Cantillon Saint Lamvinus - Brasserie Cantillon

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: truthbrew on 03-20-2003

Reviews: 459 | Hads: 1,856
4.72/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours out a clear burgandy with two fingers of white suds.
Smell is so strong,you can smell it in the other room.
Strong apple cider with orange and lemon peel. Sweet Tart dryness attacks the nose. With repeated shaking I get a dark cherry aroma.
Taste sour grape skins, orange peel and sour green apple with just a hint of sugary dark cherry candy.
Mouthfeel is excellent. While the carbonation goes away quickly, the fruitiness bombards the tip of the tounge and excites the rest of the mouth with a heavy aftertaste of sour apple/grapes.The oilyness stays with the mouth for quite a while.
I know it's expensive but I could drink this over an over.
My daughter-in-law says it is much better cold.

4.9/5  rDev +10.6%

It's been said that in conceiving Florence's breathtakingly beautiful Santa Maria del Fiore cathedral no one had ever seen a building that looked like the one they wanted to build - its design was a matter of ambition and of idea. Likewise, before the masterful artistry of Cantillon's Jean Van Roy I doubt anyone had ever tasted a beer like the one he wanted to brew.

But I doubt even he could envision what would come of this experiment - using Bordeaux barrels to age Merlot and Cabernet-Franc grapes with 2-3 year-old lambic. Indeed, its result is something of a beer marvel...

375ml bottle found at the Bier Circus in Brussels. Bottled October 25, 2006 and list a "consumer avant fin 12/2009". Beautiful bottle art. How I savoured this...

Saint Lamvinus is graced by a most pristine colour, the beauty of which I can't easily describe. Something of a dark violet or eggplant purple. It has a strong, bright ruby shine and such pristine clarity. My eyes widen as I think to myself in French: "sa brille!" A short, only occasional stream of bubbles float up and contribute to a bold - but minimal - outlining ring of head.

The aroma is enchanting, ambrosial, downright divine. Lightly acidic and plenty full of tartness. The grapes cut sharply through the lambic. The merlot is so fresh and fruity! There is a certain softness imparted from the grape that plays so well with the underlying tartness of the lambic. This is not only incredibly balanced but also incredibly interesting as well as delightful. It easily elevates itself above even the best of malty barleywines, roasty Imperial stouts or fresh and hop filled double IPA's.

The mouthfeel is very sour but very graceful too. If one could only stop themselves from slowly savouring they would also realize it is quite refreshing! Every sip coats the mouth in sour grapes, a sensation which lasts all throughout. It is both soft and tart, dry but juicy, both sour and sweet - no part of the palate goes overlooked. It's also lightly acidic and slightly sugary, causing a real pucker. The blend, however, is perfect - a character of sharp tartness in the lambic and a fruity, luscious bouquet of wine grapes in the taste.

The taste, by the way, is out of this world. The merlot grape I found most predominant. It is very fruity. The grapes tend to impart flavours of other fruits also: grapefruit, passion fruit, lemon/lime, berry, plum and currant. Chalk full of fruity phenols. The flavours linger so gracefully, allowing them to truly be savored with every sip. They have lasting power.

It is incredible what flavours are captured from these grapes. The taste falls somewhere between the tasty "purple" flavoured grape candy/juice for children and the "Chateau OhLala" Grand Cru Vintage of a fine Bordeaux. Even experienced wine connoisseurs might wonder at how such flavour could come from a grape.

For me, I myself marveled at how such beauty could come of a beer. It is more than any hype, rarity or price tag that makes this special. This, to me, is the summer sun. When the cold, dark nights and never ending, harsh months of Canadian winter become relentless I will think of the Saint Lamvinus. I will remember the rare occasion I had of trying this beer, under an (equally rare) pristine blue Bruxelles sky in August. I will remember and smile.

At the conclusion of my notes there is a small part that reads:
"I'm in Love,
I'm in love,
I'm in love"

4.82/5  rDev +8.8%

poured into a snifter and a tulip for a friend.

appearance was pinkish/magenta with a finger white head.

smell was band-aid, grapey and slight funky horseblanket

taste was all of the above, except for much more intense grape skin sourness, waves of sourness cascaded into my tounge and into muscles in the back of my jaws. mostly sour grapes, and raspberry, and a wonderful medicinal nursing home funkiness. the best lambic i've had, and one of my favorites.

4.6/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I have been waiting to try this beer for longer than any other and I finally got my hands on it! I purchased it for 40 bucks at Downtown Wines in Somerville Massachussetts.

The painting of a branch of grapes on the label is both minimalist and surreal, very cool. There was some leakage through the cork when I popped the cap, you'd think this is a bad thing but Ive seen it before in Cantillons and the beer always tastes fine.

The pour reveals a enigmatic reddish pinkish color with a lightly pink head. The head quickly becomes a miniscule ring that emits very little lace. Streams of tiny carbonation bubbles are visible in abundance. Lambic smells burst out of the bottle with this one. Some musty damp barnyard mingles with cider and some tannins. the taste follows suit with plenty of earthy brett flavors, some cidery and sharp flavors and loads of puckering sourness. A spectacular balance comes from the expanse of fruit flavors in tow. Very ripe grape flesh, bitter grape skin and assorted berries and citrus in the background. It reminds me of a good full bodied red wine. The finish is long and complex with biting acidity melded with fruit sweetness. The mouthfeel is very lightly carbonated and somewhat viscous, something Ive noticed in many lambics.

4.4/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Todd the beer guy at McKean and Charles in Waldoboro got this beer and then cellared it for me until I managed to get up there for it. Just a quick plug to try his establishment. I was saving this beer for a special occasion. Nothing special was on the horizon, so I broke down and drank it after holding it for a month. A 750ml bottle, with the label stating it was bottled 25Oct2006. Poured into a tulip glass, it was an amazing ruby red color with a touch of orange. A small head quickly dissipated, leaving a very still beer. It had a fruity aroma which seemed mostly cherry, and was also on the musty side (I mean that in a good way). Pleasant fruity taste, but what really was really striking was the degree of tartness. I've had other lambics from Cantillon that were nowhere near this tart. A wonderful, smooth beer. Great to drink, although I couldn't do a steady diet of lambics. Share this with your wife or significant other.

4.42/5  rDev -0.2%

Glowing coral red with a considerable orangish tint; one of the most unique colors that I've ever seen in the world of beer. The rose petal pink cap is a stiff collection of brittle bubbles that looks good immediately after the pour, but doesn't look good on the way down, doesn't last and doesn't leave any lace. I've taken style into account when granting the appearance score.

My lambic experience is still limited. Having said that, it's hard to believe there are many lambics this vinous. That's understandable given the addition of red grapes. One source gave the breakdown as 40% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Merlot and 20% Cabernet Franc. Also prominent are red wine vinegar, oak and musty-earthy funk. My salivary glands are already beginning to squirt.

Cantillon Saint Lamvinus tastes like the perfect marriage of beer and wine. Even though lambics are anything but typical beer, the comparison still holds. It's much more lambic than wine (obviously) since grapes are only used for flavor and sweetness, not character. In other words, there's no red wine in the world that's this acidic, puckery, funky and dry.

I find full-bore versions of this style to be a little too aggressive to suit me. The addition of raspberries (Rose De Gambrinus) or grapes (in this case) tends to contribute just enough underlying sweetness to take the edge off the sharp, biting acidity and the saliva-sucking dryness. Any number of foods would match up perfectly with this beauty.

Since I have so little experience with the style, I'll have to trust my instincts when it comes to the mouthfeel. It's light, with a sneaky suppleness on the finish of the finish. I also enjoy the brisk, fine-bubbled carbonation that gives the beer a festive mouth presence.

Cantillon Saint Lamvinus is a unique beer from one of the world's most unique brewers. I'm not sure I have the chops to completely break it down and appreciate where it fits into the pantheon of great lambics, but I sure do love the inspired attempt at beer-wine fusion. This is a beer that is meant to be consumed with gusto and a beer that deserves to be celebrated.

4.26/5  rDev -3.8%

This was the second lambic beer I have tried, although I had a hard time deciding if this was a wine or a beer. It looked beautiful; it had the color of wine (a rich burgundy red) as well as the head from a beer. The taste was nothing but strange. It was dry-ish like a wine, but it was well balanced and had beer attributes. My palate was very confused the whole time as it was trying to decide if it was drinking merlot or beer. I enjoyed the drink overall, and I had no trouble drinking it since I like the dryness of wine. A very balanced beverage.

4.6/5  rDev +3.8%

I had previously tried this beer in bottle a year or so ago. Now on tap. The beer was served with no head to speak of but with a vibrant red hazy body. The nose was very Cantillon as expected. Nice and earthy with a real vinous quality to it. As if the nose was not enough, the taste gives you even more. There is a sweet but yet very sour, barny punch to this beer. It all works out very well if you are a fan of lambics and very sour ones for that matter. Just really really tastey and pleasing to the taste buds.

