, and a little manure. I like the smell and did not get as much manure as some people do, but it's definitely the weakest part of the beer in my opinion.

t - Tastes of oak, grapes, tart apples, funk, tart fruit, and earthy notes.

m - Light body and low carbonation, awesome smooth body. Insanely easy to drink.

d - I thought this was an outstanding beer, aside from the smell. I just couldn't get over the small manure in the smell to give this a better grade; without that this one would have been even better. Would love to have again and very glad I even got to try this one once.

01-25-2011 04:29:19 | More by mdfb79
corby112

4.65/5  rDev +2%

HUGE thanks to Umberto for busting out this rare treat during our epic drinking session at The Goblin Pub in Pavullo nel Frignano, Italy. Your generosity knows no limits!

Pours a hazy, bright amber color with golden orange edges and a one finger frothy white head that slowly settles into a lasting ring. Sporadic streaks and spots of soapy lacing left behind.

Sweet vinous aroma with a really strong grape presence countered by a decent amount of musty funk. Nice earthy barnyard character with some horseblanket, lactic funk, cobweb, oak and grape must. Subtle acetic presence but the sweet grape and vinous dark fruit notes keep it in check. Very inviting nose with the vinous fruit and musty funk complimenting each other perfectly.

Tart and puckering with a good amount of sourness but it never becomes harsh or overly acidic. Lots of earthy barnyard funk and sweet, vinous fruit notes balancing things out. Kind of reminds me of fresh St. Lamvinous but just a bit sweeter and more vinous. There's a very prominent grape presence that counters the dry, musty funk and sour acidity nearly perfectly. Surprising how prominent the vinous fruit still is after four years. Some brett and lactic funk contribute to the complexity yet this beer remains delicate and easy to drink with some lingering acetic flavor in the finish that leaves me drooling for more. I could see this being too sweet and not sour enough for some people but I loved the balance of flavors.

09-05-2012 00:32:05 | More by corby112
DoubleJ

4.25/5  rDev -6.8%

10-29-2012 22:26:08 | More by DoubleJ
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.25/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured into Lost Abbey Stemware.

Pours a white head with a pink hue to it. Color is a grapefruit ruby red.

Aroma: Sour grapes and manure. Definitely has a cow barn flavor to it. Very funky and farm yard funk to it. Oak and lemon citrus. Has some hay and grass.

Taste: Just like cow barn. Manure is big. So weird. Sour grapes is big though. Some oak and acidity here with lemon citrus. It is definitely funky. I am very intrigued by this one. The grapes dominate the taste.

Mouthfeel: Sour, tart, and funky. Lighter bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. This one is mouth puckering. Ends dry.

Overall, it was actually fairly good for having a manure flavor to it. So funky. It was good, definitely interesting. I am glad to have tried this one.

10-23-2010 02:05:16 | More by mothman
BARFLYB

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

10-20-2013 21:32:16 | More by BARFLYB
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.68/5  rDev +2.6%

Bottle shared by ygtbsm94. Thanks Brad! This is at the very top of my beer wish list.

Review #600

Vintage 2008
Bottle 64L

A: The appearance is radiant orange/red, akin to grape juice. The beer has a small head and leaves just a trace of lacing, typical of a Cantillon lambic.

S: The aroma is fantastic, with a balance of classic Cantillon funk and freshly squeezed grape juice.

T: Like the aroma, the flavor is grape juice and funk. The beer is not overly sour or funky, but I certainly would not describe it as sweet, even though grapes / grape juice are very prominent.

M: Medium thin bodied. The aftertaste is fantastic. The balance of funk and lambic flavors with fruit is wonderful.

D: A pleasure to drink. I could have sipped this all night, if only that were possible.

01-24-2011 17:18:45 | More by Huhzubendah
HopHead84

3.63/5  rDev -20.4%

7/30/2010

375ml bottle poured into a snifter. The beer is dark red tinged orange with good clarity (sediment left behind) and a small white head. It's a very nice color.

The aroma is quite interesting. The fruit character reminds me of a cross between an unripened strawberry and grape skins with a little bit of flesh. It's musty and earthy, with notes of oak and a strong wet leather profile. I keep returning to the unripened strawberry character in my notes. It is very interesting and certainly unique. I detect a low acetic presence.

