Follow our progress ...

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 12-30-2002

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 38 | Ratings: 163
3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

On cask at the brewery during last week's trip to Belgium. Reviewed from notes.

Served in a Cantillon big-bowled wine glass, poured from a jug.

Pour yields a brew that looks a bit like apple cider with a few bubbles. No real head or lacing, but that's normal for the style, so I won't dock there. The nose is slightly cidery with some earthy must. Maybe must more than cider. A bit of funk. Light sweetness comes in during the taste. Light body with a faint bit of sugar and mild funk. No real acidity. Nice enough to try, but I'd much rather have the young lambic without the sugar.

3.36/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On-cask @ Moeder Lambik. 5% ABV. 25cl/3.60 euro or 50cl/6.80 euro. Regrettably brief notes below; I'm having this the same day Brussels was bombed by terrorists, so it's been a long tiring day.

A: ~5cm wide head of white colour. Foamy consistency. It lacks the frothiness and creaminess I'd expect in a great faro. Retention is great - ~10 minutes. Leaves no lacing as it recedes.

Body colour is a murky copper-gold. Translucent, nontransparent. I see no yeast particulate within.

Given the brewery behind it, frankly I hoped for better. This is a standard appearance for a faro, but then this style is not renowned for appearance.

Sm: Has that cereal grain aroma I find rough in Cantillon's gueuze, along with some raw sweetness (this is a faro, after all), neutral Belgian pale malts, hints of wheat, and a faint suggestion of mild sourness (maybe a 1-2/10 in terms of intensity). Hop profile is nonexistent; I suspect aged hops were used purely as a preservative.

Aromatic intensity is light. Cereals dominate the aroma.

T: Subtle light sourness (no more than a 2/10 in terms of intensity) snakes it's way through this mellow beer, with cereal grains dominating (to it's detriment, I'd contend) in a simple malt bill comprised otherwise only of neutral Belgian pale malts and maybe some soft flaked wheat.

Hop profile is minimal. The Candi sugar/added sugar is in check, never throwing off the balance. And the balance is good - nary an overt claw to be found. Nicely built for a faro, with subtlety winning out over depth of flavour of intricacy.

Mf: Where it shines is in its texture - impossibly soft. Delicate, light-bodied, smooth, wet, graceful, refreshing... the only thing missing is more of a sour smackiness.

O: Bacterial complexity and lambicus yeasts take a backseat to cereal grains in this mellow brew, inviting room for still more sourness, intricacy, and depth of flavour. Given this in a blind tasting, you wouldn't rave about it. If you know it's Cantillon going in, dareisay - you might be disappointed. I'm a fan of the underappreciated (and under attempted) faro style, but this isn't the world class fare many have come to expect of Cantillon
Nevertheless, it's highly drinkable and enjoyable, and we'll worth trying - though I wouldn't advise paying an arm and a leg for it (a dark joke, perhaps, given this morning's suicide bombings).

B- (3.36) / WORTHY

3.61/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I had this on cask at Moeder Lambic Fontainas in Brussels. Served in a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy amber with a finger of off white head and good retention.

Smell: Sweet as expected with a slight funk. There is also a citrus tartness and some Belgian yeast spice.

Taste: Sweet like the smell with some tart and funky notes. Reminds me a bit of a sweet champagne. The finish is tart and a little bit bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with fluffy carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I admit that this isn't my favorite style, but I enjoyed this one enough. The sweet and bitter is weird when combined this way.

3.18/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

On tap (or was it cask?) at Moeder Lambic.

Brownish-orange color, no head, just some bubbles on top settling from the pour. Flat aroma, cardboard and a little toffee sweetness. Bland taste, earth, burnt toffee, stale yeasty funk, strange herbal bitterness. This one was pretty rough, and didn't do much for me.

4.15/5  rDev +7%

On cask at Moeder.

White head. Dark gold color.

Much sweeter than all the other cantillons. Not sour or funky at all. Has a muskmelon fruitiness to it.

Very soft and smooth. Light bodied.

Incredibly easy to drink.

On cask at Moeder Lambic Fontainas.

The beer is light copper hued with a half inch of head. The aroma is funky and smells like cantillon, with the addition of some sweet, fruity tones. These scents carry over into the flavor. Sweet, but not cloying, with tartness and funk playing supporting roles. Light bodied and fizzy on the palate, with lingering sweetness, reminiscent of a soda. I'm not a huge fan of faros, but this is likely the best I have had in the style.

4.12/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On cask at Moeder Lambic. On to the beer:

This faro is a toasted orange color with a thick sopay head which retains forever. The aroma has a little stink, and some rotting fruit, but in an appealing way. The taste is a little more forgiving; a kiss of grassy hops paired with rotting fruits, one part pineapple juice, not too tart and not too intense. It's a light bodied beer with a very easy going mouthfeel, little carbonation.

That was good to try. Being less intense as other Cantillon's, it might be a good starter to somebody trying to work their way into the brand.

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Sampled July 2010 at Cantillon
The beer arrives with a hazy, amber gold color and some large bubbled, pale looking foam that is wispy and clings to the inner ring of my glass. This smells of juice somehow; a mix of pineapple, grapefruit and perhaps even a touch of apple juices are each noticeable. The Lambic funkiness contributes notes of urea, and an earthy mustiness, while the finish smells of fresh cut wood, and a spiciness as well as something that reminds me of musty cork.

As a Faro should, the beer tastes fairly sweet and it even tastes of pineapple juice and a touch of grapefruit. This last is not as noticeable as the Faro is only lightly tart at this point. There is not quite enough lactic tartness to really cut through / balance the sweetness, but there is definitely some tartness to this beer. Musty cork flavors, ro more likely oaky notes add a touch of bit to help balance out the sweetness and there is some spicy oak character here as well. The body makes this light and quaffable, despite the sweetness that has been added.

This has quite a mellow sweetness for a Faro; it manages to be quite nicely balanced and is definitely very tasty. The light sweetness brings out a refreshing quality that is different from the same character that one sees in a dry Lambic. I would prefer more acidity to this brew, but I am really finding the ample fruitiness here to be quite interesting and enjoyable.

Sampled at the Brewery 2001:
This strangely enough tasted similar to a lightly sweetened herbal tea. Quite flat, a bit astringent, and with a pleasing herbal and flowery character to it. This is the only sweetened offering from Cantillon, and I believe it is only availible from the Brewery, where they add a bit of sugar to it just before serving.

3.53/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this on cask at Moeder Lambic. I usually don't get Faro, and there are a lot of GREAT things on tap at Moeder Lambic, but I realized that I probably will never see Cantillon Faro anywhere else (including the brewery). So time to try it.

This was dark gold color, light haze, with a thick foam on top. It smelled strongly of grain, very wort-like. I guess I expected more surgar in the aroma but that wasn't the case.

Very sweet tasting, just a little more sugar and this would have been TOO sweet. A little tartness but it definitely is offset by the sweetness, very balanced in that regard.

Good body despite the low (no) carbonation, I guess the sugar reverts many attributes to the mean. I liked this, very happy to try it, but it's not something I'm likely to reach for again. I really prefer the more sour creations.

3.84/5  rDev -1%

Served on-cask at Moeder Lambic Fontainas on 4/7/2013. Pours a burnt orange hue with a fluffy, 2.5 inch bright white head. Nose smells a bit like feet, followed by a sweet quality. Taste starts of sweet, somewhat akin to caramelized sugar, followed by an earthy/herbal quality, citric acid and some medicinal notes towards the back with a hint of artificial sweetener at the finish. Mouthfeel is light in body with a still carbonation; however, there is a bit of substance to body as well as a slightly creamy texture. Overall, this beer is good for what it is - a sour beer infused with candi sugar. Not a beer I need to revisit, but I found it considerably better than my first impression of the style (Lindemans).

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Moeder Lambic

My first faro. Pours burnt orange with one finger of persistent off-white head. Interesting mix of sweet, sour and bitter. A bit look like a candied grapefruit. Interesting to say the least. Seems like initially the flavors don't blend very well, but if you hold it in your mouth for awhile, it comes together. Lots of lemon/grapefruit, with an initial burst of sugar. Finish is quite bitter. Certainly would not want to have this very often, but very glad I tried it.

4.77/5  rDev +22.9%

Pours a hazy orange-ish color with an off white head. In the aroma, a bit sugary and a pear fruitiness. In the taste, just like the aroma, a bit sugary and pears, but not too sweet at all. A smooth and medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a dry tart fruitiness in the aftertaste. WOW! Love it all day, sour and a nice fruitiness with a dry end.

4.6/5  rDev +18.6%

When at Cantillon the other week, I was chatting to Mr. Van Roy about where I could sample the draught lambic and faro. He said that no lambic was in Brussels right now, but that the Faro could be found at the Le Zageman lambic cafe in Brussels. So, we walked to Le Zageman and ordered two dimpled mugs of Cantillon Faro for 2 euros a piece. The brew was a dark red colour with no head. The aromas were of Cantillons funky lambicy gueuze, mixed with some sweet candy sugar. The taste was very refreshing. This still had a bunch of lambic funk, and some nice malt to it, but the candy sugar really made this an easy-to-drink, thirst quencher. The mouthfeel is flat, but it lends itself well to this style of beer and the drinkability was very, very excellent! I'm glad that I got to try this...in a very authentic Brussels cafe, no less!

3.52/5  rDev -9.3%

After the Cantillon Lambic, the Cantillon Faro is perhaps the next hardest of all the Cantillon beers to find, this too is only available in draft format. So you will have to travel to Brussels itself to sample the Lambic and the Faro in only the handful of Cafés left that serve it.
As with the Lambic, again, I tried the Faro on November 27th 2002 at the Spinnekopke, Brussels (see BeerFly). This Café is located not that far from the Brasserie Cantillon. However, it is also available, and I indeed tried it, at Le Zageman, Brussels (also see BeerFly) which has totally authentic and very traditional surroundings in which to try this hard to find beer style from traditional lambic producers, let alone this version from Cantillon.

Unlike the draft Lambic, the Cantillon Faro has its own distinct serving Glass. Both the Spinnekopke and Le Zageman will serve the draft Faro in what resembles a Half-Pint version of a traditional dimpled English Pint Mug with handle. The Faro is served totally devoid of carbonation, and therefore incredibly flat - there is no head whatsoever to this offering. A medium to darkish brown color with hints of polished chestnut, it resembles a night old pint of English Bitter that has been leftover from a party the night before. Nose is sweet, with a feint musty odor that hints at its lambic heritage. A sweet introduction with a medium mouthfeel, this beer is not typical at all of lambics. Has a sweet-oaky middle that is pleasant, the finish fades also into a musty sweetness. This style was popular at times in the past with the people in the Payottenland that did not like the dryer more acidic lambics. Whilst the younger 1 year-old lambics were served on draft, the older 2 and 3-year lambics have brown sugar added to them to create the sweeter Faro. Cantillon apparently make this beer only on demand for local outlets, and it represents an incredibly small percentage of their production, as these days its popularity is diminishing.

One of the stranger members of the lambic family, a bit too sweet for me to drink more than one or two, but I always drink it whenever I get the chance. According to people that like Faro, Cantillons offering is very traditional and one of the best versions of this old rare style.
Cantillon Faro is therefore unique, and really quite rare these days.

4.42/5  rDev +13.9%

Cask at Moeder Lambic Fontainas, served in a Cantillon tulip. Style tick #103(? - I can't be totally sure, since my stats are unavailable during the site overhaul, but I'm pretty sure this is the penultimate style I've yet to review).

A: Clear orange-amber body with a thin head of large impact bubbles. Looks nice in the tulip.

S: Sweet + sour, with green apple, toffee, lemonade, and some grassiness. Balanced, fresh, enticing.

T: Follows the nose: lots of tart apple, some sweet brown sugar and caramel, a bit of oakiness, some lemon, and a sticky sweet-tart finish. Exactly what I expected a great Faro to be.

M: Still, slick, and a bit sticky. Appropriate.

O: This didn't deliver the depth of funkiness I love in a Geuze or straight Lambic, but the sugary notes gave it great complexity and superb approachability - I shared my glass with several people at my table who were highly skeptical about my love affair with Lambics, and one of them even ordered his own Faro. A fascinating beer in its own right, and a potential gateway for those just beginning to show interest in the broader family of spontaneous brews.

Cheers!

2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

Faro truly is an aquired taste. A taste that I have yet to aquire. Faro is unblended lambic in which caramel and candy sugar is added during bottling time. I believe that Cantillon uses 1 1/2 year old lambic when making this one. I sampled this at Spinnekopke in Brussels, Belgium.

3.55/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had this at the brewery and is poured out of a small looking brown keg plastic thing...dunno how to classify that.

Slightly transparent yellow in the light. More orangey out of it. A small ring of bubbles clings to the glass.

Not really funky. The added sugar mellows it out. A little caramel.

Light bodied and smooth. Slight sweetness takes off most of the tart bite usually present in lambic.

Easy to drink as there is no sourness, but it loses a lot of the best characteristics of most Cantillon beers.

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

After touring Cantillon, Elaina and I sat down to a few glasses of Geuze and Kriek. I inquired about the possibility of getting a glass of Faro and was told that they didn't have any Faro. I explained that I traveled all the way from Wisconsin to drink their Faro and would be happy to pay amply for a glass. I asked if they might have a bottle hidden somewhere that I could purchase. They told me that they don't bottle their Faro because it would explode within three weeks of bottling due to the active yeast and high sugar content but then something wonderful happened. The employee began digging through an old wooden crate. After a minute or two I was presented with a white plastic jug, the type that usually contains chemicals like anti-freeze, and a tumbler glass. So I guess, I list this serving as coming from a growler???

The beer poured dead flat. Not a bubble could be found and there wasn't a trace of lacing. The body was a dark amber, almost chestnut color. The aroma was quite mead like with strong apricot notes. In fact, I could have easily been convinced that this was an apricot mead I was drinking. The taste started like the nose - honey and apricot sweetness but that gave way to an oaky center and a interesting funky finish. Characteristic Cantillon funk was there but the strongest note was of cream. In fact, this beer left an aftertaste in my mouth long after each sip similar to half and half and reminded me of working on a dairy farm. This trait was also quite similar to something I have found in some Drei Fonteinen beers and is very pleasant. An excellent and highly unique experience.

3.81/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On cask at Moeder Lambic.

A finger uneven white head from the hand pull when delivered to my seat,quick dissipation to uneven bubble size broken head. Deep gold clear body no visible carbonation ala cask. A bit sweet in the nose, a surprise. Taste is certainly on the sweet side of the rest of Cantillon products, big ass funk, wet hay, tart not sour. Mouthfeel well on the light side, no effervescence. Glad I was able to try this rare unbottled treat, but on to bigger and better things. Worth a try for the ticker (which I'm not).

in cask at moeder lambic in june 2010

pour was chestnut with a smallhead that quicklz dissipated. now was herbal funk like that of old chamomile tea that had been sitting out. it had an interesting zest of herbs that was backed by a interesting sweet. a bit astringent... but more sweet. seemed like a digestive aid. it was a tad on the tart but it was a smooth flavor with a backbone of sugar. a bit sweet to have more than 250ml. but still an intersting experience.

March 2011, on cask at Moeder Lambic

A: Deep amber with golden hues. Small bubbly head that quickly receded.

S: First notes are caramel and burnt sugar, lambic funk, and wood.

T: Like the nose, burnt sugar and caramel. The sourness and woody tartness of a straight lambic is also present throughout.

M: Medium bodied. Decent amount of carbonation and zip considering this was on cask.

O: Of the few faros out there, this is one of the better ones.

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

Drank at Cantillon Brussels September 2012

A - Pours a darkish amber colour, no head

S - Little bit spicy and some funk.

T - Wow so balanced. Most Faros are over sweet, but this is restrained with some tartness.

M - No carbonation and medium body.

O - Not like any other beer that I have had. But well recommended. Easily the best Faro that I have had to date.

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

Served from cask into a wine glass at the brewery following the self-guided tour. Brewery employee told me it has to be drunk quickly after blending, or the added fermentables will cause bottles to explode.

A - Color is a light amber with some red highlights. It is mostly clear with a hint of cloudiness. No head; in fact, no bubbles at all.

S - Aroma is an unusual mix of sweet and spicy smells. It has a slight, lemon-like tartness. It reminds me more of ice tea than beer, but it is still somehow inviting.

T - Sweet and tangy up front, followed by tart acid at the back of the throat. Again I am reminded of room temperature ice tea. Not like any beer I've had before.

M - Medium body. No carbonation at all. Overall smooth and creamy feeling. No alcohol detected.

O - A strange beer in regards to aromas and flavor. Not very pleasant to me. I will not seek it out again. I love the brewery and the tour, but this beer is not one I could love, despite my best effort.

4.77/5  rDev +22.9%

From notes on 9/15/15. On Cask at Moeder Lambic. Poured a lighter color, almost like an American Pilsner. Big sweet taste. Hints of apricot maybe? Very good.

Sampled at moeder lambic fontainas in Brussels.

A. Pours a hazy, dark golden amber colour with a Nice head that stayed for a long time ,

S. Strong caramel aroma, with Cantillon lambic undertones of tartness and funkiness.

T. Starts with the taste of oak , sweet oak , which remains throughout. The finish is lightly tart with a light bitterness, some tastes of bread ,

M. Smooth with no carbonation and a lightly dry finish.

D. pretty drinkable.