Cantillon Saint Lamvinus - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Saint LamvinusCantillon Saint Lamvinus

Wants: 1,070
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: truthbrew on 03-20-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Saint Lamvinus Alström Bros
mondegreen

Georgia

750ml bottle poured into a stemmed Cantillon glass. Bottle 27 October 2009. Purchased October 2010 in Athens, GA for $29.99.

Pours a gorgeous red/purple. Looks like a crown jewel sitting in the glass.

A soft funky aroma dances with the red wine grapes and mild oak notes. Nothing is out of place here.

Taste is on point for a Cantillon Lambic. The sour/funky component is present, but less intense than in other Cantillon offerings. The "sour" part of the beer meets a *very* slight sweetness perfectly, with the oak giving subtle yet essential tones to this beer. This is truly a masterpiece.

This beer is well carbonated. Light bodied, yet slick. Bone dry lingering tart finish. I can't find any flaws. Far, far above average.

This beer drinks like the finest wine or champagne. A joy to behold. I am glad I made it part of my New Years Eve 2010 celebration. Pricey? Yes. But do yourself a favor and try this one if you get the chance.

12-31-2010 22:13:35 | More by mondegreen
ritzkiss

Ontario (Canada)

4.05/5  rDev -10.6%

750ml bottle, 2005 vintage, can't remember where this one came from....

Pours a cloudy ruby color with hint of pink and purple, a finger of head on the pour. Nose is a beautiful beautiful horsey funk with a pleasant earthy characteristic to it, light sharpness from the acidity.

This is a fantastic beer as all Cantillons are but I was surprised by the level of acidity, expecting it to be one of the tamer ones. Beautiful bretty funk mingles with particularly heavy wood and earth notes, almost feels like chewing on a barrel. Light grapey sweetness, hint of tannins, and then a really tart acidity that sucks your cheeks in on the first sip. Man, I love me some sourness but this feels like I will pay for it later, hurts the drinkability a bit.

Still, this is a finely crafted lambic - the wine barrels nicely integrated so as to showcase both the barrels and the base beer. Funky and sour, fine bubble carbonation - gladly have this over a champagne for any fine occasion.

11-21-2010 17:52:01 | More by ritzkiss
donkeyrunner

4.18/5  rDev -7.7%

"Take away the wine for restlessness plagues me." - Cradle of Filth

Eggplant tinged ruby red color. Thin rose colored head sputters itself out quickly. Nice color though and not atypically lacking in retention for the style.

Aroma is phenomenal. Musty wine barrel and balsamic vinaigrette complexity. I feel like I can smell the earth where the grapes where grown and sniff each drop off rainfall that kissed the vines.

But I don't. Taste is funky grape sour, with what I can only think of as a taste of...um, antiquity. If I had a better grasp on lambics I'd try to delve deeper. But I don't.

From my rootin' tootin', down home malt and hops beer heart this is more wine than beer. So far my exploratory journey through gueze and lambic land has been interesting. Not sure its for me but I think this particular blend may be the turning point.

11-14-2010 15:22:45 | More by donkeyrunner
CaptinRedBeard

Shared with raceway40. Poured into my Cigar City snifter.

A: Pours a beautiful ruby red color. A half finger of a pink head that dissipates quickly.

S: A strong red wine element from all of the grape elements used in this beer. Also a little bit of a funky barnyard aroma.

T: A bit sour but not excessively so. A very complex beer. the grapes are obviously a strong flavor element here. Nothing overwhelms though. This is extremely well balanced. Some notes of lemon, red wine, funk and berries all interplay together wonderfully.

M: Perfect. Carbonation is spot on. The finish is smooth and dry.

D: Fantastic. This is one of the best beers I've ever had. I now regret not buying every single bottle that sat on the shelf of my local bottle shop. If you ever have a chance to purchase this beer...yes, it's worth it.

11-09-2010 16:54:57 | More by CaptinRedBeard
dasenebler

Maine

4.33/5  rDev -4.4%

Review no. 400. Wow.

750ml, dated October 2009. 5 percent ABV. Purchased in Germany.

