Cantillon Faro - Brasserie Cantillon

Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 12-30-2002

Reviews by Dreizhen:
4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

After touring Cantillon, Elaina and I sat down to a few glasses of Geuze and Kriek. I inquired about the possibility of getting a glass of Faro and was told that they didn't have any Faro. I explained that I traveled all the way from Wisconsin to drink their Faro and would be happy to pay amply for a glass. I asked if they might have a bottle hidden somewhere that I could purchase. They told me that they don't bottle their Faro because it would explode within three weeks of bottling due to the active yeast and high sugar content but then something wonderful happened. The employee began digging through an old wooden crate. After a minute or two I was presented with a white plastic jug, the type that usually contains chemicals like anti-freeze, and a tumbler glass. So I guess, I list this serving as coming from a growler???

The beer poured dead flat. Not a bubble could be found and there wasn't a trace of lacing. The body was a dark amber, almost chestnut color. The aroma was quite mead like with strong apricot notes. In fact, I could have easily been convinced that this was an apricot mead I was drinking. The taste started like the nose - honey and apricot sweetness but that gave way to an oaky center and a interesting funky finish. Characteristic Cantillon funk was there but the strongest note was of cream. In fact, this beer left an aftertaste in my mouth long after each sip similar to half and half and reminded me of working on a dairy farm. This trait was also quite similar to something I have found in some Drei Fonteinen beers and is very pleasant. An excellent and highly unique experience.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Moeder Lambic

My first faro. Pours burnt orange with one finger of persistent off-white head. Interesting mix of sweet, sour and bitter. A bit look like a candied grapefruit. Interesting to say the least. Seems like initially the flavors don't blend very well, but if you hold it in your mouth for awhile, it comes together. Lots of lemon/grapefruit, with an initial burst of sugar. Finish is quite bitter. Certainly would not want to have this very often, but very glad I tried it.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

3.94/5  rDev +1.5%

3.99/5  rDev +2.8%

Had on draft at Moeder Lambic in Brussels, a night before heading to the Cantillon brewery for another sample of it. The beer was poured from a little plastic jug that looked like a wooden barrel.

The beer poured a light golden color with just a few bubbles around the edge, no carbonation but that is to be expected with how the beer was served and the style. The aroma was sweet, not really candy sweet but borderline. Not as sweet as other Faros in Belgium. The taste was sweet up front but there was some of the trademark Cantillon tartness that balanced this beer out very well. Although not my favorite lambic style but I find it very interesting and everytime I can find one, I go after it.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

I sampled this lambic at the Cantillon Brewery. For my first faro, I knew to expect sweetness, but not this much. The beer pours a distinctive glowing golden hue with absolutely no head whatsoever. Carbonation is nowhere to be found, as this one is flat. Candy sugar is present in the nose and certainly in the taste. To me, this one tasted like flat Sprite as it was very syrupy. This is one of Cantillon's more limited offerings, however I don't have much interest in trying it again.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

Drank at Cantillon Brussels September 2012

A - Pours a darkish amber colour, no head

S - Little bit spicy and some funk.

T - Wow so balanced. Most Faros are over sweet, but this is restrained with some tartness.

M - No carbonation and medium body.

O - Not like any other beer that I have had. But well recommended. Easily the best Faro that I have had to date.

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%