Cantillon Saint Lamvinus - Brasserie Cantillon

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: truthbrew on 03-20-2003

Reviews: 453 | Hads: 1,794
4.72/5  rDev +7.5%

Thanks to Jastack for the brew.

For me, this will be a day long remembered. Isabella Proximus, Jahva, Gordon, and now Cantillon Saint Lamvinus. Truly epic.

Pours a hazy reddish pink brown. Yes, all those at once. A half inch or so of white foam quickly vanishes, leaving a thin white crust behind.

Smell is the familiar sour funk with a tart, acidic red wine background. The taste is more varied, with the familiar sour apple/pear funk overlaid with chardonnay grapes gone funky, and a wonderful effervescent soury champagne-esque/dry mouthfeel. Have I mentioned "sour" enough yet? If not, here's one more: the beer is sour.

One of the greatest beers I've ever had, and the vinous/oaky characteristics are truly sublime. If I hadn't tasted Isabella Proximus earlier today, I might actually be even more glowing in my review than I am. But, so it goes. (856 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured a clear blood red with almost no head. It looks like carbonated red wine.

Aroma is sour with some funk and a grape note to it.

Deliciously sour yet a sweetness emerges towards the finish. this is the most winelike beer i have ever had. Clean and complex with oak, red grape, and a nice acidity.

Slight carbonation the body is slick, almost like regular juice.

I wish i could drink this every day. Sadly it is very expensive so i will have to stick with IPA and Pils. (477 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +7.5%

A: Murky raspberry color, with a thin layer of head that dissipates into a tiny layer of bubbles, leaving minimal, foamy lacing.

S: Sour yet sweet, with a distinct barnyard scent. Lots of berries and some fresh herbs, with some other fruits also making an entrance (grapes, dark cherries).

T: A truly great lambic. Lots of berries and grapes, with an acidic finish. Very tangy and funky. Lots of great lambic character. A touch of merlot/bordeaux on the aftertaste, but not as much as I expected.

M: Soft and slightly chewy. Medium bodied. Acidity provides a nice, mid-palate tingle, but it finishes clean.

D: As it warms, it only gets better. I could drink this forever. (676 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +7.7%

Served in a tall 8oz flute for $9.00. 6% ABV. Sampled 8/13/10.

From the website:
"The grapes, of the merlot and cabernet-franc varieties, are soaked in Bordeaux barrels containing two to three years old lambic. The beer is not blended before the bottling. The foam is caused by the addition of a liquor which starts the fermentation."

A: One finger of bubbling head, lilac in color and quick to disappear. No trace of film, collar or lace. But the body has such a beautiful, hazy lavender hue that it doesn’t even matter. Gorgeous.

S: Vinous on the nose, with tart berries and sweet red wine grapes adding to the tannic quality already present from the barrel. A well incorporated level of hay and yeasty funk balance out the sweet aromas.

T: Other worldly. Honestly. Red berries and grapes take over the taste buds. This is one of the most wine-like beers I’ve ever had.

M: Perfectly effervescent, sour, lip smackingly tart with puckering acidity and boasting a fuller body than most lambics. Dry from middle of the palate on. A nearly complete flavor/mouthfeel experience.

D: I’m a big fan of St. Lamvinus on draft, and may even prefer it to its bottled counterpart. Very refreshing and extremely easy to drink. (1,226 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Edit: first time was a very small pour.

I was able to have a more substantial pour this time and it was just as good or better. Pours a beautiful bright pink with a bubbly white head. The smell and taste is funk and grape and oak. My favorite Cantillon to date. (266 characters)

750ml bottle 5,0% Abv.
Served lightly chilled poured into a tulip wine glass.
Bottled 21st November 2010

Sours are quickly becoming my favorite style, really looking forward to this one.
No pop as the cork is removed. I hope this one is ok carbonation wise.

Appearance: Good lord, what a colour! St. Lamvinus pours the most stunning crimson (first pour is clear, subsequent pours result in a yeast haze) with a small light pink head. While the head doesn’t last long, it is expected from the style and with such an amazing colour I just can’t bear to knock any points off.

