Cantillon Saint Lamvinus - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Saint LamvinusCantillon Saint Lamvinus

Wants: 1,163
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: truthbrew on 03-20-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Saint Lamvinus Alström Bros

Vintage Bottled 2002, Sampled November 24, 2003.
It is with some trepidation that I open this bottle. When I peeled off the foil covering the top of the bottle, the cap was badly rusted and there were streaks of crusted beer running down the neck, as well as a small amount of fresh beer leaking from the cap. Since I was not going to get another one of these in the foreseeable future I let it settle down in my dedicated beer cooler.

There is perhaps a hint of a hiss as I pop the cap off the 750ml bottle; hopefully this beer is not too far gone. The cork feels very moist and is obviously fully penetrated from the beer, a slight acetic smell emanates from the cork. Well I go for the cork pull. The cork pops out, and yes, there is some carbonation here. Perhaps it won’t be as bad as I thought.

I pour the beer and low and behold it is very well carbonated. The carbonation produces a couple of inch thick pink to light purple colored head, which, lasts longer than I was expecting. The beer itself is a reddish/ light purple color, quite hazy as well. There is a definite acidic aroma that emanates from my glass. It is sour, though not intensely so.

As I take my first sip I note that there seems to be a large amount of body to this bone dry Lambic. I wonder if the grapes have added some structure, as I was expecting it to be quite thin. The grape character is certainly here, it is under the sourness, there is a bit of tannin here from the grapes. There are some berry notes, which compliment the lemony acidity, it sort of underscores & picks the beer up. As I peel the layers of this beer away I note that the berry–grape like flavor is definitely here.

As this beer warms slightly the wine grapes really start to pick up, especially in the finish. I get an austere vinous slightly tannic ending. The Lambic sourness definitely dominates, but this beer is infinitely better and more complex than the Cantillon Vigneronne. The typical suite of Lambic flavors are here; leathery, musty, and sour. Aromas of cat piss, musty cellar, citrus, vinegar, it is just wonderful to sniff away at. I must get more of this.

A Lambic on its own, when made properly, is incredibly complex. The Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, and the Cabernet Merlot grapes just bring this to a whole other plane of existence. This has got it all, and the grapes did not thin out the body of the Lambic like the Muscat grapes did to the Vigneronne. This beer has convinced me to brew a grape-Lambic, perhaps a syrah.

Well I just finished my first glass of this wonderful beer; luckily I still have a second one yet to savor. In my second glass the sour aroma has receded a bit. The Brett character has become a much more noticeable, accompanied by some enteric notes as well. The aroma is just wonderfully complex; I could just smell this beer forever. So, I take an extended moment to do just that… which leads to some ruminations on my part. How can something that is described in such negative terms (enteric, sweaty – leathery – horse blanket, vinegar, barnyard, etc.) be so wonderfully enticing? Well I don’t know, but I truly love it. The taste is again sour up front, but the body and finish of this beer is where the grape character shines. Don’t get me wrong, don’t read too much into my description, this is by no means a wine, definitely a beer, definitely a Lambic, but the marriage of wine and beer is pure genius in the form of Lambic. The complexity here, I never would have guessed that grapes could add so much to the complexity of a traditional Lambic product. Unlike most fruit Lambics (including many that I really enjoy, even most Cantillon products) the grapes take nothing away from the Lambic character, they only add a whole other dimension that intertwines and picks up the character of this Lambic.

No one else should try this beer; I sincerely believe that it is all meant for me. No one else will be able to appreciate the stunning complexity and subtlety that is this beer. After reading this I am sure that anyone else trying this will be let down, so don’t get it, seriously, I’ve got dibs on the rest.

On a serious note, I really would not recommend anything less than an 8 oz serving of this (and a full 12oz would be adequate, but a 750 would be much better). This beer is just far to complex and needs, nay requires, deep contemplation and time to savor and explore this nectar. Please deeply explore this beer if you get a chance, it is well worth it.

Stunning, contemplative, world class; these are all words that just do not do justice to this beer. Please Jean-Pierre, make this a regular beer in your line-up.

Gueuzedude, Dec 09, 2003

drewone, Jan 08, 2014

07/29/06 Purchased at Plumpjack's in San Francisco, CA.

Presentation- 750ml bottle. Capped and corked. Bottled in 2003. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Murky plum colored pour. Very very slight spritzy head which evaporates almost on contact with the glass. Slight and spotty lace left behind. Seems the norm for a lambic.

Smell- The wet horse blanket and wet hay scent really comes out as it warms to room temp. A bouquet of fresh assorted berries as well.

Taste- Hmmm, taste is pretty good, but I found grapes to be one of the tastes that was hardest to find. Just a touch of grape flavor, but mostly cherry and raspberries. Sour, but not the punishment that most beers from Cantillon carry. Sour enough to make it a very slow sipping beer though.

Mouthfeel- Super dry, very very light carbonation kick. After it warms it's smooth as silk. Sour as predicted and long lasting aftertaste.

Drinkability- Wasn't let down, but I wasn't really blown away either. I was expecting a bit more out of a $32 bottle of beer. Still a pretty good beer, just not willing to dole out that much money again for it. Am a novice at matching beers with cheese, but a cheese expert said that Pierre Robert cheese (brie like) would pair nicely with it. I really didn't see it though. It did pair really well with dried cherries though...wow, did it!

GClarkage, Jul 30, 2006

From a 750 at Provisions,

A: Pours a gorgeous grape red with a soft white head, spotty lace.

S: As opposed to most fruit lambics, the barnyard dominates the nose here. Horse blanket and hay with that Cantillon funk.

T: Pretty, pretty, pretty. Delicious soft notes of grapes, passion fruit, plum and lilac. Very flowery, but maintaining the fruitiness at all times.

M: Medium-bodied overall, moderate acidity. Bright on the palate, very easy drinking.

O: If I had a bottle of this to myself, I could see myself finishing it in 10 minutes, it's just that good. I love good Right Bank Bordeaux, so adding Merlot and Cab Franc grapes to lambic makes sense to me. It certainly worked here.

Halcyondays, Nov 07, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +1.5%

Appearance: pours a clear reddish purple color with a short 1/2" head that falls quickly to a surface foam.

Smell: easily detectable sour and tart tones, red grapes, and a hint of barnyard muskiness.

Taste: the initial taste is strong on the sourness, but after the tongue adjusts to the initial shock, the complex flavor profile shines. Sour cherries and wine grapes, tart citrus, barnyard and earthy tones, and some very mellow bitterness. Dryness abounds.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Crisp and dry throughout, and the aftertaste is long on the pleasant sourness.

Drinkability: this is a strong flavored beer that is a slow sipper. At $29 a bottle, drinkability is lower from a financial standpoint, and the flavor profile is unique and is as far from a session beer as you can get. Absolute great beer worth shelling out the money for at least once.

Gavage, Feb 11, 2007
4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

imperialking, Nov 30, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served on-tap at Monk's on Zwanze day. This is the 2008 version.

A - Pours murky purple/red with a very small film of white head, dissipating down to nothing at all, leaving little to no lace down the glass.

S - Smells of acidic sourness, musty basement funk, merlot grapes; from the skins to the pulp, it is all in there; and some dry oak tannins. Smells like a funky merlot.

T - Starts off with quite a bit of sharp acidic sourness slowly giving way to a mix of juicy merlot grapes and their skins, damp earth, musty barnyard funk, dry oak tannins, and some faint fruity twang at the very end. The finish is a mix of dryness and sourness, lingering for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Sharp, vinous, feel with plenty of pucker that lingers through the finish. This is quite complex, yet very enjoyable.

O - I enjoyed my glass of this one. Sometimes the combination of funk and grapes doesn't always work but it really does here. Yet another winner from Cantillon.

orangesol, Sep 18, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +1.1%

8 oz pour, served in a flute at Teresa's Next Door in Wayne.

Color is a dark, clear rose red with a wispy pink head that fades quickly to thin ring and no lacing. Aroma is dry, oaky blend of red grapes and non-acidic funky sourness. The flavor is surprisingly less fruity than expected, dominated by a subtle dry sour with merlot undetones. Body is very full and smooth with mild carbonation and a long lasting Pickering sourness. I'll need to try a bottle of this to appreciate the intricacies of this better, but so far I'm impressed.

yourefragile, Aug 07, 2010

Trashcat, Nov 20, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

duceswild, Sep 29, 2013
3.93/5  rDev -13.2%

750ml bottle with a bottled on date in '11 which makes this the most "fresh" tasting of St. Lamvinus ive had to date. Poured into a matching Cantillon long stemmed tulip. The brew appears a dark ruby with a stained pinkish color cap. The head fizzes away audibly and leaves faint spotty lacing effect on the glass.

The smell is mildly like vinegar with some sweet accents of grape juice. Quite a wild and funky nose of earthy Brett and lacto cheesiness. Some mild barrel presence is noted across the back.

The taste is acidic with juicy grape flavor. A tannic touch of raw oaked quality mixes in with a bit of harshness complimenting the acidity. Lots of raw, earthy grape flavor is present which transforms gradually into heartburn inducing sourness. The grape touch to this adds a nice complexity and a wine-like appeal.

This brew seemingly strips all te moisture from the mouth. It is excessively drinkable with a medium body and modest to lighter level of carbonation. Throughout the experience, there was little to no alcohol impact. While not my favorite Cantillon offering, this is still good and something I would try again if I could get a very young bottle or something quite old for comparison purposes.

stakem, Mar 28, 2012
4.45/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cask at Teresa's Next Door.

Pours a dark purple/plum color with burgundy/blood red edges when held to a light. Completely opaque with a half finger off-white head that immediately fades leaving no lace behind.

Sweet vinous aroma with a very prominent dark fruit/red wine character. Nice earthy funk with subtle barnyard horsey notes and a prominent earthy oak barrel presence. Bursting with dark fruit, especially grape, as well as some currant and dark cherry.

Full bodied with a tart, mouth puckering sourness that lingers throughout over the sweet vinous and funky barnyard notes into a sweet, slightly dry finish. Bursting with vinous dark fruit, especially the grapes. A perfect marriage of wine and beer. Slight acidity in the finish with a lingering acetic vinegar presence that leaves me drooling for more. This beer is incredibly quaffable considering how funky it is. Perfectly balanced.

corby112, May 22, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +1.1%

On tap at Capone's in Norristown. Considering I wrote the descriptions for the tap list last week, I should hope that people won't mind my notes looking similar to the brief descriptions seen in the restaurant. In any case...
Appears a ruby reddish toned pink with a small, bubbly head that quickly fades into nothing. No lacing is left and the spider legs are very faint when tilting the glass and brought back to center.
Smell is of tart, sweet raspberries, barnyard funk, rubber, wildness, light horseblanket, and oak.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with vinuous notes and oaky vanilla pushing through the raspberries and wild funk.
Mouthfeel is tart, medium bodied, vinuous, sweet & tart, dry, slightly acidic but mellow.

weeare138, Feb 26, 2007
3.73/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served to me blind by laituegonflable.

Pours a deep pink-red colour, tending to very pale at the edges, with a filmy head of white bubbles. Little carbonation present, even though it was served in champagne flutes. Colour is nice for the style, otherwise a little disappointing.

Pretty sour lambic character on the nose - tending almost towards barnyard funk. Little fruit is present, except those that evoke acidity - lemon and green apple. I'm expecting a riproarer on the tongue.

Wow, much more subtle than I would have expected from the nose - certainly not teeth-clenchingly sour, but a marked acidity leavened by touches of tannic grape must, a light bubblegum character, and a crisp, dry finish. It does feel a little thin - it has neither the strong, pungent acidity, nor the sweetness to be truly full-bodied, but it's not a bad drop all up. Mouthfeel is crisp, but the thinness is present here as well.

Still, this is a pretty refreshing sour ale. It just lacks a little something to me - the fact that I can't pick what is in it implies that the fruit characters are what is absent. Not bad.

lacqueredmouse, Oct 20, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -9.5%

Picked up a bottle at Abe's Cold Beer for $25. Honestly, this was a good beer, but not my favorite Cantillon. It poured a grape-juice colored purple-red with a short head. The beer drinks like a very dry red wine and isn't quite as sour as a lambic or gueze, but it still certainly on par with the good fruit lambics. I think the grapes here have overpowered a lot of the funkier elements, making this beer reminds me more of their framboise. I'd say this beer is worth a try if you can afford it.

tempest, Jun 28, 2009
4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

I bought this for my anniversary, but we ended up drinking cocktails instead, so I decided to review this for my 500th review instead. I'd been wanting to try this for a while as I love Cantillon's brews, but it is quite spendy. Looks like cloudy pinot noir or unfiltered pressed cherry juice. Thin, wispy head. The smell is winey with cherries, sour aromas, and some funkiness. Woody bitterness at the end. Taste is somewhat similar- sour, bitter, and complex. Slightly funky bitter finish at the end. The mouthfeel is sharp, tart, and refreshing. Very drinkable, and although this is somewhat sour and funky, I find it less so than many of the other Cantillons. This one is winier and more delicate. All in all, I think I slightly prefer the slightly more robust products from them- though this is mighty fine.

Georgiabeer, Oct 01, 2007
4.48/5  rDev -1.1%

A: Poured a very light purple color with good carbonation leaving a nice cap and some bubbles

S: Big grape character on the nose with funk and old oak/wood spirals

T: A musty but big and rich load of purple grapes with some oak, light vinegar and Earthiness. I believe a little tartness from a white grape was provided for good measure

M: Nice dry, medium body and well carbonated. The sourness really hangs in there as does the grapes.

O: Delicous!

barleywinefiend, Mar 23, 2012
4.47/5  rDev -1.3%

This 750ml brown, corked and capped bottle comes at 5%abv.; bottled on 22/11/2007, BB 12/2009, served cool in a large tulip-shaped wine glass.

A: the colour comes more like a strawberry-flavoured lambic, light purple-ish or dark pinky red, slightly translucent on top of very fine carbonation in action, while the thin, pink-ish white foamy head settles in time to a rim.
S: the pungent sourness of Lambic ale with all the typical trimmings (funky musts and tangy, old grapefruit peels) mingles with an aromatic main body of (merlot) grapes, with a clear gravity of lambic base, while mildly sour strawberry notes and salted citrus peels lag behind closely. A deep sniff reveals the depth of French oaks endowed by long oak-ageing, a hint that had already been given away by the cork's inner side as soon as the bottle was opened, actually; simultaneously, the richer note of fresh grape juice (hinting at fat, juicy grape flesh!) is accommodated in the middle. Overall, a true harmony.
T: supremely, if not brutally, tart/lactic-sour, funky, as well as nobly, intensely savoury (for an beer, that is) upfront, dominated by the lambic base where merlot grapes seem to have melted, with only the sour fruity bits wandering around... but, hang on, as the beer slips through the tongue, the Merlot-elements interact/converse with the remnant bit of air in the mouth almost like a true fine wine, generating a delicate whiff of oaky-wine aroma. Also, the tannic & oaky touch of a typical lambic ale expands from the middle of the tongue towards b/w the teeth, as the aftertaste turns semi-dry and tannic, showing lingering hints of mustiness in the end.
M&D: the texture is quite "stimulating", due to the level of musty tart-iness vis-à-vis the delicate carbonation, while, at 5%abv., this ale seems to taste "heavier" than normal thanks maybe to the tannins brought about by the red grape skins. All in all, this is another very very good novel-lambic invented by this uncompromising brewery, although personally I think the white-grape counterpart ("Vigneronne") has the upper hand for the finesse in aroma and overall. Just finished the whole 750ml bottle in an hour and I still can't have enough of it - really quaffable for a lambic!

wl0307, May 03, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to kbutler1 for sharing this the other night!

2009 vintage into CCB snifter.

Pours a light layer of fizzy pink head. that fades down instantly. Color is a raspberry maroon purple. Very dark and hazed.

Aroma: Sour grapes and oat. Very sour. Horse blanket and funk. Some cherries. Very tart.

Taste: Not very sour at first, but then all of a sudden it hits with sourness. The grapes show, but there seems to be some fruits as well. Nice oak flavors. Tart and mouth puckering. Horse blanket and funk with some leather show as well.

Mouthfeel: Sour and tart. Nice mouth puckering goodness. Medium bodied with a lower amount of carbonation, but not bad for the style. Ends a bit dry.

Overall, a solid beer. Very nice sour from Cantillon. I could drink a lot of this but unfortunately it is too expensive. No vinegar flavors or that medicine flavors that I get out of some lambics here. Very drinkable.

mothman, Apr 30, 2010
4.48/5  rDev -1.1%

Review from notes. Thanks to Shane for sharing this one!

A: Poured a hazy reddish/purple with a small pink-hued head on top that reduced quickly leaving a thin cap on top. Minimal lacing.

S: Lots of dark red stone fruits, some grapes and a little cherry. Very tannic, with some wood and a definite sour/tartness.

T: Fantastic level of sourness/tartness on the flavor profile. There is a bit of funk, but the acidity kind of cuts it. There is plenty more red grape, cherry, and red wine like flavors.

M: Medium bodied with active carbonation, pretty much spot on.

O: Extremely impressed with this lambic. Wasn't sure how I would like it compared to others I have had, but St. Lamvinus is outstanding.

mdaschaf, Jul 23, 2012
4.9/5  rDev +8.2%

Bottle shared by drabmuh. Thanks Matt!

Dec. 2008 vintage.

A: Bright purple color with a slight haze. There is but a wee head that fades quickly, leaving no lacing.

S: A noticeably different aroma than the draft serving. I detected more of Cantillon's distinct, funky barnyard scent in the bottled version. Aromas also consist of berries, grapes, oak.

T: Though the serving type altered some of the characteristics of this beer slightly, this is a world class fruit lambic nonetheless. Fabulous grape flavors, though more subtle than the draft version, wrapped in a sour farm blanket make for a truly delicious beverage. There is a nice tannic presence to the beer, as well. This is extremely well-crafted, with a myriad of flavors coming through. Balanced to perfection, I give this beer my highest recommendation.

M: Nice and tart. Lip smacking, puckering and fabulous.

D: A terrific example of what a fruit lambic can and should be. A another masterpiece from one of the world's finest breweries.

***

On draft at Churchkey in D.C.

A: Radiant purple hue with pink foam head.

S: Less funk and barnyard aromas than other Cantillon beers. Prominent grape scents from a few feet away.

T: Absolutely delicious! Cantillon sour grape juice, with just enough sweetness to create an amazing balance.

M: Lingering pleasant sour aftertaste. Awesome feel.

D: Perhaps the most drinkable of the Cantillon brews. Simply wonderful. It would be easy to drink this all night.

Reviewed on: 03-27-2010

Huhzubendah, Sep 27, 2010

Gonzoillini, Jan 08, 2013
3.45/5  rDev -23.8%

A wine glass served at Capone's.

A: The ale has a a slightly hazy, dull red color that has some brownish notes darkening it a bit. The pour is the last of the keg and the head is gone to a far away place, making this ale look still as water.

S: The aroma is an amalgum of funky barnyard and intense sourness with a bit of grape sweetness.

T: The sourness of the beer is intense, coming across like a slightly sweet vinegar. As the sourness fades away, a dry red grape emerges adding a slight sweetness. Finally, some green grape tartness seals the deal before returning to intense vinegary sourness.

M: The mouthfeel stings, preventing anything big from emerging. Having had a bottle and a tap serving, I am not seeking this beer out as part of my standard rotation.

D: The bitter acidity is too tart to make for a reliable drink.

akorsak, Mar 30, 2007
4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

DoubleJ, Jul 01, 2013
4.35/5  rDev -4%

A bottle split with oglmcdgl, poured into some nice glasses.

With the cork pry, the bottom of the wood had a light purple stain on it. The liquid in the glass looks a dark ruby red with some trace amounts of faint purple. The liquid slides in nice with a light purple inch of foam that stood around for a bit than vanished, no lace, but small bubbles rising up.

Smell is all grape for the first 30 minutes or so. The merlot comes out really nice in this fresh bottle. Trace amounts of leather and some minimal funk at this young stage. I don't get as much 'Foot' as in older vintages, which brings out the grape even more.

Very clean grape taste here with some kinda fresh lambic that brings the merlot out even more. Not so much grape that it becomes sweet, just enough to get the wine flavor blended in with the lambic. Trace amount of leather and more funky taste as time goes on.

Yes, this is a Cantillon, and yes, it is sour, but not really sour, I would say kinda tart. This beer has a body that is in between light and medium with some low cab in the mix. I think 5 years in the bottle may bring up the sour, but will for sure bring out the funk more. Lamvinus is not the mouth puckering sour bomb that you may expect, but a well integrated beer resembling wine. This stuff is kick ass.

BARFLYB, May 01, 2012