Lion Stout - Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited

good

Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited visit their website
Sri Lanka

Foreign / Export Stout |  8.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lion Stout Alström Bros
SAxDRC5

3.73/5  rDev -5.1%

A: Dark brown with a fairly large, tan head

S: smells great! chocolaty and malty. exactly what I like in a stout.

T: decent, but I was expecting better. Mild malty flavor, strong chocolate and alcohol flavors.

M: pretty thin feeling for a stout. very bubbly. alcohol taste/feel. reminds me of beer flavored champagne.

D: 8% ABV is kinda rough. I've got will power of steel so I could drink a few but i'd rather stop after one.

05-05-2010 00:59:26 | More by SAxDRC5
JoeyBeerBelly

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

11.2 oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - black brew with a tan head that thinned out but left a trail of lacing.
S - roasted malty aroma with a hint of chocolate licorice.
T - rich, roasted, chocolatey malty taste somewhat similar to a 'Malta' with an alcohol kick.
F - medium bodied brew with a sort of refreshing feel for a stout.
D - goes down easy enough to have another, pace yourself.

04-28-2010 02:12:47 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

3.43/5  rDev -12.7%

330ml bottle poured into pint glass april21 2010

A near jet black with a large mocha head that has good retention and leaves a few patches of lace

S a fair bit of molasses with a little chocolate and some booze

T not far from the smell, the booze is a little more concealed but still quite apparent and I pick up on a little coffee

M quite thin for the color not at all what I expected a little disappointing a little flat too considering how big and thick the head was

D not bad for the strength but not going to blow you away by any means

I don't think of Sri Lanka when I think of a stout but this is a respectable attempt, nothing worth bragging about but no reason to be ashamed either

04-23-2010 00:03:34 | More by wordemupg
Onenote81

2.38/5  rDev -39.4%

Had this beer at a cookout this last weekend. Someone knew I liked stouts, so they grabbed this for me. Poured it into a mug. Pours a thick oil-like black with a large tan head on top. Very good retention; left lots of sticky lace clinging to the glass. Scents of dark fruits, milk chocolate, and some roasted malts.

The body was pretty wet and slick. I expected more here. Too watery. The taste was not doing it for me. Some sourness present reminded me of some milk stouts. Other flavors noted were grape, and faint chocolate notes. Nothing standout here. I couldn't even finish this one. Something about it just wasn't pleasant. I'll pass on this one.

04-12-2010 13:16:34 | More by Onenote81
jjanega08

A= The can pours a nice black color with a little bit of an amber highlight to it and a nice two finger head rising out of it. The head is a mocha color and makes some nice hissing noises while it sits there with some decent retention as well as a little spotty lacing.

S= Interesting. Smells like a lot of overripe melons and a little sweet maltyness. I don't really smell much roast or coffee to it at all. Smells sort of fruity. Smells exactly like dates! That's it! Dried dates is the smell all the way. Or maybe rasins.

T= Tastes a little more like a beer than a raisin juice. There is a little roastyness to it while not much it is there. The dates and rasins are still there and the most prominant aspect of the beer for sure...

M= Nice coating feel to it but a little too bubbly.

D= Pretty good. After the initial shock of the raisin date juice it is pretty solid. I would but this again sometime just because it's so unique and I've yet to have a beer like it. Who knows I may have a hankerin

04-09-2010 04:47:58 | More by jjanega08
billab914

3.58/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Stone RIS glass. Poured black with a thick tan head covering the top of the beer. The head faded and clung to the sides of the glass
but left some nice lacing.

The aroma has a little roastedness to it but more of the chocolaty slightly sweet smell than a roasty bitterness. Unfortunately I seem to get a mustiness or almost a very slight sourness to it that I didn't expect and didn't enjoy. I would almost say the bottle might be bad based on the nose but the taste shows no signs of it at all.

The taste shows a lot of chocolate and mocha with a very light bitter roastedness coming through in the finish to help balance it out a bit.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is decent, it was a pretty smooth drinking stout but wasn't one I'd probably buy again. It had some nice chocolaty flavors to it but it just didn't really wow me.

04-08-2010 00:32:52 | More by billab914
knightred

Washington

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

Bought as a close out beer because the cap has a lion on it. I collect bottle caps, and thus I drink outside my comfort zone if I see a new cap. Just noticed, my bottle doesn't have the gold foil top, or else I wouldn't have seen the bottlecap.

A: Nice brown, head is light but chocolate in color. A thinner stout, but still opaque. Lacing is ok when you drink but immediately sinks back to the beer.

S: Chocolate, some malts and molasses like grain smell.

T: Slight metallic taste to me. But I taste metal a lot. The rest is chocolate and light coffee taste. A little smoke perhaps.

M: I want to say thin gruel like mouthfeel. But it doesn't have like pieces of grain in the beer I think the carbonation is causing the chunky feel.