3.45/5  rDev -22.1%

Got this one on the recommendation of the bartender, Elliot, at Monk's, which I respect a lot. Pours an amazing deep pink-red, with a very mild head on top. Nose is quite sour, a little sweet fruit too. Taste is similar; this beer is incredibly sour, a hint of sweet raspberry deliciousness as well, but overall a quite not-sweet beer. Interesting, and respectable for what they've created, but not one I'd go out of my way for. Feel is full and tasty. Overall, a beer that one should try at least once, just because it's so out-there, but not one I'd enjoy more than every once in a long while.

3.2/5  rDev -27.8%

Writing down the side of the cork indicates that it was bottled in 2005.

Pours a clear deep ruby color with little head.

Doesn't smell like vinegar, but you can tell this ones going to be tart. Fruit of the vine and cherry

The mouth feel is light, tart, and crisp, with a bit of tartness that lingers towards the front of the tongue.

The flavor is a mouth full of SweetTarts.

Drinkability...not doing it for me, but it's the best sour beer that i've tried.

4.85/5  rDev +9.5%

First things first, a beef with the presentation: a beer of this caliber should have a bottling date. From the bottle, purchased at the Map Room for $40, there was absolutely no indication as to whether this was a 2001, 2002, or 2003 vintage. It didn’t reduce my enjoyment of the beer but I would have liked to have known for future reference.

As for the beer itself…Cantillon’s St. Lamvinus is perfect.

Appearance: Pours into a white wine glass with a strong effervescent surge that leaves a ¼ inch, lovely pink head. The head dies off quickly but the body doesn’t disappoint. St. Lamvinus presents a deep, sexy purpled pink body. Color is not dissimilar to New Glarus’s Raspberry tart. St. Lamvinus is much deeper, however, and not particularly cloudy.

Aroma: Barnyard funk and vinegar balance flawlessly by sweet grape juice. Light amounts of cobwebs and dirt, oak tannins, and wet leather are found too but at the end of the day one has more of an impression of absolute cohesiveness then individualy unique attributes. I carry away a sense that is now possible, against the odds, for a beer to offer much, indeed most, of the character of a rabid geuze without offending. Likewise, I now see the possibilities of using grapes as a primary component of beer without creating a concoction that is either cloyingly sweet or overly wine like.

Taste: All of the attributes of a fine Bordeaux blended without defect with the entire range of excellent properties of the best lambics.

Mouthfeel: Spritzy and medium bodied. Astringent front, balanced center, lightly dry finish. Defining of balance.

Drinkability: Undoubtedly one of the most drinkable beers I have consumed to date.

Was it worth it? Yes and no…To try once, it was absolutely worth it. To drink regularly, I would have to say it would not be. For my dollar, I would take Oude Beersel or Hansen’s kriek geuzes on a regular basis over this. Still, I have to admit that a beer so well crafted is most certainly deserving of its high price. God bless Cantillon for this.

4.41/5  rDev -0.5%

The beer poured a cloudy raspberry with only a little white lace. There was not much aroma, but it was of fruit. The taste was tart fruits. The feel was amazingly light dry with a great tart finish. Quite a wonderful beer, it really let the gueze come through and left the fruit to accent the beer. Definately a beer I will buy in the future when available.

Bright ruby color with almost no head.

Sour cherries in the nose, coupled with bitter alcohol, plum, vinous fruit and berries.

Tart and spicey.. cinnamon, clove, sugar and berries intermingle to make this an interesting brew.

Medium body.. puckering.... perfect.

Too tart to be extremely drinkable. A sipper to be sure. Still... delicious.

3.47/5  rDev -21.7%

A wine glass served at Capone's.

A: The ale has a a slightly hazy, dull red color that has some brownish notes darkening it a bit. The pour is the last of the keg and the head is gone to a far away place, making this ale look still as water.

S: The aroma is an amalgum of funky barnyard and intense sourness with a bit of grape sweetness.

T: The sourness of the beer is intense, coming across like a slightly sweet vinegar. As the sourness fades away, a dry red grape emerges adding a slight sweetness. Finally, some green grape tartness seals the deal before returning to intense vinegary sourness.

M: The mouthfeel stings, preventing anything big from emerging. Having had a bottle and a tap serving, I am not seeking this beer out as part of my standard rotation.

D: The bitter acidity is too tart to make for a reliable drink.

Sampled at Capone's in Norristown, PA on 2-21-07. This review is from notes taken that night.

APPEARANCE: An incredibly cool Ruby red-purple color. Very very cool. The thinnest collar rings the small wine goblet it came in.

SMELL: Very strong aromas of red wine and barnyard funk with a hard hitting vinegar tartness.

