Jean Chris Nomad 2011 - Brasserie Cantillon

Jean Chris Nomad 2011Jean Chris Nomad 2011

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Gueuze |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Radome on 10-12-2011

The third in a series of beers made for the Mi-Orge Mi-Houlbon beer store in Belgium and Jean Le Chocolatier chocolate shop. A blend of 1, 2 and 3 year old Cantillon lambic from Red Bordeaux, White Bordeaux and Cotes de Rhone barrels.
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 82 | Reviews: 27
4.3/5  rDev -2.1%

I had this beer for the second time now. Thanks again to my brother who picked up some bottles at the source. The conclusion of my first review was that this beer lacked some depth and was too young. I shared this bottle with a lambic blender who is very dear to me.
Appearance: a nice straw-yellow color with some faint lacing
nose: vinegar, earth, lemon and some horse blanket.
taste: again,lemon, funk and vinegar, with a nice wooden tone in the aftertaste. Finish is sharp and dry. Resembles the classic Cantillon gueuze, although this one is quite some more balanced and woody.
Mouthfeel: thin but vibrant.
Overall: much better than the first bottle I had, or maybe I just had a better day. Although the beer is still young, it already developed significantly over the past months. My friend and I were both very impressed how this one improved over such short time. I will open another bottle in some months again.

4.15/5  rDev -5.5%

I visited Miorge Mihoublon and saw this beer on the shelf in 750 ml bottles. Christoph, the store's owner and the "Chris" in "Jean Chris", said it was a collaboration with Cantillon using grapes. Of course I had to try it. Chris said they had made only 1000 bottles.

A - Beer is a golden color, maybe just the tiniest bit cloudy, so that it catches the light and gives the impression of being translucent. The head starts out as thin and white with large bubbles. It quickly fades to be almost non-existent. As the glass is swirled the legs are evident and there is a slight lacing.

S - This beer has a classic Cantillon gueuze aroma. It has sharp lemon on top and an undercurrent of metallic earthiness, musty grapes and a hint of sourness and barnyard funk.

T - The lemon is very assertive up front. Following that I get grainy malt and grape skins. Later there is a renewed sourness that is different from the lemon early in the palate. The finish is bone-dry.

M - The body is light. The carbonation is light to moderate. There is no burn from the alcohol or hops.

O - Tis is a very approachable, drinkable beer in the great tradition of Cantillon gueuzes. I am not an expert on the type, but I have visited the brewery and tasted a few, and this beer seems worthy of the name.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »