Cantillon Iris - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon IrisCantillon Iris

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Unblended |  5.00% ABV

From the brewery's website: "Although it is a spontaneous fermentation beer, the Iris is very different from the Lambic. The amber colour and the bitter and slightly caramelized taste make it a complex beer."

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 12-05-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Iris Alström Bros
Chingringo

mythaeus

03-16-2014 00:57:17 | More by mythaeus
boilermakerbrew

Missouri

Simply beautiful. Had a 2010 Iris on tap tonight at Hair of the Dog on Washington Ave. in St. Louis. Pours a yellowish, golden hue, with a terrific head that retains and laces the best I've seen. Smell is of sour notes intermingled with slight hints of lemon and citrus as well as the tiniest bit of hops.

Taste is superbly balanced. Sour up front with lots of lactics. As it progresses towards the back of your mouth and warms a little the citrus and lemon flavors ring through. Slight hops bite towards the end, but not bitter by any means. Great balance throughout, with a creamy smoothness going down, yet still light and refreshing for a sour.

Definitely among the best beers I've ever had, as evidenced by the straight 5's. I think this being aged a couple years and on tap puts it over the top. If you get the chance, try it; you won't be disappointed.

08-04-2012 05:48:54 | More by boilermakerbrew

Bonko_the_sane

07-05-2013 05:21:26 | More by Bonko_the_sane
slayer3604

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

A- golden amber, with nice sticky foam thats forms a 2 finger head, and settles to a ring of white foam on the sides of teh glass with small traces of lacing.

S- I can tell this beast is going to be sour, it has lemon, brown sugar, little bit of funk and its RICH. i can smell this thing even when its not by my face.

T- Extremely sour, sending tinges of acidity to the back of my jaw, lots of lemon peel, buttery on my teeth and tounge, with a rich ripe semi dry finish. Lots of cloying sour notes. awesome. awesome.

M- Very well balanced body, with a lot to discover every time you take a sip. The acidity and prolonged finish make this an epic beer.

D- At 19 bucks a bottle, its kind of steep, but i cant think of any other beer i'd rather have with key lime pie. hands down best cantillon ive tried.

11-30-2008 07:27:59 | More by slayer3604
SpasmWaiter

Vermont

4.94/5  rDev +13.6%

I am pretty sure this is my favorite beer on the planet. I just simply cannot bring myself to give anything a perfect score because what is perfect? Call me jaded, call me what you will, but there is always room for improvement, no matter how subtle.

06-23-2014 22:38:26 | More by SpasmWaiter
Antilochus

Ontario (Canada)

4.93/5  rDev +13.3%

Quaffed on...

VLAAMSVEST '08

Vintage 2005 - bottled 22/03/2007 (2 year old lambic). Unbranded (!) glass at Delirium Cafe, Brussel. Slightly hazy amber, 2cm white head. Perfectly even head and body, goes to collar. Sour apple, citric acid aromas. Musty, chalky. Incredibly smooth palate! Perfectly well balanced! Noted acidity, fruitiness, hop bitterness. This is awesome. Wirey sour grape notes, mildly fungal, haven't even swallowed yet. Not too carbonated, well attuned. Finish is the sourest thing I've ever tasted. Mild juniper, amazingly long finish on citrus, juniper again. Malt presence is minimal, only contributing to slight sweetness. Amazing that the hops can stick through this sourbomb. Slight yeasty sourdoughness comes through.

Fiendishly complex, superb. I'll remember this one forever - massive beyond its abv, and I appreciate that. An incredible beer, I'd love to try some 1990s vintages.

08-19-2008 23:46:30 | More by Antilochus
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.9/5  rDev +12.6%

Shared this bottle with orbitalr0x in Chicago at the Map Room. We had to "settle" for this one since they were out of the Vigneronne. Bastards. This beer poured a hazy amber color with a healthy 3 finger head that fell to coat the beer generously. Upon smelling it, I was taken back, even thought I had this beer once before. Sour and fruity notes hit me first, followed with tart and acidic barnyard funkyness kicking me in the face directly afterwards. Wow. The flavor is something that has to be experienced to understand. Immediate sourness and acidic flavors assaulted my tongue. This was as close to making me pucker as a beer can without making me actually do it. Damn, this beer is fine. The feel was moderate with a slight carbonation to keep it lively on the tongue. The flavors and aroma on this one is so far beyond the norm, that it can be nothing but greatness. I had to hide from one of my wife's friends, as she kept stealing drinks from my glass. I had to tell her where she could find a bottle for herself at home.

01-27-2005 23:28:54 | More by kmpitz2
brownbeer

Missouri

4.88/5  rDev +12.2%

A- Rusty with a suprisingly big dirty white head.

S- A bouquet of fresh flowers, horse blanket, iron, and funk.

T- Floral flavors blend with an acidic backing. Truely wonderful.

M- Incredible texture. Perfectly carbonated with a pickle juice like acidity.

D- I'm sad that I don't have any more. I can't wait to see this again, a must own.

09-17-2009 21:55:38 | More by brownbeer
CAMRAhardliner

Ontario (Canada)

4.88/5  rDev +12.2%

I picked up a bottle of this for 17.99 at Premier Gourmet in Buffalo. Using 50% fresh hops and no wheat in a lambic sounds really interesting, and this must be a first.

It pours a dark straw color with a wispy long lasting head that leaves a good smattering of lace on the glass. The aroma is magnificently funky and barnyardy, but without the yeast edge of other Cantillons. Hops arent really perceptable to me in the nose, the funk and acidity subsume them.

The taste is lambic perfection with an amazing twist. A huge amount of brett funk (you know, musty horse blanket, wet horse hair, a dung heap in a verdant meadow, sweaty gym socks, rotting straw, strong cheese, uric acid, all the good stuff!) and sharp sourness takeover the palate. The middle reveals a herbal, leafy hop aroma that sort of reminds me of a well hopped German Pilsner. The finish is mostly sour with some bitterness on the edges, and it lasts forever. I can definitely sense the absence of the wheat 'tartness'. The mouthfeel is full and lightly carbonated.

This is one kick ass experimental lambic, one of the tastiest Cantillons Ive had the fortune of tasting. The fresh hops and sourness work better then I was expecting.

12-30-2006 03:04:30 | More by CAMRAhardliner
Cresant

Kentucky

4.85/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured this green bottled split into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. 2005 vintage, cork stamped bottled 2007. The body was bright copper colored and clear of sediment. The modest head faded to nothing.

Smell was of damp basements and spices. Earthy. Pixie Stix candy.

Taste was woody and lightly crisp. Tart with just enough sweetness. Stone fruits, maybe nectarines. Granny Smith apple peel. Well constructed and highly drinkable.

Mouthfeel was medium to low in carbonation with a fine texture. Silky. I wish my bottle was larger.

08-25-2009 13:19:58 | More by Cresant
orbitalr0x

4.83/5  rDev +11%

I shared this bottle last night with kmpitz2 at The Map Room. The Iris evacuated the bottle with a deep golden color and a big, bubbly three finger head. Tempting aromas of vinegar acidity, barnyard funkiness, hints of citrus/floral and a bit of dirty sweat socks thrown in for good measure. Wonderfully unique and tempting.

Beautiful sour acidic puckering opening with slight floral notes and hints of lemon. Super funky, each sip brings something new. Dirty hay and barnyard stable weaves in and out and keeps me guessing....possibly some green olives that have gone bad? An extremely challenging and rewarding lambic...simply wonderful.

Smooth, crisp mouthfeel with small bubbly carbonation. This is so easy to drink and each sip just leaves me wanting more and more. Gueuze and lambic are becoming some of my favorite styles and Cantillon has blown me away so far...I highly recommend Iris and I look forward to trying more of their beers.

01-24-2005 03:26:11 | More by orbitalr0x