Lion Stout - Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited

Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited visit their website
Sri Lanka

Foreign / Export Stout |  8.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,470 | Reviews: 870
3.92/5  rDev +0.3%

I really liked this beer. It's well-made and very tasty and drinkable. I'd drink it again without thinking twice. Makes me wonder what it is about beers like this one that make them better than so many of today's overdone imperial stouts.

3.73/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.75/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Appearance - 4.25/5
Extremely dark brown, almost black. Two fingers of light brown head. The head dies down a little, but stays at about 1/2 finger for a while. Great lacing. There are various small to large particles which can be seen in the beer.

Smell - 3.5/5
Strong chocolate then alcohol aromas fill my nose. I swish the beer around again and take another sniff. Chocolate/mocha, and the alcohol is even stronger this time. The alcohol smell reminds me of vodka. I like the chocolate aspect, don't like the "vodka" aspect.

Taste - 2.25/5
Roasty and smoky, sweet roasty chocolate/mocha. Strong vodka-like alcohol taste. I was going to say the taste wasn't that bad, but then I realized my face cringed upon my first sip. So I can't rationalize this away and say it's great, because clearly my body says otherwise. Yeah, after taking a few more sips I can say that I definitely don't like this beer. It literally tastes like someone poured a little bit of vodka into a stout. It's not good. This is one of those beers I was tempted to pour down the drain (I didn't...mainly because I hate wasting beer, and I wanted to finish the review).

Mouthfeel - 3.5/5
Medium-bodied, medium level of carbonation. Fairly smooth

Overall - 2/5
I had this beer sitting in my fridge for a few weeks and was excited to try it. I was extremely disappointed. This ranks down in the top 5 worse beers I can remember.

4.04/5  rDev +3.3%

3.47/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.07/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.06/5  rDev +3.8%

4.17/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a can into a tulip pint. Dark, almost black; fluffy tan head. Smell is sweet roastiness, maybe some coffee notes. Taste is quite sweet, but the slightly charred flavor at the back keeps it from being cloying. Thick and smooth. A pleasant beer.

3.93/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

My first Sri Lankan beer that I know of. Good all-around, nice and roasty and stout. Nothing that blows me away though.

4.13/5  rDev +5.6%

3.88/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

3.82/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.18/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.21/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.45/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Home from Nick B
2/27/15

Pour looks great. Everything else is avg at best. Smell and taste like its a stout with farm house taste.

3.32/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours pitch black. World Class head volume, lacing and retention.

Outstanding nose of dark chocolate, molasses, dark fruit (prune) subtle coffee and a hint of alcohol.

Heavy medium bodied with a very smooth texture that approaches creamy. Above normal carbonation level with effervescence from the middle on.

The outstanding flavor profile is intense, complex and well balanced. It begins with a blend of flavors that separate into chocolate, a hint of coffee and very subtle prune. In the middle, the big malt sweetness comes forward with a molasses and caramel flavor against a mild bitterness of citric hops and roast. The finish is a slow sweet fade and leaves you with that nice slight alcohol burn at the back of the throat amid an effervescent burst.

3.3/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.84/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.47/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Owns a pitch black pour and rich caramel head. Carries a green olive aroma and accompanied with the same, in taste. Smooth body. Overall, worth the try!

4.16/5  rDev +6.4%

4.07/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.53/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Lion Stout from Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited