Cantillon Saint Lamvinus - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Saint LamvinusCantillon Saint Lamvinus

Wants: 1,070
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: truthbrew on 03-20-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Saint Lamvinus Alström Bros
Agold

Had this beer on tap at Monk's at their Cantillon event today. The beer poured and looked much like a red wine would. It was a deep purple red color with no head to speak of at all. The aroma too, mirrored a red wine, but was less intense and had a bit of a vinegary thing happening along with a bit of mild funk. The red wine thing continues in the flavor. This beer very closely mirrors a lighter much more pleasant and enjoyable (for me anyway) version of a merlot. Very good beer, but not necessarily one that blew me away.

08-09-2011 03:53:14 | More by Agold
jethrodium

4.53/5  rDev 0%

750 ml bottled in 2010 shared by cenzo. Thanks Vince. Pours a bright cherry red with small white head that has decent retention and leaves a bit of lacing on the glass. The aroma is a light brett funkiness, red wine grapes, light tannins with a bit of oak as well as a bit of cherry. The initial taste is quite sour with a little bit of sweetness and the red wine grapes coming through. A bit of oak and cherry are present as well as some lactic acid. The standard Cantillon barnyard funk is present in small amounts as well. The finish is dry with a light tannic astringency. Light to medium body with a really good slick mouthfeel. Low to medium carbonation. Another great Cantillon beer that I would be happy to drink anytime.

07-30-2011 23:42:40 | More by jethrodium
BradLikesBrew

Missouri

4.43/5  rDev -2.2%

Enjoyed at the Flying Saucer.

Bright ruby body, thin white head.

Smells like great wine mixed with brett. Funky red wine, that's all I've got. Like a soured bottle of wine a customer might return at a wine shop.

Grape juice, merlot, sour apple, green apple skin, sour cherry, tart raspberry, bright acidity, and on and on. The balance of rich fruit, wine and acidity is amazing. Not overly sour, but the tartness is there and adds perfect balance.

Lush, but highly carbonated.

One of the most balanced and complex lambics I've had. The merlot grapes really lend something special. I think this would be better with more age (bottle says 21 November 2010). Allowing the brett to do its thing and develop more wild character would take this to a whole new level. I liked the Cuvee de Champion, but this is clearly in another league.

07-29-2011 01:47:32 | More by BradLikesBrew
schwaeh

4.55/5  rDev +0.4%

750ml bottle recieved from Kaydogg, thanks dogg
September 2010 bottling

A: Pours a light red wine, reddish-purple color. The head has a lavender tint that dissapates into a thin ring. Light lacing and active carbonation.
S: The smell on this had me giddy. It smells like a much more complex merlot. Merlot grapes are predominant with some cherry-raspberry-currant mix in the background. Plenty of barrel influence(oak, wild yeast, damp wood,etc).

T: At first this seemed bracingly sour but that wore off quickly. I'm glad my taste buds adjusted so I could appreciate all this had to offer. Ripe grapes and wild yeast dominate the flavor. There is a nice sweet and a hint of cherry. I get some vanilla that goes along with the sweetness that builds as this warms. The acidity is light.

M: This has a medium body and zesty carbonation. Its dry and refreshing at the same time.

O: As expected this beer is very wine-like. This a very complex beer that deserves a lot of time and some room temperature enjoyment.
Best fruit lambic I've had, probably my favorite cantillon to date, but I still have a hard time believe its worth that price; That said I'm not sure I could pass this up if it was sitting on the shelf. This is a real treat, glad I finally got to try it.

07-26-2011 01:04:56 | More by schwaeh
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

3.78/5  rDev -16.6%

2010 750ml bottle, split 3 ways. I took about 14oz of it, though.

A- Nice ruby red in the pour- everyone commented on the vibrant color. Simply glowing in the light. Nice rosy pink head in the snifter, not much in the wine glasses.

S- Sweet jammy grapes. Marmalade and some mild funk.

T- Signature cantillon funk comes on strong but is wiped away from the grapes. Very grape-y. The fruit is nice- tartness is a wonderful contrast to the funk, and there's enough sweetness to really make this mellow all-around. Nothing sharp or too wild about this. The grapes are too sweet as it warms.. too far in to wine territory for me.

M- There's too much grape skin flavor pulling this in the direction of wine. I know that's the idea behind the beer, but I'm not sold on it. Perhaps with time the grapes mellow.

O- Good, heck, pretty damn good maybe great. Too pricey though, and Cantillon has better fruit lambics. I'll be passing on this one in the future.

07-24-2011 06:27:54 | More by ShogoKawada
SubpoenaDeuces

4.78/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Nice ruby huge to a light magenta. It has micro bubbles with wispy lacing. It looks like a majestic wine cooler. If bartels and james won the lottery and went all high brow, this would be the result.

S: Huge tart notes with great strawberry, cherries, sour currants, and bitter grapes. Granny smith apple skins are there as well. This smells incredible.

T: It has a crisp raspberry tartness that mellows into a smooth sweetness like a melted fruit rollup. It has a sour finish to it that imparts an incredibly refreshing dryness. This is the best Cantillon that I have had to date and it is the best Lambic that I have ever had. The vintage helped mellow it incredibly, even if it was only 2 years. The fruits interplay with the tart notes perfectly.

M: It is incredibly light and juicy with minimal coating and chardonnay dryness that just stings and crackles in a fantastic way. The carbonation is like an army of diligent effervesence that makes sure the bitter notes are imparted with incredible efficacy. Again, just amazing balance all around.

D: This makes Consecration look like an imperial stout and Lindeman’s look like candy syrup. It is leagues above all other sours and lambics that I am familiar with. I could drink this in a boat, with a goat, green eggs and ham; etc. You could drink this with any food, at any location and it would be well suited. I feel that this could give white and red wine equal competition with pairings because it is so original and dynamic. I can’t imagine how blaeber could improve on this model but I am anxious to try.

Narrative: Vitus Tanneen had been in some sticky jams before but this time, this time certainly was noteworthy. The walls of the trash compactor closed slowly, pressing the wine refuse closer into the chamber. The aluminum walls reeked of sweet grape skins and sticky notes. If not for the impending death, this would be an almost pleasant situation. “Well Sir Knuckles, looks like we are in a PRESSING SITUATION!” His friendly companion, Sir Knuckles, was an astute howler monkey with no penchant for puns. “WREE EE EE EEEK!” Sir Knuckles gestured imposingly to a hatch covered in sticky grape residue. “Well Sir Knuckles, this is one top that I have no hesitation to pop.” Using a wine opener, Vitus deftly unsealed the hatch and emerged into the bay area sunshine. “NOT TODAY KENDAL JACKSON! NOT TODAY!” He spun and his velvet tails swung after this athletic frame with the poise of a man, a man almost killed by grapes.

07-22-2011 06:04:39 | More by SubpoenaDeuces
Thehuntmaster

South Africa

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

750ml bottle 5,0% Abv.
Served lightly chilled poured into a tulip wine glass.
Bottled 21st November 2010

Sours are quickly becoming my favorite style, really looking forward to this one.
No pop as the cork is removed. I hope this one is ok carbonation wise.

Appearance: Good lord, what a colour! St. Lamvinus pours the most stunning crimson (first pour is clear, subsequent pours result in a yeast haze) with a small light pink head. While the head doesn’t last long, it is expected from the style and with such an amazing colour I just can’t bear to knock any points off.

Smell: Hmmm, I did expect this to be pretty full of grapes but my first sniff tells me that funk might just be dominant. I guess that’s a good thing though, since I LOVE lambic funk. Superb balance between tart fruits and funk. The funkiness dominates overall, with: Musty cellars, old books, cobwebs, cheese (much stronger than in other lambics I have had), hints of sweat, hay and lovely woody notes. Having said that, the fruit is far from forgotten. Red grapes (I couldn't tell the variety though), red wine vinegar and sour cherry skins are present throughout and every now and then I get a blast of over ripe red grapes and just the tiniest hint of raspberry.

Taste: Ah yes, nothing like the mouth-puckering sourness of the first sip of a Cantillon! After 2 sips my mouth is used to the sourness and I can begin to appreciate the amazing complexities in the beer. Sour, fruity, funky - what more could I want?
The flavour is huge and so complex that any description seems to be very inadequate. Guess I’ll just have to try.
Red grapes (I would be closer to guessing merlot in the flavour than the smell), sour cherries, red wine vinegar, oak, dusty, farmyard, sweat, foot-like cheese (sounds dreadful, but works so well), old books, the list goes on.

Mouthfeel: Just lighter than medium bodied with typical lambic (Perfect!!!) carbonation. I am very glad carbonation is not an issue like I first thought; it would have destroyed the beer. The medium-low level of fine, slightly tingly carbonation works beautifully with the sourness.

Overall: Superb, one of the best beers I have had. The only improvement I could suggest and it's only a small one - a little more grape aroma would have been nice. Though maybe a fresher bottle would have delivered. Still a beer I will most certainly buy again!

07-20-2011 21:05:37 | More by Thehuntmaster
DavoleBomb

4.4/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

After getting my throat (and later my ass) torn apart by a '10 Kriek, I've decided to give this a go to see if history repeats itself. 2008 vintage.

3.5 A: Lightly hazed plum color. Just about two fingers of barely pink soda pop head that falls quickly and leaves no lacing.

4.5 S: Already I know I'm in for a much better experience. Tons of vinous grape with blueberry and blackberry just behind and perhaps a touch of cherry to round things out. Lots of musty funkiness with barnyard notes as well. Small oak contribution. Good balance between fruit and acid. Good bit of fruity lactic acid with just a hint of acetic acid. Very nice.

4.5 T: A good bit of sourness in this, but the acetic acid isn't overabundant. Again lots of grape with nearly as much cherry. The berry twins have taken a bit of a backseat in the taste. Plenty of barnyard and musty funk. This is loaded with tangy lactic acid. Complex and well balanced.

4.0 M: Lighter medium body. Good active carbonation. Lightly creamy and smooth.

4.5 D: Good beer. Definitely sour, but not intestine twisting. After the Kriek yesterday I had a few rounds of the quick step, but I don't imagine there will be an encore performance tonight. Solid all around.

07-19-2011 23:10:21 | More by DavoleBomb
zoso1967

3.75/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottled on October 27th 2009, imported to Calgary, purchased by TCgoalie, brought back to Grand Rapids and eventually transported to Traverse City where he, TCHopCraver, BuckyFresh and I all did a group audio review that I have turned into what I have posted here.

Cantillon Saint Lamvinus pours a bright red color that is very unique. Not necessarily a fruity color, though we decided raspberry red was as close as we could describe it. The pinkish head disappears almost as fast as it appears despite the significant amount of carbonation. This does not leave much lace, but it almost has “legs” to it like wine.

The aroma is quite vinous with plenty of character from the grapes coming through. Really the wine aspect of the aroma is second to the ever present sour and funky lambic aromas. Together they create a very enjoyable bouquet though.

Perhaps I am just not as into sour as some, but this beer was damn sour. It is extremely dry with lots of acidic sour and funky basement notes. The wine really plays second fiddle in the flavor and I cannot pick up a ton of the merlot notes. There is a definite citrusy pithy sort of character and also kiwi.

The mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium with a pretty invigorating amount of carbonation. This beer is so dry and acidic that it is an amazing palate cleanser.

Overall I have to say that this beer just had a bit too much sour going on for me. It was pleasant in the aroma, but really dominated the flavor. I wish it had a bit more balance, but then again it is possible that the age had mellowed the grapes and let the sour shine through more. It was definitely quite the experience to drink this beer though, especially in good company.

07-18-2011 12:00:24 | More by zoso1967
CwrwAmByth

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.63/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured into a chimay goblet from a 750ml bottle.

Pours a red wine colour due to merlot grapes, and a lovely pink head forms.

Smells tart, very grape/wine like.

Tastes like a lambic, with the characteristic sourness, yet the addition of the merlot grapes adds a tartness to the flavour, making it positively lip smacking.

Overall a delightful drink, crisp, tart and sour, perfect with a tomato spaghetti dish.

07-15-2011 19:23:43 | More by CwrwAmByth
ktrillionaire

4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

2009 bottle courtesy of the ever-awesome ericfb18. The brew pours a luscious blood-red hue, although it is fully translucent; it is capped with a thin wisp of encircling white froth. The nose is pure Cantillon funk; delicious and complex. Notes of bushy mixed berries, acidity of the acetic persuasion more than lactic, tannic oak, and an overall unbelieveably delectable and well-rounded flavor make this one of the best beers on Earth. The wine and grape is there if you look for it, although I feel like the fruitiness could just as easily be cherry, raspberry, blueberry or a berry melange. The most succinct way to describe the flavor of St. Lamvinus: This is what I thought Blabaer was going to taste like. I am struck by the fullness of the fruit flavor; it is not mere nuance, the taste is big and jammy and unabashed. The feel is full and creamy for a Cantillon (a la Blabaer), and has a wonderfully dry and mouth-watering finsh. Overall, this is about as good as a beer (or any libation, for that matter) can be.

07-15-2011 02:57:56 | More by ktrillionaire
lanbewardin

4.3/5  rDev -5.1%

Bottle looks the same as pictured but says 5% instead of 6% abv.
Bottled Nov. 2010.

Pours dark red, bourgeney-ish, thin head.
Classic cantillon smell, sour, farmhouse funk. Some sour fruits smell, sour cherries.
Taste is very sour, taste the cantillon lambic, again some sour fruits, some red wine aftertaste. Great mouthfeel, good carbonation.

The only downside is that I didn't get the huge grape flavor I was expecting , to me the lambic flavors overpowered the grapes.

Very drinkable and refreshing.

07-11-2011 07:34:45 | More by lanbewardin
Urbancaver

4.15/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a nice reddish pink. A bit of nice white head. Looks very pretty. Smells like damp dog. Funky and sour. A hint of grape. Tastes grape heavy. Very tart and acidic. A bit harsh and abrasive and burns on the throat. But it's a nice flavour profile. Overall highly carbonated but very nice.

07-08-2011 02:34:43 | More by Urbancaver
readbaron

3.35/5  rDev -26%

9 oz tulip served @ Small Bar

A - Pours a beautifut deep blood red with a ring of white bubbles.

S - Lots of the standard lambic sour and funk. Huge leather and oak/wine presence. The oak is a lot stronger with this one than most of the sours/lambics I've tried. Overall, a really complex, subtle and pleasant aroma. However, at the very end there was a really odd finish - almost an olive like aroma.

T - Incredibly smooth for a lambic. Tart, but not puckering. Not as tart as I expected, which almost made this one seem a bit watery. Very complex - lots of wine influence - grape skins. Again, same issue as the nose. The tail end of a lot of sips finished with an overripe avocado/olive taste. Not pleasant. I'm not sure if it was an old/bad keg or what.

M - A bit undercarbed. Medium bodied and coats the mouth very impressively. Similar to wine - vinous. Both crisp and thick. Really impressive.

O - I'm glad I've got a bottle of this set aside as I imagine there was something off with the glass I had (at least I hope that's the case). Can see the potential for this one to be amazing, and am looking forward to trying it again.

06-18-2011 16:02:49 | More by readbaron
Soonami

3.8/5  rDev -16.1%

Thanks Rich (phillybeer7779) for procuring a bottle of St. Lamvinus to share--I appreciate the effort it took to obtain this treat. This is a a very expensive beer, retailing for $30-40 USD, and very hard to justify purchasing without a group of beer geeks that understand what it is and to share it with. I'm glad Rich brought in a bottle to share with our tasting group.

The beer is lightly carbonated with a quickly dissipating head that leaves just a ghostly halo of pink foam. The beer is a dark bloody purple and almost transparent with a rose tint. The beer smells a little funky but not nearly as much as some older aged gueuzes I've had. The grapes are present in the aroma, but that pedio and lacto acidity dominate the nose. The beer is surprisingly mild. I was expecting a tongue curling acidity, but this is just mildly sour with some astringency from the wine grapes and maybe from the oak barrels. The grapes give a little bit of fruity sweetness and contributes to the thinner texture of the beer. I was definitely expecting more lambic and beer character with brighter acidity and livelier carbonation.

I was a little disappointed in this beer, but perhaps it just needed some more aging to bring out the lambic qualities I was looking for.

06-09-2011 04:05:40 | More by Soonami
Brabander

Netherlands

3.75/5  rDev -17.2%

I was visiting Digita7693 last sunday with a collegue of me in Kassel, Germany. We had a great time and after dinner Don cracked open this bottle for us.

I have had (only) one Cantillon before this one and that was a bit of a disappointment. This one however was much better to drink.

Don poured this beer, or should i say, half beer and half wine, in Westvleteren glasses. Nothing much to see after the pouring, no head of course, red to purple fluid.

The taste of grapes is strong in this beer, fruity and light sour.

Thanks for the treat Don!

05-27-2011 14:02:39 | More by Brabander
axeman9182

3.63/5  rDev -19.9%

8oz pour on tap at the Rattle n Hum.

Saint Lamvinus pours a deep burgundy. I could mistake it for red wine, except for the thin layer of raspberry head that crowns the beer. The nose consisty of dark fruits (cherries and plums), acidity, and a bit of barnyard funk. The red wine notes should be the base that everything plays off of, but they are just a bit too far in the background to really carry things though. The funky aspect of the beer comes through a bit more in the flavor. I've heard funk sometimes described as being musty , but this is the first time I've personally tasted it. It tastes like I imagine the air in a long abandoned room would. It's a bit overpowering, blocking out the more tart edge and fruity notes from the wine grapes. It's amazing to contrast the mouthfeel here with the Cuvee des Champions I just had. This one comes across as bit more rich and full, though that may be more a function of a much lower level of carbonation than any increase in the body. The overall effect though is a certain dullness to the beer. Saint Lamvinus smoothed out a bit as it warmed, but it remained a class below my favorite sours/wild ales.

05-26-2011 21:21:15 | More by axeman9182
Neffbeer

4.55/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap at Rattle n Hum
Served in a white wine glass

A: It pours a deep aubergine color with zero clarity. There was a pinkish-white head that left little to no lacing.

S: The nose is full of barnyard funkiness; dirty hay, musty blankets and worn leather.  There is a distinct horsiness that gives way to a deep red wine grape aroma.  The grapes appear hauntingly from the back side saving the beer from rotten diapers.  There are hints of oak from the barrels but it is very subtle.

T: The grapes assert there authority in full force.  As they slowly recede there is a strong dirty funkiness that grabs the palate and holds it hostage (in a good way).  The funk eventually lets go and the beer finishes very tart and bone dry.  The brew is full of lovely vinous qualities.

M: Light bodied with some bubbly carbonation.  It is very champagne like in feel.

O: I found this brew simply phenomenal. It is a style bender that shows a profound depth that wines can only dreams about. Cheers!

05-24-2011 19:28:05 | More by Neffbeer
Blanco

4.6/5  rDev +1.5%

reviewed from notes. On cask at Teresa's Next Door day after sourfest.

Pours a crazy purple color, similar to the label on Welch's grape jelly. Immediately, it makes you question whether it's beer. No head, but visible carbonation bubbles line the bottom of the glass. Smell is quite clean. Hints of wild yeast, but in no way as powerful as most lambics and particularly weak for a Cantillon. The taste is smooth, almost like a perfect blend of wine and lambic. Grape comes through as well as the wild yeast. Sour, but not the typical puckering that comes from the top lambics. Very light bodied. Wonderful lambic particularly if you want something more mellow and smooth. This is one even a none-lambic drinker could get on board with. Tremendous.

05-24-2011 01:40:09 | More by Blanco
metter98

4.4/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: The beer is clear brownish red in color and does not have any signs of visible carbonation.
S: There are strong aromas of sourness in the nose.
T: Sourness dominates the overall taste and continues to persist through the aftertaste, although it isn't quite as strong as the smell. There are notes of grapes and vinegar in the flavors.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate and has a low to moderate amount of carbonation. There is some dryness in the finish.
O: The beer isn’t that difficult to drink because it doesn’t have an “in your face” type of sourness.

05-23-2011 00:49:11 | More by metter98
dragonWhale

4.05/5  rDev -10.6%

On tap at Rattle N Hum.. The sexiest beer I've seen all day, a glorious dark red, low carbonation, a small ring of head. But that doesn't matter. This beer made me shriek for sheer joy upon its sight. Good goddamn it looks amazing. Smells funky, a little grape and berry action. The taste is barnyard, a touch of grape, tannic, woodsy. I was surprised I didn't get more grape out of it, merely hinting, but that's not a terrible thing. I'm just accustomed to grape sours tasting more vinous. This had a bit of that quality but was definitely more lambic than grapebeer. Good stuff.

05-22-2011 05:06:32 | More by dragonWhale
corby112

4.45/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cask at Teresa's Next Door.

Pours a dark purple/plum color with burgundy/blood red edges when held to a light. Completely opaque with a half finger off-white head that immediately fades leaving no lace behind.

Sweet vinous aroma with a very prominent dark fruit/red wine character. Nice earthy funk with subtle barnyard horsey notes and a prominent earthy oak barrel presence. Bursting with dark fruit, especially grape, as well as some currant and dark cherry.

Full bodied with a tart, mouth puckering sourness that lingers throughout over the sweet vinous and funky barnyard notes into a sweet, slightly dry finish. Bursting with vinous dark fruit, especially the grapes. A perfect marriage of wine and beer. Slight acidity in the finish with a lingering acetic vinegar presence that leaves me drooling for more. This beer is incredibly quaffable considering how funky it is. Perfectly balanced.

05-22-2011 02:14:19 | More by corby112
oglmcdgl

4.6/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On hand pump at tnd for sour fest.

A- a small fizzle around the edges upon arrival that diminishes very quickly to a mirror finish. Beautiful glowing magenta in color with surprising clarity.

S- grape flavored fruit roll ups in a good way and a good sour and funk behind. More subtle then some I've had but very clean.

T- red grapes with lots of the must that rolls into a nice funky sour hit. Oak is mellow but lends a nice complexity to the whole. On the sweeter side with the very ripe grapes really stealing the show. There's some lemon juice in the mixed with the tartness.

M- about medium in body and very lightly carbed but its is of the hand pump and there's still a good bit of bite to it. Very tannic and dry, you can feel the grape must on the palate.

O- this is an excellent lambic and on cask its a dream. Glad to have had it this way and can't wait till the next time. Not as sour as some but very complex and at the same time very easy to enjoy even quaffable.

05-21-2011 17:09:10 | More by oglmcdgl
Azurescens

Washington

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750mL corked and capped bottle with bottled on date 18 November 2008, poured into champagne glass at Brouwer's, reviewed on 5/15/11

A: Pours an absolutely beautiful clear rosy color with light pink head that leaves some lacing around glass.

S: Lots of funk with some lactic sourness, hints of grapes and earthy notes.

T: Slightly sweet and sour with lots of barnyardy funk. The grapes are a great addition to what is surely a stellar lambic by itself.

M: Nice slightly acidic tingling with moderate carbonation, finishes dry.

O: Another great lambic from Cantillon, great all around, really drinkable and refreshing. Definitely one of my favorite sours.

05-19-2011 05:16:20 | More by Azurescens
Gosox8787

New Hampshire

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 750 mL bottle split with Sully62601 at the Amesbury Alehouse. Poured into a wine glass. Served chilled from the refrigerator but allowed to warm over about the course of half an hour.

Appearance: Reddish maroon in color. Plenty of carbonation, but pours with a slight effervescence and not much of a head.

Aroma: The funk notes are definitely noticeable and are a bit stronger than I expected. Notes of wood tannins, vinegar and a touch of fruit.

Taste: The Cantillon sourness is a bit muted at first bt really shines through as the beer warms. Big horse blanket and barnyard funk notes play a strong role here too. Some really nice wood tannin and vinegar notes in there as well. Definitely comes close to replicating a nice red wine at times. The lactic sourness really hits nicely after all the oak, vinegar and funk. Nicely balanced and easy to drink.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated and very refreshing. Very light in the mouth.

Overall, another great offering from Cantillon I was thrilled to try. The lighter red wine and oak notes from the grapes and barrels make it a bit more balanced and subtle (but still just as complex) the other offerings by them. Definitely recommended.

05-16-2011 00:31:19 | More by Gosox8787