Cantillon Brabantiae - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon BrabantiaeCantillon Brabantiae

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: fewa on 04-11-2011)

Opened this bottle with Channan and rvdoorn during a great evening of beer cuisine and beer tasting.
A: Opened the bottle and was surprised by the liveliness in this 20+ years old cantillon geuze. The pouring in the glass was almost like a champagne sensation. Very strong carbonation, resulting in a white head that doesn’t last long. Nice golden-brown hazy color.
S: Citrus, grapes, apple, wood and some funkiness.
T: Really incredible how fresh this beer tastes! Lemon sourness, sour apple, pleasant peppery, very oaky like you can find in a well-aged tawny porto or sercial madeira. Wine like towards the aftertaste and at the end it is oak wood and a pleasant bitterness.
M: Sparkling like a champagne, soft mouth feel with a nice bite.
O: Hugely impressed how a geuze this age can stay so lively. Very well balanced and so full of taste. Needless to say that it leaves you wanting more. A great evening with a great beer!

4.88/5  rDev +15.4%

Review #1800. Quite the milestone...

Thanks to Adam for sharing this wale!

Pours a finger of white head. Very carbonated for how old it is. A little sediment in my glass. Color is a vibrant golden orange. A light haze.

Aroma: Musty, old basement. Funky and very sour. Lemon acidicness. Astringent. Smell is amazing. Very fruity. Muskmelon. It really doesn't smell like it is 22 years old.

Taste: Spot on amazing. A perfect amount of sour and tartness. Green apples and lemon citrus with old basement funk. A little bit of vinegar. Some cobweb and basement musk. It tastes like old. Oaky with a little bit of spice and malt.

Mouthfeel: Sour and tart, but clean. Lighter bodied with a great amount of carbonation. Ends clean.

Overall, this was an incredible beer. It tastes a lot younger than 22 years old. It is phenomenal. This bottle must have been cellared perfectly. One of the best beers I have had in this style. I could easily drink a lot of this,

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

A huge thanks to PapaEugene for trading this unique bottle of Cantillon beer with me. As was told to me by Jean van Roy himself, the Branbantiae is a geuze produced on the basis of lambic that was aged on porto barrels (at these days, the first time Cantillon used different barrels in their history). The production process can be mostly compared to the production of 50°N-4°E (that was based on Lambic from cognac barrels). This beer was produced on request of Brabant (a province in Belgium) to celebrate the tripel anniversary of the late king Boudewijn. The beer was bottled in season 88-89.

L: the beer poured a hazy golden-orange body with a nice whit head, which disappeared quickly leaving a thin ring around the inside of my glass.

S: Very funky with grass, wet straw, tart lemon, fresh apples, wooden oak notes and in the background some very well hidden wine-like sweetness that I cannot really define (maybe some influence of the porto barrels?). The trademark Cantillon smell with just a little bit of extra bite. Very nice.

T: Wow, a beautiful balance of flavors back and forth. Tart, refreshing flowers, apples and lemon peel, back to tart again and a dry nice wooden bitterness in the aftertaste. The porto barrels result into a fruity suppleness that provides an exceptional balance of ripe fruits to tartness, a bit wine like. Also, I really love the wooden notes in the aftertaste. this beer has more oak influence than a typical geuze-lambic. The oak contributes more towards the end and brings some pleasant spicy-oak bitterness in the beer, which suggests that Tawney port was aged in these barrels previously.

M: Almost hard to believe this is a 22 year old beer, the carbonation is incredibly lively, amazing! Body is silky smooth and the beer tickles the tongue. Very well balanced and very drinkable.

O: This beer is even better than I could hope for. The porto barrels resulted in a very special taste and smell, making this beer quite wine-like. The tartness and funk are increased by age, like only a Cantillon can, and so amazingly balanced. This is easily one of the best Cantillon beers I ever had. I just wish I could drink more of this one.

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Look: pours a hazy orange color with a large but short lasting head. There are some yeast particles in the beer. Should have let it stand longer before opening than the 24 hours I did.
Smell: Smell was very earthy with oak, funk barnyard, citrus, and sour fruits like apple and white grapes. Only very light signs of oxidation give away that this beer is 22 years old
Taste: hell yeah, this beer is pukering sour, earthy and bit musty with clear oak and citrus. Some blue cheese with a very lemon-like acidic taste. When the beer warms up it gets more white-grape vinous. Very nice
Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and medium carbonation.
Overall: Although I have been stupid in not letting the beer rest long enough before opening, this beer is very good. It held up very well, this bottle was absolutely not over the hill yet. Gueuzes develop in a very particular way that not everybody can appreciate (or is used to), but this one is still fresh after 22 years (even more than most very old gueuzes from the 70s and 80s I had), amazing!

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

This was an experience! Thanks, first of all...to Adam Harbaugh for the share @ Darkness Day 2011. Bottle-share started in the bushes away from the crowd, like a secret society(haha)! Label was pretty rough, as expected...cap was semi rusting. Removing the cork was a headache, as expected. It broke into 3 pieces. First section came out pretty easy, as the second section was punctured, the gushing began! Finally, after struggling for a few minutes with the rest of the cork, and gushing slowly the entire time...we finally just pushed what was left of the cork down into the bottle! From a distance, lambic aroma was strong! Not to be found up close...

Aroma was amazing! Alright, let me explain. I didn't quite know what to expect for a 22 year old gueuze. When I got hit hard with a wave of mildew/wet old cellar...all I could think was, "duh"! What else should I expect with this kind of age. Through the mildew, a very faint lambic funk was hiding. The pour, by the way...was an orangish golden color. Very lively, and huge white fizzy head.

Flavor: Fantastic gueuze! I can't believe a lambic that smells this old...could taste so fresh! Age was noticeable, but despite other reviews, this bottle had plenty of life left! The carbonation was super sharp, loads of wood and gueuze tart/funk. Not watery or too aged IMO. Our group took awe at how delicious and awesome this experience was.

I would revisit this Cantillon again for sure! Of course, most know that there aren't a ton of bottles left out there. But this gives me assurance that my aging Cantillons have the chance to be this fantastic 10, 20+ years from now! Despite the aroma being the only low'er score here, this was nearly a perfect lambic!

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

750ml bottle. Shared with the staff at Toronado (those lucky guys).

When we removed the rusty cap, the cork immediately shot up 1cm, which was a good sign! Still great carbonation after all these years!!

Our bottle most definitely was not a gusher, it was perfectly carbed for a bottle conditioned lambic, which is shocking given the age.

Pour was a nice foamy golden, with a 1 finger nice frothy head.

Smell was extremely funky.. maybe even a tiny bit little mildewy, but overall the taste blew me away. It was still as crisp as ever, and I was genuinely shocked at how well the bottle held up. It was still very tart and obviously pretty dry. Nice hints of grapefruit, lemon zest, among the subtle barnyard and recessed oak flavors. The flavors were really quite layered, and not all that one-dimensional as some have described. Crisp is an adjective I'd use again, as I wouldn't expect that from a lambic with this much age on it.

Overall, I'm extremely happy to have had it. It's easily in my top tier of belgian geuezes right now, having had some of the other "renowned white whales", I can safely say this beer (for now anyways) does not disappoint. Worth what it's selling on Ebay? I don't think many beers are, but if beers like Roos and Millenium are commanding those prices, based on taste alone, this one has them beat.

4.73/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle graciously shared by Joel. Thanks!

This is the dirtiest bottle I've ever held in my hands. Black, tarry remnants of old parchment imply they were once part of a beer label as they disentigrate in my hands. Cap is rusted to hell, yet the cork is in excellent shape. Loud POP when it's pulled lets you know the beast inside is still alive and kicking.

Active, scruffy orange-gold body beneath a beautifully thick, fluffy, white head. As beautiful as it is unexpected. Billowing aroma of barnyard funk ascends from my glass. Were my eyes closed, I'd swear I was standing on a hay-covered floor inside a barn. Cheesy must, soured yeast, dry and earthy. This is what I assume it's like to nibble on a 23-year-old Gouda.

First sip brings dry yeast and citrus to the palate. Puckering sourness sets in almost immediately. Deeply funky yeast shows a level of flavor maturation I've never experienced with yeast before. Tremendous complexity at every turn. This is the oldest sour I've had (by 13 years!), and I now understand the "aged Cantillon acidity" other reviewers often cite. If only every lambic were this sour (and good!)...

I enjoyed Brabantiae immensely. This gueuze held up like a champ since its bottling in 1989, and it makes a strong case for cellaring every Cantillon / 3F bottle you have for two decades. Cheers!

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%

Bottle shared on Friday. Looked like this bottle was pulled out of a bomb shelter. Label barely in tact. To be honest, I was a bit nervous trying this as i really didn't know what to expect, and considering I have a few more bottles, this could have been a major bust from Belgium!

On the contrary, I feel like I hit the lottery. Cork pulled out in perfect condition, probably just the work of Thomas bottle popping skills but none the less it was impressive to see a 23 yr cork come out looking like the way it did.

The smell was of strong cheese, hay, barnyard. The cork, smelled like a finely aged cheese.

Taste was extremely sour. I had the first pour as well as the last and it got even more sour as this liquid gold came to room temperature.

Appearance was amber, with a cloud like head, with seltzer like bubbles.

Overall, I was really happy with this bottle and look forward to the next!

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle thanks to nerd. 1991 vintage. What a phenomenal rare tick.

Hazy golden in color with a small whitish head leaving swirls and a ring. Some red/purple hues.

Funky aroma with big barnyard funk notes, oak, and slight port notes.

Phenomenal gueuze flavor with awesome dryness and tartness and intense funkiness. Good wine-like notes.

Excellent mouthfeel, extremely dry and crisp with great acidity level.

Wow, this is a real winner. One of the better aged gueuzes I’ve had.

4.48/5  rDev +5.9%

Bottle at the DC Lambic & Sour Tasting on April 14, 2012. Served in a Cantillon wine glass.

After we were finally able to get the clay off the cap and get the nearly-disintegrated cork out of the bottle, this one pours a hazy golden color with a very small head that actually feel to leave a spot or two of lacing.

The nose carries some light bread and a touch of oxidized malt. Over the top of that was a moderate barnyard aroma with a bit of cheese and dough. Light notes of sherry and a touch of woodiness in the background.

Long flavor progression across the palate with a bit of perceived sweetness followed by moderate acidity and funk. Very light carbonation, giving way to a finish of cheese and basement notes.

Overall, this was really interesting and I really dug the funk mixed with oxidation notes. A real winner for me.

4.48/5  rDev +5.9%

Bottle at the DC Lambic & Sour Tasting on April 14, 2012. From Notes.

Appearance: I had the joy of removing the clay cap, which was a first for me. Pour was a slightly cloudy golden orange, good head and some lacing.

Smell: very cheesy, playful and fruity, touch of oxidation. Great barnyard bits, touch of sherry.

Taste: Again, quite cheesy, earthy and funk. Not nearly as sour as I expected given the age. Lots of depth and quite dynamic

Overall: Taste of history, tons of layers and complexity.

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

8/12/2011

Big thanks to Mike for opening this beer I never expected to try. The bottle was somewhat difficult to open, with the cork breaking in half before success was achieved.

A: Hazy orange with a huge white head. Nice color.

S: Horsey notes are pronounced, blending with cheese and earth. Fruit is aromatic, redolent of apple, white grape, and pear. Musty barnyard melds with horse blanket. Light lemon. Smells great.

T: Cheese and lemon with a moderate citric acidity. Earthy and musty, with ample barnyard notes. Really dry, with evident oak. Finishes with a pronounced horsey funk and lingering citric acidity.

M: Light body and high in carbonation. The mouthfeel is dry and lightly tannic.

Overall: Surprisingly excellent, A pleasure to drink. I can't believe how well this has held up.

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Bottle. Holy crap, I have never seen a 22 year old bottle, but here it is! 1989 vintage. Very generously shared by Adam. The cork gives a little trouble but finally relents and lets us sample this aged rarity. The carbonation is amazing given its age, light and lively as it is poured into a glass. A little hazy but pours an amber yellow orange color with a off white head. Lemon, pear, oak, slight barnyard, musky, and danky all in a good way. This thing smells old and I love it. The taste is very similiar to the aroma with a sour tart lemon flavor mixed with the aged funkiness. Oaky and earthy as well. Well depending on what you are used to this could go either way, love it or hate it, I happen to love it and would drink this all the time if it were available.

Cantillon Brabantiae from Brasserie Cantillon