Lion Stout - Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited

Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited visit their website
Sri Lanka

Foreign / Export Stout |  8.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lion Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,506 | Reviews: 886
4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance: Deep black body is topped with a brown "mocha" head.

Smell: Main smells are dark chocolate, coffee and toffee. There is a slight hint of alcohol.

Taste: In a word, wonderful! The coffee taste dominates when the beer is chilled and roasted malts start to take over as the beer warms. Along the way there is a hint of chocolate. There is a slight alcohol burn in the aftertaste, which should probably be expected from an ABV of almost 9%.

Mouth feel: The beer is creamy but feels heavy, likely from the high ABV.

Overall: This is a very good stout from an unlikely place (Sri Lanka). The coffee and chocolate tastes are perfectly balanced, the aroma is great, and the alcohol content is just right for a stout (in my opinion). I would definitely drink this again.

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

This beer poured a nice thick brown/black if you will with a tan one finger tan head. It appeared to be nice and creamy from the pour. As soon as I poured, I could smell chocolate, roasted malts, and some fruits. After it settled I caught a fresh moca aroma. The taste was chocolatey with the roasted malts and moca present, with smokey after notes to follow. It was rich and filling and I found it quite easy to drink. Definitely a great beer to enjoy whenever you can find it.

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Let me start by saying my wife went on a "girl weekend in New Orleans and brought home five sixpacks of great beer. WOW.

Great looking beer, pours dark as night with a full two finger caramel head which stay a while before settling to a 1/4 inch. good lacing all the way thru the drink. Poured from 11.2 oz bottle to a snifter at fifty degrees.

damn good smell too, roasted malt, caramel toffee, mild coffee. Can smell a bit of bitter hops at the end. Really nice well blended smell.

Pretty complex, taste as well as it smells. I get a stronger coffee with slight sweetness. Not as bitter on the end as I would like

This beer surprised me in a good way, wasn't expecting this. Overall an exellent beer and would give two thumbs up. Give this one a try.

3.57/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours opaque; black with ruby hues when held up to a light source. A big tan head tops this black beer.

Smells of heavy roasted malts, dark chocolate, coffee, a hint of nuts, licorice and it trails off with a bit of caramel. Pretty intense and complex aromas here.

Tastes a little sweeter than expected. Caramel and toffee really come through, followed by the intense roastiness I was preparing myself for. Dried fruits pop up too followed by a lightly fruit like hop flavour, finishes on a nice dry roasty note.

Full bodied and a fair amount of carbonation; the mouthfeel is creamy and exceptional! This is a great stab at a style that isn't available as often as I would like.

I've always though of Export Stouts being like a mixed beer, Dry Imperial Stout, if you could imagine that hybrid. That being said, the drinkability suffers a little bit... 8%, full flavour, with a full, full body; but very delicious.

2.56/5  rDev -34.7%

A: Dark brown-black appearance with thick dark head. Head lingers for a short time not as long as many I have seen

S: Somewhat chocolaty with hits of coffee, rather bland, nothing exceptional but still decent.

T: Hints of chocolate and hints of coffee, more bitter than what I would expect of a stout, slight hoppiness that is hard to notice at first.

M: Thick mouthfeel with strong taste of alcohol, the 8% alcohol comes out strongly, not covered up well by beer itself.

D: The 22 oz. bottle I drank it from was enough for me, after finishing to bottle was full and had little desire to drink the other beer I had bought for the night.

3.94/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This one was stamped with a B/B date of 2006/06/26, purchased in Tokyo.

Poured out a typical stout, jet black bottom with a nice and thick, foamy brown head. Retention was okay, head fell to a brown lacing within a few minutes.

Pleasant aroma. Lightly fruity, like berries, strong caramel and roasted/sweet malt aroma. Slight alcohol presence in the nose. Hints of mocha, and some bittersweet chocolate too.

Dry taste with a finish that leaves the palette wet. Bitter bite. Mocha/coffee taste definitely resurfaces itself on the tongue, powdery feel. Bittersweet chocolate was also strong in the taste, with a sweet accent of fruits and caramel. Mouthfeel was not as creamy as I would've hoped, body was overall light and a bit watery.

8% ABV isn't all that noticeable and this is definitely a very drinkable stout. Still, it's not all quite there. Pitted against the Ji-Biru stout from Baird, I'd say this one comes out on top by a slight edge because it's a bit more complex and has a more interesting taste. Enjoy!

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%

Purchased a small growler at Halftime in Poughkeepsie, on the lookout for a beer from Sri lanka for a work project.
Above average head poured into three plastic cups poolside, smelled more "boozy" than anything else. Tasted sweet and malty, too sweet for my taste, and a bit oily.
Perhaps worth a try, but I would not purchase again.

4.69/5  rDev +19.6%

Served in a plain pub pint glass. 1 in. dark brown head. dark black color with lacing.

Smell was heavy in malt, coffee, and a hint of chocolate and hops at the end.

Initial flavor of roasted malt with coffee and chocolate flavors. finished with some residual sweetness.

Thick and creamy mouth-feel

Wow.... really good stout!!! That's all i can even say... On my list of new favorites for sure. I can't wait to have another

3.96/5  rDev +1%

Pours very dark and clear with a brown head. No strong smells here, picked up on roasted barley a little bit. Flavor was a pleasant surprise, sweet and malty. Light carbonation in the mouth that almost seems to turn into a milky consistency. Roasty and almost chocolatey. Dangerously easy to drink for a beer of this gravity, which is well masked throughout. A fantastic beer that will not disappoint.

3.99/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours very dark and sexy. Very frothy thick dark tan head, beatiful lacing. Smells of malt, and dark sweet fruit. Taste is absolute. Dark rich aroma of light burnt dark fruit. Malt is present yet light with a bit of strong boozy taste. Actually the fruitiness is vey strong in this beer to what expected. Definitely one of my favorites. Cheers.

3.88/5  rDev -1%

Poured a very dark brown with hints of red around the edges of the glass. A nice foamy tan head stuck around for quite a while and left nice clumps of lacing along the sides of the glass. The smell was of dark malts and dark chocolate. The taste wsa pretty good with hints of licorice, caramel, and fresh roasted coffee. The mothfeel was nice and creamy, and rather smooth too. I could drink these all night, too bad I only picked up one bottle of this.

4.07/5  rDev +3.8%

pours jet black with a espresso creme type head

aroma is perplexing. i get lots of coconut and vanilla, marshmallow, but little if any roasted character.. odd

taste follows the same lines, a deliciously rich sweet drink right from the get go. full and silky with a vanilla sort of sweetness, and maybe a hint of mocha, round and sweet on the finish, but not cloying. no expression of its strength on the palate.

mouthfeel is a bit sweet for a session beer. it's wonderful stuff, but there's little backed against the sweet malt to hold balance. for dessert though, wonderful. sipper.

drinkability is decent. though i wouldn't want a bunch in one sitting it sure is tasty stuff and very well made. the character of the ale is perplexing, like i said. it looks charred but doesn't taste or smell of it. alcohol is well hidden.

4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

A fairly firm pour into a large wine glass produced a one-finger tan head that dissipated pretty quickly into traces. The traces stayed around, though. Quite dark, nearly opaque. Looks nice, but not really exceptional in any way.

The smell is really pretty nice, though. Roasted and malty, a tinge of coffee-ish, dark chocolatey...and a bit fruity in that deep way like raisins baked in a muffin. Smells yummy.

And tastes yummy, too. There are pretty strong flavours here, but it's balanced. There's a citrusy sourness that's balanced off against the deeper raisiny fruitiness, and the roasty malty part.

The mouthfeel is pretty full, and the moderate carbonation balances it really well. The viscosity is there that you'd expect at 8% but it's not syrupy. It feels good to slowly swish it around and let it wander.

Drinkable? Sure. It's easy to drink. It's a nice drink to sit down with on a cold winter evening, and if you've got some dark chocolate to go with it, that would be lovely.

This is a plenty nice beer. I've had it twice before, and this was my first time really carefully thinking about it. I liked it enough to come back. I'll be back again.

Average porter. Average price. Average... ho hum... blah... move on... If you want something interesting, certainly don't look here. This beer is a porter... sure... it's a porter... yup... it sure is a porter! I'm pretty certain it's a porter. It tastes and looks and smells like a porter. It's a porter allright! I'm bored of this porter. It's unremarkable and average all the way through. Certainly an excellent find if it's on a bargain shelf but I'm sure you can find better tasting porters near you and not from halfway across the world... Unless you live in Sri Lanka!

Yikes!

Definitely in my top 3, all-time favorite Stout list. Right up there with Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout and Young's Double Chocolate.

Pours an immediate 4 fingers of head and leaves an impenetrable quilted layer of pillowy, chocolately goodness. No need for lacing because the head stays to visit for the entire vacation. The smell and taste is 100% chocolate. Mouthfeel is silky and luxurious. Drinkability is incredibly high however at 8% I was feeling tingly pretty quick.

I was definitely shocked and pleasantly surprised at how good this beer is. Highly recommended.

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

Molasses black color, poured like molasses too. Thick with a and syrupy with a large beige head disappearing quickly. Some sparse lacing

Smells like tree bark. Well roasted coffee.

Tastes the same as smell, with a touch of metal.

A chewable beer. Consistency somewhere between coffee and espresso.

Drinkable for the abv

4.23/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance: Very nice looking jet black body with light tan beige color head.

Smell: Dark chocolate smell with hues of alcohol.

Taste: Great heavy chocolate taste with strong body flavors. Makes a nice balanced blend of tastes.

Mouthfeel: Light but balanced flavor that makes for a good overall texture.

Drinkability: Great drinkability with its abundant intense flavors that collaborate into an enjoyable beer.

3.66/5  rDev -6.6%

Picked this up at the LCBO, was surprised to see its rating so I figured I'd give it a try. The packaging is different in Canada, going under the name "Sinha".

A - Good amount of frothy mocha head. The retention is quite respectable, hanging around as a film for many minutes. The lacing is also good, leaves several thin strands around the glass.
S - Hmmm, not too many bold flavours jump out. I'm mainly greeted by a cold coffee aroma that I am hoping will dissipate as it warms. Extremely subtle hints of milk chocolate are also present, but don't really pronounce themselves.
T - So starting with a bottle fresh out of the fridge, it has that kind of cold and thin coffee taste that carries through into the taste, along with a sweet chocolate flavour. Roasted malts definitely carry through in the finish, which is a saving grace for the taste.

After it has the chance to warm up the flavours come together much more nicely, as one would expect. That kind of old, cold coffee taste remains, but is pleasantly subdued with heavy roasted malts and much darker chocolate notes.

M/D - A little more carbonation and a bit lighter than I prefer a stout, but all in all it's pretty easy drinking and doesn't have that syrupy feeling that some other cheaper ones have.

O - I'd say it's a pretty solid stout. It lacks the character and intensity of heavier stouts from more well-known breweries, but it's still drinkable and is by no means off-putting.

4.42/5  rDev +12.8%

This a very enjoyable beer. I had it from a snifter which served to enhance the toffee-like smell of the stout. It has a dark brown almost black color to it, with a rather tan head. Unlike a lot of the stouts that I have tried, this one has a nice clean finish to it, does not leave an overpowering after-taste and has a good body. I would label the taste as being a reserved blend of chocolate and caramel. I highly recommend this beer, especially to those who enjoy dark lagers and are looking for the same in a stout.

3.7/5  rDev -5.6%

12-ish oz bottle to glass. Good stout, has classic roasted flavors, not as heavy mouthfeel as I expected. Fairly easy to drink. Wouldn't guess this is 8% alcohol, very balanced. Left a little sludge in my glass, guess I should drink faster next time. Would buy again.

3.37/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Black with a massive and dark tan, creamy looking head that has great lasing.

S: First thing I get strangely enough is fruit, like raisins and plums, soaked in rum. It kind of overpowers the roasty goodness that I usually like in a stout. To be honest, it's a little off-putting. There is some strange odor that doesn't feel like it should be in a beer. Almost smells like a wine, and I'm not fond of wine.

T: Very fruity and a hint of roasted malts on the back end. The more I sip this beer, the better it gets as it seems to build a layer of delicious dark, but not really dark, chocolate across my tongue. The best part of the taste, is IMO after you swallow and let it mellows. As it warms, the alcohol makes itself known.

M: Medium, I was a bit shocked, and this beer makes me long for that heavy chewiness I love. Good amount of carbonation. Creamy... nice.

Overall I was expecting this to be an A- beer, but it surely was not for me. This beer was way too fruity and thin bodied for my taste. Not roasty, no coffee, not a whole lot of chocolate. Not my cup of tea.

3.19/5  rDev -18.6%

A- Black with super 3 finger head that dissipate to a nice lace.

S- Coffee & malt

T- Sweet coffee, alcohol, malts, fruit/spice

M- Bubbly, maybe watery

O- Should be stronger & richer for a Stout. Alcohol and coffee mingle to make a anise/spice flavor.

Might Drink
Wouldn't Buy
Wouldn't Make

3.06/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2oz bottle in Unibroue Maudite snifter.

32308 18:18 printed in yellow on the neck. It tastes like it could be from March 2008.

Michael Jackson is pictured on the back, it's from Sri Lanka, an 8% "Stout" and only costs 2 bucks a bottle. This is why my friend in AZ picked it up for me.

Very good head retention. I'm likely marking off because the appearance isn't as impressive as other bis stouts I've had due to this one most likely not having oat and significantly less-hopped. Aroma nowhere near compares to most big stouts I've had.

Has those Euro Big Stout flavours, like Sam Smith Imp Stout or a Baltic Porter - toffee, tootsie roll, grape jelly and berries, port. I suppose that is the "Export Stout" flavor. I get some sweet wine-like flavors (but not very woody), some dessert-like creaminess (chocolate mousse, maybe carrot cake?), and some hazelnut. I'm not that familiar with carob, but I think it tastes a like a carob dessert.

Thick and the alcohol is not present in the taste.

I didn't know Sri Lanka exported beer. It's probably pretty good there. If I was ever near Sri Lanka, I'd love to try in there.

Not bad. I'd recommend it for the price, but I wouldn't seek it out. A little sweet for my tastes., I'd like some more roastiness and hop presence. I much prefer American Imperial Stouts, like Victory Storm King for example; although I realize this is a different brew in many ways. I would bet most would like more than me though...

4.18/5  rDev +6.6%

The first mistake I made with this stout was to compare it to other stouts(mostly Northern European).My second sampling was taken without the considerations to the others and provided a more non-biased analysis.
This beer is now one of my favorite stouts and will probably work its way on to my top ten overall.A well balanced beer that offered pleasure all the way through.I even enjoyed watching the head give off red rings around the bubbles while dissipating.I think even Alcopop drinkers would like this beer.
My only complaint would be the somewhat fizzy carbonation,but that again is noticed because of comparison to other stouts.I will definitely be having more of this.With cooler weather coming, I may have to stock some.

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

Exceptional beer! Poured from a standard brown bottle into a 350cl dunkel glass.

The colour was dark, black and non-luminous. With a beautiful brown head about an inch thick, with balanced lacing throughout consumption.

Excellently balanced with hard malt and chocolate notes. Mild off-bitterness to the nose and moderate coffee aroma.

Flavour is pronounced and affectionate. Chocolate, coffee and oak are very apparent. The higher alcohol can be noted on swirling, but not over-powering.

Drinkability and mouthfeel go together very well. Very easy on the palate and another bottle is of easy consumption.

Overall, this is fantastic brew that deserve higher credit amongst all dark brew drinkers. Very balanced and original.

Cheers.