TASTE: Extremely tart (which is a good thing!) Flavors of grapes, wine, cranberries explode in your mouth. The finish is, well, non-existant. The flavor just doesn't end. Even 5 minutes later, the strength of my most recent sip is still almost as intense as the moment it hit my tongue. Absolutely amazing!

MOUTHFEEL: Despite the lack of any head, the carbonation is great. The very fine bubbled carbonation is perfect for this beer.

DRINKABILITY: Given the price and the variety of the taplist, I really only planned to have one before moving on to other beers. But I cannot turn another one down. I MUST have more of this beer. It is simply stunning.

I am very hesitant to give anything a perfect 5. I certainly have not done it yet. But from the very first sips, I knew that anything less would not suffice. So, well done Cantillon! Saint Lamvinus gets my very first 5.0!

4.15/5  rDev -6.3%

Served in a tulip glass at Map Room 3/3/07.

A: Hazy, dark cranberry juice red. Tiny, bubbly, pink head that recedes to a faint skim and unbreakable ring.

S: Pleasant aromas of tart fruit and red wine.

T: Tart and bitter fruit, with a healthy helping of red wine flavors. Lurking in the background is a smooth malt backbone that acts to balance out the pucker inducing tartness and holds it all together.

M: Effervescent, tart, thin, and bitter. How lambics should feel.

D: Allow this to come up to temp and just have a grand old time sipping on this. Awesome!

4.62/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Delivered to the bar in a short wine glass, the flat ruby body was mainly clear. Beautiful color! Just a thin collar of white was seen at the first moment, but there was no foam beyond that. An underlying carbonation was present though, and it gently tingled on the tongue.

The aroma offered a brash nose of sweat and manure, a vivid, vinegar and vinous sour-tartness, some deeper earthiness and mineral character, and some sharp, hard, "foot-like" cheese.

The flavor was intensely tart, with all of the barnyard and sweat character of the aroma, but less intensity. The mustiness and barnyard was wrapped within a fuller, non-descript fruit tartness... suggestions of grape and cherry, perhaps from the wine barrel. Metallic and mineralish within. Initially puckering, it finishes just as dry, but short-lingering. Utterly intense!

4.59/5  rDev +3.6%

On tap at Capone's in Norristown. Considering I wrote the descriptions for the tap list last week, I should hope that people won't mind my notes looking similar to the brief descriptions seen in the restaurant. In any case...
Appears a ruby reddish toned pink with a small, bubbly head that quickly fades into nothing. No lacing is left and the spider legs are very faint when tilting the glass and brought back to center.
Smell is of tart, sweet raspberries, barnyard funk, rubber, wildness, light horseblanket, and oak.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with vinuous notes and oaky vanilla pushing through the raspberries and wild funk.
Mouthfeel is tart, medium bodied, vinuous, sweet & tart, dry, slightly acidic but mellow.

4.25/5  rDev -4.1%

I had very very high expectations for this beer. I have become a huge fan of Cantillon, as they have never let me down with any of there sour Lambics or Gueuze. I nearly acquired this before. I had it on my order but due to the huge price I removed it from my list and made room for 6 or seven other beers in it's place. When I changed my mind and decided to pay the price... it was no longer available. Thus, I was very excited to find this beer on-tap at Capone’s. Talking to another friend who had it in the bottle previously he thought the bottle was better than this tap version, true or not my wife and I both enjoyed it. I bought a growler for $45 at Capons Restaurant in Norristown PA. It seemed a better deal than the $30 for a 750ml. I also shared the beer with many of my friends. [In retrospect I should have been a selfish bastard because my wife and I *really* liked the beer, more than many of my friend, but I like to share so ... =)]

Appearance: Pours an attractive red color with a small pink head and little lacing.

Smell: WOW! Acidic Lambic berry tartness and vinegar in the nose. Sour cherries sweet-tart candies, and some dry vinous alcohol.

Taste: This is a dominantly sour beer but it has a small element of sweet sugar like a candy before the tartness takes over. Berry and cherry and sour grapes blend together in a sour flavor that is somewhat vinous, and that has a notable alcohol element undisguised, and the leaves you with the dry lingering aftertaste. The sour flavor carries over into the long linger dry aftertaste and leave you with more sweet-tarts on the cheeks. As a fan of dry wine, my wife found this a familiar sensation.

Mouthfeel: This is so dry and yet, active with sharp sour interplay against cheeks and the light carbonation snap-crackle-pop on the tongue. It is pretty rough across the tongue in a beautiful sour Lambic fashion. And I love the bone dry finish.

Drinkability: As it warms it actually becomes a bit more rough. The acidity becomes even more pronounced and the tartness forcing the pucker becomes more and more intense. If you want to avoid that, Then it is best to drink this shortly after opening, and boy it does go down nicely, but I recommend sharing it, despite the $30-$40 price tag. It is a lot of sour. Personally, I love it, I could handle putting it in my kegorator, if I was interested in spending the $450 for a quarter barrel keg.

4.11/5  rDev -7.2%

I had it on draft at Capone's in Norristown, PA. It poured a strawberry-red color, and while it looked thick, the texture was fine and smooth. The tangy grapefruit flavor prevents it from going down smooth, however. The sourness forces you to hold it in your mouth and that's when other flavors become apparent. I tasted some light berry and grape notes that gave a slight sweetness to balance the sour. The smell is not sweet, as it had a strong, funky barnyard odor. This is not a fruity beer for framboise fans. This one is perfect for Cantillon and geuze fanatics. Let it warm up and the flavor will be very enjoyable.

2.82/5  rDev -36.3%

Sampled on tap during the 72 Hrs. of Belgium at Max's, our only real let down of the mix.

Red winey looking with no head or lacing to speak of. Funky mix of fruit and barnyness on the nose. Flavor of tart raspberries, with an underlying funky sourness.

Sourness was a real detriment to the mouthfeel. It reminded me of late night heartburn after daring a Thai street vendor to "bring the pang!" drunkenly when ordering penang gai.

Overall, ordered this one first since it was the highest listed of the Cantillon. At least I didn't get robbed for a full bottle of this one.

4.55/5  rDev +2.7%

A - Scarlet brew with a bit of haze, small head and no lacing.

S - Very funky, tart fruit, white peaches and lemon. Words cannot capture the sour nature of this beer.

T - Quite sour, tart raspberries, sour grapes - as in the aftertaste of some sweet red wines. Aftertaste is a lingering sour of lemon and those same sour grapes. Amazingly delicious.

M - Smooth, thin and extremely refreshing.

D - Great! I loved the sourness! This one is fantastic, It actually lives up to the hype!

Photo of
4.15/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at 2007 Max's 72 Hours of Belgium

Hazy, ruby red grapefruit juice in appearance. Small, pink tinted, otherwise off white head.

Hard to get aroma in bar, but Belgian funk and sour cherries came through pretty well.

Taste was TART! Cherries and some other fruits. Bit of sweetness hiding in the middle. Floral notes at end.

Light to medium in mouthfeel. Fairly strong carbonation. Very drying.

Second try at the lambic style, and quite drinkable for a hop-head. I enjoyed it, and it was even better with my lunch (mussels). I am going to have to explore this style a bit more.

4.57/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: pours a clear reddish purple color with a short 1/2" head that falls quickly to a surface foam.

Smell: easily detectable sour and tart tones, red grapes, and a hint of barnyard muskiness.

Taste: the initial taste is strong on the sourness, but after the tongue adjusts to the initial shock, the complex flavor profile shines. Sour cherries and wine grapes, tart citrus, barnyard and earthy tones, and some very mellow bitterness. Dryness abounds.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Crisp and dry throughout, and the aftertaste is long on the pleasant sourness.

Drinkability: this is a strong flavored beer that is a slow sipper. At $29 a bottle, drinkability is lower from a financial standpoint, and the flavor profile is unique and is as far from a session beer as you can get. Absolute great beer worth shelling out the money for at least once.

4.62/5  rDev +4.3%

So here it is, review #1000. I had to treat myself to my first Cantillon product. I enjoyed this one with my wife Piera and Amit (who was visiting from Singapore).
Ruby red with garnet highlights and a light haze, the foam was a vibrant pink and quite fluffy. As the head settled to a thick ring, there was a bit of lacing, but nothing that really stuck. Incredible, complex aroma. There was strong barnyard funkiness, the distinct smell of horse, and a little vinegar. Also thrown in were light tobacco notes, some tart fruit, and a vinous character (like a merlot or burgundy). Very tart flavour, like raspberry seeds with a bit of sour cherry thrown into the mix. Puckering. Some earthiness became evident as it warmed, with notes of leather and barnyard increasing. Sweet grapes gave it a bit of red wine quality as well. Crisp carbonation to start, but this faded quickly to a gentler texture mid-sip. Nice body with significant dryness. I really enjoyed this and I'm glad I have some more Cantillon bottles to try out soon. There was a lot of complexity if you looked for it, but on the surface was a wonderful tart beer that was quite drinkable.

Cantillon Saint Lamvinus from Brasserie Cantillon