Cantillon Saint Lamvinus - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Saint LamvinusCantillon Saint Lamvinus

Wants: 1,174
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: truthbrew on 03-20-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Saint Lamvinus Alström Bros

4.38/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks to claaark for this one. 750ml capped and corked bottle into a Cantillon tulip. 2010 cork date. Shared with schen9303.

Pour yields a 1 finger powdery pink head with moderate retention that dissipates into a thick ring around the glass. Beer is a clear deep, pink-purple. Lacing is non-existant. Above average due to the amazing color.

Nose is tart purple grapes, rotting wood, and a distinct, sharp cheesiness mixed with some cobweb notes. Very aromatic, robust, and fruity overall while remaining simple. Impressive.

Opens cobwebs, plastic, grape tartness mixed with a juicy sweetness. Barrel notes emerge prominently towards the middle with a Brett dryness. Some wet straw at the end where grape characteristics re-emerge. Finish is tart and lemon-y. Aftertaste is grape, lemon, and wood. Complexity really grows and grows as this one warms.

Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth and silky in the mouth and puckering and dry going down. Dry finish with a lingering aftertaste. Perfect for the style and gets smoother and smoother as I sip and sip.

Really a perfect representation of the style and one of the best fruit lambics that Cantillon makes in my opinion. Only rivaled by Lou Pepe Kriek in Cantillon's normal line. Snatch this one up if you can. Amazing fresh and gets more and more graceful as it ages.

4.8/5  rDev +6%

Reviewed from notes-- still trying to get caught up!

poured into a tulip. Shared by yeahnatenelson. This was an 06 vintage.

A light peachy pink color. Little head of off-white bubbles, nice legs, average spotty lace.

Smells of charred oak, red grape skin, a strange hint of cranberry pomegranate. Smells really fucking sour, and if I may sound like oreo for a second-- smells really fuckin awesome.
The taste hits all the notes I found in the nose-- very light sweetness up front before the red grapes and charred oak and vinous notes take over. This is tasty fo sho. Lots of flavor, and that charred oak note works insanely well as a counterpoint to the intense sourness.

The body is medium/full with a low carbonation level-- it isn't too low though. Just on the low level of being great. The feel has a tongue scrubbing sensation and the finish is extremely sour-- one of the most sour of the night. It pulls my cheeks in.

This beer is just really really good, and that's not just because I'm a cantillon fan-boy.
Overall-- this is impressive. I could sip on this regularly-- if only it didn't cost $40 per bottle out this way!

4.2/5  rDev -7.3%

Bottled 18 October 2011

A: Pours a slightly hazy ruby red color with a pinkish/purple hue and a fingers worth of head that fizzles out within seconds

S: Quite funky and sour/tart up front along with a light sweetness from the grapes. Also get quite a bit of oakiness and earthiness

T: Starts off with a big blast of funk and sourness and then goes into the oakiness and woody/earthy flavors. Get some tannins in there as a result. The merlot grapes come through in the background throughout the entirety of tasting, providing a hint of sweetness. Finishes lightly sweet with a lingering funk

M: Medium bodied with moderate-high carbonation. Very acidic

O: Wow. What a brew. This blend is absolutely fantastic, especially with the nearly 2 years on the bottle. I suppose the funkiness has developed a bit (this one really opens up with a blast of funk/sour/tart) and the oak has also shown up more. Quite pricey (I paid $30 for a 750 mL bottle) but well worth the investment. This is a must-try

4.38/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

not sure the vintage, but I would suspect its the most recent (2010).

pour was a dirty ruby red with no head. some of the pours had about an inch of ruby head and some had none. no lacing or retention.

very complex on the nose. heavy red wine and bordeaux, fresh grape, and sufficient amount of still vinegar. light oak.

very similar to the smell. heavy on the red wine characteristics and this is where the bordeaux really shines. lots of varying grape flavor. a fairly mild sourness through out. a very strong oak finish.

very flat and smooth. light puckering sourness and a very dry bone dry finish.

quite delicious. lots of red wine and grape flavor and mild sourness just make this so drinkable. quite different from the aged version of this.

4.28/5  rDev -5.5%

I had very very high expectations for this beer. I have become a huge fan of Cantillon, as they have never let me down with any of there sour Lambics or Gueuze. I nearly acquired this before. I had it on my order but due to the huge price I removed it from my list and made room for 6 or seven other beers in it's place. When I changed my mind and decided to pay the price... it was no longer available. Thus, I was very excited to find this beer on-tap at Capone’s. Talking to another friend who had it in the bottle previously he thought the bottle was better than this tap version, true or not my wife and I both enjoyed it. I bought a growler for $45 at Capons Restaurant in Norristown PA. It seemed a better deal than the $30 for a 750ml. I also shared the beer with many of my friends. [In retrospect I should have been a selfish bastard because my wife and I *really* liked the beer, more than many of my friend, but I like to share so ... =)]

Appearance: Pours an attractive red color with a small pink head and little lacing.

Smell: WOW! Acidic Lambic berry tartness and vinegar in the nose. Sour cherries sweet-tart candies, and some dry vinous alcohol.

Taste: This is a dominantly sour beer but it has a small element of sweet sugar like a candy before the tartness takes over. Berry and cherry and sour grapes blend together in a sour flavor that is somewhat vinous, and that has a notable alcohol element undisguised, and the leaves you with the dry lingering aftertaste. The sour flavor carries over into the long linger dry aftertaste and leave you with more sweet-tarts on the cheeks. As a fan of dry wine, my wife found this a familiar sensation.

Mouthfeel: This is so dry and yet, active with sharp sour interplay against cheeks and the light carbonation snap-crackle-pop on the tongue. It is pretty rough across the tongue in a beautiful sour Lambic fashion. And I love the bone dry finish.

Drinkability: As it warms it actually becomes a bit more rough. The acidity becomes even more pronounced and the tartness forcing the pucker becomes more and more intense. If you want to avoid that, Then it is best to drink this shortly after opening, and boy it does go down nicely, but I recommend sharing it, despite the $30-$40 price tag. It is a lot of sour. Personally, I love it, I could handle putting it in my kegorator, if I was interested in spending the $450 for a quarter barrel keg.

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from a 750 ML bottle at the brewery in Brussels while on tour there 3 days ago by Madame Cantillon, Granddaughter of founder of Cantillon brewery. Purchased it for 8 Euro (about $12 USD). Poured into two snifter like clear glasses with "Cantillon" written on the side. Met fellow named Dan from the U.S. while sampling this beer.

A Rose colored red cloudy body with minimal light colored (light pink and purple hues) head. Very nice look.

S Sweet softened grapes smell, both red and white grapes. Gone is any of the bitter Kriek smells of other Cantillons tested today. The smell is simply divine. I took my time smelling and re smelling this to savor it. It cannot be improved IMO.

T Great explosion of various types of grapes over a minimal Kriek like bitter in the background. This is the closest beer to wine that I have ever tasted. It takes all the goodness of the grapes (their soft, drinkable sweetness) and complements that with a balanced bitterness that keeps it a beer. A work of art.

M Moderate with the grape sweetness and Kriek like background all happening at once. Lamvinus has a nice dry finish as well, again like a wine.

D Very drinkable. My wife and I shared the 750 ML bottle with our new friend Dan but we easily could have shared it between us and drank another one.

Notes: What a treat to have this beer at the brewery!

4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

The beer was served in a flute. The beer was the 2003 vintage.

Appearance: The beer has a clear red nearing burgundy coloration. The beer has ample carbonation. The beer has no head except a thin white film. The beer gives no lacing.

Smell: The beer has a very good sweet and sour combonation. The beer has plenty of sweet grapes and apple. The beer has a pleasing funky "blue cheese rind" smell. The beer has a earthy grassyness to it.

Taste: Wow! This is a wierd beer. The beer has a commanding sweet and sour assault on my palate. The beer is loaded with fruityness (apples, cherries, grapes). The beer has that oddly pleasing yeasty funkyness. The beer has a bit of a acidic taste. This beer is well done.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a very commanding sweet and sour smell and taste. The beer is light bodied. The beer is oddly refreshing inspite of the acidity. Dam this was a great beer! The beer is a bit expensive $30.00 but what a treat. The beer was very hard to put down. I had to make myself wait during the second pouring of the bottle for it to warm up. The beer went very well with semi sweet dark chocolate.

Cantillon Saint Lamvinus from Brasserie Cantillon