Cantillon Iris - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon IrisCantillon Iris

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Unblended |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 12-05-2002

From the brewery's website: "Although it is a spontaneous fermentation beer, the Iris is very different from the Lambic. The amber colour and the bitter and slightly caramelized taste make it a complex beer."
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Iris Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,821 | Reviews: 474
4.1/5  rDev -6%

12oz Bottle poured into a Samichlaus Tulip.

2007 Vintage, according to the cork it was bottle in 2009.

A: Hazy golden/copper appearance. Tons of tiny bubbles rushing to the head , keeping a healthy froth above the beer.

S: Funky & Strong. My wife commented that she smelled in from about five feet away when I walked into the room. Tough for me to put a finger on exactly what I am smelling, as I'm still fairly new to the world of Lambics. This one smells nice, though.

T: Heavy pucker factor all the way through this one. Sour fruits are evident, and the aftertaste is unique. I like the taste, but this one needs to be enjoyed slowly, as the aftertaste lingers.

M: Nice carbonation, beer is just thick enough to be enjoyable.

D: I'm enjoying this one, but I think 12oz will be enough for one sitting. Of course, it will take me awhile to finish this since the flavors are quite potent. I'd be up to have it again at another time, for sure.

2.98/5  rDev -31.7%

750ml corked bottle served in chalice
2004 vintage 2006 bottling date

A: cap was rusted from the inside out, cork had leaked and smelled damp. cork made no pop on opening, and pour produced no head almost flat. Has a gold orange color.

S: Musty peppery smalled with hints of greasy fried chicken but in a good way (that's the first I've ever experienced that in a beer)

T: Very sour, tart and tangy. has the classic guezey lambic taste. Dry and astringent and bitter finish that lingers too long.

M: slippery mouthfeel and leaves the mouth with a chalky feeling.

D: I don't think this beer is meant to be drunk, I think its just for collectors and blenders. I blended the remaining portion of the bottle with Muse a sweeter saison and the two together were fantastic.

4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

One of the beers I brought back from Belgium. Poured into an oversized wine glass. Drinking it while watching My Cousin Vinny

A - Pours a murky golden orange with just a wee bit of carbonation although more than their Gueze.

S - As with most of the Cantillon products, this has hugely funky aroma. However, this has something off in the nose, a gluey sour aroma. With that small critique aside, this does smell pretty good, smells of an earthy barnyard tartness.

T - Hugely sour, with a big acidic flavor. I was especting a bit more hoppiness from this one, but the hop bitterness is very slight. A big earthy extremely tart Lambic.

M - More carbonated than the average Lambic, very light mouthfeel.

D - It may be tough to finish the 750ml by myself, the tartness is huge.

4.53/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cantillon Iris was served from a corked (2001), capped, and foiled 750ml bottle. In a chalice, this beautiful beer was a brilliant and shiny copper color, and was topped by an everlasting, fine, and creamy off-white head that left sheets of luxurious lacing wherever it touched. The carbonation was varied and fascinating, consisting of slower small streamers, and large speeding bubbles that would hit the surface with such force they could be seen making bumps in the head from above. The nose presented an aggressive sourness with a soft musty grapefruit component followed by herbal juniper berry and powdery floral perfumy notes. On the palate, an up-front oaky dry sourness with an assertive raw lemon accent explodes then gains a tannic bitterness before slowly dropping off, leaving lingering herbal/grassy earthen lemony aftertastes. The body is very smooth, slick, and richly full, serving to counter and balance the dry oaken sourness. The vigorous carbonation matched well with the flavors and character of this lambic. I found this beautiful all-malt lambic to be wonderfully aromatic, robustly flavorful, and a pleasure to drink.

3.85/5  rDev -11.7%

Murky yellow with a big foamy head that dissipated rather quickly.
Floral mostly Petunia, hops,funk and slight barnyard.
Very floral taste with some vinegar and barn. Lots of Lemon Concentrate. The hops are very prominent for the style which make it obvious why hops are used sparingly traditionally in this style.
A full body which is all I would expect from the style.
A good beer, but over hopped.The bitterness is not pleasant or ideal in the style.

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%

2007 vintage in a pint glass.

A - rich hazy amber, lots of head (cork popped out explosively), lingers but doesn't stick to the glass.

S - big wild yeast aroma, almost funky like a saison at times, with substantial barley underneath. only slightly sour; at this point it's all about the complex yeast.

T - tart and malty at the same time. pear & green apple cider, but also plum and grape. almost too much fruit...I think a dry finish would suit it better, but it finishes borderline sweet.

M - lots of carbonation without being overbearing. big bubbles gives it zing on the tongue without the fizz that makes lagers & the like hard for me to drink.

D - perfect example of the style. only thing wrong with it is that it's gone already.

4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

750ml corked and capped bottle. Bottled in 2010, best before 12/2020. warmed from fridgetemperature and poured into a glass mug and some beakers.

A hazy rose apricot with a bubbly off white head which soon dissapeared to a few thin patches.

Vinous sour smell. Some citrous barn. Whoah! Very smooth, sharp, sour grapefruit pith. Apple, leather, oak leads followed by a long slide to a very long prickly astringent dry finish. Whew!

Medium light body. Well carbonated. The drinkability is outstanding. I could drink this long haul.

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%

bottle bought some time ago, the first of this batch of bottles exploded 2/3 of liquid contents into living room; this time a muted pop (cork dated 2000) opens this beer.

typical cantillon mustiness with some odd malty content opens the nose on this beer.

Oddly, first taste adds more backbone than most gueuzes or lambics i have tasted in my life. the front taste is still very sour and bitter, but there is a back elemen present that is lacking in all of the cantillon products I have had recently. I am familiar with the ingredients of this beer.

this is a very sour but good beer. and a good example of unique craft from cantillon. Well worth a try!

3.85/5  rDev -11.7%

I find lambics to be very difficult to rate and review, but here goes. Poured from a 375 mL corked and capped mini-champagne bottle into a flute and split with a friend. $7.75 from Abe's in Bethlehem. Not really sure what to expect from an unblended lambic brewed with fresh hops. 2005 Vintage

Color is mostly clear orange gold, small head, fairly poor retention and no lacing. I guess all the acidity really kills the bubbles. Really nice color, though.

Smell is sour, tart and vinegary, obviously. This beer is fairly fresh for a lambic, but it is three years old and I think any hop aroma has faded.

Taste is sour but lacking in complexity. It tastes different from the other sours I have had, can't quite put my finger on it so I will chalk it up to hop bitterness. I wish I could describe it more helpfully.

Mouthfeel is nice, crisp, puckering. No complaints.

Drinkability is pretty high. I couldn't slam pint after pint of it, but that's not really the point. I could easily finish the small bottle myself, but what is the fun in that. Highly recommended as something different for fans of sours.

4.39/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A springtime brew. Fresh grass, light funk, golden lemon. Awesome

4.92/5  rDev +12.8%

Quaffed on...

VLAAMSVEST '08

Vintage 2005 - bottled 22/03/2007 (2 year old lambic). Unbranded (!) glass at Delirium Cafe, Brussel. Slightly hazy amber, 2cm white head. Perfectly even head and body, goes to collar. Sour apple, citric acid aromas. Musty, chalky. Incredibly smooth palate! Perfectly well balanced! Noted acidity, fruitiness, hop bitterness. This is awesome. Wirey sour grape notes, mildly fungal, haven't even swallowed yet. Not too carbonated, well attuned. Finish is the sourest thing I've ever tasted. Mild juniper, amazingly long finish on citrus, juniper again. Malt presence is minimal, only contributing to slight sweetness. Amazing that the hops can stick through this sourbomb. Slight yeasty sourdoughness comes through.

Fiendishly complex, superb. I'll remember this one forever - massive beyond its abv, and I appreciate that. An incredible beer, I'd love to try some 1990s vintages.

3.9/5  rDev -10.6%

Vintage 2007, tasted from 375mL bottle at Lush West Town. Pours light amber orange with a quickly fading white head. Nose is brett funk with some burnt rubber, vinegar, and a dandelion florality and just a hing of lemon and green apple. Taste is very bitter on the tip of the tongue and very sour with some citrus. The body is medium minus with sparkling carbonation and a medium finish.

3.53/5  rDev -19%

Served in a wine glass, poured from a 12 oz. corked & capped bottle. Label dated 2005, cork dated 2007.

A - Looks like most pale ales actually; a deep cloudy orange with little head.

S - Sour fruit on the nose, reminds me of cherries and citrus. Also contains some yeast on the aroma.

T - Not very complex, but interesting. Fairly sour and slightly bitter. Also carries some dry floral notes.

M - If you sip it right, it feels amazing. Nice and bubbly but not harsh; the acid cutting through the softness.

D - You've really just gotta sip this one, it's a pretty strong taste. And I wouldn't recommend more than one; i shared this bottle with a friend.

Overall - This would be great as a before or after dinner drink, or one for casual sipping. Definitely not for drinking quickly. But I enjoyed it nonetheless.

4.2/5  rDev -3.7%

Vintage 2004
Bottled in 2006

A: Beautiful golden orange. Doesn't pour with much of a head. A thin white layer rests on the top.

S: Can smell this over a foot away from me right now. Classic old lambic aromas; musky; tart; orange peel;

T/M: Similar musky, lambic taste. Quite tart. This one isn't for the faint of heart. Vinous like qualities. Mouthfeel is bone dry and a nice carbonation leaves things refreshed.

D: Nice but super tartness makes it tough to drink a ton.

Overall a very nice old lambic. Expensive, as all of these are, but worth it from time to time.

4.52/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

750 bottle. Served in white wine glass similar to those used for serving at Cantillon tasting room.

Ap: Orange/Amberish color. Big lasting off-white head. moderately hazzy, but not opaque.

Ar: Sour/Tart is the first thing you pick up. with fruit and some floral/citruisy hop presence as well. Maltiness also present. A wonderful tart/sour smell to it though. As soon as I cracked the bottle I get hit with it.

T: Not the predominant flavor, but worth mentioning first is the Hop bitterness. This beer differs from most other cantillon offerings in that they use fresh hops as opposed to aged hops which provides noticable hop bitterness on the palate. Also of note is the maltiness present. Again, not overwhelming, but it's there. These two flavors combine with the classic gueuze like flavors to create a truly unique Cantillon offering. Fruity sourn/tartness is really the dominant flavor, but the others stand out despite being reserved simply because they are so unique for a beer of this type.

O: A fantastic beer. Perhaps my new favorite Cantillon. Wish I had multiple bottles because I could sit around and drink this like a session beer all day.

3.6/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured from bottle into my Duvel tulip.

Cap was rusted and cork and top of bottle were moldy. 2005 Vintage with cork saying bottled in 2007. Two finger head that dropped within a minute. Deep amber color in the body, opaque. Smell is funky, musty attic smell, earthy, sour, floral. Tastes like a battery, really not very appealing at first, gets better with more drinks, but then reverts back, there is something off here. Chemical like tastes, wow, its really off putting. I'm glad I shared this with a friend, I don't know if I could have drank the full 750. Mouth feel is good with carbonation, drinkabilty suffers from the weird off putting metallic/chemical flavors I'm getting. This might be my first unblended lambic.

4.22/5  rDev -3.2%

bottle @ La Brocante, Brussels

brewed 11/13/2009
bottled 3/8/2011

A: Amber color. Almost completely clear. Little head and a lack of bubbles makes me conclude that this is relatively uncarbonated. Looking at the bottle date (2 months ago), I assume it probably needs to age for a few more months.

S: Some sweet fruit, like apricots or pears. Funk barely present (again, too fresh).

T: Dried apricots. Some sweetness (very slight) perceptible. Only slightly sour, with a clean aftertaste. Little astringency.

M: Flat. Light body.

O: It's definitely a unique lambic, probably due to it being made only with barley (traditionally ~30% wheat is used) and fresh hops (traditionally aged). It is pleasurable but flavors are a bit subdued. Again, this might be because it was bottled recently, and I would love to try a more aged one. Overall, not my favorite Cantillon, but still good.

4.8/5  rDev +10.1%

Rarely do you get to experience such craftsmanship in this writer's backyard as I did tonight with the Cantillon Iris. Accompanied by fellow BA, Goldorak, and another beer head I discovered what it means to master an artform.

The beer poured a stunning and bright amber peach colour with generous but very ephemeral foam. Very true to the Cantillon name.

The nose was generously greeted with young fruits (green and crab apples grapefruits and mandarine oranges, to name a few) strong hints of peppery mint tea and fresh cigar tobacco leaves near the back. The apples resurfaced often throughout the experience.

Tastes were magnificent and presented through a sparse bead. Very dry but firm, this beer boasted fruits and vanilla, oak and solidly set touches of hops all through a powerful and omnipresent acidity. The final was all about dryness derived from hops and the acidic character of this near perfect beer.

This brew displays incomparable aromatic complexity, along with intense flavours of orchard and citrus fruits buttressed by notes of wood and spices. A quenching and long finish round out the experience and render this drinker finally speechless.

Memorable!

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

2007 Iris. Bottled Feb, 2010.

Enjoyed in a 22 oz. Riedel red wine glass.

Appearance - Deep golden copper bronze.
Two finger fluffy head that subsides in a couple minutes to a thin foamy head with a decent amount of foamy lacing.

Aroma - Big, round, wheaty, malty, floral, earthy key-lime, funky, Lambic Brett & lactic nose with a nice noble, earthy hint of hops.

Palate - Malty lactic. Medium-light sourness - less sour than standard Cantillon Lambic. Slightly grainy wheat in fore-palate. Round earthy hop bitterness comes in after mid-palate.
Round herbal lemon & key-lime fruitiness. Light funk, but typical Lambic complexity.
Amazing balance & combination of flavors. Hint of malt sweetness, but fairly dry.
Flavor is huge, intense & perfect.

Mouthfeel - Good carbonation. Grainy, creamy, full, slightly attenuated lambic/lactic with Great, full, complex, predominantly hoppy finish.

Drinkability - Pretty amazing considering all the flavors stuffed into this bottle.

96 Points

Love this stuff! One of the greatest brews on this planet.

4.22/5  rDev -3.2%

A - murky, blood orange. Super small bubbles, one finger head.

S - huge vinegar, apple, lemon, lime, pear cider vinegar.

T - high cider vinegar, huge funk, lemon-lime citrus. Biting sour with a slight sweetness. I think I can detect a little dry hopping.

M - So crisp, so clean. This would overpower any beer previously drank.

D - quite sour; not sure how long I could sustain without my taste buds melting, but I'm going to try because this is delicious.

4.54/5  rDev +4.1%

Vintage 2007 poured at Churchkey on Zwanze Day.

Pours a cloudy dark gold with a leggy white lacing. Incredible lacing actually clinging the glass as I swirled it. Great look, hence the 5.

Candied orange, hay, grass, with slight garlic/onion notes come through for me in the aroma. The garlic/onion detracts somewhat.

The flavor is a different story. Beautiful mouth-filling funk and sour grapefruit fresh make up the taste.

The mouthfeel is quite outstanding. Full flavor and body yet a subtle drying finish. Medium carbonation works great with this.

This was my favorite Cantillon of the day next to Zwanze '10 and '11.

4.17/5  rDev -4.4%

This is the one I was waiting to try. I received Iris brett isolates from a guy who harvested yeast from the dregs of a 2007 bottle. I’ve got them on a lambic at home right now that I brewed and never having had this beer it was a must try so I had something to go by. It was much darker burnt orange than any of the other Cantillon offerings I had had the day of the tasting. Lots of floral notes in the nose, my guess would be from the late hop additions this beer receives. Had a really nice sweet, green apple tartness to it. This beer also had a more pronounced maltiness. I also noticed this beer had a much heavier mouth feel than the other traditional lambics that were tried. Overall I like to taste the difference of this beer with the different grain bill and hop additions against the traditional lambics.

4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

V.05 per cork
Sublime golden-hued flute of a thousand bubbles. Great head.
Aroma was peculiar, but so inviting. Rich. Complex. Beastie.
Awesome flavor of many complexions. But, to my dismay, the "tart funk" was rather subdued. I was hoping for a pucker, but I could drink this all day long without being intruded upon.
Cantillon makes an awesome product, hands down.
If this style is what you are looking for, then here is your drink.

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%

2006 vintage, bottled in 2008.

750 poured into Duvel tulip.

A: Big, rocky, meringue-like head. Murky reddish, golden color. Head vanishes a little quicker than expected. Laces nicely.

S: Tart & sour as soon as the cork is pulled. So much going on it is difficult to pin it all down. Granny smith apples. Unidentified citrus. Some pear. Maybe even some mint hiding in there. Barnyard funk. Stellar.

T: Quite sour, but pleasantly so. All tartness up front. Very grassy and fresh. Delicate Golden Delicious and Granny Smith apple peal. Asian brown pear. Lots of funk. Faint oak and vanilla notes. Just a hint of tobacco. Slightly acetic in the finish. The complexity is impressive.

M: Light and spritzy. Lively carbonation that is very well suited to the style.

D: When it comes to drinkability I feel that true lambics and geuezes have a low threshold relative to other styles. However, based on style I would rate the drinkability as high.

My first venture into sour beer was a Cantillon Geueze several years back and I just wasn't ready for it at the time. I literally had no idea what I was getting into. Lately I've been making an attempt to try more wild/sour styles now that I have a better understanding of such beers. I really enjoyed Iris and I will continue to pick up different Cantillon beers (dispite the high price) as I have the opportunity.

3.94/5  rDev -9.6%

2007 Vintage split with my girlfriend and brother. This was made possible thanks to the generosity of LSUPT. Thanks again for this Alex.

Poured into my Fantome tulip.

It pours a beautiful burnt yellow that gets brighter towards the center of the glass. A Ron of carbonation in this one which creates the billowing 2 finger off white head. The head sticks around for quite some time which I am nor use to with the style. Very nice.

Smell is a little underwhelming. The oak characteristic was the most prevalent feature. It overwhelmed the sour aromas and all the mashed fruits that were in this.

The taste is sour upfront. The sourness bleeds into some wonderful grape, apple, peach, and apricot flavors. The oak is very noticeable late in the sip.

Could drink this stuff all day. Nice and creamy mouthfeel that is still light bodied and very inviting.

My second chance with a Cantillon. They continue to live up to the hype.

Cantillon Iris from Brasserie Cantillon