Bright, light purple hue with shades of pink. Scant layer of head persists, minimal lacing throughout.

Aroma is tart and funky, though not as pungent as most Cantillon. Grapeskins, minerals and light alcohol.

Flavor is excellent. This is a satisfyingly sour beer without going overboard, as many of the Cantillon brews do, in my humble opinion. There is plenty of ripe fruit with a mellow grape presence. More of a non-descript fruitiness. Dry. Big acidity excites the palate, but does not make me pucker. Bretty flavors are present, blending nicely with the bitterness. Nice and dry finish. The mouthfeel is light, but the carbonation is spot-on spritzy, with fine bubbles.

I'm no Lambic expert, but this is a very well-balanced beer, probably the most drinkable and enjoyable I've had from Cantillon. Quite a treat.

10-14-2010 20:15:01 | More by dasenebler
sweemzander

4.88/5  rDev +7.7%

750mL corked and capped bottle poured into a stemmed glass. October 27, 2009 bottled date.

(A)- Pours a hazy blood red ruby color that produced a great pink effervescent head that dissipated quite quickly to transparent white bubbles.

(S)- A dry, yet has some tart dark grape aromas with a mild creamy woody oak vanilla accent typical of wine barrels. Mild funk too, so very wine-like. Has a very subtle lactic earthiness at the end.

(T)- A wonderfully acidic sour woody oak and grape fruit profile. Very wine-like as the smell, but has that dry, mildly lactic sourness and funk to remind you what it really is. Tasty and complex.

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. A really perfect balance of acidic sourness, and dry woody fruits; nothing overpowers the other. A great character and feel because of this.

(D)- Yet another winner from Cantillon. A great seamless balance and feel to it. A nice acidity too. I would be curious what age will do to this. Quite drinkable for the style. Just everytime I have this it seems to get better and better in my eyes. If only this was easier to get my hands on (and perhaps a bit cheaper) would this be near perfect 5's. Superb both fresh and with some time on it!

10-11-2010 16:11:19 | More by sweemzander
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

4.38/5  rDev -3.3%

corked and capped 750ml bottle poured into tulip oct11 2010

A pours pink out of the bottle and it sits in the glass with a deep ruby red glow nice color for sure, head fizzes out pretty quick but from my limited understanding that's on par for the style

S quite funky, I expected much more of a fruity wine smell, it did have a little bit of a fruity wine thing going for it with some vinegar but the barnyard funk is in control and that's fine with me

T still big funk and much more from the grapes, not so much a wine flavor but a sour cherry and purple candy taste that's quite nice. Big earthy flavors to go along with it, a fair bit going on here on top of the heavy funk

M to say this was sour and tart would be an understatement, big carbonation gives it some body and I think I'll be tasting it tomorrow the flavors stick to your mouth pretty well

D not something I'd drink all day but I had no problem drinking the big bottle by myself

this one was bottled a year ago and I'm very curious how the flavors change over time but I doubt I'll find out because this stuff costs big bucks. Great stuff though if you like sour funk

10-10-2010 20:41:34 | More by wordemupg
jampics2

4.35/5  rDev -4%

A 750ml bottle @ the Beer Engine. Split with my wife to celebrate her birthday!

Saint Lamvinus is a good looking beer. Poured carefully into the provided snifter, it has a rosy hue with some red and pink hints incorporated. The head quickly recedes and is not really seen again. There's no real lace noted as well, but that's to be expected with Cantillon Lambic, especially when fruit is added.

The aromas of funky barnyard brett, acidic lactic sourness and grapes are very expressive and almost overwhelming. The brett is dirty and almost manure-like, the grapes are trying to peek through but are just barely there. Some vinegar and cobweb, basement and moldy cheese are also noted. Excellent and, if it wasn't just a bit overwhelming in the funk department, as close to a perfect authentic Lambic smell as I've encountered.

When I take my first sip, I totally get why this is so highly regarded amongst the Cantillon family of beers. The amazing sour funk is balanced by the flavor and sweetness of the grapes. This really does come off as a mix between a Lambic/Gueze and a sweet red wine. When the heavy sourness settles in and my taste buds become accustomed to the barrage, I get notes of herbs, lemon, mold, soap, barnyard leather, sweat, vinegar, and wood. An experience you need to be prepared for, this is NOT a casual sipping beer but, if you're ready to immerse your self in the Lambic, this is about as good as it gets. Slightly sweet, hugely sour, and funky as all get-out.

The body is medium with fizzy, active carbonation. The finish is sourness that lasts and lasts. It is pretty dry as well, and the dry/sour combo makes me want another sip quickly! But with this intensity, it just can't be considered excellent in terms of drinkability. For the price ($35 a bottle), this is not worth it over some other Cantillon offerings IMO except for the expert quaffer. But it's a very good beer and probably one every sour beer fan should try at one point or another. Save it for a special occasion.

10-10-2010 13:04:17 | More by jampics2
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.9/5  rDev +8.2%

Bottle shared by drabmuh. Thanks Matt!

Dec. 2008 vintage.

A: Bright purple color with a slight haze. There is but a wee head that fades quickly, leaving no lacing.

S: A noticeably different aroma than the draft serving. I detected more of Cantillon's distinct, funky barnyard scent in the bottled version. Aromas also consist of berries, grapes, oak.

T: Though the serving type altered some of the characteristics of this beer slightly, this is a world class fruit lambic nonetheless. Fabulous grape flavors, though more subtle than the draft version, wrapped in a sour farm blanket make for a truly delicious beverage. There is a nice tannic presence to the beer, as well. This is extremely well-crafted, with a myriad of flavors coming through. Balanced to perfection, I give this beer my highest recommendation.

M: Nice and tart. Lip smacking, puckering and fabulous.

D: A terrific example of what a fruit lambic can and should be. A another masterpiece from one of the world's finest breweries.

***

On draft at Churchkey in D.C.

A: Radiant purple hue with pink foam head.

S: Less funk and barnyard aromas than other Cantillon beers. Prominent grape scents from a few feet away.

T: Absolutely delicious! Cantillon sour grape juice, with just enough sweetness to create an amazing balance.

M: Lingering pleasant sour aftertaste. Awesome feel.

D: Perhaps the most drinkable of the Cantillon brews. Simply wonderful. It would be easy to drink this all night.

Reviewed on: 03-27-2010

09-27-2010 21:17:07 | More by Huhzubendah
mdfb79

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%

From 09/25/10 notes. Thanks to Matt (Drabmuh) for sharing this one!

a - Pours a pinkish-ruby red color with two to three inches of fluffy white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of tart raspberries, oak, grapes, light fruity malts.

t - Tastes of grapes, oak, wine, tart fruits, mainly raspberry and dark fruit. Definitely some great sourness to it, but not an insane amount; very enjoyable and drinkable.

m - Light body and low carbonation. At 6% ABV, a very easy drinking lambic/sour.

d - I liked this one a lot. I thought it taste great and was very easy to drink for a sour. The light body and low ABV made this a beer I felt like I could drink a lot of, and I'd love to again sometime.

09-26-2010 21:15:13 | More by mdfb79
treyrab

4.78/5  rDev +5.5%

I should have reviewed this back in March when cooljosh and I dropped $50 on the bottle to split with the group. Was it worth it? Damn right! Split six ways into tulip style glassware.

A: Pours a nice hazy, muddy red. Very vibrant in color with hues of red raspberry, bricks, and cherry tomatoes. A spritzy white head forms and recedes to a thin ring. Very impressive.

S: The raspberry funk is unparalleled. Sweet, ripe red raspberries coupled with cobweb, wet hay, red wine, lemon rinds, and hints of oak and vanilla. Sublime.

T: Sour, but not as sour as the kriek. Sour, yet simultaneously sweet, raspberries, dry oak, lemon peel, red wine, and awesomeness. Very balanced and dry.

Overall, one of the best Cantillon's out there. A tad expensive, but good for special occasions.

09-20-2010 11:34:40 | More by treyrab
alfrantzell

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%

This purple beverage, the 2009 vintage, trickles from the tap at Moeder Lambic Fontainas with a transient head. It exhales an aroma of blueberries, blackberries, black and red grapes, some pepper, and tastes, like draft Vigneronne, predominantly of fruit, with little of the funk or sourness that lurks in the bottled format. The keg imparts a thicker mouthfeel though, and the drinkability is unsurpassed by other grape lambics.

09-19-2010 21:26:15 | More by alfrantzell
billab914

4.3/5  rDev -5.1%

Decided to open something special tonight to celebrate cooking in our remodeled kitchen for the first time. Poured from a 750ml bottle into my lost Abbey stemware. Poured a lighter red and purpleish grape color with a thin fizzy head to it.

The aroma is tart and sour with a modest acidicness to it. Some woody oak flavors are present in it as well. The grapes are relatively faint in the aroma, but do come through a bit.

The taste is tart and relatively sour with a sharp acidicness coming through towards the finish. The grapes come through more in the taste then they did in the aroma and provide a nice complexity to the beer. Very nice and complex flavor overall and everything comes together very nicely.

The mouthfeel is on the lighter side with carbonation being high. Drinkability is good, it had some great flavors and depth to it overall. Was a very good choice to celebrate with the evening. One of the better sours I've had.

09-08-2010 00:32:25 | More by billab914
Reagan1984

4.08/5  rDev -9.9%

Cork indicates bottles in 2.009 and the bottle notes it's 5.0% ABV (vs. 6% listed in the beer's listing.)
Special Thanks to Warriorsoul for recommending this beer when I finally began to appreciate this style.

Wow, really a beautiful beer. Bright Clear purple color with some tiny carbonation bubbles escaping to the surface. A light pink head forms, says hello and then vanishes. You are left with a pink ring of foam around the edge of the glass.

Aroma is delicate but very inviting. Some acidity, earthiness, certainly some vinous qualities and a bit of wood.

Flavor is much more delicate than I would have ever imagined. I find this to be much more refreshing than I had ever imagined. Certainly some grape, some subtle sourness with tons of wine like qualities. Just a touch of funk in the background that adds a nice complexity. Finished quite dry.

Very light, crisp, refreshing and dry. Picked the right day to enjoy this as it's hot and sticky outside. Cuts through that quite nicely.

I really enjoy this beer. I am sure I can think of an occasion to enjoy another bottle.

Well done.

08-29-2010 19:12:31 | More by Reagan1984
Jmoore50

Nevada

4.13/5  rDev -8.8%

2007 vintage. When I popped the cap the cork had a purple wet residue all over it. The cork was wet and soggy and broke apart when opening.

It poured a nice purple-lavender color that was very hazy with sediment floating around. It had an off white head that did not stick around. Nice oily legs.

It was an okay smell, a smell that filled my nostrils with very specific wine grape, sour fruit, and a little wet dog. It has been about three years since this thing was made so I imagine the smells have declined a bit.

It had a great taste, a very strong vinous flavor that paired well with the funky flavor that only Cantillon can capture. Specific grapes were tasted in this, it had a very bold flavor that was very enjoyable. It was less astringent then expected, but still 'juicy' like the 2009 Fou Foune I had a while back. Even with this many years on this bottle it still captures a great fruit flavor.

Very good Cantillon fruit beer, but I think I enjoy Fou Foune a great deal more. I need to try a more recent vintage in order to get the full experience.
J

08-27-2010 05:26:13 | More by Jmoore50
champ103

4.63/5  rDev +2.2%

A huge thanks to Dajtai007 for my most recent taste of this. A very generous shared bottle between me and several other BA's. This is a 2009 bottle.

A: Pours a surprisingly clear, and beautifully bright garnet red color. A slightly white/pink head forms that gently rises to a finger. The foam recedes to a ring, but sticks around throughout.
S: That great funky Belgian yeast is up front and center. Funky barnyard and horse blanket is just awesome. Vinous grapes that is up front. Tart, lactic acid lingers, but it is not dominate.
T: Follows the nose. Tons of funky, horse blanket aromas. Musky, vinous grapes. Just as you think the flavor is gone, sour and acidic flavors come out that are great. Again, the sourness is never over barring. Vinous grape is the dominate flavor, with the sourness hitting much later on. I love it.
M/D: A full body that is perfectly crisp, though creamy at the same time, dry, and refreshing. Very textured. So easy to drink. I can never get enough of this.

A great beer that I have enjoyed several times, and every time is a treat. Because of the vinous character, this is something that could appeal to wine drinkers as well. One of those beers that is more of an experience than anything, and an experience I am glad to have at every opportunity. I can't recommend this enough.

08-15-2010 23:25:46 | More by champ103
cpetrone84

4.68/5  rDev +3.3%

A-pours a transparent deep magenta color with a light pink creamy head.

S-the nose has a great balance to it, notes of dry red grapes blend together with a fair bit of a leathery brett funk, lots of fruit sweetness lies behind with red grape and strawberry with a light acidic note to it.

T-tons of sweet that plays throughout the drink, lots of red grapes and strawberry notes, a fair bit of brett lies in the middle with just a hint of leather to it, the back adds notes of lemon that seems to dry the mouth. the sweetness, as mentioned, holds throughout but is balanced and kept in check nicely.

M-this is smooth and creamy on the palate with spot on carbonation and a great medium to light body to it with a semi drying finish.

D-this beer is delicious and I wish this was constantly around. the balance and flavors works so well together with a glorious sweetness melded with brett perfection and an awesome semi dry finish.

08-15-2010 22:44:21 | More by cpetrone84
FreshHawk

4.4/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Hazy plum with lots of bubbles. Average sized, foamy white head with very slight pink hue. Disappears fast leaving almost no lace.

S - Fair amount of acidic grape with some tart aroma from some ripe cherry. Hints of woody/oak aroma.

T - Vinous grape and cherry is dominate. Good amount of tart and acidic flavors. Some red vinegar type of flavors as well. Very much like a wine with typical lambic tastes as well. Slight oaky and earthy taste. Slightly puckering finish.

M - Medium to light body with lots of carbonation. Spritzy, tingly feel with a puckering and slightly drying finish.

D - Fairly drinkable with a fair amount of sour/tart puckering flavors, but these aren't too strong. Would drink it like a wine.

Notes: Bottled 18 Sep. 2008. Very vinous beer that would make a good substitute for wine. Slightly puckering and sour but it isn't absurd and is still tasty. Definitely a unique tasting beer that is worth a try.

08-10-2010 22:46:00 | More by FreshHawk
sholland119

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

On tap at Teresa's Next Door,8/8/10.

A-Pours a hazy cranberry with a little bit of fizzy pink head.

S-Tart, funky with red wine aromas.

T-Rich red grape notes overlaying a funky barnyard base. Nice lactic sour and mild vinegar as well. A great blend of fruit ans lambic sour, perfectly balanced. About as good as a lambic gets.

M-Light and crisp, good fizzy carbonation.

D-Lambics do not get any more drinkable than this. Just outstanding!

HV

08-08-2010 20:11:35 | More by sholland119
yourefragile

District of Columbia

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%

8 oz pour, served in a flute at Teresa's Next Door in Wayne.

Color is a dark, clear rose red with a wispy pink head that fades quickly to thin ring and no lacing. Aroma is dry, oaky blend of red grapes and non-acidic funky sourness. The flavor is surprisingly less fruity than expected, dominated by a subtle dry sour with merlot undetones. Body is very full and smooth with mild carbonation and a long lasting Pickering sourness. I'll need to try a bottle of this to appreciate the intricacies of this better, but so far I'm impressed.

08-07-2010 18:07:06 | More by yourefragile
dpnelson1978

3.48/5  rDev -23.2%

750ml bottle into snifter.
55°F

$34.99 / ea.

A: Cloudy red body (pickled apples) topped with a small loose pink head that quickly dissipates leaving no lacing and only a ring of bubbles around the glasses circumference.

S: Classic lactic sour aroma with the grape only mildly noticeable in the background. Could have more nuance and depth.

T: About what I would expect from a merlot infused lambic. The grapes linger in the background much like the aroma, withe the lactic sour dominates. Not much depth. Needs *something* that I'm just not getting.

M: Light to medium carbonation and a light body that still retains a presence. Obvious sour sensation on the tongue, but not overpowering and does not linger. Crisp.

D: Needs food to enhance the experience. The beer is crisp, light, and interesting, if not deep. Ultimately not able to stand on its own with regard to session qualities.

O: At $35 a bottle I expected much more from this selection. It is good, and obviously a cut above your typical lambic, but not great. I was disappointed.

08-02-2010 04:09:24 | More by dpnelson1978
haz77

Australia

4.1/5  rDev -9.5%

A - Bottled in 2003, according to the cork. Pours a dark strawberry red with an absolute minimum of head. What head there is dissapates almost instantly to a thin ring, but can be easily refreshed to the thinnest of layers. All as expected.

S - Yep, it's a Cantillon. Aroma fills the room. Funk, slight solvent, cherry and other red fruit, tobacco, leather. There's more there, but everything is so integrated it's hard to distinguish.

T - Delicious mellow sourness greets the palate initially. The flavour of the wine moves forward in the middle along with citrus peel and the aftertaste is still refreshingly tart, but has a slight edge of tobacco. Again, the flavours are all very mellow and well integrated, quite possibly due to it's age.

M - Light to medium mouthfell with perfect soft carbonation. It doesn't need any more spritz, as the sourness takes care of cleaning the palate.

D - Cantillon continues to impress. Not as mouth puckering as their other beers that I've had. It's possible that the age had taken the edges off prominent aromas, flavours and carbonation and mellowed this into a absolute beauty. Incredible easy sipper.

07-18-2010 08:05:45 | More by haz77
ChrisPro

4.2/5  rDev -7.3%

Draft at Local Option.

Pours dark ruby with pale pink head, very little of which lasts more than a millisecond.

Aroma is of cranberry, lemon, grass and oak.

Tastes like sweet grape and cranberry jello followed by a dry aged bitter hop finished. This is incredibly complex and changes significantly with warmth.

Nice and dry finish, but this carbonation is too sharp for me. I'd like it a little smoother.

Overall, one of Cantillon's best. Drinks incredibly easy and I'm glad I finally got to tick this one without buying a $40 bottle.

07-18-2010 00:36:35 | More by ChrisPro
steve8robin

4.08/5  rDev -9.9%

Had this at the Abbey...

A: Had a nice deep purple with hints of red. A small 1 inch white head that wuickly fades. Good.

S: Smells of oaky cherry with a tart sweetness blended in. Hints of port in the middle with some nice dark fruits on the backend. Interesting.

T: So good. A nice cherry tartness that makes your mouth pucker some. Hints of oak, sour patch kid, and dark fruit. Very good.

M: It definitely makes your face pucker. Decent.

D: Once you get through the tartness, it goes down decent.

All in all, this was a decent brew. Very interesting for a sour. It seems with these types of brews, that you need to have a very strong stomach. I'd say this could be a good conversion brew into the sour field if you like grapes or wine.

07-07-2010 03:17:10 | More by steve8robin
portia99

4.45/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Armsby Abbey. Served in a Cantillon logoed " wine glass".

A - pours a somewhat purpley red color...very red wine like in appearance. A small white and pinkish tinged collar.

S - nice bretty funk up front with barnyardy aromas taking the front line and blending in well with the grapey, fruity, winey aromas behind it.

T - Flavor follows the aroma closely. Barnyardy with grape and red wine flavors. Sourness is less intense than other Cantillon offerings, but still very noticeable and a bit puckering. Really good and well integrated flavors. Very good overall.

M - light to medium bodied with ample carbonation. Noticeably sour and a bit puckering, but compared to other cantillons...pretty tame. Funkiest, most distinct barnyardy aromas and flavors I've ever experienced.

D - too expensive to drink a lot of, but I would like to have more of this. Gonna have to grab a bottle or two while they are still out there.

06-16-2010 23:02:37 | More by portia99