The flavor is unripened strawberries with moderately tart musty grape skins and faint raspberry vinegar notes. It's moderately lactic and acetic. Light lemon notes are evident with an accompanying moderate citric acidity and oak. I detect wet leather and earthy notes. The beer has a piquant and oaky tannic strawberry grape finish with a lower high level of lactic sourness that lingers. The finish is quite tart, mouth puckeringly so. The fruit profile is unique and delicious.

The mouthfeel is dry and lightly tannic; carbonation is at an upper low/lower medium level.

This is very good right now, and I think it will improve with age. These Italian grapes are quite delicious. This paired wonderfully with a Danish Bleu Cheese.

11/08/2012

I've tried this from six separate bottles and I think it's time to update my score. Approximately 1 of the 6 bottles has been great, but the others have suffered from a not insubstantial enterobacter aroma (think urinal mint and feces). It's a trend and not remotely aberrational. I love the label of the beer and I like the flavor, but I don't think time will correct the aroma. Some people have many bottles of this left so they will not dwell on the flaws or they will choose to ignore them. They might not even be aware of them (unlikely). But for me, Don Quijote will be forever synonymous with a great label, enterobacter, and a confusing amount of popularity. Give me Saint Lamvinus, Classic Gueuze, or countless other lambics or American sours and I'll be much happier.

I'm dropping this from a 4.5 (first bottle) to a 3.63.

07-31-2010 21:38:11 | More by HopHead84
TurdFurgison

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

06-23-2013 23:17:17 | More by TurdFurgison
jrallen34

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

HUGE thanks to Sean for this. Shared with Sean, Mike, and Alex on an awesome Sunday afternoon...375ml bottle into a Lost Abbey glass...Pours a light and bubly purple, kind of dark out but nothing special...The aroma is the best sour ever. It has the smoothest but deepest funk ever, almost manure like but in an appealing way. The first funk that actually really brings me back to the smell of visting my grandparents ranch in Texas. What makes this aroms even better is that its balanced nice with sweet smell of grapes a perfect combo to break up the depths of the funk...The taste thankfully picks up for the most part where the aroma left out. Funk is there but now the grapes come through more, a touch to much of the grapes.

This is a top beer by far and must get for all Cantillon lovers, no matter the cost. I'd love to have this again side by side with blabaer just to see which of these is truly not only the best Cantillon but best sour in the world. Yeah, its that good.

08-28-2010 22:50:56 | More by jrallen34
AgentZero

3.83/5  rDev -16%

Review #500. Big thanks to a very generous Sean9689 for succumbing to peer pressure and popping this treat open.

A - Orangish color with a slightly offwhite head that looked a little bit carbonated, surprisng for the type of beer this is. Has some nice brownish, purple hues to it, giving the hint of the concord grapes in there.

T - Oh God, I hate doing this after drinking the beer because it was nice and tasty, but I got the very distinct smell of horse manure. It litererally smelled so much like horse shit, that I had to not breath through my nose while I was drinking this (I worked with horses for a while, and it was like mucking out the stables). HUGE manure smell, not just kind of stinking, but like I stuck my face in a pile of it, wow. I don't know how everyone else was enjoying the smell, it got described by them as "horsey" or "farmy" but it was so bad for me I was repulsed. So strange, maybe just an off nose that day but I couldn't stand it. On the plus side, some nice grape came through, but I really couldn't keep sticking my nose in this much.

T - As long as I wasn't breathing through my nose, it tasted very well. Surprised that I couldn't taste horse shit, or at least my perception of it, given how closely smell and taste are linked. There is definately a lot of old barn smell in there, slightly damp hay, horse leather and blanket, and the concord grapes have a very strong, but not overpowering, grape taste. Some nice funk and tartness, it is the nicest bit jammy.

M - Jammy, smooth, dry, has a bit of a sparkling bubble carbonation, which suits it well.

D - I got it all down, but I had to hold my breath due to the horse shit taste. Other than that, this was a great beer.

10-25-2010 18:52:38 | More by AgentZero
DefenCorps

Oregon

4.28/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Many, many thanks to Alex for sharing this pricey rarity.

Mildly hazy with a thin head that leaves a little lace. Solid for an unblended druivenlambik. The nose is unique. Concord grape juice, curing leather (as opposed to wet leather), plenty of wet earth, grape stems. Solid stuff. Mildly gamey even? My initial whiff made me think that this beer was corked, but the more I smelled it (and the more it breathed), I realized that it was mostly just a very musky beer.

Palate opens moderately sour with a prominent lemon and moderate grape character a little dull, very leathery and moderately musky. Wet earth. Drying on the finish with moderate musky character. Medium light in body with low carbonation. Very musky, this character really grows as it warms up, and I think this is what I mistook initially for a gamey character. Not very tannic. Low vanilla. Still, very concord grape-like in character. Finish is earthy and musky. Excellent. Unique, this is significantly different from Vigneronne, St. Lamvinus and Pinot D'aunis

08-10-2010 18:53:20 | More by DefenCorps
bsuedekum

Missouri

01-08-2012 15:40:25 | More by bsuedekum
whartontallboy

06-24-2012 05:47:45 | More by whartontallboy
sweemzander

4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

Bottle poured into a tasting glass. Crazy thanks to Adam for sharing this one!

(A)- Pours a hazy mahogany yet reddish hue. Has some golden orange/caramel highlights. Some transparent bubbles.

(S)- First off, yes, the consensus was that this smells like manure, but I find that it did have that "poop" aroma, however it was far more like that earthy barnyard sense with some poop in there. That combined with a rather fruit forward dark grape aroma really made it almost straightforward, yet a dynamic smell for me; I like it.

(T)- Like the smell, it is quite fruit forward with a delicate tart sourness. Really is quite harmonius with that earthy aspect and some nice mellow acidic fruits.

(M)- A slightly bigger carbonation level that I expected, but not really bothersome to me. It is really well balanced without being too sour or acidic.

(D)- A refreshing offering by Cantillon. Has a really nice profile that I enjoyed immensely. Great fruit profile. Not necessarily the best beer of the night, but certainly perhaps one of the more unique ones.

10-27-2010 13:19:16 | More by sweemzander
Sean9689

4.68/5  rDev +2.6%

375ml bottle shared with some of the Chicago crew.

A - Pours a reddish/orange color, fizzy white head. Some lacing along the sides of the glass and a thin film on top as the cap.

S - Grape juice, oak, funk/tart. I'm a huge fan of the Concord grape juice-esk smell. The funk melds wonderfully with the grapes and the oak notes are an added bonus. Solid.

T - Grapes, tart/sour notes, slight oak, fruit characteristics, some must old barn in there as well. I am in lust with this beer.

M - Light, champagne-esk lively carbonation, dry finish.

D - One of my favorite beers I've ever had. This one went beyond the hype and expectations for me and I can't wait until I can try this again.

08-23-2010 22:06:23 | More by Sean9689
CheapBeerBuzz

01-26-2014 23:30:47 | More by CheapBeerBuzz
scottfrie

4.88/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A very special thanks to colonelforbin for opening The Don.

A: Pours a deep murky iced tea amber with a very thin bubbly white head.
S: Super sweet smelling with dominating notes of sugary grapes. There is a decent amount of funk beneath the sweetness that reminds me of Pez candy mixed with cheese and used baby diaper.
T: Heavy grape mouth. The grapes really do taste similar to Concord, and I can’t help but be reminded of grape jelly or grape juice. Light funk, cranberry juice, drying tannins and a little bit of grease come through alongside a bit of lemony citrus acid. Not as much baby poop as the nose. This is one of the best combination of sweet and funky flavors I’ve had the pleasure of drinking.
M: Extremely dry and extremely smooth. Sweet fruit balanced the dryness, and the acid is smooth and mellow.
O: A delight to be savored. All that were present can attest to how long it took me to drink my glass. I’ve never tasted a beer with this unique grape flavor profile. Definitely lives up to the hype.

09-12-2012 17:06:01 | More by scottfrie