Lion Stout - Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited

good

Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited visit their website
Sri Lanka

Foreign / Export Stout |  8.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lion Stout Alström Bros

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

Format: Draft. Draft pour is noticeably different than when you buy the can or 330ml bottles. Good head retention.

Appearance: Very black with a creamy Guinness type head.

Aroma: Strong coffee, vanilla/mollassas, dirt, and alcohol. You can smell the 8%abv.

Taste: Strong alcohol bite with good coffee and smoke flavors.

Aftertaste: Smooth with a bit of smoke and earthy coffee flavor. The alcohol bite dies off nicely.

Mouth feel: Thick and chewy, just like a stout should be.

Overall: A well rounded stout overall. Now having had this in the US and Sri Lanka, there is a definite difference in the quality of the beer depending on the location. I've had this in can and bottles in the US, but othing beats having it on Draft in Colombo.

3.7/5  rDev -5.6%

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

3.8/5  rDev -3.1%

3.55/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Format: a solid dark brown 330mL bottle with a standard SEA-style label.

Appearance: a thick, syrupy black beer with a staggeringly creamy - almost greasy looking - two-finger grey and brown head. Drops to a creamy half-finger with decent lacing. Looks good.

Aroma: an interesting combination of coffee, brown sugar and some earthen qualities. Some definite meat / umami flavours too, maybe pork.

Taste: very strong in flavour, which is nice - those roast coffee and earth flavours again, with biting alcohol and plenty of smoke. Doesn't quite seem rounded out, a touch harsh with the alcohol. Still, not bad.

Aftertaste: the sharp alcohol backs off a bit to leave the flavours fairly well combined.

Mouth feel: a thick body that really works quite well. Low in carbonation but just enough to carry plenty of flavour, nice and crisp to boot.

Overall: an decent and unusual stout, a bit expensive at AU$90+ a case. The flavours come across a bit harsh with an alcohol fug, but the flavours are reasonably well rounded. I will have one every now and then.

3.68/5  rDev -6.1%

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

Ok - bit watery

2.98/5  rDev -24%

Recommended to me by a colleague as “A pretty good Stout... and from Sri Lanka” - I had to give it a go, I don’t think I’ve even looked in the general direction of Sri Lanka for anything beer related, so on my beer world tour country #34 is (of course I just told you, put away those sticks - there’s no need for a drumroll): Sri Lanka!

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours really excitable for an 8.8% ABV Stout (I have a 1 inch tan head going on here) with a deep brown, almost black, body and some large chunks of yeast sitting at the bottom of my glass... just noticed the best before date is July 2014, oh :( 5/10.

S: Bit of the old burnt barley, engine oil, roast coffee and dark chocolate aromas happening right now, kinda reminds me of my very first review those many moons ago (you remember Sheaf Stout right?). 6/10.

T: Interesting flavour, an almost sickly sweet prune character (upfront and all over) with some smoke, roasted coffee notes, and indeed as the label proclaims a: “mocha liquor like character”. I’ve underlined the “liquor” part because Sinha are obviously proud of the fact that their Stout has this fusel alcohol note. The aftertaste is quite proportionally metallic as well. 6/10.

M: Medium bodied with a medium, borderline fizzy-as-hell carbonation. 6/10.

D: This brew shies away from greatness due to the odd fusel and almost sickly sweet prune characters which make it more of an oddity than an enjoyable experience, perhaps it’s my own subjective views but Sinha Stout doesn’t do it for me quite nearly as much as Samuel Smith’s Imperial Stout did. I actually found this a bit of a chore to finish, and drinking beer should never become a chore. 6/10.

Food match: I imagine a big Sri Lankan curry would sort this Stout out sharpish.

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

Served on tap in a half pint glass. Got a lot of prune flavor and smell that I haven't gotten from any other beer before.

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

3.4/5  rDev -13.3%

3.16/5  rDev -19.4%

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

3.84/5  rDev -2%

No idea on a bottling date, and because of that, I guess it really doesn't matter when I drank it. Poured from a bottle into a 10oz wine glass.

First off, initial impressions. That is to say, I didn't have any. I had initially grabbed a Evil Twin Doughnut Break, some Ten Fidy, and a Stone Coffee Milk Stout. Once the cashier got to the Stone he just gave me a disapproving look and said "Are you sure you want this? I dont think you want this. Give me ten seconds and I'll get you something better... same price" I respond with a "what the hell, sure" he promptly chucks the Stone, runs off, and returns with a bottle of what looked like a trashy euro brew that your drunk uncle Janek chugs every night in an attempt to finally kill his liver. Sensing my skepticism (a stout made in Sri Lanka? really?), the cashier assures me that this is a quality beer, going so far as offering that i could return the bottle empty and get anything of the same price in exchange.

Persistence pays off, and I walk out with the official stout of MGM studios in my bag.

So lets get to it.

A: Pours an incredibly deep, opaque brown...borderline black, with a fine mocha head. The heady quickly builds to a full finger, and then quickly fades to a thin milky cap with a minimal collar. Appears to be quite thin, as it does not coat the glass much at all when sloshing.

S: Roasted malt, molasses, dark roast coffee, banana, hints of vanilla... and after much deliberation, and many a sniffs as the beer warmed... tobacco. Extremely pleasant aromatics, the layering of which was a very pleasant surprise.

T: Chocolate covered coffee beans, roasted malt, eastern spices, and dark fruit. Possibly raisins or dates. The alcohol is noticeable, but the sweetness and roasted malt/coffee cover it nicely.

M: Well carbonated, no lingering bitterness or aftertaste. Thin and light, with a crisp, clean finish. Not exactly what one looks for in a stout, and easily my biggest problem with this beer.

0: A very unexpected, and pleasant surprise. The aromatics and flavor of this beer left me quite shocked, as it does a great job in both attributes. mouthfeel aside, this is a good beer. Not hunt it down, or a new standby, but one that I could be happy with drinking on most occasions.

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%