Cantillon Faro - Brasserie Cantillon

Faro |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 12-30-2002

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

I sampled this lambic at the Cantillon Brewery. For my first faro, I knew to expect sweetness, but not this much. The beer pours a distinctive glowing golden hue with absolutely no head whatsoever. Carbonation is nowhere to be found, as this one is flat. Candy sugar is present in the nose and certainly in the taste. To me, this one tasted like flat Sprite as it was very syrupy. This is one of Cantillon's more limited offerings, however I don't have much interest in trying it again.

2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

Faro truly is an aquired taste. A taste that I have yet to aquire. Faro is unblended lambic in which caramel and candy sugar is added during bottling time. I believe that Cantillon uses 1 1/2 year old lambic when making this one. I sampled this at Spinnekopke in Brussels, Belgium.

3.18/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

On tap (or was it cask?) at Moeder Lambic.

Brownish-orange color, no head, just some bubbles on top settling from the pour. Flat aroma, cardboard and a little toffee sweetness. Bland taste, earth, burnt toffee, stale yeasty funk, strange herbal bitterness. This one was pretty rough, and didn't do much for me.

3.48/5  rDev -10.3%

Sampled at the brewery in Brussels.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, dark golden with no head, though some bubbles do form around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Strong caramel and candy sugar aroma, with Cantillon lambic undertones of tartness and funkiness.

Taste: Starts with a candy sweetness, which remains throughout. The finish is lightly tart with a light bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with no carbonation and a lightly dry finish.

Drinkability: A little too sweet, but that's what Faro is. Overall it's pretty drinkable.

Overall: This was my first experience with a Faro. The lack of carbonation was a little odd and the sweetness was a little much, but I was pleased with how the lambic characteristics weren't completely masked my the addition of sugars and caramel.

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

Kriek with brown sugar.
Poured from a plastic jug at the Cantillon brewery, so I guess I'll call that a growler? No head, as intended, I assume based on the container.
Nose is odd. A bit of rotten apple, cider, raisin, rotten peaches... and a bit of tart. I actually don't pick up the brown sugar.
The taste is , believe it or not, a bit more odd. There is a strange warmth that coats the mouth quickly, then fades. I contribute this to the brown sugar, as it has a sweetness to it as well. It then unfolds the gueuze nearer the back of the throat, with the typical tartness. The brewer told me this is the kriek with brown sugar, but this has to be the gueuze or lambic. Just asked again, this is lambic...
This is interesting, to say the least, I wouldnt go out of my way to buy this, but I am glad I tried it. It has an odd sweetness that I don't really feel works for it. He said they don't advertise this, but it is a traditional style so they make it.

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

Served from cask into a wine glass at the brewery following the self-guided tour. Brewery employee told me it has to be drunk quickly after blending, or the added fermentables will cause bottles to explode.

A - Color is a light amber with some red highlights. It is mostly clear with a hint of cloudiness. No head; in fact, no bubbles at all.

S - Aroma is an unusual mix of sweet and spicy smells. It has a slight, lemon-like tartness. It reminds me more of ice tea than beer, but it is still somehow inviting.

T - Sweet and tangy up front, followed by tart acid at the back of the throat. Again I am reminded of room temperature ice tea. Not like any beer I've had before.

M - Medium body. No carbonation at all. Overall smooth and creamy feeling. No alcohol detected.

O - A strange beer in regards to aromas and flavor. Not very pleasant to me. I will not seek it out again. I love the brewery and the tour, but this beer is not one I could love, despite my best effort.

3.52/5  rDev -9.3%

After the Cantillon Lambic, the Cantillon Faro is perhaps the next hardest of all the Cantillon beers to find, this too is only available in draft format. So you will have to travel to Brussels itself to sample the Lambic and the Faro in only the handful of Cafés left that serve it.
As with the Lambic, again, I tried the Faro on November 27th 2002 at the Spinnekopke, Brussels (see BeerFly). This Café is located not that far from the Brasserie Cantillon. However, it is also available, and I indeed tried it, at Le Zageman, Brussels (also see BeerFly) which has totally authentic and very traditional surroundings in which to try this hard to find beer style from traditional lambic producers, let alone this version from Cantillon.

Unlike the draft Lambic, the Cantillon Faro has its own distinct serving Glass. Both the Spinnekopke and Le Zageman will serve the draft Faro in what resembles a Half-Pint version of a traditional dimpled English Pint Mug with handle. The Faro is served totally devoid of carbonation, and therefore incredibly flat - there is no head whatsoever to this offering. A medium to darkish brown color with hints of polished chestnut, it resembles a night old pint of English Bitter that has been leftover from a party the night before. Nose is sweet, with a feint musty odor that hints at its lambic heritage. A sweet introduction with a medium mouthfeel, this beer is not typical at all of lambics. Has a sweet-oaky middle that is pleasant, the finish fades also into a musty sweetness. This style was popular at times in the past with the people in the Payottenland that did not like the dryer more acidic lambics. Whilst the younger 1 year-old lambics were served on draft, the older 2 and 3-year lambics have brown sugar added to them to create the sweeter Faro. Cantillon apparently make this beer only on demand for local outlets, and it represents an incredibly small percentage of their production, as these days its popularity is diminishing.

One of the stranger members of the lambic family, a bit too sweet for me to drink more than one or two, but I always drink it whenever I get the chance. According to people that like Faro, Cantillons offering is very traditional and one of the best versions of this old rare style.
Cantillon Faro is therefore unique, and really quite rare these days.

3.53/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this on cask at Moeder Lambic. I usually don't get Faro, and there are a lot of GREAT things on tap at Moeder Lambic, but I realized that I probably will never see Cantillon Faro anywhere else (including the brewery). So time to try it.

This was dark gold color, light haze, with a thick foam on top. It smelled strongly of grain, very wort-like. I guess I expected more surgar in the aroma but that wasn't the case.

Very sweet tasting, just a little more sugar and this would have been TOO sweet. A little tartness but it definitely is offset by the sweetness, very balanced in that regard.

Good body despite the low (no) carbonation, I guess the sugar reverts many attributes to the mean. I liked this, very happy to try it, but it's not something I'm likely to reach for again. I really prefer the more sour creations.

3.55/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had this at the brewery and is poured out of a small looking brown keg plastic thing...dunno how to classify that.

Slightly transparent yellow in the light. More orangey out of it. A small ring of bubbles clings to the glass.

Not really funky. The added sugar mellows it out. A little caramel.

Light bodied and smooth. Slight sweetness takes off most of the tart bite usually present in lambic.

Easy to drink as there is no sourness, but it loses a lot of the best characteristics of most Cantillon beers.

3.56/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Lambic and candi sugar, what could possibly go wrong?

Irish whiskey with cream on top is what it looks like. Caramel and molasses is how it tastes. It finishes dry for the amount of sugar. And it has much sugar.

As I've had just one other Faro, I don't have much to compare this to. This is easier to drink than Boon's, hence the 3.5 ratings, but that's not much of a recommendation.

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

On cask at the brewery during last week's trip to Belgium. Reviewed from notes.

Served in a Cantillon big-bowled wine glass, poured from a jug.

Pour yields a brew that looks a bit like apple cider with a few bubbles. No real head or lacing, but that's normal for the style, so I won't dock there. The nose is slightly cidery with some earthy must. Maybe must more than cider. A bit of funk. Light sweetness comes in during the taste. Light body with a faint bit of sugar and mild funk. No real acidity. Nice enough to try, but I'd much rather have the young lambic without the sugar.

3.61/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I had this on cask at Moeder Lambic Fontainas in Brussels. Served in a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy amber with a finger of off white head and good retention.

Smell: Sweet as expected with a slight funk. There is also a citrus tartness and some Belgian yeast spice.

Taste: Sweet like the smell with some tart and funky notes. Reminds me a bit of a sweet champagne. The finish is tart and a little bit bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with fluffy carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I admit that this isn't my favorite style, but I enjoyed this one enough. The sweet and bitter is weird when combined this way.

3.63/5  rDev -6.4%

Enjoyed at the in t' Spinnekopke in Brussels. I had visited the brewery the day before and was dissappointed that they did not have any Faro. I have never had one and never really understood what it was. The guy at the brewery said that Faro is only made when large groups come in or something along those lines. He also mentioned that the beer lasts about 2 weeks before the bottles explode.

So after ordering the Pork Loin in Gouden Carolus sauce, I had a Cantillon Faro for dessert. It was served in a thick walled sorta pint like glass, except it had dimples running up about half way the glass.

Appearance: It was a dark brown and completely opaque. No sight of a head. Very cloudy with yeast.

Smell: the aroma had changed from the Cantillon lambic I had sampled at Cantillon. A toffee sugary sweet caramel aroma had overpowered the funky aromas in it.

Taste: Sugary sweet, like a soda. Very low carbonation. A slight bit of that horse blanket and barnyard flavor was there, but faded quickly with a sweet finish.

Notes: Definitely interesting. It was like a lambic for people who couldn't handle the real thing. Candi sugar hides all the wonderful aromas and flavors of the real lambic, but it was a nice dessert accompanyment.

3.78/5  rDev -2.6%

Enjoyed at the in t' Spinnekopke in Brussels. I ordered a Kriek Sorbet and Faro for desert... the Sorbet was SO very tart that this sugary sweetness was a perfect match for it. A DARK carmelly-brown looking liquid that was completely still. Sugary sweet in the aroma and taste. I don't think I could drink more than one on its own, but honestly this perfectly offset the tartness of my desert. Worth searching out in Brussels, though mainly for it's traditional and unique character. Look here for a nice picture: http://gallery.truthbrew.com/brussels2004/DSCN6248

3.81/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On cask at Moeder Lambic.

A finger uneven white head from the hand pull when delivered to my seat,quick dissipation to uneven bubble size broken head. Deep gold clear body no visible carbonation ala cask. A bit sweet in the nose, a surprise. Taste is certainly on the sweet side of the rest of Cantillon products, big ass funk, wet hay, tart not sour. Mouthfeel well on the light side, no effervescence. Glad I was able to try this rare unbottled treat, but on to bigger and better things. Worth a try for the ticker (which I'm not).

3.84/5  rDev -1%

Served on-cask at Moeder Lambic Fontainas on 4/7/2013. Pours a burnt orange hue with a fluffy, 2.5 inch bright white head. Nose smells a bit like feet, followed by a sweet quality. Taste starts of sweet, somewhat akin to caramelized sugar, followed by an earthy/herbal quality, citric acid and some medicinal notes towards the back with a hint of artificial sweetener at the finish. Mouthfeel is light in body with a still carbonation; however, there is a bit of substance to body as well as a slightly creamy texture. Overall, this beer is good for what it is - a sour beer infused with candi sugar. Not a beer I need to revisit, but I found it considerably better than my first impression of the style (Lindemans).

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Moeder Lambic

My first faro. Pours burnt orange with one finger of persistent off-white head. Interesting mix of sweet, sour and bitter. A bit look like a candied grapefruit. Interesting to say the least. Seems like initially the flavors don't blend very well, but if you hold it in your mouth for awhile, it comes together. Lots of lemon/grapefruit, with an initial burst of sugar. Finish is quite bitter. Certainly would not want to have this very often, but very glad I tried it.

3.99/5  rDev +2.8%

Had on draft at Moeder Lambic in Brussels, a night before heading to the Cantillon brewery for another sample of it. The beer was poured from a little plastic jug that looked like a wooden barrel.

The beer poured a light golden color with just a few bubbles around the edge, no carbonation but that is to be expected with how the beer was served and the style. The aroma was sweet, not really candy sweet but borderline. Not as sweet as other Faros in Belgium. The taste was sweet up front but there was some of the trademark Cantillon tartness that balanced this beer out very well. Although not my favorite lambic style but I find it very interesting and everytime I can find one, I go after it.

Sampled at moeder lambic fontainas in Brussels.

A. Pours a hazy, dark golden amber colour with a Nice head that stayed for a long time ,

S. Strong caramel aroma, with Cantillon lambic undertones of tartness and funkiness.

T. Starts with the taste of oak , sweet oak , which remains throughout. The finish is lightly tart with a light bitterness, some tastes of bread ,

M. Smooth with no carbonation and a lightly dry finish.

D. pretty drinkable.

March 2011, on cask at Moeder Lambic

A: Deep amber with golden hues. Small bubbly head that quickly receded.

S: First notes are caramel and burnt sugar, lambic funk, and wood.

T: Like the nose, burnt sugar and caramel. The sourness and woody tartness of a straight lambic is also present throughout.

M: Medium bodied. Decent amount of carbonation and zip considering this was on cask.

O: Of the few faros out there, this is one of the better ones.

On cask at Moeder Lambic Fontainas.

The beer is light copper hued with a half inch of head. The aroma is funky and smells like cantillon, with the addition of some sweet, fruity tones. These scents carry over into the flavor. Sweet, but not cloying, with tartness and funk playing supporting roles. Light bodied and fizzy on the palate, with lingering sweetness, reminiscent of a soda. I'm not a huge fan of faros, but this is likely the best I have had in the style.

in cask at moeder lambic in june 2010

pour was chestnut with a smallhead that quicklz dissipated. now was herbal funk like that of old chamomile tea that had been sitting out. it had an interesting zest of herbs that was backed by a interesting sweet. a bit astringent... but more sweet. seemed like a digestive aid. it was a tad on the tart but it was a smooth flavor with a backbone of sugar. a bit sweet to have more than 250ml. but still an intersting experience.

4.12/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On cask at Moeder Lambic. On to the beer:

This faro is a toasted orange color with a thick sopay head which retains forever. The aroma has a little stink, and some rotting fruit, but in an appealing way. The taste is a little more forgiving; a kiss of grassy hops paired with rotting fruits, one part pineapple juice, not too tart and not too intense. It's a light bodied beer with a very easy going mouthfeel, little carbonation.

That was good to try. Being less intense as other Cantillon's, it might be a good starter to somebody trying to work their way into the brand.

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

Drank at Cantillon Brussels September 2012

A - Pours a darkish amber colour, no head

S - Little bit spicy and some funk.

T - Wow so balanced. Most Faros are over sweet, but this is restrained with some tartness.

M - No carbonation and medium body.

O - Not like any other beer that I have had. But well recommended. Easily the best Faro that I have had to date.

4.18/5  rDev +7.7%

From notes, tap@Chez Moeder Lambic, only place where you can get this?
Amazing bar by the way, if you are ever near it, check it out:

A: hazy, golden, whiskey colour, no head, small Cantillon glass is cute
S: caramel with the tart & funk of Cantillon underneath
T: sweetness from the sugar & the sourness of the Cantillon have seemingly neutralized each other or are at least in a perfect balance, making this a very unique experience, sweet & tart, caramel, minor oak
M: smooth, velvety, bit dry, no carbonation
D: extremely drinkable like any Cantillon, I suppose, could never get enough

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast