Lion Stout - Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited

Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited visit their website
Sri Lanka

Foreign / Export Stout |  8.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lion Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,506 | Reviews: 886
4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance: Dark,dark, and dark. Used motor oil dark. Minimal head with thick lacing.

Smell: Burnt chocolate, slight coffee aroma, and slight caramel aroma.

Taste:Matches the aroma-chocolety and caramely with a hint of coffee.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth-light on the carbonation. Glides down your throat.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. Very easy to put a few of these down.

Overall a very good stout. Good representation of the style. If ya get a chance pick a few up.

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

Excellent engine oil pour, with a hefty ginger bread color. Chocolate cake, icing, a very sexy nose. The sweetness is balanced by dark burnt raisins, and dark chocolate. The sweetness is piloting and controlling this airplane, but the chocolate covered gingerbread man is rolling in the passenger seat doing work-quitely. I like this stout, very interesting and entertaining while having complexity and drinkablity. A good stout. Creamy, yet carbination to balance it all.

3.17/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours very dark with a substantial, two-finger brown cream head that sticks around for quite a while. Smell is pungent with a powerful alcohol smell. Almost reminds me of the smell of Name Tag beer which isn't the greatest smell in the world. Taste had some coffee and mocha flavors as the bottle suggested. Going to have to pick this up again from somewhere else than world market. Bottle had stuff floating in the bottom of it and tasted old. I have had other bottles from there that had stuff in it as well and just weren't very fresh. I'll update what I find.

3.7/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours black with some deep red coming through at the edges. Ok tan head at first, then dissipates to a slight film.

Aroma is dark chocolate and some dark fruit.

Taste is hugely chocolatey up front giving way to a bit of coffee-like roastiness. Somewhat sweet.

Mouthfeel is very full.

Overall, a pretty good beer.

3.81/5  rDev -2.8%

A: Pours a very delectible blackish haze with an even more appealing one inch of brownish head. However, the retention of the head is deceiving. At first it seems to cling quite nicely but then it turns "turtle" (a.k.a. pulls head into shell).

S: Surprisingly I'm not too impressed by the aroma. It may be because I'm used to it on draft and not a can, but it still lacks the true caramelly essence.

T: This is good, but not great. A nice malty taste comes through, but it still lacks the true "coffee" kind of taste I was expecting. There is a bit of sweetness that overcoats that coffee flavor, but it's still not too overpowering.

M: First it feels a little over carbonated, but then it seems to lack true character at the end. A little too inconsistent for me. It's still fairly decent for a stout.

O: It's a great beer to have if you're preference is malt or dark, but if you're a hop-head (like me) I'd tread carefully. Still give it a shot and let the taste buds experience something new.

4.16/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Malty, toasty aroma. Thick, fairly quickly dissipating bubbly tan head. Flavours include roasted coffee, with sweet malt notes that fade to a nice, smooth bitter and dry finish, and very faint aftertase. Well carbonated, and striking hop presence challenges the sweetness. Warmth follows throughout.

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip glass:

A- Pours jet-black, yet has an interesting high, thick, hazelnut colored head.

S- I really like this one... it has some chocolate and bold coffee aromas, a good strong alcohol smell, and even some caramel smells to round it out.

T- Very strong and sweet up front. The bold, yet balanced coffee and chocolate flavors kick in mid way though. It finishes with a quick bitter punch.

M- Medium carbonation, yet thick or chewy feeling. Quite fitting for what it is.

D- I really like that this stout has so much complexity and depth to it. It's also a great value for the money (at least where I live... something like $10 for a 6-pack). Tastes like it should cost more.

Also interesting to note for those homebrewers out there who may be reusing these bottles: watch out, they are really slippery for some reason. I know it sounds odd, but just try it... take a bottle and start rinsing it out in the sink... it almost has that feeling like when you are trying to wash bleach off of something.

4.12/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from bottle to .4l tulip glass.

Pours as black as you can get with a ridiculous brown head with big bubbles. Head sticks around to give a nice lacing.

Aromas of roast malt, coffee and chocolate on the nose and a bit of alcohol as it is a fairly high ABV.

Tastes great with a thickness to it that gives it some sustainability and is refreshingly not over carbonated. Its sweet but not too sweet and nice and dry throughout while letting the roast flavors through.

I really love this beer and despite the 8% ABV I enjoy it as a session beer or with any of my meals.

4.35/5  rDev +11%

Pours a deep dark reddish color with a massive head that has tight and large bubbles that lace the glass as they recede into the beer. A nice bottle with different shaped labels which is a change from most countries. You receive a nice whiff of chocolate malt when first stick your nose in intialy. Smooth with a roast character that melds around the tongue, you can definitely pickup the alcohol taste which warms you through and through. An excellent interpretation of this great style from a surprising country.

4.07/5  rDev +3.8%

Opaque black in color with 3 finger head and very sporadic lacing on the move. Fruit, coffee, roasted malts and chocolate nose. Chocolate and Coffee flavor with a residual roasted malt note left behind. Thick mouthfeel with a little co2 burn. Decently drinkable, maybe a bit too heavy to drink more then a few.

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

Beautiful dark pour out of the bottle with a classic rich tan head. Very sweet and creamy with hints of licorice, chocolate and nutty thrown into a well crafted Stout. Would recommend anyone who likes stouts to give this a try. A big stout that will surely please even the toughest of critics.

2.91/5  rDev -25.8%

Hadn't seen this stout before so I thought I'd give it a try.

A- Oil black with a small light tan head that dissipates to just a film.

S- Coffee, dried fruit, and very small amount of bitter chocolate.

T- Was not impressed. Burnt coffee fading into dried fruit which then becomes incredibly tanic and sour. Not a fan.

M- Medium mouthfeel, slightly creamy, decent mouthfeel for the genre.

D- If you like the taste I imagine the drinkability would be ok. Unlike many other stouts the 8% ABV definitely shows.

Other BA's seem to like this brew, I, on the other hand did not. Maybe my taste buds are not sophisticated enough lol. For $7 a 6-pack, give it a try and see what you think.

3.96/5  rDev +1%

Lion Stout pours a dark, opaque, espresso brown, with a light brown creamy head. The scent is surprisingly minimal with the rich flavor that follows. Chocolate, coffee, sweet malt, hops and a moderate duration of fine tingling on the tongue. It finishes smooth.

This is a very reasonably priced, relatively complex but, very drinkable stout. What is most surprising is that it is from Ceylon (Sri Lanka).

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

This beer poured a near black and relatively thick consistency. It produced a nice head, and just looked great in the mug. It had a deep flavor that paired exceptionally with my cheese plate. It had a filling mouth feel(which is great to me) and finished really clean.

3.73/5  rDev -4.8%

Picked up a six pack from Val 16 market on 16th and Valencia in San Francisco CA for only 6.99. This beer was picked up February 11 2011, the bottle is dated February 2009. The appearance is black, very black with an inch of initial head that fades quickly. You can see the booze sticking to the sides when i swirl my glass (chalice).
The first thing i smell is cedar, followed by a some what sour milk chocolate scent. It finishes with a dark coffee/toffee smell with a slight tobacco note. I also get a malted chocolate scent.
The taste is unique, at first its kinda grassy, then i get a strange sour note but its not unpleasant. Then i get a big hit of roasted malts, chocolate, coffee and burnt toffee. The booze is very well hidden for a beer that is 8 percent.
The mouth feel is smooth and for a two year old beer there is a decent amount of bubbles. It has a surprisingly dry finish for a stout with such high alcohol. The drink-ability is pretty darn good for an 8 percenter. I can barely taste any booze on this one. Its not some thing you can chug, but its quite smooth.

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I probably tend to over-rate this stout, having spent a year and a half cycling through Southern Asia, but it stands out so much compared to the general run of lackluster beers and second rate stouts that the difference is quite dramatic.

In a geographical area where finding even an 'adequate' beer is problematic, to tumble on a world class stout was a very pleasant shock. I never found this on tap, which I imagine would have been even better, but it ranks second in my experience to a nicely pulled Guinness pint in a pub in Ireland.

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

solid export stout!

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Wow, this stout rocked me. I wasn't expecting much from a Sri Lankain beer, just wanted to taste it for the novelty, and what do you know, I think this is my current favorite stout. Nice creamy mouth feel with out being cloying or sticky. Just a touch of alchol finish, but not to much. Strong semi-sweet/smoky chocolate flavors without overpowering some lovely hop bitterness. Please try this beer.

3.48/5  rDev -11.2%

Pours black as night with a big tan-colored head, although it doesn't seem to retain for very long. Moderate lacing. Roasted, malty, typical stout smell, with some sort of distinct, slightly pungent fruit note I can't quite put my finger on - maybe dates? Mild chocolate notes and kind of an earthy character to the bouquet overall. Taste: Full-bodied, thick-ish feeling front end and a heavy-leaning mouthfeel, which all sort of smoothly vanishes over the palate in the middle, transforming into a slightly odd, pungently sweet finish. I think it's in the finish the high ABV kicks in a touch, turning it into a slightly challenging brew - but still not something you'd readily take for an 8% ABV. A sort of dry, roasty aftertaste lingers, but not bitterly so. Lion Stout used to be one of my stout go-tos before I'd tried very many kinds, and this is my first return to it in a year in which I've been trying a lot of stouts. I'm not sure it is holding up as well as I'd hoped. It's got some character and body and an ABV that packs a little bit of punch; but the flavor combination, to me, is not entirely pleasant; the weird-sweet finish in particular puts me off a little bit. B-.

4.71/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Nicely made stout that I would consider one of my favorites.....Chocolatey and smooth!

3.56/5  rDev -9.2%

Appearance - Pours black with tan head. As many others said, impressive lacing as the beer goes down.

Smell - I thought it was lacking. You definitely get chocolate and fruit. I didn't think the coffee stood out as much as others. I thought it was very average...not great, not bad.

Taste - A little too sweet for my stout likes. Definitely get that semi-sweetness of chocolate.

Mouthfeel - Again, nothing amazing but by no means is it bad. Initially, the beer isn't very active but should deserve credit for mid and after taste, especially nearing the bottom of the bottle.

Drinkability - Here is where the beer shines. Not overwhelming and not extremely heavy. Thought it was very drinkable in terms of "stout-ness". I didn't realize how much I was drinking without taking a second to enjoy it until about half way through it.

Overall, I think it's a solid stout. I probably won't purchase it very often unless I'm trying to get something I haven't had in a while. Love the fact that it's from Sri Lanka, though.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

An intense stout for sure. Kind of harsh the first time; liked it much more the second time.

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

Extremely dark reddish brown mother of a beer. She has a firm light-brown head.
In my nose she is fresh, with rich bread and smooth heavily roasted malt and nice creamy texture; she welcomes me. Now the beautiful mulata caresses my taste buds… So smooth, with dark chocolate, coffee, butterscotchs, a bit of chalk. Still with nerve though, she is not a mere pleaser… So perfectly harmonious curves – I am under her spell!

Later she must leave me - but this dark queen of a beer stays on my tongue and in my mind for long.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours out a deep opaque almost black shade of brown with a healthy dark tan head. As the head recedes it leaves in it's wake a mild amount of lacing.

S- I find a distinct pleasant aroma of soy sauce and cocoa.

T- Up front bitterness with coffee, black strap molasses and a hint of chocolate.

M- Medium bodied with a nice degree of carbonation for the style.

D- I could definitely enjoy this stout on a regular basis, Micheal Jackson was right to put his endorsement on this one.

3.88/5  rDev -1%

A - A nice extremely dark brown to black. Very thick. Great 2 finger dark tan head that disapates slowly.

S - Very strong smell of chocolate and caramel. Almost a roasted nut smell. Delicious none the less.

T - One of the better tasting stouts I have ever had. Starts with a blast of earthy flavors and then blends chocolate and caramel in the mid drink. Finishes with a great mocha/coffee taste.

M - Thick and creamy. Flows around just like any high-caliber stout should.

D - The only reason I gave this a 4 is, as with any stout, you can't drink very many! It is a great start or end beer, but don't plan on drinking this bad boy all night!

Lion Stout from Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited