Cantillon Saint Lamvinus | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Saint LamvinusCantillon Saint Lamvinus

Brasserie Cantillon
Belgium | website

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Everyone knows some of our best friends are wine growers from the Libourne region in France, more specifically those who make Saint Emillion and Pomerol. They respect the tradition and let their wine ferment in a natural way.

Fermentation, origin and vintage are still kept up.

Our collaboration resulted in a product uniting the best of their wine and of our beer : the Saint-Lamvinus.

The grapes, of the merlot and cabernet-franc varieties, are soaked in Bordeaux barrels containing two to three years old lambic. The beer is not blended before the bottling. The foam is caused by the addition of a liquor which starts the fermentation.

Added by truthbrew on 03-20-2003

Reviews: 466 | Ratings: 1,925
4.72/5  rDev +6.5%

A: Murky raspberry color, with a thin layer of head that dissipates into a tiny layer of bubbles, leaving minimal, foamy lacing.

S: Sour yet sweet, with a distinct barnyard scent. Lots of berries and some fresh herbs, with some other fruits also making an entrance (grapes, dark cherries).

T: A truly great lambic. Lots of berries and grapes, with an acidic finish. Very tangy and funky. Lots of great lambic character. A touch of merlot/bordeaux on the aftertaste, but not as much as I expected.

M: Soft and slightly chewy. Medium bodied. Acidity provides a nice, mid-palate tingle, but it finishes clean.

D: As it warms, it only gets better. I could drink this forever.

4.28/5  rDev -3.4%

Younger35 is the shiznizzle.

Pours a cloudy garnet with a thin, wispy head that disappears in seconds. Cherries, grapes, oak, red wine, and vinegar on the nose. Sour grapes & cherries hit first, with oakiness and sweet fruit flavors following. Very rich & complex. Tart for sure, but not overpowering, with the sweeter side providing a nice balance. Finishes crisp & dry.

This is the kind of sour that American brewers are trying to emulate. Easily up there with the best.

3.99/5  rDev -9.9%

pours up a beautiful grapefruit color with a very thin white head. the nose is sourness with subtle fruits. the taste is very tart, grapes, subtle wood. good stuff. medium body, sweet finish

This beer is very interesting. Cantillon is slowly but surely climbing its way to the top of the Mortal Kombat pillar getting ready to fight bearded Shang Tsung!

4.83/5  rDev +9%

Purchased at sub-zero. bottled in 2004. consumed 8/8/08.

Pours a beautiful glowing ruby red color with a stark white head that has a tiny tiny touch of pink to it. Nose is super duper tart with alot of brett funk and sugar. Taste follows. Tart and funky as hell with a ton of wild flavor and puckering sour taste. some great fruitiness towards the end of the drag. Very dry finish. Mouthfeel is great and wonderfully dry with ample carbonation for the style. Drinkability is the best I have ever had for the style. A wonderful offering from Cantillon, and one I would love to have a couple bottles of in the cellar. Awesome lambic and one I certainly recommend to any sour beer enthusiast. Now if they could just make it a little bit cheaper!

4.22/5  rDev -4.7%

Bottle dated 2004

Pours an interesting mixture of colors. Seemingly pale red, or dark pink, with some deep amber hues as well. No real head on the initial pour, but a thin bubbley coating resides on top of the beer.

The aroma is incredible. Quite pungent. Big notes of Brett, making your mouth water just from the suggestion of tartness. Some tones of oak, slightly vinous, and slightly floral as well. A little bite to it as well.

Taste is fantastic. Not nearly as sour as I had assumed, but quite tart indeed. Some vinous qualities, light and refreshing berry. A nice tartness with a touch of the oak. Just tremendous and quite impressive.

Mouthfeel is just shy of medium bodied, and carbonation is almost nonexistent.

Drinkability is insanely high for the type of beer this is. Alcohol is low making for easier consumption, but the flavor is quite good and the tartness is not overwhelming. Makes for quite an experience. I much prefer this to say Cantillon Iris.

Served on tap at Ebeneezer's

Poured into a wine glass. dark ruby color with almost no head at all. Aroma is very vinous with lots of sour funk. Tastes how you would think it was going to taste. Lots of lactic sourness some barnyard funk and lots of red wine taste. Puckering mouthfeel, crisp body. It's hard to draw the line here. I enjoyed this brew, but thought it might have been too wine like.

3.97/5  rDev -10.4%

Had on tap at Ebenezer's in a Cantillon wine-style glass. A most clear black cherry cola type color with a minimal head. Some spaced out carbonation bubbles floating up the side of the glass. Smells of old red wine, soem funky earthy smells, and some sour cherries. Tastes something like tart, sour cherrie and apple wine. Some lite fizziness, but not much. Some grape in there as well. As it warms, I get more tart red wine flavor. Great lambic mouthfeel and probably the most drinkable lambic I have had.

3.78/5  rDev -14.7%

A: deep raspberry red and black cherry in color. No head even on very aggressive pours. Looks like fruit juice, if it weren't for the visible carbonation bubbles.

S: Intense is one word for this beer! had a vinous wine essence even before decorking by smelling the cork. Definitely deserving of it's puckering qualities. This is a sour, vinegary, funky beer, almost completely overwhelming the fruit, which I can't really pick it out in aroma.

T&M: moutfeel has adequate carbonation for my liking. This is one sour beer where the aroma is almost completely inline with the flavor. Musty, sour, vinous, somewhat dry. Fruit flavors are definitely muted and pretty much completely overwhelmed by the tartness.

D: I think this would nicely compliment a dessert or equally tart salad, or maybe even a minced dish of sorts. 1 glass is all I could handle.

Powerful stuff, but overall for the style, top notch.

3.11/5  rDev -29.8%

On draught at Belmont Station's Puckerfest, served in a flute glass, Saint Lamvinus is a chill hazed purple with a thin white collar. Very pretty color.

Smell is pretty muted, some sourness with a vinous tang.

Taste is also pretty muted sourness, a bit too heavy on the wine for my taste, slightly rubbery, with an acidic bite.

Mouthfeel is dry and slick, with a medium body.

Drinkablity is wasn't to high for me, with to much wine and not enough funk. Still, I assume this barrel isn't aged beyond the brewery, and will probably grab a bottle at some point to stash for a few years. Maybe not worth the price of admission by the bottle though, it was $7 or 8 for a 10-12 oz pour at Belmont.

4.32/5  rDev -2.5%

Thanks to Sephiroth for this bottle. 2005 vintage.

a - pours a hazy, deep brownish burgundy color, smallish bubbly white head with no retention or lacing

s - really funky horsey aroma, barnyard really dominates, strong notes of strawberry, grape and sour cherry, some tannins from the barrels are noticeable

t - big barnyard funkiness, tartness and sourness up front, a little leather and oak, midpalate and the finish have a nice fruitness, some red grape, strawberry, and sour cherry, lingering sourness and some tannic dryness on the finish with little to no alcohol detectable, very well integrated all around

m - light-to-medium bodied, moderate carbonation, quite drying on the palate

d - while this is tart, sour, and dry, it still is pretty drinkable as long as you're a sour lover, I got through the 750 no problem

Really good beer overall. The wine barrel aging adds a nice dimension. Great drinking experience, but it's hard to justify the $35 price tag.

4.47/5  rDev +0.9%

750 ml bottle shared by Crosling, thanks a million. Pours a light pink-red moderately cloudy. Like a grapeskin color. Head is also pink. Smells horseblanket. dry musty oak. Very dry, some grape, and some berry.

Tastes dry and sour with nice sweet malt to balance. Berry fruity is dried out, but quite prominent. Some brettanomyces horseblanket character is present, but just one player in the complex nature of this beer. Clean dry puckering. Fruity flavor despite the driness is quite impressive accomplishment. Strong carbonation helps clean the palate. Wonderful drinkability. Light fruity dry crisp, yet leaves a lingering berry and horseblanket.

4.72/5  rDev +6.5%

Thanks to Jastack for the brew.

For me, this will be a day long remembered. Isabella Proximus, Jahva, Gordon, and now Cantillon Saint Lamvinus. Truly epic.

Pours a hazy reddish pink brown. Yes, all those at once. A half inch or so of white foam quickly vanishes, leaving a thin white crust behind.

Smell is the familiar sour funk with a tart, acidic red wine background. The taste is more varied, with the familiar sour apple/pear funk overlaid with chardonnay grapes gone funky, and a wonderful effervescent soury champagne-esque/dry mouthfeel. Have I mentioned "sour" enough yet? If not, here's one more: the beer is sour.

One of the greatest beers I've ever had, and the vinous/oaky characteristics are truly sublime. If I hadn't tasted Isabella Proximus earlier today, I might actually be even more glowing in my review than I am. But, so it goes.

4.5/5  rDev +1.6%

Appearance: A hazy but clear reddish-purple, beautiful in color. An inch or so of head rises and quickly dissipates, in the usual Cantillon fashion.

Smell: Intense funk from a mile away; barnyard, sweat, parmesan cheese, damp basement - it almost overwhelms the fruit, but not entirely; there's a note of grape beneath it all. Once the nose becomes accustomed to the funk the aroma takes on an almost soured red wine quality. This is definitely one of the more intriguing Cantillon beers. I should add that the last pour from the bottle (with sediment) had the most hilariously intense aroma of funk I've ever smelled.

Taste & mouthfeel: Utterly dry, sour and acidic with plenty of dry vinous flavor to balance things out. The lambic base is fairly dominant here, but the character of the grapes and barrel shine through just enough to give it depth beyond your average lambic. The marriage of lambic and red wine grapes makes for a profoundly dry mouthfeel.

4.77/5  rDev +7.7%

So here we are. I made it to review number 1000. It has been an interesting voyage to get to this point, and that number seems huge, especially in a year and a half's time. But alas I have arrived. So the question then became, what do you have for such a big number. Now you can get all crazy looking for the rarest and most sought after beers out there, however to be honest I have had a lot of them, and I decided to go for something, that while not being common, certainly isn't rare, but was something that I had wanted to try for a very long time. Being a fan of the sours, I knew this one would be a doozy, and since it is quite pricey, and not available to me locally, I felt it would make a good choice to go for the big number. A very nice, classic looking Cantillon 750ml bottle, wrapped in black foil with corked. I let this one come up just a touch above the fridge temperature before I opened it up and let it breath. Served in a brand new Terrapin glass( Thanks Ding) I felt ready to go for it.

Appearance - The pour was beautiful. A deep pinkish color, almost rose with a good amount of haze was dropped into the glass. Holding it up to a bright light really just let it shine through, the color was wonderful. A small crown of off white graced the top for just a few moments before setting down and leaving it open and bare. There was some side glass lace initially, but after that faded it was all pretty smooth and clear. The carbonation was apparent as it bubbled up toward the surface ever so gently throughout the session.

Smell - The aroma on this one was almost indescribable. It had that classic farmhouse funk to it, which naturally you expect to see from Cantillon, however there were some subtle differences between this and the others I have had. The sweet smell of grapes was percolating through on here, and as it warmed became easier and easier to pick up in the smell. It was not overpowering as the funk aroma was, but rather, just light enough to let you know there was some depth to it. Tart sour grapes stole the show, with hints of cherries and a wet hay back.

Taste - The flavor was beautiful, really these beers are more like works of art. It started out with a subtle dose of chardonnay like grapes, slightly sweet, but with the acidic touch to them. Beautiful work here, with a deep, resonant funk to it that just lingers on for what seemed like years to be honest. Subtle touches of cherries and grapes dropped in with this, really working the taste buds. As it warmed it just continued to evolve. It is so hard sometimes to try and describe that flavor, and I refuse to use the sweaty and other somewhat derogatory comments to describe it, and funk is a good thing in this case. Enormously try and tart finish just left you begging for another sip with an almost vinegar like finish to it, wow that was really damn good is the final thing running through your head.

Mouthfeel - This had one of the best feels it could have. Just a hair shy of being a medium bodied ale, the carbonation was enough to keep it very lively and the perfect balance of profile, never feeling thin, or watery, but rather just being very tight and crisp. A wonderful addition here for sure.

Drinkability - You really cannot get much better then this. The flavors were so complex, the ABV virtually non existent, lively feel, I mean what more can you ask for. Its not filling, and it keeps you engaged. I really could have had another on of these as soon as I finished the first, it was just that good.

Overall this may be my favorite of the Cantillon beers I have tried so far. It was just a touch shy of the Beatification in terms of being the funkiest, most sour thing I have ever had. I mean this was just delicious. I a, glad I was able to finally acquire a bottle of this as it was more then worth the weight. I have yet to get bored in this style and I wished more people were able to get into it. So complex and so rich, this is definitely the one to seek out. Well deserved of its reputation and something I would always pick up if I saw it!

4.52/5  rDev +2%

A : Poured a purplish-red color with a good head. It was bubbly and hazy

S : Lots of sour with a grape/wine aroma

T : Sour, sour, and more sour. There was less grape/wine flavor than I was expecting but it provided just enough flavor to add to the sour flavor and not overpower it.

M : Fizzy and thin. Perfect for the taste

D : Except for the price, this is probably my favorite lambic and I would love to have more.

4.52/5  rDev +2%

Deep Burgundy look, wow what a view, redish and hazy, big expectations from the look.

Smell is hugely funky, barnyard, puke, tartness, wine smells, unbelievable that a beer could have this nose!

The taste has all the funk, fresh asparagus, stark dryness, you love it or hate it, I love it.

Easy drinker, must have more, estimate was $35 per bottle, these guys are geniuses aren't they? I can't think of another beer that is more interesting, but more than a glass I'm not sure.

3.78/5  rDev -14.7%

Bottle courtesy of Dewbrewer, I believe. Thank you!!
Pours like a cranberry spritzer with transluscency and a bubbly appearance. Smell is fruity, sour and acidic and slightly funky and sweaty. Taste is very fruity with some grapes, and red fruit like notes. Tart grape, and cranberry come to mind. Smooth and lightly thin in the middle and finishes dry. Carbonation is light but sufficient. Very unique and enjoyable.

3.03/5  rDev -31.6%

It's probably inappropriate for such an avowed sour hater like myself to review this beer. I did the best I could with it, but I absolutely cannot understand the attraction of beers such as this.

Had on tap during 72 hours of Belgium at Max's.

The beer pours a beautiful cherry red color with very good head retention and lacing. Alas, if only this beer would taste as good as it looks. The nose is quite complex, bordering on the bizarre. I get aromas of camel, dog sweat and barn yard. I guess that's a good thing if you're a gueuze/lambic lover. On the palate this beer is flat out undrinkable. The over-riding flavor I get is vinegar and sweaty socks. This is just disgusting. Mouthfeel is decent, but the sour in this beer is just overwhelming. No way I can drink the stuff.

Not my idea of a good beer. Trying to drink something like this is just absolutely no fun. Thank God I only got a very small glass (which even then I was unable to finish).

4.97/5  rDev +12.2%

This beer rivals Fou Founne for best Cantillon ever. I had it at the FARMHOUSE in Emmaus, PA.
Smelled strongly of grapes and typical Cantillon funk.
Poured with almost no head, leaving a thin, foamy ring at the top of the glass. Hold it up to the light. A deep rose color.
Basically, this is one of the best beers I have ever had. The initial taste is all grape sweetness, which slowly gives way to a beautifully balanced acidity. And the almost indescribable Cantillon funk. I remember being on the Cantillon brewery tour, standing in the barrel room, and inhaling the atmosphere. I don't know how they do it. They bottled that smell, and the residual taste it leaves in your mouth. It's damp and musty...old wood and hay. Like the basement of an old house with bad insulation. It transports you.
There's not much else I can say about this beer. I think it was from 2003. One of the best.

4.1/5  rDev -7.4%

This is the second time having a draft sample from the Maproom.

Served in a 12 oz. tulip glass. It's a juicy deep red with purplish tones to it. No head at all this time, virtually still. Wonder if this is an unblended keg...

Aroma is mildly tart, not the exaggerated sharpness or funk i've come to love from Cantillon. Slight vinegar note, but mostly tart grape juice.

Flavor is mild compared to other Cantillons, subdued juicy tartness with a slight pucker. Very light wild element, minor cider character. Clearly defined wine grape flavors, without much wood to balance. Easy to sip or gulp, at the price, i'll be sipping.

4.5/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured a slightly cloudy purplish-red with a rocky pink head.

The aroma was bursting with sour funk, vinous grapes, and citrus notes.

The flavor was tart and sour. The flavors of tart grapes were bright and punchy. The fruit bleneded well with complex brett funk, lacto, and pedio sourness with a slight, but pleasant cheesiness faint in the background. The grape flavor was more on the concord side of things, whereas Vigneronne has more of the white grape flavor if ya know what I mean...

The beer had prickly carbonation with a light mouthfeel. The beer finished very dry and had a mild astringency that complemented the sour charateristics.

A wonderful lambic with some amazing fruit flavors blended in. While this is an outstanding beer, I'm not sure it beats out Fou Foune in my ranks of Cantillon sours.

4.8/5  rDev +8.4%

A: Clear mostly red and pink with a little orange. Clear, watery edges.

S: Funk. Similar to other Cantillon's I've had, but a little less overpowering with more fruit in the nose.

T: Sour, as expected. Grape is definitely present but not overpowering. Well balanced between the lambic sour and the fruit flavor.

M: Fizzy and thin. Fairly clean taste but the sour pleasantly lingers and fades.

D: I could drink this all night. This may be my new favorite lambic.

Highly recommended to any lambic fan, or a fan of good beer in general.

4.58/5  rDev +3.4%

Thanks to Sigurd for the chance to try this.

A- Poured from a 750ml bottle that was gross around the foil. I think this is normal with Cantillon. Pours a reddish-pink with no head.

S- Funky! I get definite barnyard and horsey nose from this. I also get grapes. Odd but interesting.

T- Really nice lambic. Some definite lacto and pedio in this. There is some bretty character in the background though. You get the grape fairly strong. Not as sours as others but medium sour.

M- Higher carbonation which is right for this style of beer. Thinner mouthfeel.

D- I like this beer a lot. Not overly sour and quite drinkable. Really nice lambic from Cantillon.

4.88/5  rDev +10.2%

As an eager inductee into of "The World of Belgian Beers" over the last 18 months or so, I have obviously quickly fallen for the wonders of Rochefort, Westmalle,
de Dolle and what's that other brewery? oh yes, that Westvleteren trio of super-beers :-)
But a word about Cantillon who are right up there with the very best of the Belgians.

Yes, the lambics and gueuzes are an acquired taste but one I will always be grateful I acquired.
I was lucky enough to attend Cantillon's open brewing session on March 1st 2008 and even luckier to come home with a bottle of St. Lamvinus and it's brother Vigneronne. The Vigneronne remains untouched but I have just finished off the St. Lamv and I'm stilll smiling!

These really are a masterpiece in a bottle, I love the unrelenting sourness and the slight fizz and the fruit without really being too fruity plus those strange farmyard smells that are so often mentioned. Our Cantillon guide mentioned (I believe) that there are 10 species of Brettanomyces yeast known and 9 of them fly into their beers via the Brussels air during the overnight natural wild fermentation.

Possibly the best thing to be done with a Merlot grape ...
I urge you to investigate if you haven't already!!

4.47/5  rDev +0.9%

Shared with grub and Lexx. 2004 vintage, 750 ml bottle corked, capped and wrappered, acquired from my man Goldorak, thanks Martin!

Pours a hazed ruby red/pink, thick and fizzy pinkish head forms, leaves some lace on the glass, settles to a thin ring around the glass. Smell is wicked, grapes, fruit, citrus acidity, wine, sulphur, wheat, cherries, funky barnyard, really complex. Taste is crazy, very tart, cherries and concord grapes, oak, vinegar, citrus, bread, wheat, fruity acidic finish. Mouthfeel is light bodied with low to medium carbonation, puckering sour, still very drinkable. Amazing Lambic, deserves all its praise.

Cantillon Saint Lamvinus from Brasserie Cantillon