Cantillon Faro - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Faro
No picture uploaded.

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Faro |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 12-30-2002)
Reviews by alfrantzell:
alfrantzell

3.55/5  rDev -7.8%

Lambic and candi sugar, what could possibly go wrong?

Irish whiskey with cream on top is what it looks like. Caramel and molasses is how it tastes. It finishes dry for the amount of sugar. And it has much sugar.

As I've had just one other Faro, I don't have much to compare this to. This is easier to drink than Boon's, hence the 3.5 ratings, but that's not much of a recommendation.

04-16-2010 12:18:39 | More by alfrantzell
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

After touring Cantillon, Elaina and I sat down to a few glasses of Geuze and Kriek. I inquired about the possibility of getting a glass of Faro and was told that they didn't have any Faro. I explained that I traveled all the way from Wisconsin to drink their Faro and would be happy to pay amply for a glass. I asked if they might have a bottle hidden somewhere that I could purchase. They told me that they don't bottle their Faro because it would explode within three weeks of bottling due to the active yeast and high sugar content but then something wonderful happened. The employee began digging through an old wooden crate. After a minute or two I was presented with a white plastic jug, the type that usually contains chemicals like anti-freeze, and a tumbler glass. So I guess, I list this serving as coming from a growler???

The beer poured dead flat. Not a bubble could be found and there wasn't a trace of lacing. The body was a dark amber, almost chestnut color. The aroma was quite mead like with strong apricot notes. In fact, I could have easily been convinced that this was an apricot mead I was drinking. The taste started like the nose - honey and apricot sweetness but that gave way to an oaky center and a interesting funky finish. Characteristic Cantillon funk was there but the strongest note was of cream. In fact, this beer left an aftertaste in my mouth long after each sip similar to half and half and reminded me of working on a dairy farm. This trait was also quite similar to something I have found in some Drei Fonteinen beers and is very pleasant. An excellent and highly unique experience.

11-19-2009 17:35:21 | More by DaPeculierDane
warnerry

3.86/5  rDev +0.3%

On tap at Moeder Lambic

My first faro. Pours burnt orange with one finger of persistent off-white head. Interesting mix of sweet, sour and bitter. A bit look like a candied grapefruit. Interesting to say the least. Seems like initially the flavors don't blend very well, but if you hold it in your mouth for awhile, it comes together. Lots of lemon/grapefruit, with an initial burst of sugar. Finish is quite bitter. Certainly would not want to have this very often, but very glad I tried it.

09-10-2013 11:35:20 | More by warnerry
chickenm

British Columbia (Canada)

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

11-06-2013 03:48:57 | More by chickenm
ggaughan

Had on draft at Moeder Lambic in Brussels, a night before heading to the Cantillon brewery for another sample of it. The beer was poured from a little plastic jug that looked like a wooden barrel.

The beer poured a light golden color with just a few bubbles around the edge, no carbonation but that is to be expected with how the beer was served and the style. The aroma was sweet, not really candy sweet but borderline. Not as sweet as other Faros in Belgium. The taste was sweet up front but there was some of the trademark Cantillon tartness that balanced this beer out very well. Although not my favorite lambic style but I find it very interesting and everytime I can find one, I go after it.

01-09-2008 20:58:56 | More by ggaughan
Cnorrisl

Rhode Island

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

08-24-2012 17:46:04 | More by Cnorrisl
Jon

2.95/5  rDev -23.4%

I sampled this lambic at the Cantillon Brewery. For my first faro, I knew to expect sweetness, but not this much. The beer pours a distinctive glowing golden hue with absolutely no head whatsoever. Carbonation is nowhere to be found, as this one is flat. Candy sugar is present in the nose and certainly in the taste. To me, this one tasted like flat Sprite as it was very syrupy. This is one of Cantillon's more limited offerings, however I don't have much interest in trying it again.

06-14-2003 12:07:38 | More by Jon

Australia

4.14/5  rDev +7.5%

Drank at Cantillon Brussels September 2012

A - Pours a darkish amber colour, no head

S - Little bit spicy and some funk.

T - Wow so balanced. Most Faros are over sweet, but this is restrained with some tartness.

M - No carbonation and medium body.

O - Not like any other beer that I have had. But well recommended. Easily the best Faro that I have had to date.

12-21-2013 11:23:47 | More by eric5bellies
oline73

Maryland

3.6/5  rDev -6.5%

I had this on cask at Moeder Lambic Fontainas in Brussels. Served in a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy amber with a finger of off white head and good retention.

Smell: Sweet as expected with a slight funk. There is also a citrus tartness and some Belgian yeast spice.

Taste: Sweet like the smell with some tart and funky notes. Reminds me a bit of a sweet champagne. The finish is tart and a little bit bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with fluffy carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I admit that this isn't my favorite style, but I enjoyed this one enough. The sweet and bitter is weird when combined this way.

05-13-2012 19:03:08 | More by oline73