Cantillon Saint Lamvinus - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Saint LamvinusCantillon Saint Lamvinus

Wants: 1,125
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: truthbrew on 03-20-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Saint Lamvinus Alström Bros
4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

Well, I’m finally going to sample this “Lambic” that has been “Numere Uno” on my top five beers to sample for many years, I’m almost hesitant to sample it as I’ve waited so long I’m afraid I’ll be disappointed “Not” I’m sure.

The beer, after the removal of the black foil, crown & cork from the 750ml green bottle it sets in the flute glass a beautiful dark ruby with a bit of purple, the head is minute, the color and off white, “WOW”, I can smell berry tartness from two feet away. Nose is acerbic, with hints of grapes, cherries, musk, also to me the odor of damp and old moss covered oak, a plethora of aromas in this nose. First taste, “WHAM”, a pungent mouth puckering sourness, with just a tiny bit of sweetness, top is light in feel. Finish is dominated by the tartness with a bit of the berries and grapes coming through, vinous, and absolutely the driest aftertaste I’ve ever experienced. My oh my what a brew this is, and I must say it was worth the wait and the $44.00 I paid for it.

Note: As I was enjoying this great beer, I was thinking what would go good with it to make a perfect Sunday Afternoon, so I slapped in a great Jazz CD (Monk's Dream), and opened another precious gift a Cuban Cigar, I was in Beer/Cigar & Music Nirvana!

Gusler, Apr 23, 2006
4.28/5  rDev -5.5%

(Served in a wide-body flute)
2002 vintage

A- When I peeled of the black foil the cap is very rusted and corroded with a black crust. The cork underneath has micro-bubbles oozing out of the middle forming a tiny layer of beer. When I pulled the cork it was all soaked through and a fine mist of beer covered the table with a pop.

This beer pours a raspberry red hazy body with a good strong carbonation. The head is a thick pinkish foam with peppered with little black specs from the bottle. The head soon dissipates to a mass of bubbles in the center of a thin ring around the rim.

S- The earthy smell of decomposition comes through with some strong notes of barnyard. There is a faint vinous dark red wine note in the background. The strong aroma of pigs comes through more than any other barnyard note.

T- There is a nice tartness that makes me pucker on the first few sips but then starts to blend with some sweet red grape notes which remind me of raspberries. The finish is a dry earthy quality that has a big fizz to the taste. As it warms a bit there are notes of plums in the fruit. The bright fruit taste hangs on the tongue after each sip. With the next glass the flavor changes more and more with each sip. The flavors of fresh red wine grapes of the wine with a faint mellon note before the taste of sweettarts comes through in the finish.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a champagne fizz in the texture.

D- This is an interesting fruit lambic but I thought the aroma was a bit one-dimensional and I didn't get the depth and complexity out of the fruit that I was expecting.

rhoadsrage, Mar 14, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +1.5%

served far too cold at the Monk's Cafe, Philadelphia. I let this sit 50 minutes (eating and drinking in meanwhile) before pouring. Pours dark orange with 15% active head which fades quickly, leaving next to no foam. I was not shown the cork for this bottle, so don't know the vintage.

Smell is a powerful classic cantillon nose, musty sour odor which is is more concentrated than I have found in their other lambics or gueuzes.

Taste is a strong attack of the above, but it fades quickly. It feels somewhat one-dimensional, but given that this is a single aged lambic that is not surprising - this is not a blended beer. It is enchantingly sour but I would like more prolonged taste and/or finish. Not sure what effect temperature issues may have had on this.

This beer has all of the classic taste elements that make cantillon THE traiditional lambic, but in this bottle they were not comprehensive. Just for the nose and front end of taste I would buy as much of this as I could.

Follow-up 4/8/06 After trying this at Monk's Cafe, I sourced some separately and tried it, wondering how the temperature issue at monk's had impacted taste. This bottle, cork-dated 2004, is very similar to the one reviewed above. maybe a little darker in color, less musty in nose, a LOT more carbonation, but the same issues with short taste and finish exist. This does seem to be a characteristic of lambics (this is a blend of 2 lambics AFAIK) versus complexity found in gueuze.

dogfooddog, Mar 13, 2006
4.43/5  rDev -2.2%

Rosy top in the look here, deeper burgundy beneath, under absolutely no head...par for style, though...

Aroma: bracing, yet invigorating, a blast of cherries and grape, twisted by sour...musty, rank, and deep...liking it...a deep well, dominated by fruit. Delectable.

Taste it, already! Oooo! Weeee! Owww! Bold, huge, fat puckeration,...ooo, ooo, ooo! Takes hold of the mouth and doesn't let go! A blend of dark fruits, cherries, and berries, and grapes. Luscious. Sour and flavorful. Mellows a touch, gets easy as we go, gets easier to take..

Not for everyone, but a particular treat for demanding palates, constant play on the tongue that is rewarding for some, punishing for others.

Hard to compare this to anything else on earth. Far beyond any other lambic, a definitive sui generis classic.

2004 bottling. too young? who's to say. worth the $33 spent? probably...

feloniousmonk, Mar 09, 2006
4.33/5  rDev -4.4%

2002 rendition.

This beer has a beautiful red color. There is a head, but very little retention. No lacing to speak of. Small, constant stream of bubbles near the side. Reminds me of champagne. When it gets lower in the glass, more brown colors come through.

Taste and smell have a lot of typical Cantillon funky notes. Fruit flavor peak out at the end, but I would be hard pressed to identify them as Bordeux grapes unless I knew they were Bordeux grapes ahead of time.

Very drinkable, but I like Cantillon funkiness. I've had this before with more grape notes and less funkiness. This shant be the last time I try this one out.

GeoffFromSJ, Feb 13, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +0.4%

Bottle: Poured a medium red color lambic with a huge bubbly head with average retention. Aroma is sour with some touch of sweetness. Taste is quite a surprise with less acidity then I would have expected from Cantillon with a nice balance between the grapes and the lambic. Carbonation is quite strong and body is quite light. Well balance tart and sweetness with the grapes less dominant then expected. Probably one of the only Cantillon that I wouldn’t mind drinking a whole 750ml by myself on a hot summer day.

Phyl21ca, Feb 06, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -11%

750ml purchased at Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA. Black foiled cap (extensively rusted) and cork. Cork noted bottled in 2002.

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, formed a 3/4" light pink head above the clear red brew, and it seems to glow when held up to the light. Head lasted pretty well, with minimal lacing. Aroma is barnyard tart, and apparent as soon as the cork was popped. Quite pervasive. Taste is super tart from the get-go, seems to shock the tongue in the middle, then you cross the hump, and it closes with a very dry grape tinge. Mouthfeel and drinkability are par for the style, although I admit I was hoping for a bit more depth in the fruit character. A nice treat, but I concur with others that the price is somewhat prohibitive.

ppoitras, Nov 11, 2005
3.9/5  rDev -13.9%

750ml bottle. Bottled in 2003.

Beautiful pink/rose color with a white head that didn't last very long, but left some lacing on the glass. Aroma is very "Cantillon-like" (at least from the 3 other Cantillon brews I've tried). Pungent, tart, sour aroma with hints of grapes. Flavor is dry..Acidic, tart flavor and very wine-like qualities. Fruit flavor is complex and lingers forever on the tongue, as the harsh taste nearly numbs your tastebuds. A little sweetness to balance the astringency wouldn't kill these things..but maybe that's just me.
Too tart for me, regardless of the style. Doesn't live up to the hype, as far as I'm concerned, but that would be damn tough to do. The harsh acidity may taste fine to some, but it doesn't impress me.
The bottom line..it's not worth the $35 per bottle.

hero27, Oct 29, 2005
4.65/5  rDev +2.6%

Bottled 2003. Nice shortliving head and almost clear but opalising deep red beercollor. Nose is exceptional, bretty, good farmstable with lots of oak, dry hay and that sweaty horses in the back. Good sourness and obvious grapejuice make it and overall most impressive nose. Taste is sour but after getting used too most impressive too, giving grapes, oak, dry bitterness and sourish aftertaste. Yes this goes all the way and good carbonisation witch is high but fitting making mouthfeel IMO perfect too. Greatly enjoying every sip of it and wished wy girlfriend wouldn't like it so I could enjoy the whole 750 just by myself.

paterlodie, Oct 20, 2005
4.45/5  rDev -1.8%

2003

750ml, capped and corked

Pours with a murky pinkish purple body, fizzy off white head, retention isnt great

Smell, thick winey grapes, some sherbet fizz, slight whiff of cherries. Tart acidity on the nose, slightly funky but very slight.

Taste, sharp tart citrus, almost puckering, followed by a whack of warming rounded red wine grapes. Slight warming merlot alcohol on the finish. Zesty grapefruit throughout also. Some acidity throughout, lots of red wine vinegar type flavours

I'd had a few real lambics and gueuzes before this and they all impressed me, this did also. It grew on me, at first i wasnt overly impressed, i thought the body was very thin and the flavours a bit one dimensional but as you have a few more sips, then a few more it becomes a much more flavourful and deep beer, great stuff. A grade A lambic, but not something i'd drink everyday

cypressbob, Aug 10, 2005
4.4/5  rDev -2.9%

2003... Poured a cloudy reddish color with a small white head that quickly diminished to nothing. Vinous, burgandy grapes, funky brett, and stinky socks aroma. Smooth but tart taste. This is very much wine like, grapes, light sweetness, and finishing with that signature tart Cantillon taste. Lots of tart lemon present in the taste. A very nice fruit lambic and one that I looked long and hard for.

egajdzis, Aug 05, 2005
3.43/5  rDev -24.3%

Pours a pink/red/cranberry. Little light pink head, with some large and very small bubbles mixed together, disappear rather quickly. A small amount of very fine bubbles could be seen with a light swirl. Bacteriology lab smell dominates, with just a hint of sulfur and grape. Taste is acidic and tart. Thin to moderate mouthfeel. Tart, and more tart… no real grape, fruit, or any other flavors of note. The sides of my tongue were screaming, while the rest had nothing to focus on. Rather one dimensional. Dry finish. If you are looking for only tart, acidic character then this is for you if you are willing to pay the $30 price tag. Much more interesting Lambics (including other much less expensive Cantillons) out there for a fraction of the cost.
If you are new to Lambics and expecting or looking for Lambics with a balance of tartness and sweetness, look elsewhere. Also do not assume that since there are grapes on the label, that the product will taste anything like grape.
I enjoyed it, but nothing special.

sacfly, Jul 18, 2005
4.33/5  rDev -4.4%

2003

The liquid was lightly hazy, purplish-pink in hue with a dull ruby-sunshine highlight. The head was white in color; the bubbles never really formed much of a head. At its most put-together moment the big bubbles gathered momentarily and created a head of a half finger. Head retention was poor, the foam rapidly faded to a soapy collar, largely naked in the middle. Sadly there was no subsequent lacing. I really enjoy the color of the liquid and for some reason those big, unsocial bubbles really caught my eye. The incompleteness of the head was intriguing. This is an attractive beer.

The nose is fruity tart and funky with a woody, oaky, winy, bacterial aroma. The fruitiness is distant but rounded and soaked in vinegar. Dark grapes. Orange peel. Lemon zest. Spiced apple. I detect a kiss of wheat bread and raw yeast. At room temperature the bouquet has a hotness to it that really adds depth and it made my eyes water. However, I still find the potency to be too tame. I also expected more articulation from this beer. The D.O.C. once asked, “Is it funky enough?” I have to say no. Inviting, it is. Spectacular the bouquet is not.

The palate is better then the nose, thankfully. In fact this is very tasty. I love the tartness with the potent acidic. Red wine notes are lovely. There is oak-woodiness with like a lactic, bacterial twang. This beer is lip-smacking good. The fruitiness is akin to a crazy-ass vinaigrette with cherries, orange peel, lemon zest, dark grapes, and red apples. The finish is well rounded, tart, and mildly funky but not all that long. It is long enough so I don’t forget what I just swallowed. I want cheese, now! Fruit too. Overall this is damn tasty. Dry. Very refreshing.

Around medium in body, moderate carbonation but the bubbles are active enough to create a zippy mouthfeel. Solid mouthfeel, very good actually but it is not earth shattering… it is missing something, what I’m not sure but it works nevertheless.

This beer is very good. However, at $35 a bottle this is a beer that I most likely won’t be purchasing again. In fact I needed an excuse to validate the expense. My 1000th review on BA seemed like a fitting reason. And so I make the purchase a few months ago. I split my bottle with my girlfriend; it was a lovely experience (considering she is a Belgian rookie). I am happy I tried this rare gem but it really wasn’t as great as I would have liked, regardless of the price. I have no complaints… well, I do wish the nose was louder and deeper and I do wish the palate had more malt. Regardless, I found this beer to be drinkable, likeable, and something I would say is worthy a try.

bditty187, Jun 29, 2005
4.88/5  rDev +7.7%

This is quite a wonder of a beer. Just totally unique. Definately something you should try at least once, and then treat yourself to once in a while when the money comes in. I bought this one for $32 at Premier in Buffalo, and I don't regret it. As I didn't want to drink this one hunkered down in front of a computer, I drank it outside in the breeze, and am reviewing from notes.
Appears a dark purpleish-red color, with a bit of your typical beery-amber color coming through, though it's taken over with the more exotic colors. Fairly brash smell, sharp and stinging, sour, and with hay and horse blanket hints. I don't usually use that adjective (horse blanket), and I usually think that typical lambic "funk" is more of a sweaty sock smell, but this one I have to admit is particularly horsey. Taste is all over the place, but comes together in a really subtle yet complex way. Whereas some labics taste blatantly like a particular fruit (rasperries or cherries, for example) this one has more of a blend of fruity tastes. Grapes, and grape skins, fresh from the vine, yes, but also hints of dark cherries and other fruits. There's also a great fresh wood character in there, that was particularly enhanced by drinking this beer outside, which I highly recommend. Everything about this beer was so fresh, it just feels like you're blending in with the grass outside. That sounded a little hippyish, but that's how I felt when I drank this beer. Super dry mouthfeel makes it all come together. Really a world class beer here, living up to all the hype. Though hype really isn't a good word here, and doesn't fit the beer. The Saint Lamvinus is simply a delicious beer, from one of the world's most distinct breweries. Enjoy it.

twelvsies, Jun 17, 2005
3.7/5  rDev -18.3%

Presentation and Appearance – Big 25.4 oz bottle, with black foil, a cap and a cork. I’m a little concerned that the top of the cork is wet. It pours a magnificent clear crimson in my flute, with a creamy light pink head that has pretty good retention due to the carbonation.

Smell – Sour and yeasty with loads of mixed fruit. It smells similar to the other Cantillon fruit lambics that I have had. Vinegar mixed with wine is the best way I can describe it. Lamvinus really has a lot going on here, incredibly complex stuff.

Taste – Sour, but not as sour as many lambics. The yeast is strong, earthy and musty to balance of the sourness. This is as close to a wine as it is to a beer, with its mix of fruity flavors. Grapes are the main fruit flavor, but there are notes of passion fruit, strawberries and cherries. The more I drink the less I taste the sourness and more the fruit comes out.

Mouthfeel – Pretty light with high carbonation. The sourness makes the sides of the mouth tingle a little adding to the mouthfeel.

Drinkability and Notes – While I respect this beer, the exceedingly high price and sourness make this a one time purchase for me. I enjoyed this but not that much more than the standard Cantillon Kriek. If you have some extra money kicking around, and you love lambics, particularly those from Cantillon, pick one of these up for a special occasion.

OldSock, Jun 16, 2005
4.68/5  rDev +3.3%

Capped and corked 750, cork dated 2003 - This is my 3rd bottle of this stuff that I've been able to enjoy. The first 2 bottles were dispersed during a couple of parties I had, one of which a certain few special BA's were there for and coaxed me to open one up.

This one was shared with just a few friends and I was finally able to sit and write my review notes.

Appearance is of a dark cranberry juice mixed with a splash of grape juice. Has some lively carbonation lineage along the sides. Crunchy threaded bubbles of foam decorate the top in a dusty pinkish white. Very active and popping and light amounts of lacing in thin strings. Shrinks down fairly fast as its surface smoothes out some then to a nothing-like misty haze on top and a thin collaring.

Outstandingly strong aroma, which is nothing out of the ordinary for Cantillon. Lots of brisk and lively sour-tartness fully dancing amoung a floor of acidic fibers. Whole mustard seeds, sharp white cheese, dirty barn floor hay, and vinegar all add to a vineous strength of sour stuff tickling the nose. Like a red wine on lambic steroids.

Taste is no different. Tons of tickling sour-tart-acidic stuff. Vineous vinegars, layers of highly sour bread grains, old cheese, puckering sugars, and lambic yeast all make for a big effect of smooth and delicate dryness. Each sip brings another layer of dryness after the tart stuff clears a path. Not as funky as the smell eludes too. What I found unique and mcuh more to my liking about this compared to other Cantillon's I've had is that this was much more easier on the palate to control. It reminded me of a Saison with a kick of extra sour dough breads, yeast, and an addition of grapes.

Feathery medium/heavy dryness and tart supplied, multi-layered, acidicness keep this sucker pretty tongue tingly and cheek-scraped dry. One of the things I couldn't quite get used to was its overall dryness. The sour stuff leads right into it and it takes every corpuscle in your mouth prisoner as it ghostly leaves all sorts of weird cottony-tart left overs. Again, like a grapey saison.

Drinkability is OK, takes a good while to get used to. It has a nice saison quality to it that I tend to like over the other true lambics that Cantillon is known for. Think of it as a vinegar spiked red wine blended with a saison.

tavernjef, May 31, 2005
4.2/5  rDev -7.3%

The beer poured into the chalice a crystal clear rose with a white and very low yet persistant head which laced the glass.

The aroma was very much lambic with a distinct acetic sourness and some rubbery phenolic aromatics. The aroma was fruity with light grapeskin and seeds. The barnyard aroma was mostly sweaty and oaky with some bad cheese thrown in for good measure.

The flavor was sour but not overly so. The flavor dried quickly on the palate leaving a distinct grape flavoring. The flavor also contained a grape skin and grape seed flavor that were neither overdone. The flavor also contained some mishandled cheese flavors that melded well with the other flavors.

The finish was dry with lasting grape and sour flavors long into the aftertaste. The body was medium and fine.

A very expensive beer for no more complexity than it exibited. Based upon the reviews this beer had garnered I expected more. The place where this beer excelled was drinkability. In no other aspect could I take it beyond good.

750 ml corked and capped bottle. Bottled in 2003 on the cork. Above and on the cork was some thick brown liquid. Purchased at Green's in Atlanta, GA for $28.75. Most expensive single bottle of beer I ever purchased. Perhaps it should be sampled fresher, but without ripping off the foil, there was no way to know the age till the top is popped and the cork was extracted.

GCBrewingCo, May 28, 2005
4.3/5  rDev -5.1%

pours a magnificant ruby purple color. Smells tart and of lambic funk. Some slight grape and wine aromas are present. There is some grape flavor up front, but mainly dominated by the lactic acid flavor. Very tart and is really lip smackingly good. Very dry in the mouth. This is much like a very tart wine. I can't say I have anything like this before. The sour grape flavor is very outstanding and unique. But priced a little high in my mind.

bnuttz, May 05, 2005
4.35/5  rDev -4%

Expensive. Powerful sourness from tannins of the skins, with bursting aroma of oak and berries. Beautiful. The Palate cleaner. Not for the novice, but certainly a hit. Astringent yet balanced. I saved this for the boys, Radekfest 05 sample 26. An experience to be had once.

Sammy, Apr 04, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +1.5%

Cork says 2003: This beer poured a couldy amber color with red undertones and formed a light pink bubbly head that left circular lace as it subsided. An aroma of lambic elements, with a definate red wine character to it. The flavor is a very traditional non sweet lambic with a good deal of sourness to it without overpowering it. The body is medium light and slightly heavier than most lambics. The finish is quite astrigent with some if the winelike sourness present. This is a very outstanding beer.

Wildman, Mar 14, 2005
4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

Cork says 2003.

Beautiful looking hue of scarlet. With a dash of that cranapple juice look to it. This fucker literally radiates. There's a bubbly light pink froth that caps it off quite nicely. It recedes to a thick, bubbly collar that leaves sporadic clingy lace.

Aroma is quite nice. Soft notes of vinegar, mustiness and barnyard funk are complented nicely by some purple grape sweetness and wine characteristics.

I find that this lambic really finds a happy medium between sour and sweet. It's got that horse blanket and farmyard funk going on. And the acidic properties, acetic acid, etc... but to a lesser extent than most Cantillon offerings. On the flip side, this beer also has a touch of grape fruit sweetness and red wine. And it's an interaction that works to perfection.

This beer is Bone Dry. Sahara Desert Dry. And the carbonation is ever so subtle. The body is about medium or so. And this beer leaves you wanting more, sip after sip, until it is gone...

Bighuge, Feb 06, 2005
4.85/5  rDev +7.1%

Had this at Rich O's Public House and shared with three other people. $40 for a 750mL bottle. Good thing we shared it. Pours a brilliant light red color with a very small head, which was expected. Lots of funky stuff going on in the aroma. Fruit (grape), sweetness, sour, acid, it's all there. The flavor was very much the same as the aroma predicted. Strange tart/sour character with a great background flavor from the grapes. Very complex. There's a lot going on here. Very enjoyable. Very odd as well. I'm glad I got to try this one.

clvand0, Jan 16, 2005
4.85/5  rDev +7.1%

$39.75 at Rich-O's Public House in New Albany, IN. 750mL bottle shared with kmpitz2, clvand0, and another fellow homebrewer and poured into a chalice. It pours a light burgundy color with one finger of head that dies down quickly. There is a touch of lacing left on the glass. The smell has that great Cantillon funk with some red grape sweetness. It really draws you in and keeps you wanting more and more. The taste is amazing. Lots of sweet and sour, with some funkiness. Dry grapes smashed under a horse's saddle. The complexity almost made my head explode. The mouthfeel had sizzling carbonation that just popped on the tongue, unlike any other beer I've experienced. The drinkability was through the roof. Going through a few of these would be hard on the wallet, but easy on the palate. This beer is everything a lambic was meant to be.

SheepNutz, Jan 11, 2005
4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

This rare treat was shared between 4 people last night, and I have to believe that I will have to drink this beer again, without the other 3 glasses being shared. The liquid pours a beautiful rosey ruby color with a finger of spritzey head that immediately fallst to ring the beer with large bubbles. This one is very wine-like in the color, somewhere between a blush and a dark red. The nose was true to the Cantillon form. Funky, sour, acidic, but with a nice fruity grape coming in behind the funk, smelling so damn good. The flavor. What can one say about liquid nirvana; something so awesome that I would be happy to drink exclusively for the rest of my life. What struck me most was how mellow and smooth this was. I've had a few of the Cantillon line, but this was every bit as funkey, but much more mellow. Still sour and acidic and tart, but not puckering. The grape flavor hits secondarily behind the initial burst of sour and acid, but it serves to polish this beer like the finest diamond. The feel was a weak moderate to moderate, wtih a light, dancing bubble on my tonge. Nothing that got in the way, but enough to know it was there. Awesome balance on the pucker factor. Wow...wow, wow, wow. If there is anything left to say about the drinkability that can't be drawn from what I've already said, I don't know what it would be. Hunt this beer. Drink this beer. Love this beer. So good.

kmpitz2, Jan 08, 2005
4.35/5  rDev -4%

This special treat was brought to a beer party by someone else. Wow, what a treat. It pours a pinkish red with a swirling white head of tiny bubbles. The aroma is yeasty sweet with a dry wine scent. The flavor is a sour, dry, and fruity red wine flavor. It is pungent and tart with notes of pear flesh. Going back and reading the bottle I saw that this beer is made with Bordeaux grapes. This is unlike any beer I've ever had and probably will ever have again. Excellent beer.

BrewMaster, Nov 19, 2004