Microbrew Invitational

Cantillon Saint LamvinusCantillon Saint Lamvinus

Brasserie Cantillon
Belgium | website

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Everyone knows some of our best friends are wine growers from the Libourne region in France, more specifically those who make Saint Emillion and Pomerol. They respect the tradition and let their wine ferment in a natural way.

Fermentation, origin and vintage are still kept up.

Our collaboration resulted in a product uniting the best of their wine and of our beer : the Saint-Lamvinus.

The grapes, of the merlot and cabernet-franc varieties, are soaked in Bordeaux barrels containing two to three years old lambic. The beer is not blended before the bottling. The foam is caused by the addition of a liquor which starts the fermentation.

Added by truthbrew on 03-20-2003

Reviews: 467 | Ratings: 1,940
4.59/5  rDev +3.6%

On tap at Capone's in Norristown. Considering I wrote the descriptions for the tap list last week, I should hope that people won't mind my notes looking similar to the brief descriptions seen in the restaurant. In any case...
Appears a ruby reddish toned pink with a small, bubbly head that quickly fades into nothing. No lacing is left and the spider legs are very faint when tilting the glass and brought back to center.
Smell is of tart, sweet raspberries, barnyard funk, rubber, wildness, light horseblanket, and oak.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with vinuous notes and oaky vanilla pushing through the raspberries and wild funk.
Mouthfeel is tart, medium bodied, vinuous, sweet & tart, dry, slightly acidic but mellow.

4.25/5  rDev -4.1%

I had very very high expectations for this beer. I have become a huge fan of Cantillon, as they have never let me down with any of there sour Lambics or Gueuze. I nearly acquired this before. I had it on my order but due to the huge price I removed it from my list and made room for 6 or seven other beers in it's place. When I changed my mind and decided to pay the price... it was no longer available. Thus, I was very excited to find this beer on-tap at Capone’s. Talking to another friend who had it in the bottle previously he thought the bottle was better than this tap version, true or not my wife and I both enjoyed it. I bought a growler for $45 at Capons Restaurant in Norristown PA. It seemed a better deal than the $30 for a 750ml. I also shared the beer with many of my friends. [In retrospect I should have been a selfish bastard because my wife and I *really* liked the beer, more than many of my friend, but I like to share so ... =)]

Appearance: Pours an attractive red color with a small pink head and little lacing.

Smell: WOW! Acidic Lambic berry tartness and vinegar in the nose. Sour cherries sweet-tart candies, and some dry vinous alcohol.

Taste: This is a dominantly sour beer but it has a small element of sweet sugar like a candy before the tartness takes over. Berry and cherry and sour grapes blend together in a sour flavor that is somewhat vinous, and that has a notable alcohol element undisguised, and the leaves you with the dry lingering aftertaste. The sour flavor carries over into the long linger dry aftertaste and leave you with more sweet-tarts on the cheeks. As a fan of dry wine, my wife found this a familiar sensation.

Mouthfeel: This is so dry and yet, active with sharp sour interplay against cheeks and the light carbonation snap-crackle-pop on the tongue. It is pretty rough across the tongue in a beautiful sour Lambic fashion. And I love the bone dry finish.

Drinkability: As it warms it actually becomes a bit more rough. The acidity becomes even more pronounced and the tartness forcing the pucker becomes more and more intense. If you want to avoid that, Then it is best to drink this shortly after opening, and boy it does go down nicely, but I recommend sharing it, despite the $30-$40 price tag. It is a lot of sour. Personally, I love it, I could handle putting it in my kegorator, if I was interested in spending the $450 for a quarter barrel keg.

4.11/5  rDev -7.2%

I had it on draft at Capone's in Norristown, PA. It poured a strawberry-red color, and while it looked thick, the texture was fine and smooth. The tangy grapefruit flavor prevents it from going down smooth, however. The sourness forces you to hold it in your mouth and that's when other flavors become apparent. I tasted some light berry and grape notes that gave a slight sweetness to balance the sour. The smell is not sweet, as it had a strong, funky barnyard odor. This is not a fruity beer for framboise fans. This one is perfect for Cantillon and geuze fanatics. Let it warm up and the flavor will be very enjoyable.

2.82/5  rDev -36.3%

Sampled on tap during the 72 Hrs. of Belgium at Max's, our only real let down of the mix.

Red winey looking with no head or lacing to speak of. Funky mix of fruit and barnyness on the nose. Flavor of tart raspberries, with an underlying funky sourness.

Sourness was a real detriment to the mouthfeel. It reminded me of late night heartburn after daring a Thai street vendor to "bring the pang!" drunkenly when ordering penang gai.

Overall, ordered this one first since it was the highest listed of the Cantillon. At least I didn't get robbed for a full bottle of this one.

4.55/5  rDev +2.7%

A - Scarlet brew with a bit of haze, small head and no lacing.

S - Very funky, tart fruit, white peaches and lemon. Words cannot capture the sour nature of this beer.

T - Quite sour, tart raspberries, sour grapes - as in the aftertaste of some sweet red wines. Aftertaste is a lingering sour of lemon and those same sour grapes. Amazingly delicious.

M - Smooth, thin and extremely refreshing.

D - Great! I loved the sourness! This one is fantastic, It actually lives up to the hype!

Photo of
4.15/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at 2007 Max's 72 Hours of Belgium

Hazy, ruby red grapefruit juice in appearance. Small, pink tinted, otherwise off white head.

Hard to get aroma in bar, but Belgian funk and sour cherries came through pretty well.

Taste was TART! Cherries and some other fruits. Bit of sweetness hiding in the middle. Floral notes at end.

Light to medium in mouthfeel. Fairly strong carbonation. Very drying.

Second try at the lambic style, and quite drinkable for a hop-head. I enjoyed it, and it was even better with my lunch (mussels). I am going to have to explore this style a bit more.

4.57/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: pours a clear reddish purple color with a short 1/2" head that falls quickly to a surface foam.

Smell: easily detectable sour and tart tones, red grapes, and a hint of barnyard muskiness.

Taste: the initial taste is strong on the sourness, but after the tongue adjusts to the initial shock, the complex flavor profile shines. Sour cherries and wine grapes, tart citrus, barnyard and earthy tones, and some very mellow bitterness. Dryness abounds.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Crisp and dry throughout, and the aftertaste is long on the pleasant sourness.

Drinkability: this is a strong flavored beer that is a slow sipper. At $29 a bottle, drinkability is lower from a financial standpoint, and the flavor profile is unique and is as far from a session beer as you can get. Absolute great beer worth shelling out the money for at least once.

4.62/5  rDev +4.3%

So here it is, review #1000. I had to treat myself to my first Cantillon product. I enjoyed this one with my wife Piera and Amit (who was visiting from Singapore).
Ruby red with garnet highlights and a light haze, the foam was a vibrant pink and quite fluffy. As the head settled to a thick ring, there was a bit of lacing, but nothing that really stuck. Incredible, complex aroma. There was strong barnyard funkiness, the distinct smell of horse, and a little vinegar. Also thrown in were light tobacco notes, some tart fruit, and a vinous character (like a merlot or burgundy). Very tart flavour, like raspberry seeds with a bit of sour cherry thrown into the mix. Puckering. Some earthiness became evident as it warmed, with notes of leather and barnyard increasing. Sweet grapes gave it a bit of red wine quality as well. Crisp carbonation to start, but this faded quickly to a gentler texture mid-sip. Nice body with significant dryness. I really enjoyed this and I'm glad I have some more Cantillon bottles to try out soon. There was a lot of complexity if you looked for it, but on the surface was a wonderful tart beer that was quite drinkable.

4.3/5  rDev -2.9%

I could not believe it when I saw that this was on cask last ngiht at the moan and dove in amherst. I usually can't really handle the sour cantillon beers because of their acidity, but this was too good an oppurtunity to pass up. I poured a beautiful red rasberry color into a glass that resembled one used for champagne. No head on this one really. Smell definitely had that baryard funk found in most Cantillon beers, with some sweet tart smells going on as well. First taste was huge on the sour notes. The second sip however, revealed a circus of fruit lying behind the initial sour notes. I think the fact that it was cask conditioned may have mellowed some of the sourness of it a bit. Mouthfeel was simply awesome....the more you let it swish around the mouth, the more intense flavors you get. One glass was enough for me...I would have liked more, but I didn't want intense heartburn, so I switched to something else. Simply a delightful beer. I'm not sure I would shell out the forty bucks for it, but who knows. Well done Cantillon.

3.98/5  rDev -10.2%

Appearance: Cloudy, vibrant pinkish red, juice like character in it's texture, no head, a little ring around the glass of white bubbles.

Smell: Faint sour, ammonia, leathery and horsey, hay, ozone, but pleasant.

Taste: Pickle juice sourness, horsey in the nose, a puckering bitterness in the finish, very dry, a very sour raspberry.

Mouthfeel: Almost no carbonation, medium to light bodied, watery, clean and dry in the finish.

Drinkability: This is 180 degrees from Lindeman's, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be tasting. Very puckering, very sour, good though. I will have to approach this again.

4.27/5  rDev -3.6%

Still and deep ruby red with not a head and a white ring around the glass.

In your face raspberry tart aromas, with hints of cherry and thick spicy-ness with a yeasty finish.

Tart, with a bone dry finish. Lush raspberry, and dried cherry flavors. Spicey, flowery and full of deliciously drinkable. Great one too change the mood.

4.25/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours light red with a thin pink head.

The smell is fruity - cherry and raspberry - sour/tart aroma.
The taste is fruity - cherry/raspberry - tart with some sour. Very fresh and flavorful. As it warms, sweet grainy malt balances out the fruitiness. Rich and complex. The feeling of a grape skin sticks to tongue, giving it a long, dry finish.

Worth about $30 a bottle? As an occassional treat - it is a good lambic. Serves as a nice apperitif or to pair with a fruity desert.

4.33/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearance: Shimmering vermilion in color, with a faint dusting of foam, as the wrack and detritus of fallen years, and a shattered window of lacing, like ambition ground under the burden of Time.

Aroma: As a wandering through an antiquated stable, and a dalliance with dark cherries at harvest-time.

Taste: Begins with a brief moment of ancient sharp cheese. Dark cherries lie entombed beneath a ghost ocean of lemon juice and vinegar, with spectral emanations of dark grapes. With each taste begins an odyssey of tartness, with its penultimate destination an archipelago of piquant sourness.

Mouth feel: Replete with velvet fullness, with an arid desolation at the terminus.

Drinkability/notes: Quite sublime in its excellence, to experience it is to shuffle, however ineptly, towards greatness. My thanks to my friend and fellow BA HardTarget for his generosity in sharing this superb, rare, and costly fruit Lambic.

4.57/5  rDev +3.2%

Bought this 750 ml at Joe Canals in Lawrenceville, NJ for $29.99.
That's officially the most I've spent at a store for one bottle of beer. I paid more for others but that included shipping.

Pours a nice dark ruby red to purple, almost plum color with a light wispy head.

Smells of hay, horse blanket, earthy, grassy, lot's of different berries, grape fruit and a hint of grape.

Taste is incredibly complex. Tart, sweet and sour all in one. Like sweet tart candies. Strong taste of berries, grapefruit, slightly winey taste.

Mouthfeel is dry, carbonated and very refreshing.

This is the Grand Daddy of all Lambics!

4.7/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured out a transparent red brew producing a relatively thin head of creamy pink bubbles. The nose was musty, oaken, and earthy. Floral, fields of hay and alfalfa. Freshly turned earth. The taste was like tart grape skins, sour cherry, complex, clean oak, fruity, mildly acidic. Mouthfeel was medium with lingering subtle sourness in the finish and aftertaste. Minimal carbonation. Expensive. Worth it? I dunno. But really damn good.

I let this warm to around 45º F and served it in one of my New Belgium glasses.

Appearance: Pours a hazy maroon with orange tints arounf the edges. A foamy, purplish-white, half-inch head tops the beer, before fading to a somewhat persistent ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Undisturbed an acidic tartness is predominant with light medicinal phenols, light hints of grapes and a light funkiness. Upon swirling the characteristic Cantillon earthy/funky/barnyard aroma becomes very dominant.

Taste: Sweet and tart grapes are evident upfront. The fruit is noticeable without being overdone or overpoweringly sweet. A strong acidic tartness appears in the center and mingles with a light residual fruitiness. The finish has a savory funkiness with a hard-to-place mouthwatering quality.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied with prickly carbonation. The finish is very dry.

Drinkability: Delicious, the light fruitiness provides a nice balance to the strong tartness.

Overall: A fantastic fruit lambic, the fruit is present without being overpoweringly sweet. There's also a nice strong tartness and funkiness that I like. This beer is definitely worth my first 5.0.

4.57/5  rDev +3.2%

Capped and corked 750ml green glass bottle, no bottling or best-by date.

Appearance: Pours a murky purple brown color, almost no head, except for a ring of off-white foam around the glass.

Smell: Big sour and fruity nose, very malty, with cranberries, strawberries, raspberries, and a dose of citric.

Taste: Very smooth, yet tart, this has a nice flavor from the grapes. Maltiness dries, acidic, this has much in common with wine. Very good, but I am not sure it is worth the price tag.

Drinkability: This is probably the last time I will ever get to try this beer, it is just to expensive, but also very delicious and drinkable. I can appreciate what Cantillon does, they are very good at the craft of lambics.

07/29/06 Purchased at Plumpjack's in San Francisco, CA.

Presentation- 750ml bottle. Capped and corked. Bottled in 2003. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Murky plum colored pour. Very very slight spritzy head which evaporates almost on contact with the glass. Slight and spotty lace left behind. Seems the norm for a lambic.

Smell- The wet horse blanket and wet hay scent really comes out as it warms to room temp. A bouquet of fresh assorted berries as well.

Taste- Hmmm, taste is pretty good, but I found grapes to be one of the tastes that was hardest to find. Just a touch of grape flavor, but mostly cherry and raspberries. Sour, but not the punishment that most beers from Cantillon carry. Sour enough to make it a very slow sipping beer though.

Mouthfeel- Super dry, very very light carbonation kick. After it warms it's smooth as silk. Sour as predicted and long lasting aftertaste.

Drinkability- Wasn't let down, but I wasn't really blown away either. I was expecting a bit more out of a $32 bottle of beer. Still a pretty good beer, just not willing to dole out that much money again for it. Am a novice at matching beers with cheese, but a cheese expert said that Pierre Robert cheese (brie like) would pair nicely with it. I really didn't see it though. It did pair really well with dried cherries though...wow, did it!

4.52/5  rDev +2%

This beer was tasted in a wine glass from the 750mL capped and corked bottle. 2003 vintage.

This beer pours a rusty maroon with a thin white head and no lacing. The smells gives off the aromas of grapes along with some sourness characteristic of a lambic. The taste was fantastic. It hits you immediately with its sourness but turns into more of a sour grape taste mixed in with some granny smith apples. The mouthfeel was right on. Perfect body with nice carbonataion. Overall got to be one of the best lambics out there. Nice job to Brasserie Cantillon for brewing such an exceptional and unique beer.

4.97/5  rDev +12.2%

The beer was served in a flute. The beer was the 2003 vintage.

Appearance: The beer has a clear red nearing burgundy coloration. The beer has ample carbonation. The beer has no head except a thin white film. The beer gives no lacing.

Smell: The beer has a very good sweet and sour combonation. The beer has plenty of sweet grapes and apple. The beer has a pleasing funky "blue cheese rind" smell. The beer has a earthy grassyness to it.

Taste: Wow! This is a wierd beer. The beer has a commanding sweet and sour assault on my palate. The beer is loaded with fruityness (apples, cherries, grapes). The beer has that oddly pleasing yeasty funkyness. The beer has a bit of a acidic taste. This beer is well done.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a very commanding sweet and sour smell and taste. The beer is light bodied. The beer is oddly refreshing inspite of the acidity. Dam this was a great beer! The beer is a bit expensive $30.00 but what a treat. The beer was very hard to put down. I had to make myself wait during the second pouring of the bottle for it to warm up. The beer went very well with semi sweet dark chocolate.

4.83/5  rDev +9%

2003 poured into a beer flute. Beautiful ruby/burnt orange color, practically no head, thin body, but not watery. Very complex smell and taste. Smells or granny smith apple, tart cherries, musty grapes and a pleasant "funky yeast" smell. Taste as smells with the apple and cherry predominant and slight vanilla taste. Very nice mouthfeel, feels thicker than what one would expect. The taste is initially sweet then becoming sour and then sweet on the backtaste in a very nice way. This is possibly too drinkable. The alcohol is used exceptionally and I wanted more and more. Note: This pair very nicely with dark chocolate.

25.4 oz. bottle into a thin Lindemans pilsner.

slightly hazy raspbery-reddish amber with half an inch of pinkish head. lace sticks in thick clumps and rings.

traditional Cantillon aromas with tart apples, rindy bitterness, and funky cheese. slight hints of juicy sweet concord grapes and even some slight unripe cherry aromas; very reminiscent of their kriek.

taste initially hits with a slight grape sweetness, which is quickly washed away with a nice puckering tartness. powerful if slightly one-noted. light-medium body with a spritzy tight carbonation. underwhelming only due to the price (this is the most expensive beer i've ever had). there's really no off-notes and it comes through as tart, refreshing beer, but i can't see ponying up the cash for another for a long while.

4.3/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured a pleasing clear ruddy red with a more fuscia head that quickly diminished to a thin ring in the glass.

Smell was grape popsicle and soda, without the sweetness. Moderate round, woody balsamic vinegar scent and a touch of vanilla.

Taste was a pleasing grapey acid bite that made my mouth water. The aftertaste is a woodsy-bitter zing that lingers.

Mouthfeel is dry and acidic that made me salivate for another (small) sip.

Pleasing and drinkable, interesting and likeable.

4.33/5  rDev -2.3%

Bottle Inspection: Great label art! Capped and corked.

Aroma: Vinegar, ass (aka funk), hints of grape skin

Appearance: Opaque red glass with a thin collar of off white

Flavor: Mouth imploding sour, but milder than other Cantillons I’ve had. Some cherry rind comes out, but very little grape flavors.

Mouthfeel: Puckering dryness with low carbonation

Overall Impression: Full taste, milder *pow*, but still hard core. I wish I had started with this one and stepped up to the more Funky versions.
Recommended, if only to blow your mind.
Thanks to Stonecrusher for the trade.

4.52/5  rDev +2%

Cork indicates 2003 bottling. A bit of wet ring around the cork at the top tells me that this was oozing at sometime.

Pours as a noisy aggressive fizzy offering. Body of bubbles and fizzy rising alka-seltzer appearance. No head cap to speak of. A ruby red jeweled hue.

Mouth watering sour scents with a touch of funk and wild breezes of metallic notes and copper. Olfactory overdrive of mineral Earthiness.

First swigs: Tart & dry sour sipper. THen the disection of this Cantillion creation can begin. Mostly a kriek aspect despite the grape label. Middle of tart dry white wine aspects. Ephemeral aftertaste of unripe raspberry. Actually, when you eat a tiny grape off of the vine, that is what this exemplifies: tiny green grapes. Loads of Granny Smith apple load up the finish. Clean

Feel is thin and gently carbonated. The pucker is surely present.

Last swigs: Dry Earthy ephemeral unripe white grape. Cantillion brews are so tough to discern. The sour acidic pucker takes my best palate all the time in the world to soak in. Cleanest finish.

Beer is good. Happy sour tart beering.

Cantillon Saint Lamvinus from Brasserie Cantillon