Cantillon Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Lambic
No picture uploaded.

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Unblended |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 12-30-2002)

4.78/5  rDev +15.5%

NOTE: this was drawn directly from a barrel at Cantillon Brewery in Brussels, Belgium. It is a blend of 2009-2010 batches of their spontaneous lambic. It can only be had at the brewery from what I understand. The description is a bit deceptive in that the beer is blended, but not triple blended as a gueuze would be (thus, flat).

Scene: me at Cantillon, "can I get a glass of the lambic?"
Lady: "yeah...oh, I'm sorry, we have to get some from a barrel, I don't have any. I'm very sorry."
Me: (hardcore grin) "Awesome. Can I take a picture?!"
Then we went to the barrel and she drew me up some lambic, which had bugs in it, which is awesome.

A: Flat copper ale with hint of haze. There are still 3 flies in my glass even after she tried to remove all of them (there were countless). Looks much like dark apple juice. No bubbles, no lacing; anticipated as much.

S: Smells of wood, brett, lemons, grapes (fermenting), eggs, meringue. Tough to really get a full wiff.

T: Initially, this hits the palate and tastes bland. In this phase you can taste mother's nature: soil, dried alfalfa, biscuits, lamb (yes, lamb). Then as I let the beer roll over the tongue, beautiful sour flavors emerge in tones of lemon, grapefruit, apple. Upon the finish, the buttery flavor reminds me vaguely of a short oaked chardonnay in French Oak (very low levels of oak). The finish is long and hard (that's what she said). This is truly the most multi layered beer I've tasted to date, truly outstanding in the flavors and my diction cannot do it justice.

M: Thin and flat, as anticipated. I acutally feel like carbonation on this beer would inhibit the nuances. The beer feels also like it has high surface tension: as though it's beading over my tongue rather than soaking in.

O: This is an experience I will likely have only once, but certainly I will recall it so frequently. My wife will be tired of hearing this story over and over. One of my best experiences. If you ever have the chance, try this, and at 2 euro, it's a bargain in my book.

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%

I was quite happy to find this at Monk's not too long ago. I'm npot sure how many more chances I'll have to sample this, so I made sure I savored a few.

It was a hazy golden color with no head and no carbonation. The aroma is musty with some floral and citrus notes.

The body was light, but it has more mouthfeel than expected. It tastes of fresh lemon peal, honey, and of course barnyard. It finishes very clean for a sour beer and it leaves you with just enough to always want more. I don't feel it is as agressive as other Cantillon beers, but it is still fantastic. A wonderfully complex beer that I would enjoy any time, but I think it goes especially well at the begining of a meal.

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%

vintage 98 aged 3 years and kegged in 2001. poured from a 1/2 barrel i think, filled into a growler, and served an hour later. i had this on tap as well before growler filling. taste is the same. MASSIVE thanks to brent from stlhops.com for bringing this!

pours a vibrant ruby orange. no head at all, a few bubbles on the sides.

light lemon with light sour tones. very light funk.

nice light lemon flavor through out with a strong lemon finish. the funk starts at the beginning but quickly disappears. this is mainly lemon through out with very little other sour flavors except some light grape and apple at the very end.

very light and easy. virtually NO carbonation at all. body feels a bit thin.

this is painfully easy to drink and insanely delicious. very refreshing through out and no overly anything.

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%

This was a keg from November 2002, put on-tap at Monk's Cafe.

The beer is a cloudy golden peach color with nothing in the way of a head. Only the slightest trace of carbonation can be found, and only that when the beer is drank. Smells of tart apple, wheat and tangy pear greet the nose. I realize this is straight lambic with no fruit added, but a non descript frutiness comes about from the funky Brett. The taste is quite clean on the pallete and starts with a muted sweetness and grassy flavor which quickly spins on it's head to a citric acidity and back again. Amazingly sour and amazingly refreshing. I could have drank this all night, and any ulcers would be worth the risk. The body is light and the beer drinks incredibly easy. Seeing as this is nearly 3 years old, I tend to think some of the sharp funkiness and biting acidity has been smoothed out. Although this probably won't be embraced by drinkers new to the style, the straight lambic Cantillon puts out is fantastic and is worth getting whenever it can be found. Many thanks to Monk's for bringing this treat to Philly.

4.55/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.55/5  rDev +9.9%

Cantillon lambic is probably the hardest of all Cantillon beers to find, as it is only available in draft format, so you have to travel to Belgium to try it. (Saint Lamvinus is rare, but at least it is bottled and exported!!). Indeed, you will have to travel to Brussels itself to sample this beer. Because, I believe that it is only regularly available in only a small handful of places, the best of which is the In t' Spinnekopke (see BeerFly) which is located not that far from the Brasserie Cantillon, and is the highpoint of the walk back into Brussels Central from the Brewery itself.
This where I tried the beer on November 27th 2002. I believe that it is sold at about 1 years of age in the Spinnekopke.
The lambic arrived with quite a bit of life, but this does eventually settle to a usual fresh draft lambic looking fluid - almost flat and lifeless. The beautiful color of lambic is hard to describe other than to say that it looks like a draft lambic, this was a light brown color, though aged lambics may be darker and do change year to year. The odors are typical, mainly a mustiness, though not as extreme as say an Oud Beersel or Girardin lambic. The usual hints of the damp horse urine soaked straw, cow-shit and other musty marvellous fresh farmyard aromas are feint as they are somewhat masked by a lovely citric hint in the smell. Early on it is spritzy (a word often used to describe lambics/gueuzes and highly appropriate here). After time, it is less so. Tastes are of lemon drops mixed with some wood, oak perhaps, but this has a mild citric bite. All washed away in the end with the feint mustiness of freshly picked earth encrusted damp mushrooms. A dry beer, a totally astringent experience start to finish, and with no bitterness whatsoever, well maybe the very merest of hints.
You are drinking a beer that is still alive, and it shows.
Love It, or Hate It - this is a true experience everytime.

4.52/5  rDev +9.2%