Cantillon Faro - Brasserie Cantillon

No picture uploaded.

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Faro |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 12-30-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 139 | Reviews: 35

2.5/5  rDev -34.9%

2.75/5  rDev -28.4%

2.75/5  rDev -28.4%

2.98/5  rDev -22.4%

I sampled this lambic at the Cantillon Brewery. For my first faro, I knew to expect sweetness, but not this much. The beer pours a distinctive glowing golden hue with absolutely no head whatsoever. Carbonation is nowhere to be found, as this one is flat. Candy sugar is present in the nose and certainly in the taste. To me, this one tasted like flat Sprite as it was very syrupy. This is one of Cantillon's more limited offerings, however I don't have much interest in trying it again.

2.98/5  rDev -22.4%

Faro truly is an aquired taste. A taste that I have yet to aquire. Faro is unblended lambic in which caramel and candy sugar is added during bottling time. I believe that Cantillon uses 1 1/2 year old lambic when making this one. I sampled this at Spinnekopke in Brussels, Belgium.

I guess the Faro style just isn't my type. Overly sweet, not nearly enough funk.

3.44/5  rDev -10.4%

3.48/5  rDev -9.4%

Sampled at the brewery in Brussels.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, dark golden with no head, though some bubbles do form around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Strong caramel and candy sugar aroma, with Cantillon lambic undertones of tartness and funkiness.

Taste: Starts with a candy sweetness, which remains throughout. The finish is lightly tart with a light bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with no carbonation and a lightly dry finish.

Drinkability: A little too sweet, but that's what Faro is. Overall it's pretty drinkable.

Overall: This was my first experience with a Faro. The lack of carbonation was a little odd and the sweetness was a little much, but I was pleased with how the lambic characteristics weren't completely masked my the addition of sugars and caramel.

Kriek with brown sugar.
Poured from a plastic jug at the Cantillon brewery, so I guess I'll call that a growler? No head, as intended, I assume based on the container.
Nose is odd. A bit of rotten apple, cider, raisin, rotten peaches... and a bit of tart. I actually don't pick up the brown sugar.
The taste is , believe it or not, a bit more odd. There is a strange warmth that coats the mouth quickly, then fades. I contribute this to the brown sugar, as it has a sweetness to it as well. It then unfolds the gueuze nearer the back of the throat, with the typical tartness. The brewer told me this is the kriek with brown sugar, but this has to be the gueuze or lambic. Just asked again, this is lambic...
This is interesting, to say the least, I wouldnt go out of my way to buy this, but I am glad I tried it. It has an odd sweetness that I don't really feel works for it. He said they don't advertise this, but it is a traditional style so they make it.
B-

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Cantillon Faro from Brasserie Cantillon