Cantillon Iris - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon IrisCantillon Iris

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Unblended |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 12-05-2002

From the brewery's website: "Although it is a spontaneous fermentation beer, the Iris is very different from the Lambic. The amber colour and the bitter and slightly caramelized taste make it a complex beer."
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Iris Alström Bros

1.76/5  rDev -59.5%

This is either the worst Belgian beer I've ever had, or the beer went bad. I popped the cap and beer started to come through the cork. This is a bad sign, and it is possible that the beer just went south somewhere along the bottling process. If not, yikes. The beer pours a slightly frothy head, plenty carbonated, but the smell is rancid vinegar, maybe some safflower, and other tart flowery herbs. The taste was largely undrinkable. Bitter, sour, flower petal bitterness, perfumey, just not at all good. As I said, it is possible the beer went bad on me, which I hope, because otherwise this was a total waste of a ten dollar purchase.

2.16/5  rDev -50.3%

This is quite a shocker. Pour vinigar on a tatami mat and lick it and you will know what this beer tastes like. This was not even a novelty it was just sour (can be good) and bitter (usually a good thing), but together it foul. I kept looking for redeming qualities, but there are none. This is not refreshing, tasty or anything else.

2.74/5  rDev -37%

Exceptionally well carbonated, funky yellow orange color. Champagne amounts of bubbles.

Nose burning sour. A good bit of barely and some very belgium hops.

Very sour, funky, with a lot of hops. a Kind of an wet blanket flavor in the back ground. Almost seems like Duval or something that has spoiled. As it warms and I get used to it the flavor is more and more going towards the sweet/sour flavors with the hops and the funky off putting flavor moves to the back ground where it adds complexity more to it vs just tasting weird to taste weird.

It's pretty nice drinking and feels well. Plenty of carbonation, light enough in body.

I'm a bit torn on where I stand here. I haven't reviewed many (any?) sour beers because I just don't have a feel for these things yet. This of the 4-5 I've had is in the middle. I've only had one that really impressed me. This doesn't impress me at all.

2.75/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

My least favorite Cantillion by far...not up to par with others.

2.78/5  rDev -36.1%

Bottle shared by gueuzelover. Thanks!

Pours a cloudy orange dull color with a spritzy, non-lasting white head. Smell is sour peach, funky barnyard and fruity. Flavor was exceptionally dry to me, with almost no sweetness, and a light sour vinegary character and bland fruity notes than need a little more sweetness to make them pop. Honestly not too impressive flavorwise for me, with a thin dry unsweetened apricot or peach sourness. Unique and while not bad, didn't wow me with its dullness of flavors, complex as they were.

2.98/5  rDev -31.5%

750ml corked bottle served in chalice
2004 vintage 2006 bottling date

A: cap was rusted from the inside out, cork had leaked and smelled damp. cork made no pop on opening, and pour produced no head almost flat. Has a gold orange color.

S: Musty peppery smalled with hints of greasy fried chicken but in a good way (that's the first I've ever experienced that in a beer)

T: Very sour, tart and tangy. has the classic guezey lambic taste. Dry and astringent and bitter finish that lingers too long.

M: slippery mouthfeel and leaves the mouth with a chalky feeling.

D: I don't think this beer is meant to be drunk, I think its just for collectors and blenders. I blended the remaining portion of the bottle with Muse a sweeter saison and the two together were fantastic.

3.08/5  rDev -29.2%

2007 vintage poured into a beer tulip

A-yellow honey colored pour with a respectible finger head that leaves a lacing over time.

S-tart sourness and yeast dominate the smell coming from this bottle...a wild one to be sure.

T&M-Sooo sour...I live in a state that has a great brewery for sour beers (jolly pumpkin) and this beer blows it away as far as sourness goes. Became hard for me to drink as it warmed so much so that I avoided letting it hit the sour sensors on my tongue. A great flavor that can be tasted beyond the sour, but difficult to get to because the sourness is so overpowering.

D-A good beer for the style no doubt about it, very glad I tried this beer, but I doubt I will ever buy it again given the price and some of the difficulties I had drinking it.

3.16/5  rDev -27.4%

Appearance: Orange color with a slightly fizzy white head. Not as bubbly as I expected.

Smell: Tart, sour, and rotten. I have had blended lambics before but never an unblended. Wow, I finally smell what I have heard so much about. Very different, almost a turn off but intreiging.

Taste: Sweet at first then sour, then very sour, and then very dry. Almost like a wine. It was better once I got used to it.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel was good but it was kinda hard to pay much attention to because of the tartness of the actual brew.

Overall a very different beer, something that you have to get used to. I would not be able to drink much of this.

3.3/5  rDev -24.1%

Enjoyed at Craft Ale House in Limerick on 3/19. 2005 Vintage. Reviewed from notes.

Sparkling gold, like a glass of champagne. Very bubbly and topped with one faint lily pad of foam, a bit of white lacing and ring of head.

Aroma is slightly tart, boasting a potpourri of floral notes, a little lemon sourness, some grass and a mild dryness at the end.

Flavor is very acidic, packing in lemon, dandelion, chamomile and a concluding dryness. Taste seems to be a bit overwhelmed by the tea-like floral qualities present in the beer, making it a bit of a strong sipper.

Liquid is watery at first, followed by a very dry pucker. Bitter conclusion is a shade strong, but not unpleasant.

Although I enjoyed pick out the uncommon and unique flavors in this one, the "pissy" acidity and overly floral notes were a bit overwhelming. It was nice to try once, but I may not go back and it's certainly not one of Cantillon's best (those would be the Gueuze and Saint Lamvinus, in my opinion).

3.32/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

First had: ? (probably on tap at Monk's). This review is from a recent tasting.

Pardon my lower rating, but when it comes to Cantillon, I try to be as objective as possible and ignore the overhypage. Not sure what year this bottle was--I think it was 2011 or 2012--and it had some of that gnarly sediment on top of the cork. Hazy orange-yellow pour, effervescent, with a small, fizzy, white head; moderate retention and a bit of lacing. Aroma had a funky sourness to it, wet grass, citric acid and floral notes, some woodiness. There was a rather subdued sourness up front in the taste, lemon pith and grass, horseblanket, notable (and somewhat unpleasant) hop bitterness, floral and somewhat vegetal notes, raw celery, bitter and a bit medicinal in the finish. Dry mouthfeel, light-medium to medium in body. It's decent, but not really my thing.

3.35/5  rDev -23%

appearance - amber, perfectly roasted marshmallow, creamy vanilla colored head, good carb

smell: strong floral fragrance and a nice burnt sugar (again with the toasted marshmallow, mmm)

taste: first sips were highly oaky, and either the oakiness decreased as the beer warmed or the bitterness (see mouthfeel) numbed my taste-buds

mouthfeel: thick, soft, bakers chocolate bitterness like biting into a dandelion (or iris?)

drinkability: far too bitter for my preference, however, the complexity is so intriguing and makes this an interesting lambic for sipping and pondering

3.38/5  rDev -22.3%

Iris 2003, bought at the Brasserie in Brussels. Drank on [colombian] memorial day, 18 july 2005.

This beer I hauled on the airplane back from summer vacation. brought on some extra weight but what the heck, beer is always an unmissable commodity.

I popped the beer after letting it cool down a bit more in the fridge. the appearance immediately turned to a bronze although opaque orange, which did not seem to give off much light. the head was fizzy and abundant, white, a bit like a cross between champagne and beer.

The smell was very weak, and hinted only a bit of rotten fruits (mostly apples) which I was neither disgusted by or too appreciative of.

The taste was a bit of a turndown. very acidic and soury at first. unlike other cantillons comparable with white wine, for example, this one is comparable to a somewhat brut champagne-like beer: very strong sour feel, with almost no sweetness to it although somehow the fruity sense is perfectly perceivable: apples dominated the scene, maracuja a bit in the nostrils. immediately after, a strong appearance of salty taste- so far most cantillons appear to be brewed with salt-water- which swiftly converts into a bizarre bitter taste/mouthfeel on the sides of the tongue. carbonation is abundant but not strong; I mean, it doesn't sting like in other cases, but relaxes atop the tongue slowly mixing up the beer.

this is an ok beer, but some other offerings from Cantillon are certainly worthier of my time.

Cantillon Iris from Brasserie Cantillon