Lion Stout - Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited

Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited visit their website
Sri Lanka

Foreign / Export Stout |  8.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lion Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 874 | Hads: 1,516
3.45/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up at the LCBO.

Into my snifter.

Note: My bottle reads Sinha Stout instead of Lion Stout, but it is the same brew.

APPEARANCE: Pours black and opaque with next to no carbonation. Pours a medium sized one-finger thick tan head that slowly dissipates to a think film and remains for the entire trip. Minimal to no lacing. Good looking, but needs some lacing to make it a beauty.

SMELL: Roasted barley malt with a nice smokiness in the background. Some coffee notes as well.

TASTE: Roasted barley malt and some dark fruit as well. Mild dark fruit in the aftertaste, but it's not overpowering. Some alcohol too but it's certainly well hidden for the ABV.

PALATE: Medium-thin body, slightly thinner than expected. Would like it to be a little thicker. Medium carbonation and a slightly alcoholic bite in the end. Goes down pretty smooth regardless and finishes on the sticky side of dry.

OVERALL: A pretty good export stout. Drinkable but not memorable. I could have a few of these and it's definately worth re-visiting, but there are certainly better examples out there. (1,092 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -13.4%

Im not typically a can beer drinker. I put together a random 6 pack from Total Wines. Ive seen this beer before, and finally decided to give it a try. It is your straight forward stout with a dark, creamy color, smoother taste, nice aroma, and that unmistakable stout taste. However, this beer is nothing to write home about. It is not bad, but it is not anything I'll remember 5 years from now. (395 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -13.6%

Black color with a billowing 2 finger head that camps out for a few minutes before settling to a ring. Smell is roasted malts and dark fruit. Taste is ashtray, raisins, wood, lots of hops, and coffee grounds. Would be pretty damn solid but the ash holds it back just a bit. Medium bodied, normal for the style. This beer packs a lot of flavor but it is not a good enough flavor to justify drinking at 8%. If this were 6% I would probably rate it higher since then it would be sessionable, but at this high of ABV I would rather have something else. (548 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured from 11.2 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Pours a dark brown, but in the glass is completely opaque. Nice 2 finger head chocolate milk colored head that sticks around for a bit, falls to a thick film. Great lacing. Usually don't see this kind of retention/lacing from a stout.

S - Extremely buttery aroma with a touch of roasted character; almost a mesquite wood chip thing going on. A little sourness shining through reminiscent of a porter.

T - Good, but more bland and mild than I'd expected. Mostly a subdued roasted taste along with buttery notes from the nose. Some coffee kicks in near the finish, with a touch of caramel. Finish is only slightly bitter and fairly clean for a stout. Borderlines on sweet. ABV is hidden well.

M - Creamy and smooth, with moderate carbonation. Medium bodied. No problems here.

D - This brew is blander than I'd like, and while I normally don't find myself reaching for stouts, if I did, this wouldn't be near the top of my list. (984 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

330ml bottle poured into pint glass april21 2010

A near jet black with a large mocha head that has good retention and leaves a few patches of lace

S a fair bit of molasses with a little chocolate and some booze

T not far from the smell, the booze is a little more concealed but still quite apparent and I pick up on a little coffee

M quite thin for the color not at all what I expected a little disappointing a little flat too considering how big and thick the head was

D not bad for the strength but not going to blow you away by any means

I don't think of Sri Lanka when I think of a stout but this is a respectable attempt, nothing worth bragging about but no reason to be ashamed either (696 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -13.9%

This beer is very creamy and has a great coffee flavor with chocolate in the background. No one would ever guess the alcohol content of this just by drinking it. Very drinkable beer with an awesome bottle. It only has one downfall. The aftertaste. Its not bitter or even dry. Its very prevelent. It almost seemed like a teriyaki or some other Asian flavor to it. This is different and makes it stand out against other similar stouts but it does not seem to match with the rest of the taste. (490 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -14.1%

On sale at Whole Foods for $7.99 a six pack how could I pass this up?

A- Lion Stout pours black with a medium brown head. Good amount of lacing after each sip.
S- Sweet ripe dark fruits and some chocolate.
T- Much sweeter than I expected. The ripe dark fruits are present in the taste, and the chocolate is as well. Honestly the taste is too sweet for me, almost cloying.
M- A little bit too thin in my opinion.
D- I don't really want another one.

Overall, I'm glad I tried this one, but I don't think I'll be buying it again, even on sale. (547 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -14.1%

12 oz Bottle Poured into Pint Glass.

A: Black with a hint of brown, 1 finger head nice tan color with a little lacing.

S: Burnt coffee.

T: Taste is OK, it has a burnt coffee flavor. Maybe some little bitter chocolate, & some roasted malts.

M: Quite a bit of carbonation here... Not as creamy as most stouts I've had... The alcohol is not over powering & the bitterness is pretty light.

D: Not a bad brew, just not very stout like to me.... Got a little better as it warmed up. (481 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -14.1%

A: Dark brown with a rocky, mocha colored head. Pretty nice lacing.

S: Roasted malt, lots of coffee, raisins, a hint of chocolate and a bit of metallic funk.

T: Not as roasty in the taste. More of a malty sweetness. Raisins and a bit of light, sweet chocolate. Has a bit of bitterness on the backend, pretty sure its from the roasted malt, not the hops.

M: On the higher side of medium. Average to lower carbonation, a bit smooth.

O: Not bad, not great. About what I expected. Think this was getting a little past it's prime though. Glad I got to try a beer fro Sri Lanka! (576 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -14.1%

There's a code printed on the bottle, but a bottling date isn't readily deciphered.

A: Black with a thick, light brown head that retains poorly.

S: Faint nose of chocolate and bitter roast. The sensation of alcohol comes through.

T: Sweet, dark, dried fruit (including prunes) and some bitter roast. The alcohol is not hidden. The beer is sweeter and fruitier than I like, but there's a nice roasty aftertaste.

M: Medium with brisk carbonation. A bit thin.

O: In spite of the sweetness, I could drink another but for the abv. I would like to try this again with desert, perhaps an almond cake. (599 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Mostly dark brown, almost black beer.

It smells like a great stout. A lot of roasted aromas, especially coffee.

Taste is similar to a lot of stouts, except this one seemed a bit more roasted. More chocolate flavors than coffee. It finished with a metallic aftertaste, however, which definitely hurt the beer. Otherwise tasted great.

Felt a mix between oily and creamy. Not bad.

Overall not a bad beer, but there are plenty of other stouts I would choose first. (464 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -14.6%

Appearance - Black, 3 fingers of beige head with very good retention.

Smell - It is hard to explain what, but something seems wrong with the odour. It is not too different to the odour of most stouts, but it seems a little off.

Taste - The predominant taste is one of sweet coffee, but it isn't particularly strong. This didn't appeal to my preference for more complex stouts.

Mouthfeel - Pretty smooth.

Drinkability - Good for an 8% ABV stout.

Overall - This just didn't quite stand up to my favourite stouts. Perhaps Arjuna Ranatunga peed in it. (552 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured pitch black with a huge bronze head. Soem carbonation. Nose was big on roasted malts, some black licorice. Taste was to the sweet side. Again, black licorice was dominant. Nice malts. Very smooth, light bodied...a little too light bodied i would have to say. Lingering sweetness...a touch of raisin off the finish. Alcohol warmth. As far as a stout goes, i was looking for a little more body and fullness. Drinkable but not where i might want a stout to be. (464 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -14.9%

a: Nice mocha head recedes to a decent ring and small island of bubbles. The beer is a very dark brown, nearing black.

s: Creamy chocolate infused with roast coffee. Maybe some hazelnut. Weird salty Play-Doh in there. Eh.

m: low, smooth carbonation and a full medium body

t: Even for the style, the flavors are a little timid for my taste. It's still an okay beer, just a little bland and one-dimensional. Sweet, smoky roasts dominate over and earthy hoppiness. Roasted chocolate after the swallow.

d: easy enough but not a great beer

from zrrbrrt for my bombing (577 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -14.9%

Appearance is good, a very dark brown and almost black hue with a nice crown of head that leaves some good lacing.

Smells very malty, molasses, chocolate, a hint of roasted malts. Something just slightly off, a slight sour smell.

Taste is good, but nothing outstanding here. This is a run of the mill stout that is good for its price. Surprisngly low on chocolate, I was waiting for it to hit and got nothing, instead you get a lot of cream and molasses. Again, good, but plain.

Mouth is a bit of a problem, the body is right on at thickness but it seemed way too bubbly for my stouty tastes.

Overall if I'm at a store and see a sixer of this next to a four pack of Great Lakes Blackout for the same price, I'm going to the GL every time. Just no reason to revisit this beer, though I can't find anything to say outwardly negative. Just nothing special. (857 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Black with a massive and dark tan, creamy looking head that has great lasing.

S: First thing I get strangely enough is fruit, like raisins and plums, soaked in rum. It kind of overpowers the roasty goodness that I usually like in a stout. To be honest, it's a little off-putting. There is some strange odor that doesn't feel like it should be in a beer. Almost smells like a wine, and I'm not fond of wine.

T: Very fruity and a hint of roasted malts on the back end. The more I sip this beer, the better it gets as it seems to build a layer of delicious dark, but not really dark, chocolate across my tongue. The best part of the taste, is IMO after you swallow and let it mellows. As it warms, the alcohol makes itself known.

M: Medium, I was a bit shocked, and this beer makes me long for that heavy chewiness I love. Good amount of carbonation. Creamy... nice.

Overall I was expecting this to be an A- beer, but it surely was not for me. This beer was way too fruity and thin bodied for my taste. Not roasty, no coffee, not a whole lot of chocolate. Not my cup of tea. (1,080 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle cold to a glass

A - 3 inches of head being the head is reddish tan. Color reminds me of Dark chocolate/coffee. Couldn't see through the glass

S - Strong hop/malt smell but at first couldn't figure out but my first guess would be like a dark chocolate or coffee.

T - Creamy taste at first but turns a little bitter, just a little! But it does turn smooth going down.

M - Creamy and smooth but full bodied

D - Good beer, one was good enough for me though. Great beer to share when your with others.

Over all not my kind of beer. This won't stop me from trying others in this class. I recommend this beer even though not my style. Someone with a more seasoned palate will appreciate this more than me. (726 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Dark, dark brown, with a three-finger tan head that slowly subsided. Left a good bit of lacing.

Smell: Dark fruits, caramel sweetness, roasted malts, wet cardboard (at first I thought the bottle might have been oxidized, but I had two, and both had the same smell), and a certain astringency that I couldn't place. Somewhat of a chemical sweetness to it, which was a little bit off-putting.

Taste: Bitter roasted malts and coffee up front, but an unpleasant chemical sweetness in the background. There were dark fruits that contributed to the sweetness, but the artificial nature of it was kind of off-putting. It mellowed out a little bit as I worked on my glass, but left a noticeable aftertaste that lingered long after the glass was finished. If you could get past the sweetness, it's a very smooth, very good stout...but that sweetness just bothered me.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, a little thin, but nicely carbonated.

Drinkability: If you can get past the sweetness it is easy to drink a couple, but it's a definite sipper. Not a bad beer, but if I have the choice there are plenty of other stouts I'd rather get. However, this was the only one available for me at the bar I was at, and it satisfied my craving. Good, but that artificial sweetness just bothered me. (1,327 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours very dark brown in color. There's a very nice frothy, espresso like head that forms on top. Plenty of carbonated bubbles racing towards the top of the glass.
Smell is lactic, heavily roasted malts and some cocoa. Taste is more of the roasted malts. There is a certain lactic, metallic flavor that is not jiving with me. Medium mouthfeel and bitter. (354 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours black with a nice creamy brown head that leaves good lacing in my glass, roasty, fruity malty aromas. Taste like plums, chocolate and smoke, medium bodied with a creamy mouthfeel, finishes a bit sweet, alcohol comes through as it warms, not as good as I was expecting but still a good stout. (297 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

(on tap at The Map Room - served in a fat tulip)

A: black as hell, little head... no lace as it was going down - hard to tell how clean the glass was - I'd like to assume the glass was washed properly considering the rep of this spot - maybe the gas was low

S: black licorice, mild European coffee... a tad 'herbal' (like Jager?)... faint dark cocoa

T: much like the aromas - not much new revealed on the palate... surprisingly tame sweetness - in fact, one could argue this has a clean Baltic porter foundation with a hybrid dry stout / schwarzbier taste... roasted flavors are low, or at best polished to a less-than-brilliant gloss, seems more like patent malt and a touch of crystal were used - who knows?... no real discernible hop flavor, light+ bitterness... not a strong presence of booze, curiously

M: damn light in body and on the palate... not quite, but nearly watery (again, leak on the gas line - almost flat)... nothing making a mark on the palate aside from the heat flash at the back of the throat

O: a bit underwhelming... had this a couple times in the past and though it was pretty good, however, I've always seemed to confuse this with Dragon Stout from Jamaica... this was a tough one to grade because I feel like something was off here... (1,266 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -15.6%

As my esteemed beer colleagues have noted, this beer is malt-ball malty. However, I dare to disagree with some impressions of its appearance and carbonation.

The appearance is lovely, black as night, and it has a frothy beige-brown head that foams and lasts long enough to tell you that this beer is appropriately carbonated.

My only qualm resides in this beer's overly enthusiastic chocolate flavor. I'm usually a fan of chocolate, but this beer's bitter chocolate mixes with the strong smokey ash flavor to make this taste more like I dropped a Hershey's bar into a campfire and then licked it clean.

Nevertheless, it augments a piece of pizza and will effectively hide any cumin flavor (if that's what you want) with its powerful smoke-screen. (751 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -15.6%

A - poured very dark, nearly black, with 1.25" tan head that retained nicely with decent lacing in my pint glass

S - dark chocolate, coffee, bread, oatmeal, mild floral tones, and a hint of currants. Of course, the alcohol is quite prominent.

T - coffee, burnt sugar, yeast, light chocolate notes, but in somewhat disproportional amounts. I'm detecting a bit much in the fruity and sweetness and not enough body to hold it together, especially with a high alcohol.

M - medium bodied, heavy carbonation, warming down the throat

D - not bad but the high ABV takes away in this department

Overall - A decent stout that gives a pleasant alcoholic kick to your evening, but it doesn't have enough body to keep it together. I found it actually slightly watery for a stout with too much carbonation. Still, stout lovers should give it a try. 'Tis a different catch. (864 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured with a head reluctant to emerge but then blooming to 2" in a lovely mocha color. Dark as black coffee. Almost no smell at all, and in fact almost no taste initially too. As it warmed a little and sat and opened up a little some subtle chocolate malt flavor emerged and that was pretty good, not great but good. There's also an odd something extra, kind of like a cola or rum flavor. Anyway, nothing offensive in it, and it's easy to drink, and for a foreign import from such an unusual source I thought it was a success. (527 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -16.1%

The pour is dark...and i mean DAAARK. It pours an almost pitch black in color but has a white 1.5 inch head that actually dissipates quite fast.

The smell of coffee assaults my nostrils along with hops and malt. More malt than hops, but also an alchoholish smell.

Taste is a bit of coffee, a bit of chocolate, alot of malt and almost a taste of ....well vodka. And not good vodka.

Mouthfeel is very thick. Slides right down the back of your throat but doesnt stick to the back of your throat like some stouts.

For a beer that has an overpowering taste of alchohol, its drinkability is good. The alcohol taste fades quickly and the aftertaste is just, for lack of a better description, nice.

Id buy this again, just not every day. (739 characters)

Lion Stout from Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited