Cantillon Saint Lamvinus - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Saint LamvinusCantillon Saint Lamvinus

Wants: 1,177
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: truthbrew on 03-20-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Saint Lamvinus Alström Bros
1.93/5  rDev -57.4%

Shared with a mate.

S: Strong phenols and Merlot.

T: Incredibly salty. Way too sour. No sweetness at all. Aggressive phenols and cheap Merlot wine. Light, fizzy and foamy.

O: I thought I'd like this one but it's the worst beer I've ever had. My mate hated it as well. Awful, awful beer.

2.25/5  rDev -50.3%

2.3/5  rDev -49.2%

A clear, purple red beer with a thin head and very little carbonation.

Smell is very acidic and has grapeskin tannic notes. This is a real crossover between wine and beer, although it's smell leans far more towards red wine.

Taste is mouthfuckering sour. Very astringent like eating on a grapeseed. The taste is only wine. The sourness reminds of the lambic, but other than that the beer is just an acidic wine.

2.75/5  rDev -39.3%

2.75/5  rDev -39.3%

2.8/5  rDev -38.2%

Sampled on tap during the 72 Hrs. of Belgium at Max's, our only real let down of the mix.

Red winey looking with no head or lacing to speak of. Funky mix of fruit and barnyness on the nose. Flavor of tart raspberries, with an underlying funky sourness.

Sourness was a real detriment to the mouthfeel. It reminded me of late night heartburn after daring a Thai street vendor to "bring the pang!" drunkenly when ordering penang gai.

Overall, ordered this one first since it was the highest listed of the Cantillon. At least I didn't get robbed for a full bottle of this one.

2.93/5  rDev -35.3%

It's probably inappropriate for such an avowed sour hater like myself to review this beer. I did the best I could with it, but I absolutely cannot understand the attraction of beers such as this.

Had on tap during 72 hours of Belgium at Max's.

The beer pours a beautiful cherry red color with very good head retention and lacing. Alas, if only this beer would taste as good as it looks. The nose is quite complex, bordering on the bizarre. I get aromas of camel, dog sweat and barn yard. I guess that's a good thing if you're a gueuze/lambic lover. On the palate this beer is flat out undrinkable. The over-riding flavor I get is vinegar and sweaty socks. This is just disgusting. Mouthfeel is decent, but the sour in this beer is just overwhelming. No way I can drink the stuff.

Not my idea of a good beer. Trying to drink something like this is just absolutely no fun. Thank God I only got a very small glass (which even then I was unable to finish).

2.95/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a flat amber hue with not fizz at all. Flat in the glass, with the appearence of a glass of wine.

S: Very vineous, winey, with a touch of oak and red berries.

T: Oaky goodness up front with a big blast of sour. Cherries and raspberrys stand out. It is very muddy, and earthy with tannic fruit skins standing out. The finish is almost like a bad vinegar.

M: Medium in body, flat.

D: Not really. I usually like a small serving of the style, but this one just did not do it for me. It a too much vinegar flavor going on and the flavors did not seem to meld well.

It is not one I will revisit at the price it is offered.

Emperor's new brews. No fruit. No finish.

3.1/5  rDev -31.6%

On draught at Belmont Station's Puckerfest, served in a flute glass, Saint Lamvinus is a chill hazed purple with a thin white collar. Very pretty color.

Smell is pretty muted, some sourness with a vinous tang.

Taste is also pretty muted sourness, a bit too heavy on the wine for my taste, slightly rubbery, with an acidic bite.

Mouthfeel is dry and slick, with a medium body.

Drinkablity is wasn't to high for me, with to much wine and not enough funk. Still, I assume this barrel isn't aged beyond the brewery, and will probably grab a bottle at some point to stash for a few years. Maybe not worth the price of admission by the bottle though, it was $7 or 8 for a 10-12 oz pour at Belmont.

3.15/5  rDev -30.5%

Writing down the side of the cork indicates that it was bottled in 2005.

Pours a clear deep ruby color with little head.

Doesn't smell like vinegar, but you can tell this ones going to be tart. Fruit of the vine and cherry

The mouth feel is light, tart, and crisp, with a bit of tartness that lingers towards the front of the tongue.

The flavor is a mouth full of SweetTarts.

Drinkability...not doing it for me, but it's the best sour beer that i've tried.

3.25/5  rDev -28.3%

3.35/5  rDev -26%

2006 version on tap at Capones in Norristown.

A - Pours a deep red with no bubbles at all

S - sour, oaky, some leather, the aroma was not as forward as i was expecting though

T - lighter and thinner than expected, some vinegar and light sweetness, cherries, but overall, very mild

M/D - very light and thin mouthfeel, I think I have read other reviews of it being better bottled than kegged, and I wonder how this would change my thoughts of it. As of now, its not that highly rated for me.

9 oz tulip served @ Small Bar

A - Pours a beautifut deep blood red with a ring of white bubbles.

S - Lots of the standard lambic sour and funk. Huge leather and oak/wine presence. The oak is a lot stronger with this one than most of the sours/lambics I've tried. Overall, a really complex, subtle and pleasant aroma. However, at the very end there was a really odd finish - almost an olive like aroma.

T - Incredibly smooth for a lambic. Tart, but not puckering. Not as tart as I expected, which almost made this one seem a bit watery. Very complex - lots of wine influence - grape skins. Again, same issue as the nose. The tail end of a lot of sips finished with an overripe avocado/olive taste. Not pleasant. I'm not sure if it was an old/bad keg or what.

M - A bit undercarbed. Medium bodied and coats the mouth very impressively. Similar to wine - vinous. Both crisp and thick. Really impressive.

O - I'm glad I've got a bottle of this set aside as I imagine there was something off with the glass I had (at least I hope that's the case). Can see the potential for this one to be amazing, and am looking forward to trying it again.

3.35/5  rDev -26%

A: Light red beer with a minimal head.

S: Young grape and also a sweet and sour smell.

T: Young and sour gooseberries and sour elderberries.

M: No carbonation available, mouthfeel fast gone.

D: Nice experience with an a long aftertaste, drink well.

3.43/5  rDev -24.3%

Pours a pink/red/cranberry. Little light pink head, with some large and very small bubbles mixed together, disappear rather quickly. A small amount of very fine bubbles could be seen with a light swirl. Bacteriology lab smell dominates, with just a hint of sulfur and grape. Taste is acidic and tart. Thin to moderate mouthfeel. Tart, and more tart… no real grape, fruit, or any other flavors of note. The sides of my tongue were screaming, while the rest had nothing to focus on. Rather one dimensional. Dry finish. If you are looking for only tart, acidic character then this is for you if you are willing to pay the $30 price tag. Much more interesting Lambics (including other much less expensive Cantillons) out there for a fraction of the cost.
If you are new to Lambics and expecting or looking for Lambics with a balance of tartness and sweetness, look elsewhere. Also do not assume that since there are grapes on the label, that the product will taste anything like grape.
I enjoyed it, but nothing special.

3.45/5  rDev -23.8%

A wine glass served at Capone's.

A: The ale has a a slightly hazy, dull red color that has some brownish notes darkening it a bit. The pour is the last of the keg and the head is gone to a far away place, making this ale look still as water.

S: The aroma is an amalgum of funky barnyard and intense sourness with a bit of grape sweetness.

T: The sourness of the beer is intense, coming across like a slightly sweet vinegar. As the sourness fades away, a dry red grape emerges adding a slight sweetness. Finally, some green grape tartness seals the deal before returning to intense vinegary sourness.

M: The mouthfeel stings, preventing anything big from emerging. Having had a bottle and a tap serving, I am not seeking this beer out as part of my standard rotation.

D: The bitter acidity is too tart to make for a reliable drink.

3.45/5  rDev -23.8%

Got this one on the recommendation of the bartender, Elliot, at Monk's, which I respect a lot. Pours an amazing deep pink-red, with a very mild head on top. Nose is quite sour, a little sweet fruit too. Taste is similar; this beer is incredibly sour, a hint of sweet raspberry deliciousness as well, but overall a quite not-sweet beer. Interesting, and respectable for what they've created, but not one I'd go out of my way for. Feel is full and tasty. Overall, a beer that one should try at least once, just because it's so out-there, but not one I'd enjoy more than every once in a long while.

3.48/5  rDev -23.2%

750ml bottle into snifter.
55°F

$34.99 / ea.

A: Cloudy red body (pickled apples) topped with a small loose pink head that quickly dissipates leaving no lacing and only a ring of bubbles around the glasses circumference.

S: Classic lactic sour aroma with the grape only mildly noticeable in the background. Could have more nuance and depth.

T: About what I would expect from a merlot infused lambic. The grapes linger in the background much like the aroma, withe the lactic sour dominates. Not much depth. Needs *something* that I'm just not getting.

M: Light to medium carbonation and a light body that still retains a presence. Obvious sour sensation on the tongue, but not overpowering and does not linger. Crisp.

D: Needs food to enhance the experience. The beer is crisp, light, and interesting, if not deep. Ultimately not able to stand on its own with regard to session qualities.

O: At $35 a bottle I expected much more from this selection. It is good, and obviously a cut above your typical lambic, but not great. I was disappointed.

Cantillon Saint Lamvinus from Brasserie Cantillon