Lion Stout - Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited

Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited visit their website
Sri Lanka

Foreign / Export Stout |  8.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,468 | Reviews: 869
3.86/5  rDev -1.3%

Very nice almost black color and dark tan head about three fingers high. It dissipates very fast and leaves little to no lacing.
Smelling the beer I detect the expected roasted malts, but also nice chocolate notes as well as dark fruit like plum and raisin.
The taste is better than expected from a brew from Sri Lanka.
The fruity flavors come up front, followed by the roasted malt in the middle and the finish build the coffee and chocolate notes. Very well balanced and quite potent, with an ABV of almost 9 percent.
Definitely would buy this again.

3.8/5  rDev -2.8%

~22oz bottle poured into a large snifter.

A - The beer itself pours almost as intimidating as the lion on the label, as it appears a pretty thick black with some muddy brown around the edges. I didn't pour extraordinary hard, but it still rustled a fluffy, 2.5-finger head, mocha in color. Retention is fairly standard, with extra points for lasting as long as it did given the ABV. The only slight I have against the appearance is the weak lacing, which only seems to cover a tiny fraction of what it touches.

S - I am enjoying the nose more than I thought I would, as it comes across as more complex than what I expected. It has the typical roast and malts, but it also gives off lots of dark fruits. Some alcohol coming across at the end which seems to soak the fruits. Nice combination and contrast between the malts and the fruits / hops.

T - The taste starts with a nice shot of coffee roast, which paves the way for the rest of the flavors. The coffee doesn't linger in sense of bitterness, but carefully segues into a rich, dark chocolate. Almost immediately after this, the dark fruits come in, like plums and raisins and even some granny smith apples in the finish, which adds a nice sweetness to complement the malts. After this, the alcohol returns, which is nice at first as it adds yet another layer, but as I drink, I find it more and more intrusive. A bit too fusel for my liking, which is probably my only major complaint for the taste.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately heavy-bodied with medium carbonation. For coming from all the way from Sri Lanka and sitting for who knows how long, I think this beer has held up pretty well, which can't be said for all beers that are imported. Very smooth and creamy, and leaves a lasting impression of alcohol heat, raisins, and chocolate.

D/O - Drinkability is pretty high. This beer really did exceed what little expectations I had from it. I know it's rated solidly, but I still had my own reservations regarding this beer. I'm happy to say that I greatly enjoyed this stout, and at less than $4.50 for a bomber, it certainly outperforms some domestic stouts at a similar and even higher price point. The only glaring flaw I can see with this beer is the amount of alcohol that comes through in the finish, but at almost 9% ABV, I can definitely see where it's coming from.

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

Has a rich, nutty and chocolaty smell, with caramel and malty sugar aromas filling out the nose.

The flavor is far more sugary than I was expecting, the malts coming at me in waves of caramelized brown sugars, molasses, and toffee. This is, however, a stout, and so there are many stout-like flavors to complement those sugars: chocolate malts, hints of tobacco and coffee, lightly-burnt grains. As well, there are distinct vanilla and dark chocolate notes that ride between the sugars and the more bitter flavors. The aftertaste is dominated by tobaccos and burnt grains, and seems to disappear quickly, leaving only a slight alcohol burn on the tongue. The brew itself is slightly more viscous than water, sliding across the tongue like extra virgin olive oil.

Overall, I thought this an excellent stout, full of the lovely darker flavors that I expected, but also containing a nice sugary surprise that kept me coming back for more.

3.37/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Black with a massive and dark tan, creamy looking head that has great lasing.

S: First thing I get strangely enough is fruit, like raisins and plums, soaked in rum. It kind of overpowers the roasty goodness that I usually like in a stout. To be honest, it's a little off-putting. There is some strange odor that doesn't feel like it should be in a beer. Almost smells like a wine, and I'm not fond of wine.

T: Very fruity and a hint of roasted malts on the back end. The more I sip this beer, the better it gets as it seems to build a layer of delicious dark, but not really dark, chocolate across my tongue. The best part of the taste, is IMO after you swallow and let it mellows. As it warms, the alcohol makes itself known.

M: Medium, I was a bit shocked, and this beer makes me long for that heavy chewiness I love. Good amount of carbonation. Creamy... nice.

Overall I was expecting this to be an A- beer, but it surely was not for me. This beer was way too fruity and thin bodied for my taste. Not roasty, no coffee, not a whole lot of chocolate. Not my cup of tea.

3.6/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured out of a 12 oz. can into my Duvel tulip.

A – She is big and black with a full three fingers of mocha head. Sticky lacing.

S – Coffee, mocha, dark chocolate stouty goodness.

T – Much like the taste it’s got a roasty coffee flavor. Mocha and chocolate (chocolate like those bakers squares) as well. Tastes like a bit of a vanilla sweetness. Caramel. Has sime bitterness that finishes it off.

M – Medium bodied and medium carbonation. Leaves an almost clean feel on the mouth which I find unusual in a stout but still manages a creamy texture.

O – Really decent stout here. It’s not top shelf but it holds it’s own. Well worth a buy and I certainly will again.

Found during my first ever trip to the LCBO.

A- Well this is dark. A very dark brown topped by a dark beige.

S- Smells terrific. Rich chocolate milk and very little alcohol.

T- Much like the smell but a little roastier. Almost like drinking chocolate milk. Some acidity whichtakes away nothing from the smoothness. Bitterness is quite soft and leaves a lot of room to the chocolatey goodness. Alcohol is very well hidden. Only the nice warming sensation signals its presence.

M- Medium carbonation. Nice body. A little astringent.

O- Really good beer. Just light enough. Satisfies stout cravings.

4.3/5  rDev +10%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Sam Adams pint.

A: Pours a nearly opaque, dark brown with two fingers of dark tan head. Good retention and lace.

S: Chocolate, brown sugar and a bit of spice.

T: Dark, roasted malts, semi-sweet chocolate, beginning to end. A little spicy hop bite on the end, accented by the alcohol. Tasty.

M: Not too heavy, quite smooth.

O: A delicious beer, and one I will look forward to enjoying again. Relatively low complexity but the flavors are true. First beer from Sri Lanka as far as I remember-- pleasant introduction to the country.

4.16/5  rDev +6.4%

Served to me in a standard pint glass.

A - Onyx black. Unfiltered stout from Sri Lanka? Quite interesting. The bartender poured a two finger head, which stuck around a good long while and left some scattered lacing.

S - Dark fruits hit the nose first, followed by some chocolate notes and coffee beans. Not a big aroma, but nice.

T - Initially a little boozy, but once the palate warms up to that and the bitterness (which is hop forward) a bold chocolate malt structure can be found.

M - Smooth full body with a mild carbonation level. A little creamy with a dry finish.

D - Excellent. Deceptively drinkable for how big it is. I've had a few of these before scattered about, but now that I remember how delicious it actually is, I'm going to have to partake more often. Recommended.

3.64/5  rDev -6.9%

Bottled in 2010

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance-Oily black, pitch black. 3 finger frothy beige head. Great retention and incredible lacing. Very nice looking.

Smell-Dark bitter chocolate and espresso notes, pretty generic, nothing special.

Taste-Roasted malts. Coffee remains in the middle of the tongue and followed by a sweeter milk chocolate. The alcohol is detected easily on the way down.

Mouthfeel-A little heavy, pretty smooth. Could use a little more carbonation.

Overall-It's a pretty generic beer. It's definitely good, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find this again when Old Rasputin is 7.99/4pk and easy to get.

3.98/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from a can into pint glass. Pours black with a two finger breadth of mocha foam that dissipates with no lacing. Smells of coffee and chocolate with hint of alcohol. Taste is quite nice with flavor of coffee and slight sweetness. A solid stout from somewhere that I had never thought to buy beer from. Would buy again.

4.15/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance: Deep black body is topped with a brown "mocha" head.

Smell: Main smells are dark chocolate, coffee and toffee. There is a slight hint of alcohol.

Taste: In a word, wonderful! The coffee taste dominates when the beer is chilled and roasted malts start to take over as the beer warms. Along the way there is a hint of chocolate. There is a slight alcohol burn in the aftertaste, which should probably be expected from an ABV of almost 9%.

Mouth feel: The beer is creamy but feels heavy, likely from the high ABV.

Overall: This is a very good stout from an unlikely place (Sri Lanka). The coffee and chocolate tastes are perfectly balanced, the aroma is great, and the alcohol content is just right for a stout (in my opinion). I would definitely drink this again.

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

A: deep cloudy black, 2 finger tan head, good lacing

S: malt, nutty, smoky, hint of licorice

T: sweet cocoa, malt, nutty, alcohol long light bitter finish

M: med body, slight creamy/smooth body

O: Shocked that a very nice brew could come
from a most unusual place, Sri Lanka.
Well done; sip this gem. Think
Guinness Foreign Extra Stout from SE Asia.

VERY NICE, WORTH TRYING!

3.8/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours pitch black with a nice foamy 2 finger tan head that faded slowly, leaving very good foamy lacing clinging to the glass.

Smells of roasted coffee, toasted malt, cocoa, chocolate, licorice, date or fig, caramel or syrup and some burnt wood; nice rich nose that's toasty and roasted.

Tastes of roasted coffee, licorice, toasted malt, cocoa, chocolate powder, date or fig, caramel, syrup, light yeast or wet bread like cardboard, light alcohol like a splash of Sambuca and some burnt wood; tastes like a stout strained through a coffee filter, which I found enjoyable. This is a one trick pony: roasted malts.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, with light carbonation, a heavy body and an overall iced coffee feel. There was a little bitter nip at the end, which could be from hops or the roasted malts; either way, it was pretty easy to drink. A good stout that hides the ABV well, but just not a great stout. Worth a try if you like stouts.

2015 Update: Had a very well aged bottle of this stout and it held up quite well. The coffee, yeast and caramel came through the most and the sweetness tamed the bitterness and made it pretty smooth.

3.41/5  rDev -12.8%

There's a code printed on the bottle, but a bottling date isn't readily deciphered.

A: Black with a thick, light brown head that retains poorly.

S: Faint nose of chocolate and bitter roast. The sensation of alcohol comes through.

T: Sweet, dark, dried fruit (including prunes) and some bitter roast. The alcohol is not hidden. The beer is sweeter and fruitier than I like, but there's a nice roasty aftertaste.

M: Medium with brisk carbonation. A bit thin.

O: In spite of the sweetness, I could drink another but for the abv. I would like to try this again with desert, perhaps an almond cake.

4.15/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance: Black, though slivers of light barely make it through the edges. Creamy mocha head forms a one finger and though it goes away quickly, a small bit remains throughout.

Smell: Deliciously smelling beer. Dark chocolate, dark roasted coffee, slight hops and strong malt aromas fill the nostrils. Not overly complex but still very pleasant.

Taste: Chocolate and mocha right off, some bitterness and some sweetness as well. It's extremely delicious and the flavors work well together in a great synergy.

Mouthfeel: Probably the weak spot. It's a medium bodied brew that is very creamy and somewhat smooth. It's certainly above average but it stands out as being the weak link.

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

When I got this I saw what the price tag was and I was hoping that it was going to be good. I took a 4 pack to my friends house one chilly night in 2008. The beer poured out as a dark black brew that had foamy brown colored head. The head settles a bit but still managed to leave a pretty good lacing down the glass. The smell of the beer is very roasted with a good amount of coffee on the nose. The taste has some really nice roasted flavors in there mixed with chocolate. The mouthfeel is pretty thick feeling. Overall this beer is very enjoyable to me. I am glad I've had it and I'd really like to have it again one day.

4.69/5  rDev +19.9%

Served in a plain pub pint glass. 1 in. dark brown head. dark black color with lacing.

Smell was heavy in malt, coffee, and a hint of chocolate and hops at the end.

Initial flavor of roasted malt with coffee and chocolate flavors. finished with some residual sweetness.

Thick and creamy mouth-feel

Wow.... really good stout!!! That's all i can even say... On my list of new favorites for sure. I can't wait to have another

4.12/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours thick and pure black with a tan two-fingered head. Not much lacing to speak of.
Smells like coffee, molasses and dark fruit, blackberry and currants.
Flavor is roasted grain, dark roasted coffee with a bit of the fruit and a little sweetness on the end. Given the amount of alcohol and how thick it looked I was expecting more sweetness. However, the bitterness from the dark roasted malts (and I am assuming a decent hit of hops) seems to keep that in check.
As the beer starts to warm up I actually get that dark fruit a lot more.
Mouthfeel is nice although I would appreciate a little tighter carbonation.
I like this stout a lot and it was pretty inexpensive for the amount of alcohol it has in it. Another nice option for a canned beer, and I am always happy to see that.

4.07/5  rDev +4.1%

A: Mostly black in color with cola brown showing when tilted and held to light. Huge tan head pours out, 4 fingers or so. Leaves behinds almost thin, hard to see lacing..it almost looks like my glass is dirty. Normally, I would give this a 4.5, but I spotted some floaters when pouring the beer and while I know it's dumb, it kind of grossed me out.

S: Roasted malt, chocolate, coffee, caramel, brown sugar. This has everything I'm looking for in the smell of a stout.

T: Largely follows the nose, but for some reason, there's just a little let down here. Roasted malts, bitter chocolate, coffee. I'm not getting the brown sugar in the taste, but I do get a little licorice..there seems to be a little floral fruitiness to the taste as well.

M: It's unexpected, but this is a little on the thin side. Dry finish. Nice aftertaste.

O: This is a really nice beer that I may have continued overlooking if not for a friend's recommendation. This has everything one would look for in a stout, but there's just something a little something missing from the taste(not quite sure what) and the body is a bit of a let down. At any rate, I'm glad I picked this up and will purchase again in the future.

3.66/5  rDev -6.4%

Picked this up at the LCBO, was surprised to see its rating so I figured I'd give it a try. The packaging is different in Canada, going under the name "Sinha".

A - Good amount of frothy mocha head. The retention is quite respectable, hanging around as a film for many minutes. The lacing is also good, leaves several thin strands around the glass.
S - Hmmm, not too many bold flavours jump out. I'm mainly greeted by a cold coffee aroma that I am hoping will dissipate as it warms. Extremely subtle hints of milk chocolate are also present, but don't really pronounce themselves.
T - So starting with a bottle fresh out of the fridge, it has that kind of cold and thin coffee taste that carries through into the taste, along with a sweet chocolate flavour. Roasted malts definitely carry through in the finish, which is a saving grace for the taste.

After it has the chance to warm up the flavours come together much more nicely, as one would expect. That kind of old, cold coffee taste remains, but is pleasantly subdued with heavy roasted malts and much darker chocolate notes.

M/D - A little more carbonation and a bit lighter than I prefer a stout, but all in all it's pretty easy drinking and doesn't have that syrupy feeling that some other cheaper ones have.

O - I'd say it's a pretty solid stout. It lacks the character and intensity of heavier stouts from more well-known breweries, but it's still drinkable and is by no means off-putting.

3.8/5  rDev -2.8%

I finally am able to drink this beer, when I read about this beer from Michael Jackson’s book I had to try it. There are several beers in that book that I would love to try, but many are no longer being brewed. I poured this beer into a nonic glass at 47 degrees.
Appearance: A foamy creamy tan head that has fair retention; moreover, the head is two fingers thick and left a little lacing on the glass. The color the beer is used motor oil black with a very dark reddish brown hue. The clarity of the beer is opaque and there is some carbonation bubble on the side of the glass.
Nose: roasted dark malt that is biscuit, caramel, and a burnt note. Other aromas are coffee, chocolate, solvent, grainy, and phenols.
Taste: A dark roasted malt, caramel, burnt notes, and biscuit. Other flavors are strong dark coffee, chocolate, grainy, hint of wood, yeast, and phenols.
Overall: The mouth feel of the beer is carbonated, slightly warming and coating. The body of the beer is medium and the finish is medium as well. This is a good beer but there is nothing that stands out to me, which makes it a fantastic beer; nonetheless, this is a beer that is must for many BA’s that enjoys stouts.

4.12/5  rDev +5.4%

A: Pours pitch black with a solid khaki head. Good retention with ruby highlights

S: Toffee, caramel, cocoa, big roasted notes, and burnt sugar - almost brown sugar

T: Burnt sugar again, bittersweet, dark fruits and berries

MF/O: Pretty viscous but not on the extreme end. A nice one, especially given the $1.20 price tag

3.34/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured with a head reluctant to emerge but then blooming to 2" in a lovely mocha color. Dark as black coffee. Almost no smell at all, and in fact almost no taste initially too. As it warmed a little and sat and opened up a little some subtle chocolate malt flavor emerged and that was pretty good, not great but good. There's also an odd something extra, kind of like a cola or rum flavor. Anyway, nothing offensive in it, and it's easy to drink, and for a foreign import from such an unusual source I thought it was a success.

A: Extremely dark brown, not transparent at all. Fluffy 1 inch head.
S: Cocoa powder malt, coffee girth but not bitterness, thick and heavy.
T: Earthy malt, coffee (minus bitterness), slight tang in the aftertaste.
M: Like heavy water leaving your tongue slightly dry.
O: Nice stout, easy going down.

3.01/5  rDev -23%

Lion Stout in a can. It's gotta be done.

Pours a pretty thick blackness. Head is notable; beautiful notes of brown and tan. Loose and and little filmy. Excellent crown to a big black stout. Smell is a little sour; some vinegar, coffee notes, molasses. Not the typical stout smell; sweeter, a little sour, no oak, vanilla or bourbon notes to be found. Taste follows smell pretty closely. This definitely has a sweet edge to it. I also get some grape skins in the taste. The main roasted malt taste is upfront, which gives way pretty quickly to a sweet/sour and tinny finish. Some coffe and cocoa detectable. Not bad, interesting tastes, not a stout I'd drink very often. I can see drinking this fresh off the tap on a tropical island, beachin it up.

Has a distinct sour bite to it I don't care for. Don't know if it's a bad can; is that possible? I seem to like it much more out of the bottle.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Lion Stout from Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited