2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cantillon Faro - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Faro
No picture uploaded.

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Faro |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 12-30-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 98 | Reviews: 33 | Show All Ratings:
eric5bellies

Australia

4.14/5  rDev +7.3%

Drank at Cantillon Brussels September 2012

A - Pours a darkish amber colour, no head

S - Little bit spicy and some funk.

T - Wow so balanced. Most Faros are over sweet, but this is restrained with some tartness.

M - No carbonation and medium body.

O - Not like any other beer that I have had. But well recommended. Easily the best Faro that I have had to date.

12-21-2013 11:23:47 | More by eric5bellies
jdense

Oregon

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On cask at Moeder Lambic.

A finger uneven white head from the hand pull when delivered to my seat,quick dissipation to uneven bubble size broken head. Deep gold clear body no visible carbonation ala cask. A bit sweet in the nose, a surprise. Taste is certainly on the sweet side of the rest of Cantillon products, big ass funk, wet hay, tart not sour. Mouthfeel well on the light side, no effervescence. Glad I was able to try this rare unbottled treat, but on to bigger and better things. Worth a try for the ticker (which I'm not).

11-07-2013 17:26:56 | More by jdense
warnerry

3.86/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Moeder Lambic

My first faro. Pours burnt orange with one finger of persistent off-white head. Interesting mix of sweet, sour and bitter. A bit look like a candied grapefruit. Interesting to say the least. Seems like initially the flavors don't blend very well, but if you hold it in your mouth for awhile, it comes together. Lots of lemon/grapefruit, with an initial burst of sugar. Finish is quite bitter. Certainly would not want to have this very often, but very glad I tried it.

09-10-2013 11:35:20 | More by warnerry
DoubleJ

4.14/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On cask at Moeder Lambic. On to the beer:

This faro is a toasted orange color with a thick sopay head which retains forever. The aroma has a little stink, and some rotting fruit, but in an appealing way. The taste is a little more forgiving; a kiss of grassy hops paired with rotting fruits, one part pineapple juice, not too tart and not too intense. It's a light bodied beer with a very easy going mouthfeel, little carbonation.

That was good to try. Being less intense as other Cantillon's, it might be a good starter to somebody trying to work their way into the brand.

05-23-2013 03:49:18 | More by DoubleJ
Jwale73

Rhode Island

3.86/5  rDev 0%

Served on-cask at Moeder Lambic Fontainas on 4/7/2013. Pours a burnt orange hue with a fluffy, 2.5 inch bright white head. Nose smells a bit like feet, followed by a sweet quality. Taste starts of sweet, somewhat akin to caramelized sugar, followed by an earthy/herbal quality, citric acid and some medicinal notes towards the back with a hint of artificial sweetener at the finish. Mouthfeel is light in body with a still carbonation; however, there is a bit of substance to body as well as a slightly creamy texture. Overall, this beer is good for what it is - a sour beer infused with candi sugar. Not a beer I need to revisit, but I found it considerably better than my first impression of the style (Lindemans).

04-15-2013 22:38:19 | More by Jwale73
MattSweatshirt

3.55/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had this at the brewery and is poured out of a small looking brown keg plastic thing...dunno how to classify that.

Slightly transparent yellow in the light. More orangey out of it. A small ring of bubbles clings to the glass.

Not really funky. The added sugar mellows it out. A little caramel.

Light bodied and smooth. Slight sweetness takes off most of the tart bite usually present in lambic.

Easy to drink as there is no sourness, but it loses a lot of the best characteristics of most Cantillon beers.

12-19-2012 06:04:22 | More by MattSweatshirt
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

On cask at Moeder Lambic Fontainas.

The beer is light copper hued with a half inch of head. The aroma is funky and smells like cantillon, with the addition of some sweet, fruity tones. These scents carry over into the flavor. Sweet, but not cloying, with tartness and funk playing supporting roles. Light bodied and fizzy on the palate, with lingering sweetness, reminiscent of a soda. I'm not a huge fan of faros, but this is likely the best I have had in the style.

10-30-2012 02:48:36 | More by Huhzubendah
Radome

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

Served from cask into a wine glass at the brewery following the self-guided tour. Brewery employee told me it has to be drunk quickly after blending, or the added fermentables will cause bottles to explode.

A - Color is a light amber with some red highlights. It is mostly clear with a hint of cloudiness. No head; in fact, no bubbles at all.

S - Aroma is an unusual mix of sweet and spicy smells. It has a slight, lemon-like tartness. It reminds me more of ice tea than beer, but it is still somehow inviting.

T - Sweet and tangy up front, followed by tart acid at the back of the throat. Again I am reminded of room temperature ice tea. Not like any beer I've had before.

M - Medium body. No carbonation at all. Overall smooth and creamy feeling. No alcohol detected.

O - A strange beer in regards to aromas and flavor. Not very pleasant to me. I will not seek it out again. I love the brewery and the tour, but this beer is not one I could love, despite my best effort.

10-19-2012 22:32:57 | More by Radome
oline73

Maryland

3.6/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I had this on cask at Moeder Lambic Fontainas in Brussels. Served in a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy amber with a finger of off white head and good retention.

Smell: Sweet as expected with a slight funk. There is also a citrus tartness and some Belgian yeast spice.

Taste: Sweet like the smell with some tart and funky notes. Reminds me a bit of a sweet champagne. The finish is tart and a little bit bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with fluffy carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I admit that this isn't my favorite style, but I enjoyed this one enough. The sweet and bitter is weird when combined this way.

05-13-2012 19:03:08 | More by oline73
woosterbill

Connecticut

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

Cask at Moeder Lambic Fontainas, served in a Cantillon tulip. Style tick #103(? - I can't be totally sure, since my stats are unavailable during the site overhaul, but I'm pretty sure this is the penultimate style I've yet to review).

A: Clear orange-amber body with a thin head of large impact bubbles. Looks nice in the tulip.

S: Sweet + sour, with green apple, toffee, lemonade, and some grassiness. Balanced, fresh, enticing.

T: Follows the nose: lots of tart apple, some sweet brown sugar and caramel, a bit of oakiness, some lemon, and a sticky sweet-tart finish. Exactly what I expected a great Faro to be.

M: Still, slick, and a bit sticky. Appropriate.

O: This didn't deliver the depth of funkiness I love in a Geuze or straight Lambic, but the sugary notes gave it great complexity and superb approachability - I shared my glass with several people at my table who were highly skeptical about my love affair with Lambics, and one of them even ordered his own Faro. A fascinating beer in its own right, and a potential gateway for those just beginning to show interest in the broader family of spontaneous brews.

Cheers!

04-04-2012 12:49:45 | More by woosterbill
OWSLEY069

4.8/5  rDev +24.4%

Pours a hazy orange-ish color with an off white head. In the aroma, a bit sugary and a pear fruitiness. In the taste, just like the aroma, a bit sugary and pears, but not too sweet at all. A smooth and medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a dry tart fruitiness in the aftertaste. WOW! Love it all day, sour and a nice fruitiness with a dry end.

09-29-2011 21:19:54 | More by OWSLEY069
Thorpe429

3.58/5  rDev -7.3%

On cask at the brewery during last week's trip to Belgium. Reviewed from notes.

Served in a Cantillon big-bowled wine glass, poured from a jug.

Pour yields a brew that looks a bit like apple cider with a few bubbles. No real head or lacing, but that's normal for the style, so I won't dock there. The nose is slightly cidery with some earthy must. Maybe must more than cider. A bit of funk. Light sweetness comes in during the taste. Light body with a faint bit of sugar and mild funk. No real acidity. Nice enough to try, but I'd much rather have the young lambic without the sugar.

09-15-2011 20:45:58 | More by Thorpe429
crusian

Oregon

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

Kriek with brown sugar.
Poured from a plastic jug at the Cantillon brewery, so I guess I'll call that a growler? No head, as intended, I assume based on the container.
Nose is odd. A bit of rotten apple, cider, raisin, rotten peaches... and a bit of tart. I actually don't pick up the brown sugar.
The taste is , believe it or not, a bit more odd. There is a strange warmth that coats the mouth quickly, then fades. I contribute this to the brown sugar, as it has a sweetness to it as well. It then unfolds the gueuze nearer the back of the throat, with the typical tartness. The brewer told me this is the kriek with brown sugar, but this has to be the gueuze or lambic. Just asked again, this is lambic...
This is interesting, to say the least, I wouldnt go out of my way to buy this, but I am glad I tried it. It has an odd sweetness that I don't really feel works for it. He said they don't advertise this, but it is a traditional style so they make it.
B-

Serving type: growler

04-28-2011 23:49:32 | More by crusian
TurdFurgison

3.53/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this on cask at Moeder Lambic. I usually don't get Faro, and there are a lot of GREAT things on tap at Moeder Lambic, but I realized that I probably will never see Cantillon Faro anywhere else (including the brewery). So time to try it.

This was dark gold color, light haze, with a thick foam on top. It smelled strongly of grain, very wort-like. I guess I expected more surgar in the aroma but that wasn't the case.

Very sweet tasting, just a little more sugar and this would have been TOO sweet. A little tartness but it definitely is offset by the sweetness, very balanced in that regard.

Good body despite the low (no) carbonation, I guess the sugar reverts many attributes to the mean. I liked this, very happy to try it, but it's not something I'm likely to reach for again. I really prefer the more sour creations.

04-09-2011 23:27:38 | More by TurdFurgison
callmemickey

March 2011, on cask at Moeder Lambic

A: Deep amber with golden hues. Small bubbly head that quickly receded.

S: First notes are caramel and burnt sugar, lambic funk, and wood.

T: Like the nose, burnt sugar and caramel. The sourness and woody tartness of a straight lambic is also present throughout.

M: Medium bodied. Decent amount of carbonation and zip considering this was on cask.

O: Of the few faros out there, this is one of the better ones.

03-19-2011 04:42:15 | More by callmemickey
77ships

4.18/5  rDev +8.3%

From notes, tap@Chez Moeder Lambic, only place where you can get this?
Amazing bar by the way, if you are ever near it, check it out:

A: hazy, golden, whiskey colour, no head, small Cantillon glass is cute
S: caramel with the tart & funk of Cantillon underneath
T: sweetness from the sugar & the sourness of the Cantillon have seemingly neutralized each other or are at least in a perfect balance, making this a very unique experience, sweet & tart, caramel, minor oak
M: smooth, velvety, bit dry, no carbonation
D: extremely drinkable like any Cantillon, I suppose, could never get enough

03-12-2011 10:13:57 | More by 77ships
beerpirates

Sampled at moeder lambic fontainas in Brussels.

A. Pours a hazy, dark golden amber colour with a Nice head that stayed for a long time ,

S. Strong caramel aroma, with Cantillon lambic undertones of tartness and funkiness.

T. Starts with the taste of oak , sweet oak , which remains throughout. The finish is lightly tart with a light bitterness, some tastes of bread ,

M. Smooth with no carbonation and a lightly dry finish.

D. pretty drinkable.

07-30-2010 13:16:53 | More by beerpirates
rtepiak

Poland

in cask at moeder lambic in june 2010

pour was chestnut with a smallhead that quicklz dissipated. now was herbal funk like that of old chamomile tea that had been sitting out. it had an interesting zest of herbs that was backed by a interesting sweet. a bit astringent... but more sweet. seemed like a digestive aid. it was a tad on the tart but it was a smooth flavor with a backbone of sugar. a bit sweet to have more than 250ml. but still an intersting experience.

06-13-2010 00:41:47 | More by rtepiak
alfrantzell

3.55/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Lambic and candi sugar, what could possibly go wrong?

Irish whiskey with cream on top is what it looks like. Caramel and molasses is how it tastes. It finishes dry for the amount of sugar. And it has much sugar.

As I've had just one other Faro, I don't have much to compare this to. This is easier to drink than Boon's, hence the 3.5 ratings, but that's not much of a recommendation.

04-16-2010 12:18:39 | More by alfrantzell
jgasparine

Maryland

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on cask at Chez Moder Lambic in Brussels. They prepare it on-site by blending their own candi sugar into the cask of young Cantillon lambic. It was consumed along-side a glass of straight Cantillon young lambic (also on cask) as a reference.

A- Poured perfectly still and clear (as it should be), with a medium to dark-amber body.

S- Smells like a young lambic that has had some of the acidity cut out of the nose. Pale malt and crackerlike wheat aromas are met with some funky mild lactic/acetic aromas, a touch of oakiness, and a faint trace of the candi-sugar is detectable here.

T- Very interesting. The candi-sugar seems to cut the acidity more than adding sweetness. There definitely is some sweetness here in the faro that's not present in the straight lambic, but the decrease in perceived acidity seems to outweigh the increase in sweetness. The perceived oakiness seems slightly amplified on the palate as well. All in all, this gives the Cantillon Faro a great balance between sweetness and acidity, with the same dry, oaky, musty finish you would normally get with straight lambic. Granted, this effect surely lies in the hands of the blender that adds the candi sugar!

M- A nice thin to medium mouthfeel, with a little slickness to it, very similar to that of the straight lambic. Slightly astringent with virtually no carbonation.

D- This is wonderfully drinkable- it actually seems to be wonderfully thirst-quenching as well! Drinkable on this cool afternoon in March, and I can only wonder how lovely it would be on a hot Summer afternoon!

03-25-2010 20:58:49 | More by jgasparine
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

After touring Cantillon, Elaina and I sat down to a few glasses of Geuze and Kriek. I inquired about the possibility of getting a glass of Faro and was told that they didn't have any Faro. I explained that I traveled all the way from Wisconsin to drink their Faro and would be happy to pay amply for a glass. I asked if they might have a bottle hidden somewhere that I could purchase. They told me that they don't bottle their Faro because it would explode within three weeks of bottling due to the active yeast and high sugar content but then something wonderful happened. The employee began digging through an old wooden crate. After a minute or two I was presented with a white plastic jug, the type that usually contains chemicals like anti-freeze, and a tumbler glass. So I guess, I list this serving as coming from a growler???

The beer poured dead flat. Not a bubble could be found and there wasn't a trace of lacing. The body was a dark amber, almost chestnut color. The aroma was quite mead like with strong apricot notes. In fact, I could have easily been convinced that this was an apricot mead I was drinking. The taste started like the nose - honey and apricot sweetness but that gave way to an oaky center and a interesting funky finish. Characteristic Cantillon funk was there but the strongest note was of cream. In fact, this beer left an aftertaste in my mouth long after each sip similar to half and half and reminded me of working on a dairy farm. This trait was also quite similar to something I have found in some Drei Fonteinen beers and is very pleasant. An excellent and highly unique experience.

Serving type: growler

11-19-2009 17:35:21 | More by DaPeculierDane
Travlr

District of Columbia

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearance was dark amber with a two or three bubble head that lasted about a second.
Smell was of yeast and citrus, a bit sweet and a bit sour.
Taste started sweet and progressed to sour then dry.
Very easy to drink, pairs easily with about any food. My third favorite faro (#1 is Grardin, #2 is Drie Fonteinen)

11-17-2009 01:43:06 | More by Travlr
gregmurer

France

4.58/5  rDev +18.7%

a real faro.. i'm not sure that there are any other faro that are sold actually... i mean real faro... not like the linderman's one...

bitterness? not any... It's a lambic... it's really lactic... perfectly lactic... and the sweetness of the candy make it just perfect to be drunk again and again... with or withour foods... it's perfect

12-26-2008 10:57:35 | More by gregmurer
ggaughan

Had on draft at Moeder Lambic in Brussels, a night before heading to the Cantillon brewery for another sample of it. The beer was poured from a little plastic jug that looked like a wooden barrel.

The beer poured a light golden color with just a few bubbles around the edge, no carbonation but that is to be expected with how the beer was served and the style. The aroma was sweet, not really candy sweet but borderline. Not as sweet as other Faros in Belgium. The taste was sweet up front but there was some of the trademark Cantillon tartness that balanced this beer out very well. Although not my favorite lambic style but I find it very interesting and everytime I can find one, I go after it.

01-09-2008 20:58:56 | More by ggaughan
EPICAC

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

Sampled at the brewery in Brussels.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, dark golden with no head, though some bubbles do form around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Strong caramel and candy sugar aroma, with Cantillon lambic undertones of tartness and funkiness.

Taste: Starts with a candy sweetness, which remains throughout. The finish is lightly tart with a light bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with no carbonation and a lightly dry finish.

Drinkability: A little too sweet, but that's what Faro is. Overall it's pretty drinkable.

Overall: This was my first experience with a Faro. The lack of carbonation was a little odd and the sweetness was a little much, but I was pleased with how the lambic characteristics weren't completely masked my the addition of sugars and caramel.

11-30-2006 03:09:45 | More by EPICAC