Cantillon Faro - Brasserie Cantillon

No picture uploaded.

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Faro |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 12-30-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 139 | Reviews: 35
4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

4.42/5  rDev +15.1%

Cask at Moeder Lambic Fontainas, served in a Cantillon tulip. Style tick #103(? - I can't be totally sure, since my stats are unavailable during the site overhaul, but I'm pretty sure this is the penultimate style I've yet to review).

A: Clear orange-amber body with a thin head of large impact bubbles. Looks nice in the tulip.

S: Sweet + sour, with green apple, toffee, lemonade, and some grassiness. Balanced, fresh, enticing.

T: Follows the nose: lots of tart apple, some sweet brown sugar and caramel, a bit of oakiness, some lemon, and a sticky sweet-tart finish. Exactly what I expected a great Faro to be.

M: Still, slick, and a bit sticky. Appropriate.

O: This didn't deliver the depth of funkiness I love in a Geuze or straight Lambic, but the sugary notes gave it great complexity and superb approachability - I shared my glass with several people at my table who were highly skeptical about my love affair with Lambics, and one of them even ordered his own Faro. A fascinating beer in its own right, and a potential gateway for those just beginning to show interest in the broader family of spontaneous brews.

Cheers!

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

4.77/5  rDev +24.2%

Pours a hazy orange-ish color with an off white head. In the aroma, a bit sugary and a pear fruitiness. In the taste, just like the aroma, a bit sugary and pears, but not too sweet at all. A smooth and medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a dry tart fruitiness in the aftertaste. WOW! Love it all day, sour and a nice fruitiness with a dry end.

3.58/5  rDev -6.8%

On cask at the brewery during last week's trip to Belgium. Reviewed from notes.

Served in a Cantillon big-bowled wine glass, poured from a jug.

Pour yields a brew that looks a bit like apple cider with a few bubbles. No real head or lacing, but that's normal for the style, so I won't dock there. The nose is slightly cidery with some earthy must. Maybe must more than cider. A bit of funk. Light sweetness comes in during the taste. Light body with a faint bit of sugar and mild funk. No real acidity. Nice enough to try, but I'd much rather have the young lambic without the sugar.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

Kriek with brown sugar.
Poured from a plastic jug at the Cantillon brewery, so I guess I'll call that a growler? No head, as intended, I assume based on the container.
Nose is odd. A bit of rotten apple, cider, raisin, rotten peaches... and a bit of tart. I actually don't pick up the brown sugar.
The taste is , believe it or not, a bit more odd. There is a strange warmth that coats the mouth quickly, then fades. I contribute this to the brown sugar, as it has a sweetness to it as well. It then unfolds the gueuze nearer the back of the throat, with the typical tartness. The brewer told me this is the kriek with brown sugar, but this has to be the gueuze or lambic. Just asked again, this is lambic...
This is interesting, to say the least, I wouldnt go out of my way to buy this, but I am glad I tried it. It has an odd sweetness that I don't really feel works for it. He said they don't advertise this, but it is a traditional style so they make it.
B-

3.53/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this on cask at Moeder Lambic. I usually don't get Faro, and there are a lot of GREAT things on tap at Moeder Lambic, but I realized that I probably will never see Cantillon Faro anywhere else (including the brewery). So time to try it.

This was dark gold color, light haze, with a thick foam on top. It smelled strongly of grain, very wort-like. I guess I expected more surgar in the aroma but that wasn't the case.

Very sweet tasting, just a little more sugar and this would have been TOO sweet. A little tartness but it definitely is offset by the sweetness, very balanced in that regard.

Good body despite the low (no) carbonation, I guess the sugar reverts many attributes to the mean. I liked this, very happy to try it, but it's not something I'm likely to reach for again. I really prefer the more sour creations.

March 2011, on cask at Moeder Lambic

A: Deep amber with golden hues. Small bubbly head that quickly receded.

S: First notes are caramel and burnt sugar, lambic funk, and wood.

T: Like the nose, burnt sugar and caramel. The sourness and woody tartness of a straight lambic is also present throughout.

M: Medium bodied. Decent amount of carbonation and zip considering this was on cask.

O: Of the few faros out there, this is one of the better ones.

4.18/5  rDev +8.9%

From notes, tap@Chez Moeder Lambic, only place where you can get this?
Amazing bar by the way, if you are ever near it, check it out:

A: hazy, golden, whiskey colour, no head, small Cantillon glass is cute
S: caramel with the tart & funk of Cantillon underneath
T: sweetness from the sugar & the sourness of the Cantillon have seemingly neutralized each other or are at least in a perfect balance, making this a very unique experience, sweet & tart, caramel, minor oak
M: smooth, velvety, bit dry, no carbonation
D: extremely drinkable like any Cantillon, I suppose, could never get enough

Sampled at moeder lambic fontainas in Brussels.

A. Pours a hazy, dark golden amber colour with a Nice head that stayed for a long time ,

S. Strong caramel aroma, with Cantillon lambic undertones of tartness and funkiness.

T. Starts with the taste of oak , sweet oak , which remains throughout. The finish is lightly tart with a light bitterness, some tastes of bread ,

M. Smooth with no carbonation and a lightly dry finish.

D. pretty drinkable.

in cask at moeder lambic in june 2010

pour was chestnut with a smallhead that quicklz dissipated. now was herbal funk like that of old chamomile tea that had been sitting out. it had an interesting zest of herbs that was backed by a interesting sweet. a bit astringent... but more sweet. seemed like a digestive aid. it was a tad on the tart but it was a smooth flavor with a backbone of sugar. a bit sweet to have more than 250ml. but still an intersting experience.

3.56/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Lambic and candi sugar, what could possibly go wrong?

Irish whiskey with cream on top is what it looks like. Caramel and molasses is how it tastes. It finishes dry for the amount of sugar. And it has much sugar.

As I've had just one other Faro, I don't have much to compare this to. This is easier to drink than Boon's, hence the 3.5 ratings, but that's not much of a recommendation.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Cantillon Faro from Brasserie Cantillon