Smell: Hmmm, I did expect this to be pretty full of grapes but my first sniff tells me that funk might just be dominant. I guess that’s a good thing though, since I LOVE lambic funk. Superb balance between tart fruits and funk. The funkiness dominates overall, with: Musty cellars, old books, cobwebs, cheese (much stronger than in other lambics I have had), hints of sweat, hay and lovely woody notes. Having said that, the fruit is far from forgotten. Red grapes (I couldn't tell the variety though), red wine vinegar and sour cherry skins are present throughout and every now and then I get a blast of over ripe red grapes and just the tiniest hint of raspberry.

Taste: Ah yes, nothing like the mouth-puckering sourness of the first sip of a Cantillon! After 2 sips my mouth is used to the sourness and I can begin to appreciate the amazing complexities in the beer. Sour, fruity, funky - what more could I want?
The flavour is huge and so complex that any description seems to be very inadequate. Guess I’ll just have to try.
Red grapes (I would be closer to guessing merlot in the flavour than the smell), sour cherries, red wine vinegar, oak, dusty, farmyard, sweat, foot-like cheese (sounds dreadful, but works so well), old books, the list goes on.

Mouthfeel: Just lighter than medium bodied with typical lambic (Perfect!!!) carbonation. I am very glad carbonation is not an issue like I first thought; it would have destroyed the beer. The medium-low level of fine, slightly tingly carbonation works beautifully with the sourness.

Overall: Superb, one of the best beers I have had. The only improvement I could suggest and it's only a small one - a little more grape aroma would have been nice. Though maybe a fresher bottle would have delivered. Still a beer I will most certainly buy again! (2,395 characters)

Cork says 2003.

Beautiful looking hue of scarlet. With a dash of that cranapple juice look to it. This fucker literally radiates. There's a bubbly light pink froth that caps it off quite nicely. It recedes to a thick, bubbly collar that leaves sporadic clingy lace.

Aroma is quite nice. Soft notes of vinegar, mustiness and barnyard funk are complented nicely by some purple grape sweetness and wine characteristics.

I find that this lambic really finds a happy medium between sour and sweet. It's got that horse blanket and farmyard funk going on. And the acidic properties, acetic acid, etc... but to a lesser extent than most Cantillon offerings. On the flip side, this beer also has a touch of grape fruit sweetness and red wine. And it's an interaction that works to perfection.

This beer is Bone Dry. Sahara Desert Dry. And the carbonation is ever so subtle. The body is about medium or so. And this beer leaves you wanting more, sip after sip, until it is gone... (985 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 21 November 2010 courtesy of mrand01.

Pours a translucent dark crimson with bright ruby red hues. Looks a shade lighter than cranberry juice, with a bit of tawny paleness to it. Small soapy/bubbly off-white head that slowly dissipates laving some light spotty lacing.

Aromas begin with sour grapes and earthy mustiness. Then I get some vinegar, oak and with some acidic citrus and yeasty barnyard funk. Light stone/tropical fruits like peach and pineapple are coming to mind as well.

The tastes begin with plenty of lactic/citric acidity to go along with sweet and sour grapes. The oak and Brett offer up some nice tannins and funk as well. Not overly tart but def reminds me a little of a sour patch kid that has been left out and is getting a little stale and moldy. As it warms all the flavors really start to make themselves known; must, vinegar, earth and funk throughout, yet never overpowering or offensive.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium to low carbonation. Finish is dry and tart but not overly so. Oak and brett flavors linger ever so slightly on the palate.

Overall this is definitely one of the best, if not the best Lambic I have ever had. It hits right in my wheelhouse; funky, sour, tart, fruity, tannic but none are over the top or out of balance. Really one of the best beers I have ever had because the flavor profile is so straight-forward and yet so complex at the same time because each of the subtle flavors makes an appearance as you sample. Def worth trading for/seeking out and laying out a little extra if need be to obtain. (1,577 characters)

2009 vintage opened in honor of my gf Kristin

A- A very aggressive pour gave me a rather thin 3-finger head that faded quickly. The color of the foam was a wonderful light purplish-pink. The beer itself is a dark pink-purple, with interesting purple hues. A very pretty beer.

S- The first smell to hit my nose is Cantillons distinctive sourness, but this time it is slightly refined with more musty funk layered about the aromas. Upon a further inspection, I am happily greeted by a deep layer of funk and its elements, lots of grape tannins and then some of the distinctive aromas of welchs grape juice followed by a the bracing sourness only found in Cantillon.

T- Awesome! Leather funk, mixed into layers of lush Merlot with a slight creamy texture, unusually found in lambic. The finish is where the complexity shines, the grapes add another dimension to the oncoming and reoccurring waves of funk and sour. The funk in is this vintage is fantastic, the most refined Cantillon I have come across.

M- Carbonation is on the higher side and adds a very nice contrast to the flavors allowing them to sparkle and deviate bewteen the complexities. A creaminess is also present and is not something I am used to experiencing within lambic.

O- This is my favorite Cantillon and the best bottle I have had. The funk elements in this bottle are outstanding and more refined than the other Cantillons that I have had. Thus this is the most balanced Cantillon I have ever come across. I love the Merlot grapes, they are fantastic, the tannins really add some awesome elements and really allow this beer to shine and develop into just pure awesomeness. (1,653 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

Really excited to try this on tap tonight at Local Option in Chicago...served in a Cantillon wine glass...

Pours a beautiful strawberry red, light ruby color, slightly hazy with a nice two fingers of delicate bright white head with a hint of pink...absolutely gorgeous beer...!

Wonderfully complex and appealing nose...very typical Cantillon smellls...funky with a bit of brett, leathery and musty...tart and acidic, a bit vinegary with a bit of sweet grape fruity aroma...

Nice and tart as expected. A bit of a drying, bitter grape skin feel, more dry than other Cantillons. Woody and musty, great lactic sourness with that familiar Cantillon funk...

Light bodied and highly carbonated giving it an even airier feel. Crisp and so delicious...way too easy to drink... (771 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

Bottled in 2010 according to the cork.

My first crack at this beauty. The color is a deep rose with a thin, pink tinged head. The aroma is fantastic. That signature Cantillon funk is very present but the aroma of fruit is also very evident. Very vinous in the nose.

I'm trying to find the words to describe the taste of this beer but they escape me. Fantastic? Unbelieveable? Perfection? This beer gives you everything you could want from a traditional fruit lambic. Fruit character, check. Tartness, check. Funk, check. Complexity, check. This beer is amazing. Not quite as sour as most Cantillon offerings. An underlying sweetness from the grapes is evident and balances PERFECTLY with sour/tart/funky notes. Wow.

This beer is perfectly carbonated. Mouthfeel is absolutely spot on for the style and ABV.

Overall, a fantastic beer from Cantillon and maybe the best Lambic I've ever tasted. Absolutely amazing. (918 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

I should have reviewed this back in March when cooljosh and I dropped $50 on the bottle to split with the group. Was it worth it? Damn right! Split six ways into tulip style glassware.

A: Pours a nice hazy, muddy red. Very vibrant in color with hues of red raspberry, bricks, and cherry tomatoes. A spritzy white head forms and recedes to a thin ring. Very impressive.

S: The raspberry funk is unparalleled. Sweet, ripe red raspberries coupled with cobweb, wet hay, red wine, lemon rinds, and hints of oak and vanilla. Sublime.

T: Sour, but not as sour as the kriek. Sour, yet simultaneously sweet, raspberries, dry oak, lemon peel, red wine, and awesomeness. Very balanced and dry.

Overall, one of the best Cantillon's out there. A tad expensive, but good for special occasions. (783 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +8.4%

Inexplicably poured ice cold into a wine glass at Long Bar. Ruby. Slight head which dissipates quickly. Beer is somewhat flat. Mild but rich & complex aroma. Tart. Slight malt flavor. Grape and sour cherry, black cherry, and sweet cherry fruitiness. Aromatic vinegar notes. Higher alcohols? Dry finish. Some grape-skin astringency. Wine-like. This 6% alcohol beer is more satisfying and interesting than beers twice that strong. (428 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +8.7%

So here we are. I made it to review number 1000. It has been an interesting voyage to get to this point, and that number seems huge, especially in a year and a half's time. But alas I have arrived. So the question then became, what do you have for such a big number. Now you can get all crazy looking for the rarest and most sought after beers out there, however to be honest I have had a lot of them, and I decided to go for something, that while not being common, certainly isn't rare, but was something that I had wanted to try for a very long time. Being a fan of the sours, I knew this one would be a doozy, and since it is quite pricey, and not available to me locally, I felt it would make a good choice to go for the big number. A very nice, classic looking Cantillon 750ml bottle, wrapped in black foil with corked. I let this one come up just a touch above the fridge temperature before I opened it up and let it breath. Served in a brand new Terrapin glass( Thanks Ding) I felt ready to go for it.

Appearance - The pour was beautiful. A deep pinkish color, almost rose with a good amount of haze was dropped into the glass. Holding it up to a bright light really just let it shine through, the color was wonderful. A small crown of off white graced the top for just a few moments before setting down and leaving it open and bare. There was some side glass lace initially, but after that faded it was all pretty smooth and clear. The carbonation was apparent as it bubbled up toward the surface ever so gently throughout the session.

Smell - The aroma on this one was almost indescribable. It had that classic farmhouse funk to it, which naturally you expect to see from Cantillon, however there were some subtle differences between this and the others I have had. The sweet smell of grapes was percolating through on here, and as it warmed became easier and easier to pick up in the smell. It was not overpowering as the funk aroma was, but rather, just light enough to let you know there was some depth to it. Tart sour grapes stole the show, with hints of cherries and a wet hay back.

Taste - The flavor was beautiful, really these beers are more like works of art. It started out with a subtle dose of chardonnay like grapes, slightly sweet, but with the acidic touch to them. Beautiful work here, with a deep, resonant funk to it that just lingers on for what seemed like years to be honest. Subtle touches of cherries and grapes dropped in with this, really working the taste buds. As it warmed it just continued to evolve. It is so hard sometimes to try and describe that flavor, and I refuse to use the sweaty and other somewhat derogatory comments to describe it, and funk is a good thing in this case. Enormously try and tart finish just left you begging for another sip with an almost vinegar like finish to it, wow that was really damn good is the final thing running through your head.

Mouthfeel - This had one of the best feels it could have. Just a hair shy of being a medium bodied ale, the carbonation was enough to keep it very lively and the perfect balance of profile, never feeling thin, or watery, but rather just being very tight and crisp. A wonderful addition here for sure.

Drinkability - You really cannot get much better then this. The flavors were so complex, the ABV virtually non existent, lively feel, I mean what more can you ask for. Its not filling, and it keeps you engaged. I really could have had another on of these as soon as I finished the first, it was just that good.

Overall this may be my favorite of the Cantillon beers I have tried so far. It was just a touch shy of the Beatification in terms of being the funkiest, most sour thing I have ever had. I mean this was just delicious. I a, glad I was able to finally acquire a bottle of this as it was more then worth the weight. I have yet to get bored in this style and I wished more people were able to get into it. So complex and so rich, this is definitely the one to seek out. Well deserved of its reputation and something I would always pick up if I saw it! (4,074 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +8.7%

A: Nice ruby huge to a light magenta. It has micro bubbles with wispy lacing. It looks like a majestic wine cooler. If bartels and james won the lottery and went all high brow, this would be the result.

S: Huge tart notes with great strawberry, cherries, sour currants, and bitter grapes. Granny smith apple skins are there as well. This smells incredible.

T: It has a crisp raspberry tartness that mellows into a smooth sweetness like a melted fruit rollup. It has a sour finish to it that imparts an incredibly refreshing dryness. This is the best Cantillon that I have had to date and it is the best Lambic that I have ever had. The vintage helped mellow it incredibly, even if it was only 2 years. The fruits interplay with the tart notes perfectly.

M: It is incredibly light and juicy with minimal coating and chardonnay dryness that just stings and crackles in a fantastic way. The carbonation is like an army of diligent effervesence that makes sure the bitter notes are imparted with incredible efficacy. Again, just amazing balance all around.

D: This makes Consecration look like an imperial stout and Lindeman’s look like candy syrup. It is leagues above all other sours and lambics that I am familiar with. I could drink this in a boat, with a goat, green eggs and ham; etc. You could drink this with any food, at any location and it would be well suited. I feel that this could give white and red wine equal competition with pairings because it is so original and dynamic. I can’t imagine how blaeber could improve on this model but I am anxious to try.

Narrative: Vitus Tanneen had been in some sticky jams before but this time, this time certainly was noteworthy. The walls of the trash compactor closed slowly, pressing the wine refuse closer into the chamber. The aluminum walls reeked of sweet grape skins and sticky notes. If not for the impending death, this would be an almost pleasant situation. “Well Sir Knuckles, looks like we are in a PRESSING SITUATION!” His friendly companion, Sir Knuckles, was an astute howler monkey with no penchant for puns. “WREE EE EE EEEK!” Sir Knuckles gestured imposingly to a hatch covered in sticky grape residue. “Well Sir Knuckles, this is one top that I have no hesitation to pop.” Using a wine opener, Vitus deftly unsealed the hatch and emerged into the bay area sunshine. “NOT TODAY KENDAL JACKSON! NOT TODAY!” He spun and his velvet tails swung after this athletic frame with the poise of a man, a man almost killed by grapes. (2,515 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +8.7%

Reviewed from notes-- still trying to get caught up!

poured into a tulip. Shared by yeahnatenelson. This was an 06 vintage.

A light peachy pink color. Little head of off-white bubbles, nice legs, average spotty lace.

Smells of charred oak, red grape skin, a strange hint of cranberry pomegranate. Smells really fucking sour, and if I may sound like oreo for a second-- smells really fuckin awesome.
The taste hits all the notes I found in the nose-- very light sweetness up front before the red grapes and charred oak and vinous notes take over. This is tasty fo sho. Lots of flavor, and that charred oak note works insanely well as a counterpoint to the intense sourness.

The body is medium/full with a low carbonation level-- it isn't too low though. Just on the low level of being great. The feel has a tongue scrubbing sensation and the finish is extremely sour-- one of the most sour of the night. It pulls my cheeks in.

This beer is just really really good, and that's not just because I'm a cantillon fan-boy.
Overall-- this is impressive. I could sip on this regularly-- if only it didn't cost $40 per bottle out this way! (1,136 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +8.7%

2007 bottle enjoyed on 8/4/12 at Monk's Cafe in Philly. Served in a Cantillon stem.

Pour: Cloudy deel grapefruit (maybe close to ruby) with a finger of pink fizz that dissipates quickly.

Smell: White grapes and pear command the nose, with a light barnyard funk in the background. Funk is not substantial.

Taste: Wow. White wine tartness, green apples, pear. All the fruit provides a fantastic crisp tartness. Barnyard funk is there but again, not strong. Little bit of tart cherry in the back. Tart pear and grape coats the palate.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is fantastic still. Very refreshing and I could drink this all day.

Overall: An amazing treat. Fantastically delicious. I hope to get a bottle of this one day for sure. (729 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +8.7%

750 ml bottle bought from the brewery. Cork said "bottled in 2007"

Poured a slightly hazy purpley red. It's a light plum color with a thin thin ring of white bubbles that doesn't hang around too long.

Aromas is very vinous, full of loads of berries and new oak. Funky, sour, but also some sweetness. Blueberry, raspberry, some cranberry, Acai. Clay earth. Red Wine Vinegar. Really great nose.

Taste is tart. The lambic taste really expresses itself here, where as on the nose it is much more wine like. Pucker inducing at times, but very refreshing...super dry on the finish. Barnyardy and funky.

Super complex and amazing beer. I wish we had brought back a few more bottles of this. (690 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +8.7%

750ml bottle of the 05 vintage into a Weyerbacher tulip. Enormous thanks are due to Matthew for being gracious enough to share this, one of my biggest wants.

A: Milky, muddy magenta. One finger of fine, frothy, light purple foam. Hideous by any normal standards, and I wouldn't have it any other way. This looks epic.

S: Yup, that's a Cantillon, and yup, I love it. Barnyard, mustardseed, lemon, and cobwebs. Underneath the distinctive sour funk likes a subtle but distinct aroma of grape - skin, seed, meat and all. Perfect.

T: So sour, so good Funk, lemon, mustard, and tannic grape. Filthily funky, and absolutely delicious.

M: Medium body, high carbonation. Perfect.

D: Forever and ever.

Notes: This is by far my favorite Cantillon to date, better even than the justifiably vaunted Blåbær. The fruit complements the funk perfectly, providing a fantastic layer of complexity underneath the always-fanstastic (and, at 6 years old, intense) house sourness. I think I'm in love.

On a slightly unrelated note, this beer was made all the more desirable by the fact that my sampling of it coincided with the spectacle of my friend attempting to shotgun a 32oz can of Cold Spring Moonlight. If there had been a can of St Lamvinus as well, I may just have joined him in the endeavor...

Cheers! (1,299 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +8.9%

2009 bottle poured into a dyno glass and split amongst friends at Perennial before the SdB Release.

A - Cloudy off-redish pink color with a sizable white foam head that lingers. The liquid actually started permeating through the cork and was worried when I opened this. But the appearance was menacing.

S - This started with an off-putting nose, but once it warmed up a bit it started to shine. Nose include grape notes, oak, lemon and lactic. These smells did not come out until it warmed.

T - Taste is the best I have had from Cantillon so far. Tart notes that aren't overpowering which allow the merlot grapes shine. Really smooth and full of flavor for being 5 years old.

M - A little creamier and smoother than others maybe because of the age. But this has been hands down the best mouthfeel I've had from a Loon

O - Really glad I have a 2010 to visit soon and would love to try older vintages of this (911 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +8.9%

2011 vintage poured into a Duvel art glass.

A-Pours hazy brilliant red of shade with a tight, thin white head. Head quickly dissipates and doesn’t leave any lacing.

S-Nose is grape, oak, some band aid (this might be because I didn’t wash my glass from the last beer), lemon, and must.

T-The flavor is where Lamnivus shines. It’s balance between the lemon and grape is superb, they complement each other perfectly. In addition, Lamnivus has some nice mineral characters as well as a good amount of must.

M-Light mouthfeel, moderate acidity, prickly carbonation, and a nice enduring finish.

O-One of the best fruit lambics around, I’m hard pressed to name many I would take over this. Really wish bottles weren’t so hard to come by. (750 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +9.3%

A: Clear mostly red and pink with a little orange. Clear, watery edges.

S: Funk. Similar to other Cantillon's I've had, but a little less overpowering with more fruit in the nose.

T: Sour, as expected. Grape is definitely present but not overpowering. Well balanced between the lambic sour and the fruit flavor.

M: Fizzy and thin. Fairly clean taste but the sour pleasantly lingers and fades.

D: I could drink this all night. This may be my new favorite lambic.

Highly recommended to any lambic fan, or a fan of good beer in general. (538 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +9.3%

My god...as if Duck Duck Gooze wasn't enough, I got lucky enough for kbutler1 to purchase and open this one on a whim. Thanks a bunch Kevin, this is an excellent lambic!

750 ml bottle split 3 ways, 2008 version.

Pours a nice ruby amber color, with a nice off-white head with surpringly good retention and light lacing. Fine carbonation.

The nose is sour, just as it should be. Very vinous and acidic. Fruity and tart. Light funky notes, with wet hay and other barnyard aromas light, but present.

Taste is just excellent. Very vinous, sour grapes, very wine like. Tart and acidic, sour and funky. It's the perfect combination of all things lambic. If this isn't the best lambic out there then I want to know where it is.

Mouthfeel is light, acidic and mouthpuckering. Goes down sharp, leaves a tingling on the tougue. Drinkability is fantastic, this went way to fast.

The only reason I've never had this before is the price tag. I now completely understand why it's priced the way it is. This is a fantastic beer and one I will definitely be buying in the future. Thanks Kevin! (1,082 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +9.3%

Enjoyed on tap at the Armsby Abbey's 3 year anniversary event on 8/24.

I knew this was going to be beer #400, so I wanted it to be somethin special.

A - Poured a beautiful pinkish purple/red hue with a one finger fizzy one head that fades slowly to leave a nice halo.

S - Excellent funk and light barnyard with nice sweet fruits (raspberries, grape, cherry). Just delicious, inviting lambic aromas.

T - Funky, fruity, raspberries. Nice sourness, nice tartness, good fruits (raspberry, grapeskin, etc).

M - Dry, crisp, super refreshing and incredibly mouthwatering.

O - Overall this was spectacular. So glad I got to try this on tap, and even more glad that I have a bottle tucked away in my cellar. (705 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +9.3%

This pours a murky dark raspberry with a silky tan head.

I detect tart fruits, red grapes, oak, moss covered wood, damp rotting soil and a subtle manure aroma.

The taste did not quite hold the same complexity found in the nose, but is still quite impressive. A well balanced blend of sour berries, subtle barnyard funk, oak and Burgundy wine.

Body is crisp and acidic with a delicate carbonation and a tart, dry finish. A well blended lambic that would pair well with a fine aged cheese. (493 characters)

Cantillon Saint Lamvinus from Brasserie Cantillon