Cantillon Faro - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Faro
No picture uploaded.

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Faro |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 12-30-2002)

chekyo4, Sep 26, 2014

Caudalie, Jul 17, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

Agold, Jan 12, 2013
2.93/5  rDev -23.5%

Faro truly is an aquired taste. A taste that I have yet to aquire. Faro is unblended lambic in which caramel and candy sugar is added during bottling time. I believe that Cantillon uses 1 1/2 year old lambic when making this one. I sampled this at Spinnekopke in Brussels, Belgium.

Crosling, Mar 16, 2006
2.95/5  rDev -23%

I sampled this lambic at the Cantillon Brewery. For my first faro, I knew to expect sweetness, but not this much. The beer pours a distinctive glowing golden hue with absolutely no head whatsoever. Carbonation is nowhere to be found, as this one is flat. Candy sugar is present in the nose and certainly in the taste. To me, this one tasted like flat Sprite as it was very syrupy. This is one of Cantillon's more limited offerings, however I don't have much interest in trying it again.

Jon, Jun 14, 2003

HeadyTheElder, Mar 30, 2014

HookemHoos, Aug 13, 2014

Unchi, Jun 23, 2014
3.48/5  rDev -9.1%

Served from cask into a wine glass at the brewery following the self-guided tour. Brewery employee told me it has to be drunk quickly after blending, or the added fermentables will cause bottles to explode.

A - Color is a light amber with some red highlights. It is mostly clear with a hint of cloudiness. No head; in fact, no bubbles at all.

S - Aroma is an unusual mix of sweet and spicy smells. It has a slight, lemon-like tartness. It reminds me more of ice tea than beer, but it is still somehow inviting.

T - Sweet and tangy up front, followed by tart acid at the back of the throat. Again I am reminded of room temperature ice tea. Not like any beer I've had before.

M - Medium body. No carbonation at all. Overall smooth and creamy feeling. No alcohol detected.

O - A strange beer in regards to aromas and flavor. Not very pleasant to me. I will not seek it out again. I love the brewery and the tour, but this beer is not one I could love, despite my best effort.

Radome, Oct 19, 2012
3.48/5  rDev -9.1%

Sampled at the brewery in Brussels.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, dark golden with no head, though some bubbles do form around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Strong caramel and candy sugar aroma, with Cantillon lambic undertones of tartness and funkiness.

Taste: Starts with a candy sweetness, which remains throughout. The finish is lightly tart with a light bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with no carbonation and a lightly dry finish.

Drinkability: A little too sweet, but that's what Faro is. Overall it's pretty drinkable.

Overall: This was my first experience with a Faro. The lack of carbonation was a little odd and the sweetness was a little much, but I was pleased with how the lambic characteristics weren't completely masked my the addition of sugars and caramel.

EPICAC, Nov 30, 2006

jlisuk, Jun 27, 2013

Moses_Malone, Aug 15, 2014

CaptainNomihodai, Jul 08, 2013

mendvicdog, Nov 28, 2012

Kriek with brown sugar.
Poured from a plastic jug at the Cantillon brewery, so I guess I'll call that a growler? No head, as intended, I assume based on the container.
Nose is odd. A bit of rotten apple, cider, raisin, rotten peaches... and a bit of tart. I actually don't pick up the brown sugar.
The taste is , believe it or not, a bit more odd. There is a strange warmth that coats the mouth quickly, then fades. I contribute this to the brown sugar, as it has a sweetness to it as well. It then unfolds the gueuze nearer the back of the throat, with the typical tartness. The brewer told me this is the kriek with brown sugar, but this has to be the gueuze or lambic. Just asked again, this is lambic...
This is interesting, to say the least, I wouldnt go out of my way to buy this, but I am glad I tried it. It has an odd sweetness that I don't really feel works for it. He said they don't advertise this, but it is a traditional style so they make it.
B-