Lion Stout - Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited

Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited visit their website
Sri Lanka

Foreign / Export Stout |  8.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lion Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 874 | Hads: 1,516

Average porter. Average price. Average... ho hum... blah... move on... If you want something interesting, certainly don't look here. This beer is a porter... sure... it's a porter... yup... it sure is a porter! I'm pretty certain it's a porter. It tastes and looks and smells like a porter. It's a porter allright! I'm bored of this porter. It's unremarkable and average all the way through. Certainly an excellent find if it's on a bargain shelf but I'm sure you can find better tasting porters near you and not from halfway across the world... Unless you live in Sri Lanka! (575 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -24.2%

Lion Stout in a can. It's gotta be done.

Pours a pretty thick blackness. Head is notable; beautiful notes of brown and tan. Loose and and little filmy. Excellent crown to a big black stout. Smell is a little sour; some vinegar, coffee notes, molasses. Not the typical stout smell; sweeter, a little sour, no oak, vanilla or bourbon notes to be found. Taste follows smell pretty closely. This definitely has a sweet edge to it. I also get some grape skins in the taste. The main roasted malt taste is upfront, which gives way pretty quickly to a sweet/sour and tinny finish. Some coffe and cocoa detectable. Not bad, interesting tastes, not a stout I'd drink very often. I can see drinking this fresh off the tap on a tropical island, beachin it up.

Has a distinct sour bite to it I don't care for. Don't know if it's a bad can; is that possible? I seem to like it much more out of the bottle. (894 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -24.2%

Poured int Sam Adams Sensory Glass.

Pours an opaque black, slightly brown around the edges of the glass. Pours a tan head the leaves good splattered lacing about the glass.

Aroma is very smokey. I smelt something like teriyaki sauce and it reminded me a lot of Sam Adams Triple Bock. It was very malty.

Taste was pretty much identical to the smell. It was was too smokey and nothing I enjoyed very much.

Mouthfeel was very creamy, but I couldn't withhold the taste so I couldn't keep it in my mouth too long. There was no alcohol present and it had decent carbonation.

Overall this is probably my least favorite stout to date. I don't plan on buying or drinking another one of these. (689 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -23.7%

Poured from a 12oz can into a goose island matilda goblet. In the air the pour stream is a very dark brown but once in the glass becomes enough to be opaque / black. The head is a light brown and very tall so the carbonation must be somewhat high. Head reduced to a lumpy foam then dissipated completely in a short time. Smell is light, not too rich or outstanding. Taste is somewhat light and sweet and not really anything amazing as far as I'm concerned. Not a bad beer but not really what I would look for in a stout. To each their own I suppose. Drinkability is high as the abv is not too high and the mouthfeel is smooth and easy. The beer rolls across the tongue lightly with the bubbles biting just a little bit. Overall drinkable, but not my cup of tea (or beer). Was worth the try. (790 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -23.2%

A - Pours deep chocolate brown with 3 fingers of foaming, creamy light brown head

S - Bitter chocolate,Unique smell for the style.. almost like some form of sour burnt sugar comes though with a slight smokiness. Not really pleasant on the nose

T - Bitter chocolate / chocolate milk upfront with a fruity bitterness throughout the middle and alcohol rounding out the back end

M - Medium High mouthfeel on this and lingering cream texture, but also feels a bit chalky. Dry bittering finish on the tongue to end things. Would be difficult to have too many of these with the lingering numbness on the tongue from the alcohol.

O - Not too bad for the price being on the lower end, and has a decent amount of complexity, but something about the strange smell vs the taste kept if a lower rating for me. (800 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2oz bottle in Unibroue Maudite snifter.

32308 18:18 printed in yellow on the neck. It tastes like it could be from March 2008.

Michael Jackson is pictured on the back, it's from Sri Lanka, an 8% "Stout" and only costs 2 bucks a bottle. This is why my friend in AZ picked it up for me.

Very good head retention. I'm likely marking off because the appearance isn't as impressive as other bis stouts I've had due to this one most likely not having oat and significantly less-hopped. Aroma nowhere near compares to most big stouts I've had.

Has those Euro Big Stout flavours, like Sam Smith Imp Stout or a Baltic Porter - toffee, tootsie roll, grape jelly and berries, port. I suppose that is the "Export Stout" flavor. I get some sweet wine-like flavors (but not very woody), some dessert-like creaminess (chocolate mousse, maybe carrot cake?), and some hazelnut. I'm not that familiar with carob, but I think it tastes a like a carob dessert.

Thick and the alcohol is not present in the taste.

I didn't know Sri Lanka exported beer. It's probably pretty good there. If I was ever near Sri Lanka, I'd love to try in there.

Not bad. I'd recommend it for the price, but I wouldn't seek it out. A little sweet for my tastes., I'd like some more roastiness and hop presence. I much prefer American Imperial Stouts, like Victory Storm King for example; although I realize this is a different brew in many ways. I would bet most would like more than me though... (1,465 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I loved the look of this. Pitch black with a beige colored head that came large and stayed at medium size for awhile. Smelled of strong semi-sweet chocolate chips and a hint of alcohol. Taste of roasted malts and intense chocolate (like a mochachino). Only problem is that the flavor is withdrawn and doesn't fully show itself. There's also a sourness in the beer that seems like it shouldn't be there. Is that supposed to be the hops? Is it some astringency from the grains. I don't know, but I do know that it mixes with the chocolate and creates an off flavor. Body is medium to weak in thickness. Could be much better than it is. (633 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -22.4%

330 ml bottle purchased from LCBO for $2.35 CDN. Served fairly cold into a pint glass. Best before January 2016.

Appearance -Pours a dark cola beer, with plenty of cola like bubbles. Small half finger of head is poured and dissipates virtually instantly. Pretty mediocre

Smell - Roasty coffee mostly, some leathery tobacco like aroma too. A bit of sweet booziness as well.

Taste - Big bold coffee flavor followed by a helping of dry coffee beans and maybe a touch of dark chocolate. The leatheriness comes through here too.

Mouthfeel - Wet and somewhat slick with good carbonation, finishes fairly dry. Probably the best part of the beer in my opinion.

Overall - Rather disappointing, was hoping for a big stout with great flavor and feel, and ended up with something limper and less tasty that expected. Maybe it was a bad bottle, but I really don't think so. I'll pass next time. (888 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

A pitch-black brew from Sri-Lanka, an island off the southern coast of India.

I received this beer as part of a "beer of the month" club type thing.

I was excited to open this beer, but it wasnt quite up to what i was expecting. maybe a little too metallic?

The can it came in looks nicely appointed. Simple black and red with a lion (as expected).

When poured, it looked almost syrup-y. very heady.

The smell is just on-par for a stout.

The taste did disappoint me a little. To me, it was a little bit metallic for my taste.

Not a bad mouthfeel. Pretty smooth.

Overall, it was just Okay. Dont hate it, but would not choose it again if given other options. (668 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -20.9%

Liquorish with a dark chocolate hue. A deep heavy malt is at once, creamy and sweet. Lacking any real hop aroma the surprise is the full bitter hop bite. Heavy and flavorful chocolate and coffee notes blend in well. Tricky alcochol is certainly there, but hardly noticeable. The creamy head fades quickly. (305 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

The bottle said Sinha stout, but I am sure this is the same thing as well. Pours extremely dark with a large amount of brown foam that quickly disipates to a thin film. Very little lace left on the glass. Smells ripe with dark cherries, plums, chocolate, rum, mollases, and roasted malts. Flavour is quite balanced. Starts out slightly sweet, with an aftertaste of bitter coffee and roasted malts. Mouthfeel is a bit watery, though. As if someone took a good stout and added a litre of water. Still, an overall decent beer. Not sure if it's a dry or sweet stout. Perhaps a hybrid. (580 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -20.7%

11.2 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark red color with nice opacity. The head is a huge, foaming three finger khaki color that descends to one finger after a while. Plenty of lacing is left behind, as well.

S: Big, massive, hugely sweet chocolate. Some dark fruits, as well. Actually, come to think about it, there's a minor whiff of sour cherries - infection, perhaps? We shall see. I still enjoy the aroma greatly, but that foamy head should have been a giveaway.

