Lion Stout | Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review

Lion StoutLion Stout

Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited
Sri Lanka | website

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

The dark caramel, large dense headed brew, with its 8.8% alcoholic content, is unique due to its sweet notes of chocolate and coffee interspersed into a foundation of dark roasted barley. Symbolic black to denote leadership, power, focus and strength, is dominant in the labeling as the lion journeys in the twilight unafraid, unbowed and unchallenged.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2001

Reviews: 889 | Ratings: 1,576

Average porter. Average price. Average... ho hum... blah... move on... If you want something interesting, certainly don't look here. This beer is a porter... sure... it's a porter... yup... it sure is a porter! I'm pretty certain it's a porter. It tastes and looks and smells like a porter. It's a porter allright! I'm bored of this porter. It's unremarkable and average all the way through. Certainly an excellent find if it's on a bargain shelf but I'm sure you can find better tasting porters near you and not from halfway across the world... Unless you live in Sri Lanka!

Yikes!

Definitely in my top 3, all-time favorite Stout list. Right up there with Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout and Young's Double Chocolate.

Pours an immediate 4 fingers of head and leaves an impenetrable quilted layer of pillowy, chocolately goodness. No need for lacing because the head stays to visit for the entire vacation. The smell and taste is 100% chocolate. Mouthfeel is silky and luxurious. Drinkability is incredibly high however at 8% I was feeling tingly pretty quick.

I was definitely shocked and pleasantly surprised at how good this beer is. Highly recommended.

4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

Molasses black color, poured like molasses too. Thick with a and syrupy with a large beige head disappearing quickly. Some sparse lacing

Smells like tree bark. Well roasted coffee.

Tastes the same as smell, with a touch of metal.

A chewable beer. Consistency somewhere between coffee and espresso.

Drinkable for the abv

4.23/5  rDev +7.6%

Appearance: Very nice looking jet black body with light tan beige color head.

Smell: Dark chocolate smell with hues of alcohol.

Taste: Great heavy chocolate taste with strong body flavors. Makes a nice balanced blend of tastes.

Mouthfeel: Light but balanced flavor that makes for a good overall texture.

Drinkability: Great drinkability with its abundant intense flavors that collaborate into an enjoyable beer.

3.66/5  rDev -6.9%

Picked this up at the LCBO, was surprised to see its rating so I figured I'd give it a try. The packaging is different in Canada, going under the name "Sinha".

A - Good amount of frothy mocha head. The retention is quite respectable, hanging around as a film for many minutes. The lacing is also good, leaves several thin strands around the glass.
S - Hmmm, not too many bold flavours jump out. I'm mainly greeted by a cold coffee aroma that I am hoping will dissipate as it warms. Extremely subtle hints of milk chocolate are also present, but don't really pronounce themselves.
T - So starting with a bottle fresh out of the fridge, it has that kind of cold and thin coffee taste that carries through into the taste, along with a sweet chocolate flavour. Roasted malts definitely carry through in the finish, which is a saving grace for the taste.

After it has the chance to warm up the flavours come together much more nicely, as one would expect. That kind of old, cold coffee taste remains, but is pleasantly subdued with heavy roasted malts and much darker chocolate notes.

M/D - A little more carbonation and a bit lighter than I prefer a stout, but all in all it's pretty easy drinking and doesn't have that syrupy feeling that some other cheaper ones have.

O - I'd say it's a pretty solid stout. It lacks the character and intensity of heavier stouts from more well-known breweries, but it's still drinkable and is by no means off-putting.

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

This a very enjoyable beer. I had it from a snifter which served to enhance the toffee-like smell of the stout. It has a dark brown almost black color to it, with a rather tan head. Unlike a lot of the stouts that I have tried, this one has a nice clean finish to it, does not leave an overpowering after-taste and has a good body. I would label the taste as being a reserved blend of chocolate and caramel. I highly recommend this beer, especially to those who enjoy dark lagers and are looking for the same in a stout.

3.37/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Black with a massive and dark tan, creamy looking head that has great lasing.

S: First thing I get strangely enough is fruit, like raisins and plums, soaked in rum. It kind of overpowers the roasty goodness that I usually like in a stout. To be honest, it's a little off-putting. There is some strange odor that doesn't feel like it should be in a beer. Almost smells like a wine, and I'm not fond of wine.

T: Very fruity and a hint of roasted malts on the back end. The more I sip this beer, the better it gets as it seems to build a layer of delicious dark, but not really dark, chocolate across my tongue. The best part of the taste, is IMO after you swallow and let it mellows. As it warms, the alcohol makes itself known.

M: Medium, I was a bit shocked, and this beer makes me long for that heavy chewiness I love. Good amount of carbonation. Creamy... nice.

Overall I was expecting this to be an A- beer, but it surely was not for me. This beer was way too fruity and thin bodied for my taste. Not roasty, no coffee, not a whole lot of chocolate. Not my cup of tea.

3.19/5  rDev -18.8%

A- Black with super 3 finger head that dissipate to a nice lace.

S- Coffee & malt

T- Sweet coffee, alcohol, malts, fruit/spice

M- Bubbly, maybe watery

O- Should be stronger & richer for a Stout. Alcohol and coffee mingle to make a anise/spice flavor.

Might Drink
Wouldn't Buy
Wouldn't Make

3.06/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2oz bottle in Unibroue Maudite snifter.

32308 18:18 printed in yellow on the neck. It tastes like it could be from March 2008.

Michael Jackson is pictured on the back, it's from Sri Lanka, an 8% "Stout" and only costs 2 bucks a bottle. This is why my friend in AZ picked it up for me.

Very good head retention. I'm likely marking off because the appearance isn't as impressive as other bis stouts I've had due to this one most likely not having oat and significantly less-hopped. Aroma nowhere near compares to most big stouts I've had.

Has those Euro Big Stout flavours, like Sam Smith Imp Stout or a Baltic Porter - toffee, tootsie roll, grape jelly and berries, port. I suppose that is the "Export Stout" flavor. I get some sweet wine-like flavors (but not very woody), some dessert-like creaminess (chocolate mousse, maybe carrot cake?), and some hazelnut. I'm not that familiar with carob, but I think it tastes a like a carob dessert.

Thick and the alcohol is not present in the taste.

I didn't know Sri Lanka exported beer. It's probably pretty good there. If I was ever near Sri Lanka, I'd love to try in there.

Not bad. I'd recommend it for the price, but I wouldn't seek it out. A little sweet for my tastes., I'd like some more roastiness and hop presence. I much prefer American Imperial Stouts, like Victory Storm King for example; although I realize this is a different brew in many ways. I would bet most would like more than me though...

4.18/5  rDev +6.4%

The first mistake I made with this stout was to compare it to other stouts(mostly Northern European).My second sampling was taken without the considerations to the others and provided a more non-biased analysis.
This beer is now one of my favorite stouts and will probably work its way on to my top ten overall.A well balanced beer that offered pleasure all the way through.I even enjoyed watching the head give off red rings around the bubbles while dissipating.I think even Alcopop drinkers would like this beer.
My only complaint would be the somewhat fizzy carbonation,but that again is noticed because of comparison to other stouts.I will definitely be having more of this.With cooler weather coming, I may have to stock some.

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

Exceptional beer! Poured from a standard brown bottle into a 350cl dunkel glass.

The colour was dark, black and non-luminous. With a beautiful brown head about an inch thick, with balanced lacing throughout consumption.

Excellently balanced with hard malt and chocolate notes. Mild off-bitterness to the nose and moderate coffee aroma.

Flavour is pronounced and affectionate. Chocolate, coffee and oak are very apparent. The higher alcohol can be noted on swirling, but not over-powering.

Drinkability and mouthfeel go together very well. Very easy on the palate and another bottle is of easy consumption.

Overall, this is fantastic brew that deserve higher credit amongst all dark brew drinkers. Very balanced and original.

Cheers.

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from a can into pint glass. Pours black with a two finger breadth of mocha foam that dissipates with no lacing. Smells of coffee and chocolate with hint of alcohol. Taste is quite nice with flavor of coffee and slight sweetness. A solid stout from somewhere that I had never thought to buy beer from. Would buy again.

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

nice thick, deep rich head. black as night color. smells of roasted coffee. tastes of barley and roasted coffee. smooth, sweet, and tasty finish. not dry like an Irish Stout. the alcohol taste is fairly strong. since it is such a rich beer, I would have a difficult time drinking more than a few of these at a time.

3.86/5  rDev -1.8%

A - Pours as black as night, with just a trace of reddish brown the very edge of the glass. Finger and a half of brown cappuccino looking froth. Not much retention, but some very sexy lacing.

S - Not much going on in the nose. Faint smell of coffee. Burnt malts.

T - Bitter chocolate and coffee. Some balancing sweetness. Roasty, burnt, with traces of black licorice. Better when it's good and warm.

M - The alcohol here is noticeable, but is warming. Perfect for where I live right now, like a cocoa or something. Kind of dry for my liking, though.

O - This beer should definitely be consumed at a warmer temp, more flavors work together and the body really starts to come out. Reasonably priced for what it is: a very well rounded stout.

3.05/5  rDev -22.4%

A - Pours deep chocolate brown with 3 fingers of foaming, creamy light brown head

S - Bitter chocolate,Unique smell for the style.. almost like some form of sour burnt sugar comes though with a slight smokiness. Not really pleasant on the nose

T - Bitter chocolate / chocolate milk upfront with a fruity bitterness throughout the middle and alcohol rounding out the back end

M - Medium High mouthfeel on this and lingering cream texture, but also feels a bit chalky. Dry bittering finish on the tongue to end things. Would be difficult to have too many of these with the lingering numbness on the tongue from the alcohol.

O - Not too bad for the price being on the lower end, and has a decent amount of complexity, but something about the strange smell vs the taste kept if a lower rating for me.

3.53/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The bottle lets out a roar of a hiss as I open it
095731726 printed on it
poured into a snifter

Pours black with a reddish light brown head forming quickly despite my gentle pour; I had to pour even more gently to prevent an overabundance of head. Appears to have lots of carbonation. The head dissipates to a thin sticky lacing after 1-2 minutes.

Roasted malts dominating the nose. Faint coffee. A bit of booziness after much agitation.

Roasted malt/coffee flavors first jump out and blast their way through. Weak bitter chocolate in the middle. Alcohol slightly noticeable alcohol as there is some heat in the end

Luckily it did not feel as carbonated as it looked, but still had a thinner body than what I expect from a stout.

Very drinkable, especially for the price. The alcohol is slightly masked, but not so much that you will end up with any surprises. I find it hard to do anything but just sip on it, and I'm fairly accustomed to the strength of big imperial/double stouts.

pretty good all around but not really amazing, great value, may compare in value to old rassy. I need to do a side by side to find out, it's been so long since I've had one

3.2/5  rDev -18.6%

Appearance: Black with a 3/4 inch moderately dark tan head.

Smell: Coffee and a little burnt sugar. Some toffee and caramel in the background.

Taste: Burnt toast and coffee with a handful of carmelized sugar on top.

Mouthfeel: Quick fading carbonation and hardly any hop bitterness.

Drinkability: A bit too astringent on the tongue in the after taste to want another one right away. Not really a sessionable stout.

4.88/5  rDev +24.2%

In one word: Excellent. I do love stouts and I was excited to try one from a country I do not usually purchase beer from. The beer was poured dark brown, almost black with a thick tan head that left decent lacing. It smelled of caramel and raisins. The taste had a tangy start and a malty finish, giving it a great balance. It was fun each time I put it in my mouth and I looked forward to each new sip! The taste, much like the smell also had hints of caramel, raisins, and espresso. The finish was like bittersweet chocolate. Highly recommended.

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

This is the king of the jungle when it comes to stout! This is a great brew from Sri Lanka of all places. I picked this up at the Wine Cellar in Kenwood, OH. If has a deep rich chocolate/roasted coffee flavor that I associate with this style. It has good head retention and solid mouthfeel. so far, it is the best stout I have tasted.

Pours a thick black with a lot of lace through the entire tasting of this fine beverage.

Tastes of chocolate malt, coffee, smokey, and the warming of high gravity.

I think this beer for the money is an excellent brew! I was a little skeptical at first, but I came around and bought it. Who would have know that they make good beer in Sri Lanka.

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

11.2 oz bottle to nonic pint
NFD

A: Pours a thick oil-like black with a 4-finger frothy dark mocha head that was retained moderately well leaving thin lace down the first half of the glass.

S: Chocolate and bitter coffee with dark fruit esters.

T: Sweet roasted malt with a nice warming finish. Bitter coffee linger with raisiny esters upfront. A clean stout flavor.

M: Chewy and smooth. Well-rounded feel with good carbonation to provide a fuller body.

D: Absolutely delicious says my notes and my memory. A great balance between roasted malt and fruity esters.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from a can into a snifter:

Appearance and Smell:Poured a fairly heavy black with a thin creamy head. There was just a hint of brown to the brew, very opaque. This thing really stuck to the edge of the glass nicely. Smelled very roasty, with definite notes of milk chocolate and coffee. A feint liccorice like scent hiding in there, VERY sweet smelling brew, literally.

Taste and Mouthfeel:Tasted of burned sugar and molasses. With plenty of sweet, sweet chocolate and caramel. Felt more creamy than sticky. Very feint bitterness. Finishes dry and sweet. The body had alot more character than I expected.

Drinkability:This thing was a pretty tasty treat. Have seen it around for a while now and finally decided to give it a shot. I could probably enjoy 2-3 of these some night. A very reasonably priced treat, I'll definitely pick up some more of this down the road.

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

An interesting beer these Tropical or Carribean Stouts. Most folks miss the mark and think they are drinking a Foreign or Imperial Stout.

I consider this beer an Imperial Milk Stout with the low IBU's and residual sweetness.

A very good version of the style.

I would love to hear some history of how these island countries came to brew and drink this beer. It comes across as their version of malt liquor!

3.17/5  rDev -19.3%

A very quick developing head, colored like a frappacino sits easily on top of a very very dark dark maroon/black colored almost wine smelling bier. The first sip delivers chocolate and mellow hops. Its almost syrupy constitution lends itself well to the smell, they work very well together. If the taste could develop more of an after taste or carry the flavor further along the tongue it would be an outstanding beer. The alcohol volume is not readily tasted, but comes across in the wine like smell.

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

Served at slightly chilled in my oversized snifter.

A: Pours a very deep brown, almost black. A decent light tan head, which receded fairly quickly. Not much lacing, very slight.

S: Dark chocolate/dark roasted malt combo in the nose. A touch of coffee. A nice vanilla/toffee sweetness as well, oh so slight.

T: Some nice bitter dark chocolate in the front. Very nice dark roasted malts. Coffee. A nice sweetness in the back that I can't quite put my finger on.

M: I wish this was a little bit thicker, and a touch less carbonated. Still, very nice.

D: Drinks very well for 8%. I can hardly detect the alcohol at all. A very tasty stout. I'll be searching this out again.

Lion Stout from Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited