Cantillon Saint Lamvinus - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Saint LamvinusCantillon Saint Lamvinus

Wants: 1,177
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: truthbrew on 03-20-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Saint Lamvinus Alström Bros

4.18/5  rDev -7.7%

2008 bottle thanks to shawnm213.

750ml poured into a Duvel Tulip glass.

A - Pours a dark reddish-purple with a nice white-light purple head. Good retention.

S - Funk, red grapes, wine-like.

T - Tart red grapes, some woody flavor, funky and musty.

D - Smooth, yet tart. Light body, good carbonation.

O - Nice balance between sour and soft.

4.24/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle dated 21 NOV 12.

A - Opaque medium purplish-red colour with one finger of raspberry red head.

S - Sour/vinegar notes with grape and oak.

T - Tart and slightly sour. A very light vinegar-like sourness. A big grape musk flavour is present, as expected and some oak/woody notes add another layer of complexity.

M - Very dry. Medium body. Light to moderate carbonation.

4.35/5  rDev -4%

On-tap at Capone's in Norristown, PA.

Pours a hazy deep ruby color with opaque orange highlights and wisps of tiny white bubbles on top. The bubbles dissipate fairly quickly leaving a glassy top.

Smells of mild red wine vinegar with good amounts of Concord grapes and hints of barnyard funk.

Tastes very good. The flavor profile is comparable to not-quite-ripe Concord grapes, that is the sweetness is underlying but light enough to allow other flavors to shine uninhibited. The vinegar is barely present, instead giving way more to the funkiness that comes in midway through the sip and carries through to a decidedly tart ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a slick thickness with very light carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could very easily have a few more.

Overall I've been wary of the price tag of a bottle of this for a while and I'm glad I finally had the opportunity to try it on-tap. Very well worth the shot.

4.38/5  rDev -3.3%

corked and capped 750ml bottle poured into tulip oct11 2010

A pours pink out of the bottle and it sits in the glass with a deep ruby red glow nice color for sure, head fizzes out pretty quick but from my limited understanding that's on par for the style

S quite funky, I expected much more of a fruity wine smell, it did have a little bit of a fruity wine thing going for it with some vinegar but the barnyard funk is in control and that's fine with me

T still big funk and much more from the grapes, not so much a wine flavor but a sour cherry and purple candy taste that's quite nice. Big earthy flavors to go along with it, a fair bit going on here on top of the heavy funk

M to say this was sour and tart would be an understatement, big carbonation gives it some body and I think I'll be tasting it tomorrow the flavors stick to your mouth pretty well

D not something I'd drink all day but I had no problem drinking the big bottle by myself

this one was bottled a year ago and I'm very curious how the flavors change over time but I doubt I'll find out because this stuff costs big bucks. Great stuff though if you like sour funk

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

Well, I’m finally going to sample this “Lambic” that has been “Numere Uno” on my top five beers to sample for many years, I’m almost hesitant to sample it as I’ve waited so long I’m afraid I’ll be disappointed “Not” I’m sure.

The beer, after the removal of the black foil, crown & cork from the 750ml green bottle it sets in the flute glass a beautiful dark ruby with a bit of purple, the head is minute, the color and off white, “WOW”, I can smell berry tartness from two feet away. Nose is acerbic, with hints of grapes, cherries, musk, also to me the odor of damp and old moss covered oak, a plethora of aromas in this nose. First taste, “WHAM”, a pungent mouth puckering sourness, with just a tiny bit of sweetness, top is light in feel. Finish is dominated by the tartness with a bit of the berries and grapes coming through, vinous, and absolutely the driest aftertaste I’ve ever experienced. My oh my what a brew this is, and I must say it was worth the wait and the $44.00 I paid for it.

Note: As I was enjoying this great beer, I was thinking what would go good with it to make a perfect Sunday Afternoon, so I slapped in a great Jazz CD (Monk's Dream), and opened another precious gift a Cuban Cigar, I was in Beer/Cigar & Music Nirvana!

4.35/5  rDev -4%

750mL bottle, corked and capped, purchased for $29.99 at Grapes of Mirth in Columbus. The beer is hazy, kind of muted pink reddish colored, with an off-white head tinted just a little pink. I guess it's kind of stereotyping but this really smells like a funky barnhouse. I'm not sure I can smell anything grape-like, but I get earthy mustiness and a little vinegar. This lambic is not as sour as I expected but still has a little mouth pucker after each sip. Mostly it's funky and dry, maybe a little fruit but I couldn't nail the exact ingredient without reading the bottle (Bordeaux grapes). Light bodied with low carbonation, addictive and tasty.

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

4.45/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

on tap at monks during the cantillon mad monday - I tried both 06 and 08 vintages

Pours a deep reddish and purple color with some burnt hues, but with brighter cherry tones. There's a small amount of haziness, just enough to keep you from seeing all the way through. A thin white head fades out leaving little lacing.

Plenty of sourness leaps out of the glass into the nose, driven by merlot grapes with ripeness. Some earthy and oak elements, heavy funk and notes of acid. Definitely a red wine presence, although it retains a character I've come to expect from Cantillon.

Biting sourness up front with grape and some cherry-like notes. Red wine character with oaky barrel flavors and some earthy, darker tones. Some funky hints, but more acidic and sour throughout. Finishes with some enamel stripping dryness and lingering tart dark grapes.

Medium bodied, nicely carbonated, dry and prickly on the tongue, lingers for an extended period. A wonderful fruit lambic from Cantillon with great sour character but still enough flavor to carry the aggressiveness.

3.85/5  rDev -15%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

It pours a dark ruby red almost purple, with a very light pink. Not much head or lacing but it is surprisingly clear.

The aroma is very tart and funky and overwhelming from the start. Distinct horse blanket, tough to pick out any particular fruits. Its almost too strong in a negative way.

The taste is very light compared the aroma, the only traditional tart you get from a lambic is at the end and even then its still a light tart. There are notes of blackberries and cranbberries.

There is an ok mouthfeel nothing special and its drinkable for a lambic just becuase of its lack of s strong sourness.

3.1/5  rDev -31.6%

On draught at Belmont Station's Puckerfest, served in a flute glass, Saint Lamvinus is a chill hazed purple with a thin white collar. Very pretty color.

Smell is pretty muted, some sourness with a vinous tang.

Taste is also pretty muted sourness, a bit too heavy on the wine for my taste, slightly rubbery, with an acidic bite.

Mouthfeel is dry and slick, with a medium body.

Drinkablity is wasn't to high for me, with to much wine and not enough funk. Still, I assume this barrel isn't aged beyond the brewery, and will probably grab a bottle at some point to stash for a few years. Maybe not worth the price of admission by the bottle though, it was $7 or 8 for a 10-12 oz pour at Belmont.

4.78/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 21 November 2010 courtesy of mrand01.

Pours a translucent dark crimson with bright ruby red hues. Looks a shade lighter than cranberry juice, with a bit of tawny paleness to it. Small soapy/bubbly off-white head that slowly dissipates laving some light spotty lacing.

Aromas begin with sour grapes and earthy mustiness. Then I get some vinegar, oak and with some acidic citrus and yeasty barnyard funk. Light stone/tropical fruits like peach and pineapple are coming to mind as well.

The tastes begin with plenty of lactic/citric acidity to go along with sweet and sour grapes. The oak and Brett offer up some nice tannins and funk as well. Not overly tart but def reminds me a little of a sour patch kid that has been left out and is getting a little stale and moldy. As it warms all the flavors really start to make themselves known; must, vinegar, earth and funk throughout, yet never overpowering or offensive.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium to low carbonation. Finish is dry and tart but not overly so. Oak and brett flavors linger ever so slightly on the palate.

Overall this is definitely one of the best, if not the best Lambic I have ever had. It hits right in my wheelhouse; funky, sour, tart, fruity, tannic but none are over the top or out of balance. Really one of the best beers I have ever had because the flavor profile is so straight-forward and yet so complex at the same time because each of the subtle flavors makes an appearance as you sample. Def worth trading for/seeking out and laying out a little extra if need be to obtain.

4.1/5  rDev -9.5%

750 ml bottle split and poured into a Delirium tulip. 5% ABV, Bottled 18 November 2008, Instructions on temperature and pouring.

Thanks to bnieman's dad for sharing this expensive beer on his b-day!

A - This beer is majorly carbonated. Evidence comes from a large "pop" exploding on the cork release. A big puffy pink tinted head appears on top of the clear amber-pinkish color. Low retention but it leaves small bits of lace and a hefty ring.

S - St. Lamvinus is bursting with a funky nose of oaky wood and a massively funky barnyard and horse blanked Brett scent. The only thing keeping it from perfection in aroma is a burnt rubber hint that arose from a swirl. A small kiss of red grape is there too but not a prominent factor at all.

T - The flavor is almost overpoweringly tart with strong red grapes with a massively funky oak, horse blanket, and a hint of burned rubber on the finish. Strong acidity and bitterness as well. The funk overtakes all of the other things to the point of destroying any typical "beer" malt/hop flavor.

M - Very light-bodied and extremely tart with a crisp acidic finish and an overpowering funk to it.

D - It's pretty drinkable for how insanely funky it is. At 5%, it's easily drinkable in that regard. You've really gotta like funky Brett beers to enjoy this one.

4.25/5  rDev -6.2%

2010 vintage. This one pours a lighter bodied dark cranberry red in color with a one finger slightly pink head. The nose is dry and musty with a nice amount of funk and acidity. The flavors are dry and tart and it has nice acidity. As a wine drinker, I must say that this has zero characteristics of a Merlot so it's nice to see the difference between the beer and wine. This one is musty as hell. It drinks light with nice acidity but I can't really like the flavor. It doesn't have enough fruit character for my liking. This is the best vintage I've had so far. The '07 smells like puppy farts in my opinion, as in "I just fed my dog too many rawhides" puppy farts. I definitely prefer this vintage to that one.

4.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to Kevin R for bringing this to our tasting - Cantillon is always a treat. Saint Lamvinus pours like a garden of rubies with indigo hints. Good clarity all around, with a pink tinted head that makes no attempt to be quiet as it fizzles and eventually fades into nothing put a lavender collar around the crimson brew.

Cantillon's brewery is crawling with critters and they are some of the best critters in the world. You can pick these critters out of any line-up if you have even a semi-functional nose. Funky barnyard, musky cork, sweaty articles of expensive clothing, and a trifecta of dirt, earth, and must. Often imitated, never duplicated - no one does funk like this.

Vinous are present as well, like this was a well aged Cheval Blanc; dripping-wet oak barrels, sour grapes, wine-like acidity, and hints of vinegar in the back end. Grape, tannin, grape, tannin, sour, sour, funky, funky. The nose on this is simply beautiful; As with most Cantillon, I'm having a hard time getting my nose away from the glass long enough to take a sip.

One sip and Cantillon drops it heavy like Saint Lamvinus was Skrillex and grapes were the bass. Boom! A vinous explosion on the palate; tart, sour grapes, mild and bitter acidity, faint cherry skins, heaps of woody oak, and the funk of one thousand barnyard floors. Horse, cork, hay, sweaty feet, and grapes like you wouldn't believe.

Saint Lamvinus masters the art of making a beer that resembles a wine while keeping it accessible to people (like myself) who actually are not big fans of wine. It's that mouth clenching, ass puckering sourness, that stomach ripping acidity, and that nostril curling funk. Effervescence is big; plenty of carbonation with a fading, ghostly mouth feel and a sharp, dry finish.

Cantillon does it again, and I can't say that I'm surprised. These are the beers you hear about when you first start getting into craft beer. All your buds talk about this "Cantillon" place like it's some kind of holy grail for beer, and eventually months and months go by and you finally get to try one, and all of a sudden you're talking about it like you're some kind of sour expert. This shit is excellent; why does it have to be so far from me?

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%

On tap at Church Key last night. Fucking expensive at $16 for a 10oz glass($13+$1.50 tax+$1.50 tip), but it was worth it.

The pour is great, a pretty reddish pink with a thick white head that recedes to a collar, leaving no lace. The nose is just outstanding. Plenty of vinous character with the red wine grapes being fresh and vibrant. Apart from the vinous character, the grapes also impart a faint cocoa/tobacco character to the nose. The lambic base is equally impressive with a musty aroma, some funk and a pronounced sourness. Funk is quite restrained.
The palate quite vinous with the grapes lending a lot of flavor and depth. The sourness is immediately apparent, with the acidity working really well with the grape. The funk character is rather low, just mildly musty, though I suspect that the fruit is obfuscating just how much funk is present. Drying and mildly tannic on the finish with a clean sourness and lingering vinous character, this is exceptional stuff.

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%

2008 Vintage! Served from bottle into a Green Man snifter. Poured blood red with a one finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained minimal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, tart, very slight grapes, and slight acetic acid. The flavor was of sweet malt, sour, tart, grapes, deep dark fruit, slight acetic acid, and big citrus. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this brew was quite excellent. I had this one sitting in the cellar since 2008 and finally got tired of looking at it and decided to crack it. Really glad that I did. The flavor was not only complex but quite excellent as everything seemed to blend very nicely together. It also had a great aroma that invited me in for more. I found myself drinking this one quite quickly. Good thing is is only 6%... An absolute must try for anyone!

Cantillon Saint Lamvinus from Brasserie Cantillon