D: Easy to drink. It says it's 8.0% but you really can't tell. It just rolls down the throat and provides a pleasant albeit carbonated chocolate burp.

Myself, I prefer hops in the Sierra Nevada style, but this is surprisingly decent to drink. I was surprised it was from Sri Lanka, I think of more refreshing and lighter lager styles from places that are hotter. I probably wouldn't buy it again, it's not bad just there are more choices in my preferred style. If you are a stout person you should give it a try.

j.

04-07-2010 08:25:40 | More by knightred
allforbetterbeer

Colorado

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured into a small glass (saving the rest for later)

A: Midnight dark body under a light and frothy dark tan head. Excellent lacing, leaving rings all over the glass. If the head was a bit smoother (reminded me of a latte) this beer would achieve greatness in this category. As it is, it is still good.

S: Baker's coco powder, slight coffee, medium roasted grains and some caramel malts.

T: Layered chocolate and deeply roasted malts make up the bulk of Lion Stout's flavor. I say layered because this isn't a totally singular beer, but it isn't massively complex. I get some dark fruits on the side, but they don't ever take center stage. The finish is sweet and roasty (reminds me of a sweeter, stronger dry Irish stout).

M: Higher carbonation than I expected, which yielded a lighter body and less smoothness than this style should have. The mouthfeel is this beer's only major weakness in contrast to it's competition. Not full, chewy, or very smooth.

D: Where this beer lacks in mouthfeel it gains in drinkability. This beer feels lighter than it is, but at 8% it should be gulped with caution.

Overall: A very enjoyable stout in my opinion. I imagine the first stout that the people in Sri Lanka ever tasted was Guinness. I find it interesting then that this beer tastes a bit like Guinness Extra Stout. This beer is nicely complex in flavor (probably due to the extra alcohol) and lighter than usual. I enjoyed a glass after a 5 mile run.

04-06-2010 03:37:34 | More by allforbetterbeer
CrazyDavros

Australia

3.45/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours solid black with a dark brown head. Darkest head I've seen in a long time.
Massive aroma of cocoa and dark chocolate, molasses, with some roasted coffee and barley in the background. Pretty full on.
More massively roasted flavours (but no burnt notes!). Some sweet alcohol shows but is balanced by huge roasted barley notes. A big beer! Quite sweet. A bit too much alcohol?
Quite creamy body, the carbonation is a little high.

04-01-2010 09:16:46 | More by CrazyDavros
drizzam

Wisconsin

4.03/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from the brown bottle into a clear pint glass. No discernible freshness date.

A - OPAQUE dark brown/black in color topped by a creamy one finger tan head. Head retention is excellent and a frothy wall of lacing is left down the inside of my glass.

S - Dark malt abounds in the nose, with plenty of bitter chocolate and maybe a hint of dark fruit, raisins or figs perhaps?

T & M - The dark bitter chocolate I smelled in the nose is certainly present on the palate. There is also an underlying sweet, almost fruity taste that lingers in the background. Medium bodied, maybe not as chewy as I would have liked but not bad.

D - A very good stout, and it certainly is unique compared to other stouts I have partaken in. A little higher ABV, but that is a characteristic of foreign stouts. This is certainly a delicious offering from Lion brewery...one I would certainly recommend.

03-29-2010 21:48:41 | More by drizzam
mtnbikerpa

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured from a 11.2 bottle with no freshness date. Poured extremely dark with a copious amount of tan head. Sticky foamy lacing on the side of the glass. Strong malty scent. Heavy malts and cocoa flavors. Pretty smooth mouth feel. Not really drinkable enough to go for another. A lot of other stouts out there with more flavor. Paired pretty decent with some fresh blackberries and blueberrys and yogurt.

03-26-2010 14:58:23 | More by mtnbikerpa
brewerburgundy

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

11.2oz can, champagne flute, no canned on date.

Opaque with dark chocolate, ruby highlights. Initially overflowing foam that calms down almost too much. Tight silky bubbles.

Alcohol and port. Dark wine berry with an alcoholic edge. A little creamy with a decent toffee note.

The port characteristic is very strong, creamy and would seem to indicate oxidation, but I don't think that's the case. Some full raspberry, blueberry, grape slightly musty sweetness. Same toffee with a nip of coffee in the back. Port like alcohol and molasses.

Fine carbonation with a body that isn't thick.

If I am ever in Sri Lanka or nearby I know what to drink. The can is really good looking, with a proud lion and simple black, red, white only scheme. Try this stout if you run across it.

03-26-2010 03:05:34 | More by brewerburgundy
Spiekerbox

2.55/5  rDev -35.1%

A: Dark brown-black appearance with thick dark head. Head lingers for a short time not as long as many I have seen

S: Somewhat chocolaty with hits of coffee, rather bland, nothing exceptional but still decent.

T: Hints of chocolate and hints of coffee, more bitter than what I would expect of a stout, slight hoppiness that is hard to notice at first.

M: Thick mouthfeel with strong taste of alcohol, the 8% alcohol comes out strongly, not covered up well by beer itself.

D: The 22 oz. bottle I drank it from was enough for me, after finishing to bottle was full and had little desire to drink the other beer I had bought for the night.

03-26-2010 02:55:18 | More by Spiekerbox
hawks10

3.53/5  rDev -10.2%

12oz. can poured into my Sam Adams perfect pint glass...

As always, hard to rate the appearance of a stout, pours a coffee black capped with a nice two finger light tan head. A thin tan film remains of top of the beer for most of the drink...

So I am getting the sensation from the nose that I am about to take communion...I swear, this beer smells like red communion wine. Sweet and a bit sour up front, dark fruits, some fig and maybe some borderline rotten plum. A bit of a roasted malt aroma peeks out but it is pushed back down again by that almost sour red wine smell...

A slight sour taste at first (starting to wonder if this can is somehow bad)...dark fruits dominate the taste and almost reminds me of a Belgian Quad or Strong Dark. Little to no roasted flavor or bitterness as I would have expected, just a slight burn from the alcohol...

Medium bodied and pretty slick. Good carbonation and a nice subtle burn from the alcohol make this a beer with pretty damn good mouthfeel...

The wine like and slightly sour aroma and taste was not what I was expecting and really not my favorite. Interesting stout to say the least and something I may try again if I could find it on tap...

03-24-2010 04:45:43 | More by hawks10
Jmoore50

Nevada

4.28/5  rDev +8.9%

Bottle dated 4-29-08. Has a picture of Michael Jackson on the back of it, awesome. This one actually caught me off guard, never heard of it so I was not expecting much. It has been aging a while, but damn, this one is delicious.

Pours a tan one finger head that is super fluffy. Dark black with dark brown edges, this one looks good. Medium leg with no lacing.

The smell is dark sweet fruits with chocolate, coffee, booze, bitter cocoa, all mellow and blending really well.

The taste is delicious. The booze pushes out the chocolate and coffee, which both bind very well on the palate. It is still carbonated, and the carbonation is pretty strong. It sits heavy on the palate, and finishes with aftertastes of chocolate covered cherries and alcohol. This one was a very pleasant surprise, and my BIF partner is owed a very large thanks because I now realize that all of the stouts that he gave me have a year of age on them.
J

03-24-2010 01:46:01 | More by Jmoore50
Flashsp2

New Mexico

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

12oz Lion Stout into snifter

A soft pour generates a black body with ruby and brown highlights with
a two inch creamy tan head. Nice stick on the way down, and a creamy
top lingers forever.

Nose is dark fruits and a soft sweetness. Roasty malt and lightly
cream and sugar coffee. Some soft milk chocolate.

A soft and delicate carbonation brings forth a palette of lightly
roasted breakfast blend coffee, melted milk chocolate, and a touch of
earthyness from the hops.

Easy drinking, soft and supple. Not intense, but the balance and
complexity are great. I concur with The Beer Hunter, this is a great
beer.

03-15-2010 22:37:37 | More by Flashsp2
NewGeneric

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Thanks to Dan for the great selection at the store.
Poured into my Guinness pint glass.

A: Pours a dark brown/black with deep ruby/brown hues around the edges. Good amount of thick foam subsides medium-slow leaveing lacing all the way around the whole way down. A thin layer of head sits on top.

S: Chocolate up front, followed by some robust roasted barley and slim amounts of dark fruits. Some hints of alcohol seep through as well.

T: Big chocolate and coffee up front, followed by dark fruits, and a big, bold roasty finish.

M: Fairly creamy, with plenty of body. Not much of a bite, and overall very smooth. A little bit of alcohol is noticeable, but not much. Leaves a slightly overslicked feeling as well.

D: While this beer does not blow me away in any given category, it goes down smooth, and can easily be followed by more. Yes!

03-11-2010 07:17:21 | More by NewGeneric
Bestuurder

Ontario (Canada)

4.78/5  rDev +21.6%

Exceptional beer! Poured from a standard brown bottle into a 350cl dunkel glass.

The colour was dark, black and non-luminous. With a beautiful brown head about an inch thick, with balanced lacing throughout consumption.

Excellently balanced with hard malt and chocolate notes. Mild off-bitterness to the nose and moderate coffee aroma.

Flavour is pronounced and affectionate. Chocolate, coffee and oak are very apparent. The higher alcohol can be noted on swirling, but not over-powering.

Drinkability and mouthfeel go together very well. Very easy on the palate and another bottle is of easy consumption.

Overall, this is fantastic brew that deserve higher credit amongst all dark brew drinkers. Very balanced and original.

Cheers.

03-08-2010 02:16:12 | More by Bestuurder
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

For some reason, this is called Sinha Stout in Canada...

This beer pours a deep black, with slight copper edges, and two fingers of soapy light brown head, which leaves a dense ring of lace around the glass as it recedes. It smells of dark chocolate, and mild coffee. The taste is semi-sweet chocolate, roasted malt, licorice, a bit of black coffee, and some soft alcohol warming. The carbonation is quite low, the body medium weight, slick, and smooth, and it finishes off-dry, an increasing bitterness evening things out nicely.

A pretty good strong stout, the alcohol barely noticeable, and decently drinkable.

03-06-2010 22:33:02 | More by biboergosum
MPLS

3.85/5  rDev -2%

Ahhhh...nothing like a 6-pack of Sri-Lankian stout, in cans.

A: This is a deep brown bodied stout that had a billowy head that had a short stay. Spotty lacing and a saliva like tan layer is left throughout the whole beer.

S: This has a milk stout smelling nose. A fair amount of malt that's not overly roasted and a faint vanilla scent.

T: The taste is a bit better than the nose. Incredibly drinkable. Malty sweetness and a bit of dark chocolate. The finish is where the roastedness comes out and it quite floral with whatever hops are used.

M: It's lighter than most, but very appropriate for the style. Has a bit too much carbonation to make it lush and creamy.

D: The ABV is hidden incredibly well and it's a good effort. It's pretty well balanced, not exciting though. It's an economic purchase though.

03-02-2010 04:54:35 | More by MPLS
TMoney2591

4.18/5  rDev +6.4%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Pours a lovely brown-black, with a healthy layer of tan frothy head. The smell holds fragments of chocolate, molasses, prunes, figs, and espresso. The taste starts off with a chocolatey maltiness, but then progesses into those figs, plums, and currants, finishing with a tinge of light coffe and brown sugar at the back of the tongue. The body is more medium than heavy, runs very smoothly, and finishes nice and lightly, making for a highly tasty and drinkable stout.

02-24-2010 01:40:07 | More by TMoney2591
elgiacomo

Georgia

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

330ml bottle pours very dark brown with a large tan head that retains well and leaves a moderate amount of lacing.

Aroma is sweet chocolate, coffee, some licorice, figs, dark fruits, and lactose.

Flavor is smooth milk chocolate, coffee, some licorice, touch of sourness, alcohol is well hidden. A lactic quality is present.

Mouthfeel is somewhat thin, but still velvety for what is there, low carbonation.

Very good overall, but I like Fade to Black a little better. If you prefer milk stouts, then you will like Lion Stout a lot, an amped up version of the style.

02-15-2010 02:08:52 | More by elgiacomo
Halcyondays

4.33/5  rDev +10.2%

21.1 oz. bottle, a weird size, real heavy bottle, great label,

A: Pours black, with a creamy medium tan head, good retention and some spotty lace.

S: Light cacao count dark chocolate, like the 60% stuff, licorice, with a hint of banana liqueur and rum, it's a tropical stout for Pete's sake.

T: Great chocolate taste with some sour twang and that "tropical" dark malt character I find in Cooper's Export Stout and Xingu. Definite mocha characteristics, with notes of cinnamon stick, vanilla bean and roasted malt.

M: On the lighter side body for a big stout, but I like it as this is a style that needs to be drinkable and refreshing in the hot sun. Creamy and silky, enjoyable aftertaste that doesn't go on for too long, but makes you want another sip. That finishing vanilla note works wonders. The 8% is completely hidden.

D: I was excited to see a bottle of this at Hollingshead's; I've always wanted to try it, I'm a big fan of the style, yet there are so few examples around town. The price is real good, I think it was $3.99, and you get a delicious stout perfect for a hot summer day, a beer that can be drunk in droves, so be careful out there.

02-09-2010 02:56:00 | More by Halcyondays
tone77

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured from a brown 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head, considerable lacing. Smells great, chocolate, malts, coffee, slight alcohol. Taste is good chocolate, malts, finishing a tad bitter. Feels creamy in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this is a fine brew.

02-06-2010 13:46:41 | More by tone77
boudreaux

Alabama

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

The local stores are starting to branch out. They got this in the other day.
Nice stout roasted malt aroma with hints of ginger and, dare I say it, soy sauce. Very intriguing.
Pours pitch black with a voluminous medium brown head which lingers for a while as it gradually sinks down to a small creamy film on top of the beer.
As for the taste, there's rich deep fruit and chocolate/coffee flavors, tempered by the stout sourness typical of this style. It finishes with a bitter chocolate taste that has a moderate duration.

02-06-2010 08:16:33 | More by boudreaux