Cantillon Saint Lamvinus - Brasserie Cantillon

Wants: 1,205
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: truthbrew on 03-20-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Saint Lamvinus Alström Bros
4.9/5  rDev +8.2%

Wow, this is quite the gem, truly, looks like merlot, a little lighter, but brighter, prettier, good sexy meld of purple and pink. The head is pink, and a good 1"+ deep. Truly a masterpiece worth looking at. Solid purple grape aroma, usual suspects of dry lemon.

Complex. Grapes, tannins, meld to produce a dry fruit presence, all the great sour flavor, none of it getting in the way of each other. A little bit of berry note to it. Just the right amount of tartness, substantial. I thought it was very clean, not barnyardy or horse blanket stuff you can read in almost every review.

Damn expensive stuff, but sometimes, you or she is worth it. Normally, I think the year round lineup from Cantillon (and Fantome) was usually superior to the harder to gets, but this one seems to be the exception to the rule.

Damn fine on a day at the end of summer, thanks Labor Day weekend 2011. This and 3F schaerbeekse in heaven.

EdIT: got to try some on tap at triple rock, wow, this beer just keeps getting better every time I drink it.

4.24/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle dated 21 NOV 12.

A - Opaque medium purplish-red colour with one finger of raspberry red head.

S - Sour/vinegar notes with grape and oak.

T - Tart and slightly sour. A very light vinegar-like sourness. A big grape musk flavour is present, as expected and some oak/woody notes add another layer of complexity.

M - Very dry. Medium body. Light to moderate carbonation.

4.18/5  rDev -7.7%

2008 bottle thanks to shawnm213.

750ml poured into a Duvel Tulip glass.

A - Pours a dark reddish-purple with a nice white-light purple head. Good retention.

S - Funk, red grapes, wine-like.

T - Tart red grapes, some woody flavor, funky and musty.

D - Smooth, yet tart. Light body, good carbonation.

O - Nice balance between sour and soft.

4.35/5  rDev -4%

On-tap at Capone's in Norristown, PA.

Pours a hazy deep ruby color with opaque orange highlights and wisps of tiny white bubbles on top. The bubbles dissipate fairly quickly leaving a glassy top.

Smells of mild red wine vinegar with good amounts of Concord grapes and hints of barnyard funk.

Tastes very good. The flavor profile is comparable to not-quite-ripe Concord grapes, that is the sweetness is underlying but light enough to allow other flavors to shine uninhibited. The vinegar is barely present, instead giving way more to the funkiness that comes in midway through the sip and carries through to a decidedly tart ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a slick thickness with very light carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could very easily have a few more.

Overall I've been wary of the price tag of a bottle of this for a while and I'm glad I finally had the opportunity to try it on-tap. Very well worth the shot.

4.38/5  rDev -3.3%

corked and capped 750ml bottle poured into tulip oct11 2010

A pours pink out of the bottle and it sits in the glass with a deep ruby red glow nice color for sure, head fizzes out pretty quick but from my limited understanding that's on par for the style

S quite funky, I expected much more of a fruity wine smell, it did have a little bit of a fruity wine thing going for it with some vinegar but the barnyard funk is in control and that's fine with me

T still big funk and much more from the grapes, not so much a wine flavor but a sour cherry and purple candy taste that's quite nice. Big earthy flavors to go along with it, a fair bit going on here on top of the heavy funk

M to say this was sour and tart would be an understatement, big carbonation gives it some body and I think I'll be tasting it tomorrow the flavors stick to your mouth pretty well

D not something I'd drink all day but I had no problem drinking the big bottle by myself

this one was bottled a year ago and I'm very curious how the flavors change over time but I doubt I'll find out because this stuff costs big bucks. Great stuff though if you like sour funk

4.35/5  rDev -4%

750mL bottle, corked and capped, purchased for $29.99 at Grapes of Mirth in Columbus. The beer is hazy, kind of muted pink reddish colored, with an off-white head tinted just a little pink. I guess it's kind of stereotyping but this really smells like a funky barnhouse. I'm not sure I can smell anything grape-like, but I get earthy mustiness and a little vinegar. This lambic is not as sour as I expected but still has a little mouth pucker after each sip. Mostly it's funky and dry, maybe a little fruit but I couldn't nail the exact ingredient without reading the bottle (Bordeaux grapes). Light bodied with low carbonation, addictive and tasty.

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

Well, I’m finally going to sample this “Lambic” that has been “Numere Uno” on my top five beers to sample for many years, I’m almost hesitant to sample it as I’ve waited so long I’m afraid I’ll be disappointed “Not” I’m sure.

The beer, after the removal of the black foil, crown & cork from the 750ml green bottle it sets in the flute glass a beautiful dark ruby with a bit of purple, the head is minute, the color and off white, “WOW”, I can smell berry tartness from two feet away. Nose is acerbic, with hints of grapes, cherries, musk, also to me the odor of damp and old moss covered oak, a plethora of aromas in this nose. First taste, “WHAM”, a pungent mouth puckering sourness, with just a tiny bit of sweetness, top is light in feel. Finish is dominated by the tartness with a bit of the berries and grapes coming through, vinous, and absolutely the driest aftertaste I’ve ever experienced. My oh my what a brew this is, and I must say it was worth the wait and the $44.00 I paid for it.

Note: As I was enjoying this great beer, I was thinking what would go good with it to make a perfect Sunday Afternoon, so I slapped in a great Jazz CD (Monk's Dream), and opened another precious gift a Cuban Cigar, I was in Beer/Cigar & Music Nirvana!

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

4.25/5  rDev -6.2%

2010 vintage. This one pours a lighter bodied dark cranberry red in color with a one finger slightly pink head. The nose is dry and musty with a nice amount of funk and acidity. The flavors are dry and tart and it has nice acidity. As a wine drinker, I must say that this has zero characteristics of a Merlot so it's nice to see the difference between the beer and wine. This one is musty as hell. It drinks light with nice acidity but I can't really like the flavor. It doesn't have enough fruit character for my liking. This is the best vintage I've had so far. The '07 smells like puppy farts in my opinion, as in "I just fed my dog too many rawhides" puppy farts. I definitely prefer this vintage to that one.

4.45/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

on tap at monks during the cantillon mad monday - I tried both 06 and 08 vintages

Pours a deep reddish and purple color with some burnt hues, but with brighter cherry tones. There's a small amount of haziness, just enough to keep you from seeing all the way through. A thin white head fades out leaving little lacing.

Plenty of sourness leaps out of the glass into the nose, driven by merlot grapes with ripeness. Some earthy and oak elements, heavy funk and notes of acid. Definitely a red wine presence, although it retains a character I've come to expect from Cantillon.

Biting sourness up front with grape and some cherry-like notes. Red wine character with oaky barrel flavors and some earthy, darker tones. Some funky hints, but more acidic and sour throughout. Finishes with some enamel stripping dryness and lingering tart dark grapes.

Medium bodied, nicely carbonated, dry and prickly on the tongue, lingers for an extended period. A wonderful fruit lambic from Cantillon with great sour character but still enough flavor to carry the aggressiveness.

3.85/5  rDev -15%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

It pours a dark ruby red almost purple, with a very light pink. Not much head or lacing but it is surprisingly clear.

The aroma is very tart and funky and overwhelming from the start. Distinct horse blanket, tough to pick out any particular fruits. Its almost too strong in a negative way.

The taste is very light compared the aroma, the only traditional tart you get from a lambic is at the end and even then its still a light tart. There are notes of blackberries and cranbberries.

There is an ok mouthfeel nothing special and its drinkable for a lambic just becuase of its lack of s strong sourness.

3.1/5  rDev -31.6%

On draught at Belmont Station's Puckerfest, served in a flute glass, Saint Lamvinus is a chill hazed purple with a thin white collar. Very pretty color.

Smell is pretty muted, some sourness with a vinous tang.

Taste is also pretty muted sourness, a bit too heavy on the wine for my taste, slightly rubbery, with an acidic bite.

Mouthfeel is dry and slick, with a medium body.

Drinkablity is wasn't to high for me, with to much wine and not enough funk. Still, I assume this barrel isn't aged beyond the brewery, and will probably grab a bottle at some point to stash for a few years. Maybe not worth the price of admission by the bottle though, it was $7 or 8 for a 10-12 oz pour at Belmont.

4.78/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 21 November 2010 courtesy of mrand01.

Pours a translucent dark crimson with bright ruby red hues. Looks a shade lighter than cranberry juice, with a bit of tawny paleness to it. Small soapy/bubbly off-white head that slowly dissipates laving some light spotty lacing.

Aromas begin with sour grapes and earthy mustiness. Then I get some vinegar, oak and with some acidic citrus and yeasty barnyard funk. Light stone/tropical fruits like peach and pineapple are coming to mind as well.

The tastes begin with plenty of lactic/citric acidity to go along with sweet and sour grapes. The oak and Brett offer up some nice tannins and funk as well. Not overly tart but def reminds me a little of a sour patch kid that has been left out and is getting a little stale and moldy. As it warms all the flavors really start to make themselves known; must, vinegar, earth and funk throughout, yet never overpowering or offensive.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium to low carbonation. Finish is dry and tart but not overly so. Oak and brett flavors linger ever so slightly on the palate.

Overall this is definitely one of the best, if not the best Lambic I have ever had. It hits right in my wheelhouse; funky, sour, tart, fruity, tannic but none are over the top or out of balance. Really one of the best beers I have ever had because the flavor profile is so straight-forward and yet so complex at the same time because each of the subtle flavors makes an appearance as you sample. Def worth trading for/seeking out and laying out a little extra if need be to obtain.

4.1/5  rDev -9.5%

750 ml bottle split and poured into a Delirium tulip. 5% ABV, Bottled 18 November 2008, Instructions on temperature and pouring.

Thanks to bnieman's dad for sharing this expensive beer on his b-day!

A - This beer is majorly carbonated. Evidence comes from a large "pop" exploding on the cork release. A big puffy pink tinted head appears on top of the clear amber-pinkish color. Low retention but it leaves small bits of lace and a hefty ring.

S - St. Lamvinus is bursting with a funky nose of oaky wood and a massively funky barnyard and horse blanked Brett scent. The only thing keeping it from perfection in aroma is a burnt rubber hint that arose from a swirl. A small kiss of red grape is there too but not a prominent factor at all.

T - The flavor is almost overpoweringly tart with strong red grapes with a massively funky oak, horse blanket, and a hint of burned rubber on the finish. Strong acidity and bitterness as well. The funk overtakes all of the other things to the point of destroying any typical "beer" malt/hop flavor.

M - Very light-bodied and extremely tart with a crisp acidic finish and an overpowering funk to it.

D - It's pretty drinkable for how insanely funky it is. At 5%, it's easily drinkable in that regard. You've really gotta like funky Brett beers to enjoy this one.

4.28/5  rDev -5.5%

A: poured a pinkish purple in color with a very thin head which left a little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: you could definitely sniff out the Merlot grapes in the nose alongside the signature oakum funky character, some acidity and a slight amount of citrus as well.

T: the flavor was even dominated by the Merlot grapes, tons of funky horse blanket character, oakum accents and a touch of citrus.

M: the brew was light to medium in body with a low amount of carbonation which had a fruity, oaky, funky, and sour finish.

D: the beer was drinking amazing and a great sour bite. Very glad to have this one again.

4.25/5  rDev -6.2%