T: The flavor takes on more of a roasted barley and coffee bean tone, especially at first, while waves of chocolaty sweet and - unfortunately - tart cherries seemingly via an onsetting infection. After a while, the tartness takes center stage. Some herbal hop flavors also try to pop up in the finish, as well. So what we have here is a lightly soured stout, and it kind of works. Not perfectly by any means, but there's enough sweetness here to keep it in check.

M: Quite light in its loafers with wimpy carbonation. There's actually an esophageal burn and a bit of stomach turning which completely tanks the mouthfeel score for me. On the palate proper, it's not particularly dry, but nicely bittersweet'n'sour; whatever the blue hell that's supposed to mean.

O: Infected - it just has to be. But thank Odin it's a minor infection that actually gives it a pleasant twist, instead of twisting my mouth sideways and dissolving my tongue. This clearly isn't the final product as it's intended to be - thankfully I have a penchant for a good Flemish-style ale along side my stout tooth, so I still think it's quite okay.

If you're bottle has "123881841" on it, just be wary. (1,659 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -20.4%

Tasted from a can. Pours nearly black with a very thick and frothy light brown head. Nose is coffee, dark chocolate, very roasted malts, and light hops. On the palate, the flavor is fruitier, displaying prune, the chocolate is more of a milk chocolate than dark chocolate. The malts taste a little more like caramel than expected, and the hops add a nice dimension as well. On the palate, this beer is actually lighter than expected, due in large part to the heavy carbonation. The finish is not terribly long. Overall, this is a very drinkable stout. (551 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -20.2%

A very quick developing head, colored like a frappacino sits easily on top of a very very dark dark maroon/black colored almost wine smelling bier. The first sip delivers chocolate and mellow hops. Its almost syrupy constitution lends itself well to the smell, they work very well together. If the taste could develop more of an after taste or carry the flavor further along the tongue it would be an outstanding beer. The alcohol volume is not readily tasted, but comes across in the wine like smell. (501 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -20.2%

Pours very dark with a substantial, two-finger brown cream head that sticks around for quite a while. Smell is pungent with a powerful alcohol smell. Almost reminds me of the smell of Name Tag beer which isn't the greatest smell in the world. Taste had some coffee and mocha flavors as the bottle suggested. Going to have to pick this up again from somewhere else than world market. Bottle had stuff floating in the bottom of it and tasted old. I have had other bottles from there that had stuff in it as well and just weren't very fresh. I'll update what I find. (563 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -19.9%

Presentation: 625ml brown bottle with a gold foil neck. MJ, the beer hunter, is pictured on the back of the label with a cheesy endorsement. Expiration date printed on the bottle.

Appearance: Black with brown hues. Pours a massive tan head with a creamy/foamy consistency, lots of glass stick and great retention. Unfiltered.

Smell: Caramel, light roasted notes, wet paper, touch of musty fruit.

Taste: A malty sweet brew, smooth and mature in character. Caramel, chocolate and mocha flavours are dominant with a touch of blackstrap molasses in the background. Wet paper flavours pull-thru revealing some oxidation of the beer. Soft, even mouthfeel. Alcohol is not evident in taste, but you can feel it working the brain. Mild astringent bite and dryness. Finish is chocolaty, a bit metallic and dries up.

Notes: Over-promoted by Michael Jackson and over-hyped in general. A pretty average sweet stout that has potential to be something better, but it never gets there. It sits somewhere between a dry Irish stout and typical sweet stout, leaning a bit too much towards the dry with its flat, one dimensional malt profile. Still at least worth a try for all of you stout lovers out there. (1,200 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -19.9%

P: A Sri Lankan Stout heavily endorsed by Michael Jackson, The Beer Hunter? Bizarre. Presented in a 12 oz., brown bottle with the king of beasts adorning the label and various "quality" awards depicted on the neckband. Purchased as a single bottle from Three Cellars.

A: Pours an inky black with a generous tan-colored head. No apparent lacing.

S: Chocolate and caramel malts, dried fruit and wet cardboard.

T: Sweet chocolate malt with notes of earthy peat, smoke, and peppery spice. Suggestions of dried fruit -- primarily prunes -- come to mind. A touch of vanilla emerges on the back end. Finishes sweet and slightly astringent with a flash of well-concealed alcohol.

M: Velvety smooth on the palate.

D: I didn't find this Stout remarkably drinkable. Beware, the alcohol in this brew creeps up out of nowhere. (821 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -19.6%

A- Black with super 3 finger head that dissipate to a nice lace.

S- Coffee & malt

T- Sweet coffee, alcohol, malts, fruit/spice

M- Bubbly, maybe watery

O- Should be stronger & richer for a Stout. Alcohol and coffee mingle to make a anise/spice flavor.

Might Drink
Wouldn't Buy
Wouldn't Make (294 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -19.4%

Poured a pitch black color, dark tan head, not a whole lot fo lacing on the way down. Smell is of slight coffee and alcohol hints. Taste is too much alcohol, not enough stout, too much carbonation. Not a rich enough body to support the other flavors. There are better stouts, including ones that don't get Michael Jackson to pimp their beer. (341 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -19.4%

Appearance: Black with a 3/4 inch moderately dark tan head.

Smell: Coffee and a little burnt sugar. Some toffee and caramel in the background.

Taste: Burnt toast and coffee with a handful of carmelized sugar on top.

Mouthfeel: Quick fading carbonation and hardly any hop bitterness.

Drinkability: A bit too astringent on the tongue in the after taste to want another one right away. Not really a sessionable stout. (418 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle into a medium, glass goblet.

A - Pours to a black body with a quickly dissipating, one-finger head.

S - A slight hoppy, and almost liquory fragrance (probably due to its 8% alc by vol). Chocolate and coffee are buried underneath this fragrance as well. There's also a slight raisin smell to it.

T - Chocolatey and coffee-like. It has characteristics of a whiskey-like taste (also probably due to its proof). However, the moment it got the slightest bit warm, it got a little hard to drink and slightly unappetizing for me. The flavors, however, make it decently filling.

M - It feels warms on the way down, similar to a whiskey burn, but obviously not as drastic. It is not too thick and not too thin - virtually down the middle (a little on the thicker side, if I had to choose one).

D - Because of the warmth as it goes down, as well as its many flavors, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it with a meal. Personally, I would drink it after as a compliment (with or without a dessert). Because of its flavor and how filling it is, I could really only stomach two at most.

I know that this beer has gotten pretty good reviews, but personally, it's just not for me. (1,187 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a standard pint glass. The beer is coffee black. The dark cream head dissipates to a wisp. Minimal lacing. Smells weird, like Elmer's glue. Tastes of sweet vanilla over roasted malts and bitter chocolate. There is a brown sugar thing in there too, I swear. And to mimic the smell, a hint of glue! ??? The mouthfeel is a carbonated soda like feel.

Overall, this beer is weird. Not necessarily in a bad way. But I do detect a weird glue smell and taste. I picked up the brown sugar presence later on as the beer warmed up. I will say that for 8.8% ABV, the alcohol is hardly detectable, which is awesome, I hate boozy beers. I've seen this in stores for years, and was curious. I won't ever have one again, but at least I know what it is. Not bad, just interesting. (777 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle.

Appearance: Totally black and opaque, with no highlights. Large, light brown head.

Smell: Caramel malt and sweet chocolate.

Taste: Disappointingly bland-ish, with a little bit of sweet malt but almost nothing on the finish. Uncharacteristic of a foreign export stout.

Mouthfeel: Creamy mouthfeel, light carbonation.

Overall: Not a favorite -- too boring. (389 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -18.6%

Poured in to Founder's tulip.

A - Poured black with 2 fingers of foamy light brown head.

S - Roasted malts, a touch of licorice, some hazelnut and a some light coffee notes. Alcohol is slightly noticeable and the overall nose is somewhat bland.

T - Roasted malts, a touch of coffee, chocolate and some sweetness. Not overly complex for the style but still an enjoyable and easy to drink beer. The alcohol is also somewhat noticeable on the palate.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation. (494 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -18.6%

Poured this beer into tumbler at 48 degrees. Beer was very black with a giant brown head that really lasted. Fruity nose chocolate oozing from chocolaty head. Good lacing. Slight interesting smoky taste but also a bit sour to me which turned me off. Will not buy again. (269 characters)

Lion Stout from Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited