Cantillon Faro - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Faro
No picture uploaded.

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Faro |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 12-30-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

01-12-2013 02:53:22 | More by Agold
Crosling

Colorado

2.93/5  rDev -23.9%

Faro truly is an aquired taste. A taste that I have yet to aquire. Faro is unblended lambic in which caramel and candy sugar is added during bottling time. I believe that Cantillon uses 1 1/2 year old lambic when making this one. I sampled this at Spinnekopke in Brussels, Belgium.

03-16-2006 03:31:37 | More by Crosling
Jon

2.95/5  rDev -23.4%

I sampled this lambic at the Cantillon Brewery. For my first faro, I knew to expect sweetness, but not this much. The beer pours a distinctive glowing golden hue with absolutely no head whatsoever. Carbonation is nowhere to be found, as this one is flat. Candy sugar is present in the nose and certainly in the taste. To me, this one tasted like flat Sprite as it was very syrupy. This is one of Cantillon's more limited offerings, however I don't have much interest in trying it again.

06-14-2003 12:07:38 | More by Jon

Unchi

06-23-2014 17:25:25 | More by Unchi
Radome

3.48/5  rDev -9.6%

Served from cask into a wine glass at the brewery following the self-guided tour. Brewery employee told me it has to be drunk quickly after blending, or the added fermentables will cause bottles to explode.

A - Color is a light amber with some red highlights. It is mostly clear with a hint of cloudiness. No head; in fact, no bubbles at all.

S - Aroma is an unusual mix of sweet and spicy smells. It has a slight, lemon-like tartness. It reminds me more of ice tea than beer, but it is still somehow inviting.

T - Sweet and tangy up front, followed by tart acid at the back of the throat. Again I am reminded of room temperature ice tea. Not like any beer I've had before.

M - Medium body. No carbonation at all. Overall smooth and creamy feeling. No alcohol detected.

O - A strange beer in regards to aromas and flavor. Not very pleasant to me. I will not seek it out again. I love the brewery and the tour, but this beer is not one I could love, despite my best effort.

Serving type: cask

10-19-2012 22:32:57 | More by Radome
EPICAC

3.48/5  rDev -9.6%

Sampled at the brewery in Brussels.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, dark golden with no head, though some bubbles do form around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Strong caramel and candy sugar aroma, with Cantillon lambic undertones of tartness and funkiness.

Taste: Starts with a candy sweetness, which remains throughout. The finish is lightly tart with a light bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with no carbonation and a lightly dry finish.

Drinkability: A little too sweet, but that's what Faro is. Overall it's pretty drinkable.

Overall: This was my first experience with a Faro. The lack of carbonation was a little odd and the sweetness was a little much, but I was pleased with how the lambic characteristics weren't completely masked my the addition of sugars and caramel.

11-30-2006 03:09:45 | More by EPICAC

11-28-2012 19:29:34 | More by mendvicdog
crusian

Oregon

Kriek with brown sugar.
Poured from a plastic jug at the Cantillon brewery, so I guess I'll call that a growler? No head, as intended, I assume based on the container.
Nose is odd. A bit of rotten apple, cider, raisin, rotten peaches... and a bit of tart. I actually don't pick up the brown sugar.
The taste is , believe it or not, a bit more odd. There is a strange warmth that coats the mouth quickly, then fades. I contribute this to the brown sugar, as it has a sweetness to it as well. It then unfolds the gueuze nearer the back of the throat, with the typical tartness. The brewer told me this is the kriek with brown sugar, but this has to be the gueuze or lambic. Just asked again, this is lambic...
This is interesting, to say the least, I wouldnt go out of my way to buy this, but I am glad I tried it. It has an odd sweetness that I don't really feel works for it. He said they don't advertise this, but it is a traditional style so they make it.
B-

Quebec (Canada)

03-15-2014 22:17:06 | More by tom10101
TheLongBeachBum

3.53/5  rDev -8.3%

After the Cantillon Lambic, the Cantillon Faro is perhaps the next hardest of all the Cantillon beers to find, this too is only available in draft format. So you will have to travel to Brussels itself to sample the Lambic and the Faro in only the handful of Cafés left that serve it.
As with the Lambic, again, I tried the Faro on November 27th 2002 at the Spinnekopke, Brussels (see BeerFly). This Café is located not that far from the Brasserie Cantillon. However, it is also available, and I indeed tried it, at Le Zageman, Brussels (also see BeerFly) which has totally authentic and very traditional surroundings in which to try this hard to find beer style from traditional lambic producers, let alone this version from Cantillon.

Unlike the draft Lambic, the Cantillon Faro has its own distinct serving Glass. Both the Spinnekopke and Le Zageman will serve the draft Faro in what resembles a Half-Pint version of a traditional dimpled English Pint Mug with handle. The Faro is served totally devoid of carbonation, and therefore incredibly flat - there is no head whatsoever to this offering. A medium to darkish brown color with hints of polished chestnut, it resembles a night old pint of English Bitter that has been leftover from a party the night before. Nose is sweet, with a feint musty odor that hints at its lambic heritage. A sweet introduction with a medium mouthfeel, this beer is not typical at all of lambics. Has a sweet-oaky middle that is pleasant, the finish fades also into a musty sweetness. This style was popular at times in the past with the people in the Payottenland that did not like the dryer more acidic lambics. Whilst the younger 1 year-old lambics were served on draft, the older 2 and 3-year lambics have brown sugar added to them to create the sweeter Faro. Cantillon apparently make this beer only on demand for local outlets, and it represents an incredibly small percentage of their production, as these days its popularity is diminishing.

One of the stranger members of the lambic family, a bit too sweet for me to drink more than one or two, but I always drink it whenever I get the chance. According to people that like Faro, Cantillons offering is very traditional and one of the best versions of this old rare style.
Cantillon Faro is therefore unique, and really quite rare these days.

12-30-2002 15:55:40 | More by TheLongBeachBum
TurdFurgison

3.53/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this on cask at Moeder Lambic. I usually don't get Faro, and there are a lot of GREAT things on tap at Moeder Lambic, but I realized that I probably will never see Cantillon Faro anywhere else (including the brewery). So time to try it.

This was dark gold color, light haze, with a thick foam on top. It smelled strongly of grain, very wort-like. I guess I expected more surgar in the aroma but that wasn't the case.

Very sweet tasting, just a little more sugar and this would have been TOO sweet. A little tartness but it definitely is offset by the sweetness, very balanced in that regard.

Good body despite the low (no) carbonation, I guess the sugar reverts many attributes to the mean. I liked this, very happy to try it, but it's not something I'm likely to reach for again. I really prefer the more sour creations.

Serving type: cask