2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cantillon Saint Lamvinus - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Saint LamvinusCantillon Saint Lamvinus

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: truthbrew on 03-20-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,244 | Reviews: 426 | Show All Ratings:
rowingbrewer

4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

All i can say is wow this beer is amazing. ordered a bottle at deep ellum with friends for $40, not bad considering that is the shelf price.

this beer pours a nice red color, I could not give you the exact shade as it was quite late and deep ellum is pretty dark inside anyways. the smell is acetic and sour right of the back with a little bit of funk in there but barely noticeable over the sour smell. the taste is sour with red wine notes and acidity a superb balance between the wine grape flavor and the sour lambic. the mouthfeel is light and mouth wateringly sour. overall this is the best sour beer i have ever had.

09-15-2011 21:08:53 | More by rowingbrewer
jamescain

4.43/5  rDev -2%

Poured into a sniffer, big thanks to Dajtai007 for sharing this one

Appearance: Pours a clear purplish-red with a soft pink head about a finger thick that fades into a thin lacing over the top. Very soft and elegant looking.

Aroma: Grape skins, fruit, blackberries, cherries, oak, subtle funk blended with tart fruity aromas, a real treat.

Taste: Dark grape flavor, tart cherries, subtle oak character with a finish that is citrusy and clean.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation and light body with a slightly sour dry finish.

Overall: I could easily see myself knocking back a few bottles of this; however, my wallet can't see that.

09-15-2011 16:26:19 | More by jamescain
Dreadnaught33

District of Columbia

4.64/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Can't remember the vintage, forgot to write it down but it was younger.

A: Beautiful color, like a purple to red hue that is quite brilliant. Nice ring of head and even some lacing. Really quite pretty, amazing what they can do with colors.

S: Classic Cantillon wild yeast and barnyard funk and very refined grape notes. Round oak meld and smooth out some of the funk. Not as aromatic as I'm used to from Cantillon, but this still smells quite nice and has a light wheaty malt berry/grape pie smell.

T/M: Great dry old taste with a semi bitter fruit pit aftertaste with some nice tart white grape and light berry fruits. This almost seems like a slightly sweet fruit tart or pie with the crust. I also get a fruit tart burst at the back of the palate. Effervescent bubbles help lift the yeasty notes and funky straw to the fore to compete with the fruit. The oak also has a nice moderating role to make sure nothing sticks out too much. Nice dry finish as well.

Overall a great beer, definitely worth seeking out.

09-12-2011 20:57:13 | More by Dreadnaught33
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

Wow, this is quite the gem, truly, looks like merlot, a little lighter, but brighter, prettier, good sexy meld of purple and pink. The head is pink, and a good 1"+ deep. Truly a masterpiece worth looking at. Solid purple grape aroma, usual suspects of dry lemon.

Complex. Grapes, tannins, meld to produce a dry fruit presence, all the great sour flavor, none of it getting in the way of each other. A little bit of berry note to it. Just the right amount of tartness, substantial. I thought it was very clean, not barnyardy or horse blanket stuff you can read in almost every review.

Damn expensive stuff, but sometimes, you or she is worth it. Normally, I think the year round lineup from Cantillon (and Fantome) was usually superior to the harder to gets, but this one seems to be the exception to the rule.

Damn fine on a day at the end of summer, thanks Labor Day weekend 2011. This and 3F schaerbeekse in heaven.

EdIT: got to try some on tap at triple rock, wow, this beer just keeps getting better every time I drink it.

09-05-2011 05:55:28 | More by Beerandraiderfan
SpeedwayJim

4.38/5  rDev -3.1%

Thanks to claaark for this one. 750ml capped and corked bottle into a Cantillon tulip. 2010 cork date. Shared with schen9303.

Pour yields a 1 finger powdery pink head with moderate retention that dissipates into a thick ring around the glass. Beer is a clear deep, pink-purple. Lacing is non-existant. Above average due to the amazing color.

Nose is tart purple grapes, rotting wood, and a distinct, sharp cheesiness mixed with some cobweb notes. Very aromatic, robust, and fruity overall while remaining simple. Impressive.

Opens cobwebs, plastic, grape tartness mixed with a juicy sweetness. Barrel notes emerge prominently towards the middle with a Brett dryness. Some wet straw at the end where grape characteristics re-emerge. Finish is tart and lemon-y. Aftertaste is grape, lemon, and wood. Complexity really grows and grows as this one warms.

Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth and silky in the mouth and puckering and dry going down. Dry finish with a lingering aftertaste. Perfect for the style and gets smoother and smoother as I sip and sip.

Really a perfect representation of the style and one of the best fruit lambics that Cantillon makes in my opinion. Only rivaled by Lou Pepe Kriek in Cantillon's normal line. Snatch this one up if you can. Amazing fresh and gets more and more graceful as it ages.

09-02-2011 00:46:42 | More by SpeedwayJim
Brew33

4.78/5  rDev +5.8%

Bottled in 2010 according to the cork.

My first crack at this beauty. The color is a deep rose with a thin, pink tinged head. The aroma is fantastic. That signature Cantillon funk is very present but the aroma of fruit is also very evident. Very vinous in the nose.

I'm trying to find the words to describe the taste of this beer but they escape me. Fantastic? Unbelieveable? Perfection? This beer gives you everything you could want from a traditional fruit lambic. Fruit character, check. Tartness, check. Funk, check. Complexity, check. This beer is amazing. Not quite as sour as most Cantillon offerings. An underlying sweetness from the grapes is evident and balances PERFECTLY with sour/tart/funky notes. Wow.

This beer is perfectly carbonated. Mouthfeel is absolutely spot on for the style and ABV.

Overall, a fantastic beer from Cantillon and maybe the best Lambic I've ever tasted. Absolutely amazing.

08-30-2011 13:14:12 | More by Brew33
AleWatcher

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

Reviewed from notes-- still trying to get caught up!

poured into a tulip. Shared by yeahnatenelson. This was an 06 vintage.

A light peachy pink color. Little head of off-white bubbles, nice legs, average spotty lace.

Smells of charred oak, red grape skin, a strange hint of cranberry pomegranate. Smells really fucking sour, and if I may sound like oreo for a second-- smells really fuckin awesome.
The taste hits all the notes I found in the nose-- very light sweetness up front before the red grapes and charred oak and vinous notes take over. This is tasty fo sho. Lots of flavor, and that charred oak note works insanely well as a counterpoint to the intense sourness.

The body is medium/full with a low carbonation level-- it isn't too low though. Just on the low level of being great. The feel has a tongue scrubbing sensation and the finish is extremely sour-- one of the most sour of the night. It pulls my cheeks in.

This beer is just really really good, and that's not just because I'm a cantillon fan-boy.
Overall-- this is impressive. I could sip on this regularly-- if only it didn't cost $40 per bottle out this way!

08-28-2011 00:28:00 | More by AleWatcher

750 ML Cap/Cork

Clusterfork7
Not sure vintage
Not sure BA

App- A great mix of colors in this glass. Similar to the Framboozled, had a great mix of purples, reds and pinks but very little in terms of head/bubbles/lace or cling

Smell- This is a very well done beer from across the pond. The mix of citrus, tannin, barrel and yeast is amazing. I wanted to be elephant and stick my whole nose in the bottle.

Taste- This besides 10.10.10, is the most wine like beer I have had. I dont like wine but I liked this one. Very white wine but mixed with yeast and oak. The grapes added a layer of very mellow flavors mixed with the barrel to create a very dry tart/funk combo

Mouth- A light to medium bodied and a medium in carbonation. This was very dry and tart. A very signature Cantillon residual flavor.

Drink- I am not sad to say but more happy to say I am being a huge fan of Cantillon and want a whole ton more of it. This was simply a great beer.

08-22-2011 20:57:52 | More by FosterJM
jethrodium

4.53/5  rDev +0.2%

750 ml bottled in 2010 shared by cenzo. Thanks Vince. Pours a bright cherry red with small white head that has decent retention and leaves a bit of lacing on the glass. The aroma is a light brett funkiness, red wine grapes, light tannins with a bit of oak as well as a bit of cherry. The initial taste is quite sour with a little bit of sweetness and the red wine grapes coming through. A bit of oak and cherry are present as well as some lactic acid. The standard Cantillon barnyard funk is present in small amounts as well. The finish is dry with a light tannic astringency. Light to medium body with a really good slick mouthfeel. Low to medium carbonation. Another great Cantillon beer that I would be happy to drink anytime.

07-30-2011 23:42:40 | More by jethrodium
BradLikesBrew

Missouri

4.43/5  rDev -2%

Enjoyed at the Flying Saucer.

Bright ruby body, thin white head.

Smells like great wine mixed with brett. Funky red wine, that's all I've got. Like a soured bottle of wine a customer might return at a wine shop.

Grape juice, merlot, sour apple, green apple skin, sour cherry, tart raspberry, bright acidity, and on and on. The balance of rich fruit, wine and acidity is amazing. Not overly sour, but the tartness is there and adds perfect balance.

Lush, but highly carbonated.

One of the most balanced and complex lambics I've had. The merlot grapes really lend something special. I think this would be better with more age (bottle says 21 November 2010). Allowing the brett to do its thing and develop more wild character would take this to a whole new level. I liked the Cuvee de Champion, but this is clearly in another league.

07-29-2011 01:47:32 | More by BradLikesBrew
schwaeh

4.55/5  rDev +0.7%

750ml bottle recieved from Kaydogg, thanks dogg
September 2010 bottling

A: Pours a light red wine, reddish-purple color. The head has a lavender tint that dissapates into a thin ring. Light lacing and active carbonation.
S: The smell on this had me giddy. It smells like a much more complex merlot. Merlot grapes are predominant with some cherry-raspberry-currant mix in the background. Plenty of barrel influence(oak, wild yeast, damp wood,etc).

T: At first this seemed bracingly sour but that wore off quickly. I'm glad my taste buds adjusted so I could appreciate all this had to offer. Ripe grapes and wild yeast dominate the flavor. There is a nice sweet and a hint of cherry. I get some vanilla that goes along with the sweetness that builds as this warms. The acidity is light.

M: This has a medium body and zesty carbonation. Its dry and refreshing at the same time.

O: As expected this beer is very wine-like. This a very complex beer that deserves a lot of time and some room temperature enjoyment.
Best fruit lambic I've had, probably my favorite cantillon to date, but I still have a hard time believe its worth that price; That said I'm not sure I could pass this up if it was sitting on the shelf. This is a real treat, glad I finally got to try it.

07-26-2011 01:04:56 | More by schwaeh
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

3.78/5  rDev -16.4%

2010 750ml bottle, split 3 ways. I took about 14oz of it, though.

A- Nice ruby red in the pour- everyone commented on the vibrant color. Simply glowing in the light. Nice rosy pink head in the snifter, not much in the wine glasses.

S- Sweet jammy grapes. Marmalade and some mild funk.

T- Signature cantillon funk comes on strong but is wiped away from the grapes. Very grape-y. The fruit is nice- tartness is a wonderful contrast to the funk, and there's enough sweetness to really make this mellow all-around. Nothing sharp or too wild about this. The grapes are too sweet as it warms.. too far in to wine territory for me.

M- There's too much grape skin flavor pulling this in the direction of wine. I know that's the idea behind the beer, but I'm not sold on it. Perhaps with time the grapes mellow.

O- Good, heck, pretty damn good maybe great. Too pricey though, and Cantillon has better fruit lambics. I'll be passing on this one in the future.

07-24-2011 06:27:54 | More by ShogoKawada
SubpoenaDeuces

4.78/5  rDev +5.8%

A: Nice ruby huge to a light magenta. It has micro bubbles with wispy lacing. It looks like a majestic wine cooler. If bartels and james won the lottery and went all high brow, this would be the result.

S: Huge tart notes with great strawberry, cherries, sour currants, and bitter grapes. Granny smith apple skins are there as well. This smells incredible.

T: It has a crisp raspberry tartness that mellows into a smooth sweetness like a melted fruit rollup. It has a sour finish to it that imparts an incredibly refreshing dryness. This is the best Cantillon that I have had to date and it is the best Lambic that I have ever had. The vintage helped mellow it incredibly, even if it was only 2 years. The fruits interplay with the tart notes perfectly.

M: It is incredibly light and juicy with minimal coating and chardonnay dryness that just stings and crackles in a fantastic way. The carbonation is like an army of diligent effervesence that makes sure the bitter notes are imparted with incredible efficacy. Again, just amazing balance all around.

D: This makes Consecration look like an imperial stout and Lindeman’s look like candy syrup. It is leagues above all other sours and lambics that I am familiar with. I could drink this in a boat, with a goat, green eggs and ham; etc. You could drink this with any food, at any location and it would be well suited. I feel that this could give white and red wine equal competition with pairings because it is so original and dynamic. I can’t imagine how blaeber could improve on this model but I am anxious to try.

Narrative: Vitus Tanneen had been in some sticky jams before but this time, this time certainly was noteworthy. The walls of the trash compactor closed slowly, pressing the wine refuse closer into the chamber. The aluminum walls reeked of sweet grape skins and sticky notes. If not for the impending death, this would be an almost pleasant situation. “Well Sir Knuckles, looks like we are in a PRESSING SITUATION!” His friendly companion, Sir Knuckles, was an astute howler monkey with no penchant for puns. “WREE EE EE EEEK!” Sir Knuckles gestured imposingly to a hatch covered in sticky grape residue. “Well Sir Knuckles, this is one top that I have no hesitation to pop.” Using a wine opener, Vitus deftly unsealed the hatch and emerged into the bay area sunshine. “NOT TODAY KENDAL JACKSON! NOT TODAY!” He spun and his velvet tails swung after this athletic frame with the poise of a man, a man almost killed by grapes.

07-22-2011 06:04:39 | More by SubpoenaDeuces
Thehuntmaster

South Africa

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

750ml bottle 5,0% Abv.
Served lightly chilled poured into a tulip wine glass.
Bottled 21st November 2010

Sours are quickly becoming my favorite style, really looking forward to this one.
No pop as the cork is removed. I hope this one is ok carbonation wise.

Appearance: Good lord, what a colour! St. Lamvinus pours the most stunning crimson (first pour is clear, subsequent pours result in a yeast haze) with a small light pink head. While the head doesn’t last long, it is expected from the style and with such an amazing colour I just can’t bear to knock any points off.

Smell: Hmmm, I did expect this to be pretty full of grapes but my first sniff tells me that funk might just be dominant. I guess that’s a good thing though, since I LOVE lambic funk. Superb balance between tart fruits and funk. The funkiness dominates overall, with: Musty cellars, old books, cobwebs, cheese (much stronger than in other lambics I have had), hints of sweat, hay and lovely woody notes. Having said that, the fruit is far from forgotten. Red grapes (I couldn't tell the variety though), red wine vinegar and sour cherry skins are present throughout and every now and then I get a blast of over ripe red grapes and just the tiniest hint of raspberry.

Taste: Ah yes, nothing like the mouth-puckering sourness of the first sip of a Cantillon! After 2 sips my mouth is used to the sourness and I can begin to appreciate the amazing complexities in the beer. Sour, fruity, funky - what more could I want?
The flavour is huge and so complex that any description seems to be very inadequate. Guess I’ll just have to try.
Red grapes (I would be closer to guessing merlot in the flavour than the smell), sour cherries, red wine vinegar, oak, dusty, farmyard, sweat, foot-like cheese (sounds dreadful, but works so well), old books, the list goes on.

Mouthfeel: Just lighter than medium bodied with typical lambic (Perfect!!!) carbonation. I am very glad carbonation is not an issue like I first thought; it would have destroyed the beer. The medium-low level of fine, slightly tingly carbonation works beautifully with the sourness.

Overall: Superb, one of the best beers I have had. The only improvement I could suggest and it's only a small one - a little more grape aroma would have been nice. Though maybe a fresher bottle would have delivered. Still a beer I will most certainly buy again!

07-20-2011 21:05:37 | More by Thehuntmaster
DavoleBomb

4.4/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

After getting my throat (and later my ass) torn apart by a '10 Kriek, I've decided to give this a go to see if history repeats itself. 2008 vintage.

3.5 A: Lightly hazed plum color. Just about two fingers of barely pink soda pop head that falls quickly and leaves no lacing.

4.5 S: Already I know I'm in for a much better experience. Tons of vinous grape with blueberry and blackberry just behind and perhaps a touch of cherry to round things out. Lots of musty funkiness with barnyard notes as well. Small oak contribution. Good balance between fruit and acid. Good bit of fruity lactic acid with just a hint of acetic acid. Very nice.

4.5 T: A good bit of sourness in this, but the acetic acid isn't overabundant. Again lots of grape with nearly as much cherry. The berry twins have taken a bit of a backseat in the taste. Plenty of barnyard and musty funk. This is loaded with tangy lactic acid. Complex and well balanced.

4.0 M: Lighter medium body. Good active carbonation. Lightly creamy and smooth.

4.5 D: Good beer. Definitely sour, but not intestine twisting. After the Kriek yesterday I had a few rounds of the quick step, but I don't imagine there will be an encore performance tonight. Solid all around.

07-19-2011 23:10:21 | More by DavoleBomb
zoso1967

3.75/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottled on October 27th 2009, imported to Calgary, purchased by TCgoalie, brought back to Grand Rapids and eventually transported to Traverse City where he, TCHopCraver, BuckyFresh and I all did a group audio review that I have turned into what I have posted here.

Cantillon Saint Lamvinus pours a bright red color that is very unique. Not necessarily a fruity color, though we decided raspberry red was as close as we could describe it. The pinkish head disappears almost as fast as it appears despite the significant amount of carbonation. This does not leave much lace, but it almost has “legs” to it like wine.

The aroma is quite vinous with plenty of character from the grapes coming through. Really the wine aspect of the aroma is second to the ever present sour and funky lambic aromas. Together they create a very enjoyable bouquet though.

Perhaps I am just not as into sour as some, but this beer was damn sour. It is extremely dry with lots of acidic sour and funky basement notes. The wine really plays second fiddle in the flavor and I cannot pick up a ton of the merlot notes. There is a definite citrusy pithy sort of character and also kiwi.

The mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium with a pretty invigorating amount of carbonation. This beer is so dry and acidic that it is an amazing palate cleanser.

Overall I have to say that this beer just had a bit too much sour going on for me. It was pleasant in the aroma, but really dominated the flavor. I wish it had a bit more balance, but then again it is possible that the age had mellowed the grapes and let the sour shine through more. It was definitely quite the experience to drink this beer though, especially in good company.

07-18-2011 12:00:24 | More by zoso1967
CwrwAmByth

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured into a chimay goblet from a 750ml bottle.

Pours a red wine colour due to merlot grapes, and a lovely pink head forms.

Smells tart, very grape/wine like.

Tastes like a lambic, with the characteristic sourness, yet the addition of the merlot grapes adds a tartness to the flavour, making it positively lip smacking.

Overall a delightful drink, crisp, tart and sour, perfect with a tomato spaghetti dish.

07-15-2011 19:23:43 | More by CwrwAmByth
ktrillionaire

4.97/5  rDev +10%

2009 bottle courtesy of the ever-awesome ericfb18. The brew pours a luscious blood-red hue, although it is fully translucent; it is capped with a thin wisp of encircling white froth. The nose is pure Cantillon funk; delicious and complex. Notes of bushy mixed berries, acidity of the acetic persuasion more than lactic, tannic oak, and an overall unbelieveably delectable and well-rounded flavor make this one of the best beers on Earth. The wine and grape is there if you look for it, although I feel like the fruitiness could just as easily be cherry, raspberry, blueberry or a berry melange. The most succinct way to describe the flavor of St. Lamvinus: This is what I thought Blabaer was going to taste like. I am struck by the fullness of the fruit flavor; it is not mere nuance, the taste is big and jammy and unabashed. The feel is full and creamy for a Cantillon (a la Blabaer), and has a wonderfully dry and mouth-watering finsh. Overall, this is about as good as a beer (or any libation, for that matter) can be.

07-15-2011 02:57:56 | More by ktrillionaire
lanbewardin

4.3/5  rDev -4.9%

Bottle looks the same as pictured but says 5% instead of 6% abv.
Bottled Nov. 2010.

Pours dark red, bourgeney-ish, thin head.
Classic cantillon smell, sour, farmhouse funk. Some sour fruits smell, sour cherries.
Taste is very sour, taste the cantillon lambic, again some sour fruits, some red wine aftertaste. Great mouthfeel, good carbonation.

The only downside is that I didn't get the huge grape flavor I was expecting , to me the lambic flavors overpowered the grapes.

Very drinkable and refreshing.

07-11-2011 07:34:45 | More by lanbewardin
Urbancaver

4.15/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a nice reddish pink. A bit of nice white head. Looks very pretty. Smells like damp dog. Funky and sour. A hint of grape. Tastes grape heavy. Very tart and acidic. A bit harsh and abrasive and burns on the throat. But it's a nice flavour profile. Overall highly carbonated but very nice.

07-08-2011 02:34:43 | More by Urbancaver
Soonami

3.8/5  rDev -15.9%

Thanks Rich (phillybeer7779) for procuring a bottle of St. Lamvinus to share--I appreciate the effort it took to obtain this treat. This is a a very expensive beer, retailing for $30-40 USD, and very hard to justify purchasing without a group of beer geeks that understand what it is and to share it with. I'm glad Rich brought in a bottle to share with our tasting group.

The beer is lightly carbonated with a quickly dissipating head that leaves just a ghostly halo of pink foam. The beer is a dark bloody purple and almost transparent with a rose tint. The beer smells a little funky but not nearly as much as some older aged gueuzes I've had. The grapes are present in the aroma, but that pedio and lacto acidity dominate the nose. The beer is surprisingly mild. I was expecting a tongue curling acidity, but this is just mildly sour with some astringency from the wine grapes and maybe from the oak barrels. The grapes give a little bit of fruity sweetness and contributes to the thinner texture of the beer. I was definitely expecting more lambic and beer character with brighter acidity and livelier carbonation.

I was a little disappointed in this beer, but perhaps it just needed some more aging to bring out the lambic qualities I was looking for.

06-09-2011 04:05:40 | More by Soonami
Brabander

Netherlands

3.75/5  rDev -17%

I was visiting Digita7693 last sunday with a collegue of me in Kassel, Germany. We had a great time and after dinner Don cracked open this bottle for us.

I have had (only) one Cantillon before this one and that was a bit of a disappointment. This one however was much better to drink.

Don poured this beer, or should i say, half beer and half wine, in Westvleteren glasses. Nothing much to see after the pouring, no head of course, red to purple fluid.

The taste of grapes is strong in this beer, fruity and light sour.

Thanks for the treat Don!

05-27-2011 14:02:39 | More by Brabander
Azurescens

Washington

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750mL corked and capped bottle with bottled on date 18 November 2008, poured into champagne glass at Brouwer's, reviewed on 5/15/11

A: Pours an absolutely beautiful clear rosy color with light pink head that leaves some lacing around glass.

S: Lots of funk with some lactic sourness, hints of grapes and earthy notes.

T: Slightly sweet and sour with lots of barnyardy funk. The grapes are a great addition to what is surely a stellar lambic by itself.

M: Nice slightly acidic tingling with moderate carbonation, finishes dry.

O: Another great lambic from Cantillon, great all around, really drinkable and refreshing. Definitely one of my favorite sours.

05-19-2011 05:16:20 | More by Azurescens
Gosox8787

New Hampshire

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 750 mL bottle split with Sully62601 at the Amesbury Alehouse. Poured into a wine glass. Served chilled from the refrigerator but allowed to warm over about the course of half an hour.

Appearance: Reddish maroon in color. Plenty of carbonation, but pours with a slight effervescence and not much of a head.

Aroma: The funk notes are definitely noticeable and are a bit stronger than I expected. Notes of wood tannins, vinegar and a touch of fruit.

Taste: The Cantillon sourness is a bit muted at first bt really shines through as the beer warms. Big horse blanket and barnyard funk notes play a strong role here too. Some really nice wood tannin and vinegar notes in there as well. Definitely comes close to replicating a nice red wine at times. The lactic sourness really hits nicely after all the oak, vinegar and funk. Nicely balanced and easy to drink.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated and very refreshing. Very light in the mouth.

Overall, another great offering from Cantillon I was thrilled to try. The lighter red wine and oak notes from the grapes and barrels make it a bit more balanced and subtle (but still just as complex) the other offerings by them. Definitely recommended.

05-16-2011 00:31:19 | More by Gosox8787
alampear

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

750ml bottle, 2008 vintage. Pours a dark, deep reddish-purple with a thin pink head. Aromas of grapes, berries, vinegar, oak and funk. Flavors of tart grape skins, balsamic vinegar, hints of citrus, oak and sweetness. Medium bodied, with a dry and tart finish. Medium carbonation with nice Cantillon funk and lots of aging potential.

05-14-2011 18:20:11 | More by alampear