Cantillon Saint Lamvinus - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Saint LamvinusCantillon Saint Lamvinus

Wants: 1,088
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: truthbrew on 03-20-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Saint Lamvinus Alström Bros
John_M

Oregon

2.93/5  rDev -35.3%

It's probably inappropriate for such an avowed sour hater like myself to review this beer. I did the best I could with it, but I absolutely cannot understand the attraction of beers such as this.

Had on tap during 72 hours of Belgium at Max's.

The beer pours a beautiful cherry red color with very good head retention and lacing. Alas, if only this beer would taste as good as it looks. The nose is quite complex, bordering on the bizarre. I get aromas of camel, dog sweat and barn yard. I guess that's a good thing if you're a gueuze/lambic lover. On the palate this beer is flat out undrinkable. The over-riding flavor I get is vinegar and sweaty socks. This is just disgusting. Mouthfeel is decent, but the sour in this beer is just overwhelming. No way I can drink the stuff.

Not my idea of a good beer. Trying to drink something like this is just absolutely no fun. Thank God I only got a very small glass (which even then I was unable to finish).

04-02-2008 18:18:32 | More by John_M

01-08-2013 13:50:01 | More by Gonzoillini
smakawhat

Maryland

4.61/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle at Churchkey DC into a snifter glass.

Deep solid cherry colored body, orb glowing, with a little hint of pink throughout. Slight pink collar and thin ring presented. Looks like a jewel.

Fantastic bouquet on the beer. Great notes of light sweetness of cherry, bright funk and dry peppery action. Good chewy sense of malt (wheat?), subtle and balanced, with a nice effervescent and clean quality. This looks like something good.

Palate comes with a great champagne crispness but a decent malt depth to carry forward. Carbonated pepper and mild sourness. Tart fruit action of red raspberry and cherry, with subtle aromatics. Tastes like dusted funky fruit in a bowl, and champagne.

Overall a subtle yeast funk character and chewy texture to match with floating funky red fruit in a champagne glass. But it's beer. It's a winner and one of the most enjoyable Cantillon beers I've had.

09-14-2013 23:18:09 | More by smakawhat
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

4.45/5  rDev -1.8%

Shared with grub and Lexx. 2004 vintage, 750 ml bottle corked, capped and wrappered, acquired from my man Goldorak, thanks Martin!

Pours a hazed ruby red/pink, thick and fizzy pinkish head forms, leaves some lace on the glass, settles to a thin ring around the glass. Smell is wicked, grapes, fruit, citrus acidity, wine, sulphur, wheat, cherries, funky barnyard, really complex. Taste is crazy, very tart, cherries and concord grapes, oak, vinegar, citrus, bread, wheat, fruity acidic finish. Mouthfeel is light bodied with low to medium carbonation, puckering sour, still very drinkable. Amazing Lambic, deserves all its praise.

02-21-2008 23:55:47 | More by Viggo
mdaschaf

Washington

4.48/5  rDev -1.1%

Review from notes. Thanks to Shane for sharing this one!

A: Poured a hazy reddish/purple with a small pink-hued head on top that reduced quickly leaving a thin cap on top. Minimal lacing.

S: Lots of dark red stone fruits, some grapes and a little cherry. Very tannic, with some wood and a definite sour/tartness.

T: Fantastic level of sourness/tartness on the flavor profile. There is a bit of funk, but the acidity kind of cuts it. There is plenty more red grape, cherry, and red wine like flavors.

M: Medium bodied with active carbonation, pretty much spot on.

O: Extremely impressed with this lambic. Wasn't sure how I would like it compared to others I have had, but St. Lamvinus is outstanding.

07-23-2012 17:21:11 | More by mdaschaf
Bighuge

Cork says 2003.

Beautiful looking hue of scarlet. With a dash of that cranapple juice look to it. This fucker literally radiates. There's a bubbly light pink froth that caps it off quite nicely. It recedes to a thick, bubbly collar that leaves sporadic clingy lace.

Aroma is quite nice. Soft notes of vinegar, mustiness and barnyard funk are complented nicely by some purple grape sweetness and wine characteristics.

I find that this lambic really finds a happy medium between sour and sweet. It's got that horse blanket and farmyard funk going on. And the acidic properties, acetic acid, etc... but to a lesser extent than most Cantillon offerings. On the flip side, this beer also has a touch of grape fruit sweetness and red wine. And it's an interaction that works to perfection.

This beer is Bone Dry. Sahara Desert Dry. And the carbonation is ever so subtle. The body is about medium or so. And this beer leaves you wanting more, sip after sip, until it is gone...

02-06-2005 04:46:44 | More by Bighuge
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

4.9/5  rDev +8.2%

Wow, this is quite the gem, truly, looks like merlot, a little lighter, but brighter, prettier, good sexy meld of purple and pink. The head is pink, and a good 1"+ deep. Truly a masterpiece worth looking at. Solid purple grape aroma, usual suspects of dry lemon.

Complex. Grapes, tannins, meld to produce a dry fruit presence, all the great sour flavor, none of it getting in the way of each other. A little bit of berry note to it. Just the right amount of tartness, substantial. I thought it was very clean, not barnyardy or horse blanket stuff you can read in almost every review.

Damn expensive stuff, but sometimes, you or she is worth it. Normally, I think the year round lineup from Cantillon (and Fantome) was usually superior to the harder to gets, but this one seems to be the exception to the rule.

Damn fine on a day at the end of summer, thanks Labor Day weekend 2011. This and 3F schaerbeekse in heaven.

EdIT: got to try some on tap at triple rock, wow, this beer just keeps getting better every time I drink it.

09-05-2011 05:55:28 | More by Beerandraiderfan
DrJay

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%

So here it is, review #1000. I had to treat myself to my first Cantillon product. I enjoyed this one with my wife Piera and Amit (who was visiting from Singapore).
Ruby red with garnet highlights and a light haze, the foam was a vibrant pink and quite fluffy. As the head settled to a thick ring, there was a bit of lacing, but nothing that really stuck. Incredible, complex aroma. There was strong barnyard funkiness, the distinct smell of horse, and a little vinegar. Also thrown in were light tobacco notes, some tart fruit, and a vinous character (like a merlot or burgundy). Very tart flavour, like raspberry seeds with a bit of sour cherry thrown into the mix. Puckering. Some earthiness became evident as it warmed, with notes of leather and barnyard increasing. Sweet grapes gave it a bit of red wine quality as well. Crisp carbonation to start, but this faded quickly to a gentler texture mid-sip. Nice body with significant dryness. I really enjoyed this and I'm glad I have some more Cantillon bottles to try out soon. There was a lot of complexity if you looked for it, but on the surface was a wonderful tart beer that was quite drinkable.

02-11-2007 00:14:50 | More by DrJay
glid02

Georgia

4.35/5  rDev -4%

On-tap at Capone's in Norristown, PA.

Pours a hazy deep ruby color with opaque orange highlights and wisps of tiny white bubbles on top. The bubbles dissipate fairly quickly leaving a glassy top.

Smells of mild red wine vinegar with good amounts of Concord grapes and hints of barnyard funk.

Tastes very good. The flavor profile is comparable to not-quite-ripe Concord grapes, that is the sweetness is underlying but light enough to allow other flavors to shine uninhibited. The vinegar is barely present, instead giving way more to the funkiness that comes in midway through the sip and carries through to a decidedly tart ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a slick thickness with very light carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could very easily have a few more.

Overall I've been wary of the price tag of a bottle of this for a while and I'm glad I finally had the opportunity to try it on-tap. Very well worth the shot.

01-11-2010 21:26:49 | More by glid02
afsdan

Colorado

03-21-2014 02:36:52 | More by afsdan
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev -9.5%

2008 vintage.

A: Rosee with a pinkish head, thin ring of retention, slight leg.

S: Pleasant tart aroma with hints of barnyard funk & vinegar.

T: Wine & cider with hints of vinegar, grape, modest tartness with a slight hint of bitterness.

M: Light body is very dry with a slight acidity.

D: A good drinker.

I'm not a fan of tartness, but I've been itching to try this for a while. Thanks bobsy!

05-05-2010 01:04:58 | More by Derek
billab914

4.3/5  rDev -5.1%

Decided to open something special tonight to celebrate cooking in our remodeled kitchen for the first time. Poured from a 750ml bottle into my lost Abbey stemware. Poured a lighter red and purpleish grape color with a thin fizzy head to it.

The aroma is tart and sour with a modest acidicness to it. Some woody oak flavors are present in it as well. The grapes are relatively faint in the aroma, but do come through a bit.

The taste is tart and relatively sour with a sharp acidicness coming through towards the finish. The grapes come through more in the taste then they did in the aroma and provide a nice complexity to the beer. Very nice and complex flavor overall and everything comes together very nicely.

The mouthfeel is on the lighter side with carbonation being high. Drinkability is good, it had some great flavors and depth to it overall. Was a very good choice to celebrate with the evening. One of the better sours I've had.

09-08-2010 00:32:25 | More by billab914
Gusler

Arizona

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

Well, I’m finally going to sample this “Lambic” that has been “Numere Uno” on my top five beers to sample for many years, I’m almost hesitant to sample it as I’ve waited so long I’m afraid I’ll be disappointed “Not” I’m sure.

The beer, after the removal of the black foil, crown & cork from the 750ml green bottle it sets in the flute glass a beautiful dark ruby with a bit of purple, the head is minute, the color and off white, “WOW”, I can smell berry tartness from two feet away. Nose is acerbic, with hints of grapes, cherries, musk, also to me the odor of damp and old moss covered oak, a plethora of aromas in this nose. First taste, “WHAM”, a pungent mouth puckering sourness, with just a tiny bit of sweetness, top is light in feel. Finish is dominated by the tartness with a bit of the berries and grapes coming through, vinous, and absolutely the driest aftertaste I’ve ever experienced. My oh my what a brew this is, and I must say it was worth the wait and the $44.00 I paid for it.

Note: As I was enjoying this great beer, I was thinking what would go good with it to make a perfect Sunday Afternoon, so I slapped in a great Jazz CD (Monk's Dream), and opened another precious gift a Cuban Cigar, I was in Beer/Cigar & Music Nirvana!

04-23-2006 20:40:22 | More by Gusler
HopHead84

4.68/5  rDev +3.3%

Part of a sour tasting. This stood out as one of the best of the night.

The beer is a beautiful pinkish grapefruit color with a large white head that slowly recedes.

The Brett is very apparent in the aroma. Notes of horse blanket, musty barnyard, and wet dog are strong. Adding to the superb brett character are the tart grapes that have vinegar notes with some acidity. The aroma has a hint of sweetness.

The flavor also has a lot of musty barn yard Brett to it with some tannin and a little vinegar. The grapes are slightly sweet and very tart, mouthpuckeringly so. I'm looking at my notes and the next word looks like fatsick. I think that should read fantastic. Other flavors are of oak and a hint of citrus to add to the funky grape flavors. The finish is dry, sour, and tart.

Light - Medium bodied with a medium level of carbonation and a very dry mouthfeel. A superb beer. I'm very excited that a new batch should be around soon.

04-13-2009 21:01:03 | More by HopHead84

Washington

05-20-2013 00:37:48 | More by dirtylou
TurdFurgison

4.35/5  rDev -4%

750mL bottle, corked and capped, purchased for $29.99 at Grapes of Mirth in Columbus. The beer is hazy, kind of muted pink reddish colored, with an off-white head tinted just a little pink. I guess it's kind of stereotyping but this really smells like a funky barnhouse. I'm not sure I can smell anything grape-like, but I get earthy mustiness and a little vinegar. This lambic is not as sour as I expected but still has a little mouth pucker after each sip. Mostly it's funky and dry, maybe a little fruit but I couldn't nail the exact ingredient without reading the bottle (Bordeaux grapes). Light bodied with low carbonation, addictive and tasty.

03-21-2009 23:58:57 | More by TurdFurgison
drummermattie02

01-19-2013 05:17:17 | More by drummermattie02
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

4.38/5  rDev -3.3%

corked and capped 750ml bottle poured into tulip oct11 2010

A pours pink out of the bottle and it sits in the glass with a deep ruby red glow nice color for sure, head fizzes out pretty quick but from my limited understanding that's on par for the style

S quite funky, I expected much more of a fruity wine smell, it did have a little bit of a fruity wine thing going for it with some vinegar but the barnyard funk is in control and that's fine with me

T still big funk and much more from the grapes, not so much a wine flavor but a sour cherry and purple candy taste that's quite nice. Big earthy flavors to go along with it, a fair bit going on here on top of the heavy funk

M to say this was sour and tart would be an understatement, big carbonation gives it some body and I think I'll be tasting it tomorrow the flavors stick to your mouth pretty well

D not something I'd drink all day but I had no problem drinking the big bottle by myself

this one was bottled a year ago and I'm very curious how the flavors change over time but I doubt I'll find out because this stuff costs big bucks. Great stuff though if you like sour funk

10-10-2010 20:41:34 | More by wordemupg
xnicknj

4.45/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

on tap at monks during the cantillon mad monday - I tried both 06 and 08 vintages

Pours a deep reddish and purple color with some burnt hues, but with brighter cherry tones. There's a small amount of haziness, just enough to keep you from seeing all the way through. A thin white head fades out leaving little lacing.

Plenty of sourness leaps out of the glass into the nose, driven by merlot grapes with ripeness. Some earthy and oak elements, heavy funk and notes of acid. Definitely a red wine presence, although it retains a character I've come to expect from Cantillon.

Biting sourness up front with grape and some cherry-like notes. Red wine character with oaky barrel flavors and some earthy, darker tones. Some funky hints, but more acidic and sour throughout. Finishes with some enamel stripping dryness and lingering tart dark grapes.

Medium bodied, nicely carbonated, dry and prickly on the tongue, lingers for an extended period. A wonderful fruit lambic from Cantillon with great sour character but still enough flavor to carry the aggressiveness.

08-10-2011 04:03:37 | More by xnicknj
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

Served on tap at Ebeneezer's

Poured into a wine glass. dark ruby color with almost no head at all. Aroma is very vinous with lots of sour funk. Tastes how you would think it was going to taste. Lots of lactic sourness some barnyard funk and lots of red wine taste. Puckering mouthfeel, crisp body. It's hard to draw the line here. I enjoyed this brew, but thought it might have been too wine like.

08-02-2008 04:32:48 | More by johnnnniee
ccrida

Oregon

3.1/5  rDev -31.6%

On draught at Belmont Station's Puckerfest, served in a flute glass, Saint Lamvinus is a chill hazed purple with a thin white collar. Very pretty color.

Smell is pretty muted, some sourness with a vinous tang.

Taste is also pretty muted sourness, a bit too heavy on the wine for my taste, slightly rubbery, with an acidic bite.

Mouthfeel is dry and slick, with a medium body.

Drinkablity is wasn't to high for me, with to much wine and not enough funk. Still, I assume this barrel isn't aged beyond the brewery, and will probably grab a bottle at some point to stash for a few years. Maybe not worth the price of admission by the bottle though, it was $7 or 8 for a 10-12 oz pour at Belmont.

07-18-2008 20:01:53 | More by ccrida