Lion Stout - Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited

good

Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited visit their website
Sri Lanka

Foreign / Export Stout |  8.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lion Stout Alström Bros

jmbraxton, Apr 03, 2012

LeoPanna, Dec 13, 2011

Bluegrass49, May 21, 2014

kilobees, May 09, 2014

VFRAZ, Jul 10, 2012

athouve1, Nov 19, 2011

ChainChompsky, Jan 15, 2014

Yikes!

Definitely in my top 3, all-time favorite Stout list. Right up there with Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout and Young's Double Chocolate.

Pours an immediate 4 fingers of head and leaves an impenetrable quilted layer of pillowy, chocolately goodness. No need for lacing because the head stays to visit for the entire vacation. The smell and taste is 100% chocolate. Mouthfeel is silky and luxurious. Drinkability is incredibly high however at 8% I was feeling tingly pretty quick.

I was definitely shocked and pleasantly surprised at how good this beer is. Highly recommended.

mashedpotatoes, Oct 24, 2008

ElGallo, Nov 16, 2011

A- An inky black with a mocha colored head. Nice lacing.

S - An exceptional mocha coffee smell.

T - Vanilla and mocha coffee. Slight bitterness on the back end.

M - Appropriately thick. Well carbonated. Goes down extremely smooth.

D - Exceptional taste, slight alcohol presence and extremely smooth. Dangerously drinkable.

One of the finest stouts I have had the pleasure to enjoy. I have a feeling that the six pack will not last long and I will be going back for more.

cubsfan2004, Nov 16, 2008

dcook11, Nov 17, 2011

DuffDaddy, Oct 02, 2013

EmmetD, Nov 14, 2011

jmpowell, Dec 04, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +26%

This is my go to stout! At any time a bomber of this goes down sooo smooth, almost too smooth. At above 8% it sure has the ability to go down quick. Beautiful in the glass. Dark fruit aroma, with coffee and chocolates as well on the palate. Some may not like it, some may think its too cheap in a sense...but to me, for the price, year round availability and great all around character of this brew, it's a winner. Cheers!

RusImpStoLuv, Feb 25, 2014
4.93/5  rDev +25.4%

Found at local store wanted to try the difference between Guinness foreign extra stout, and a non-Irish foreign extra stout found that Lion was and exceptionally smooth drink with enough kick to make the stout very well in the winter. I've referred this beer to other to definitely put on there list to try

irishbrendan, Jan 08, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +25.4%

This is an exceptional tasting stout. The mix of roasted malts, vanilla, cherry, coffee, and chocolate make this stout among the true leaders in taste. Very easy on the pallet making this stout a good compliment to desserts.

The appearance is pitch black and the aroma is very distinct. The smell of chocolate is strong but does not overpower the subtle aroma of cherry and vanilla.

I would highly recommend this to any fan of stouts!

Ottoman112579, Jun 10, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +24.7%

In one word: Excellent. I do love stouts and I was excited to try one from a country I do not usually purchase beer from. The beer was poured dark brown, almost black with a thick tan head that left decent lacing. It smelled of caramel and raisins. The taste had a tangy start and a malty finish, giving it a great balance. It was fun each time I put it in my mouth and I looked forward to each new sip! The taste, much like the smell also had hints of caramel, raisins, and espresso. The finish was like bittersweet chocolate. Highly recommended.

BlueHammer, Jun 28, 2008
4.9/5  rDev +24.7%

Had this beer back in the day from a beer of the month club and I always wanted to get my hands on it again. This beer pours black with a nice light brown head. Smell is great: coffee, chocolate, caramel and brownies. Taste is even better, sweet dark chocolate with roasted coffee, perfectly balanced so its not overly sweet. Very smooth and drinkable; pair this with chocolate chip brownies at you own discretion cause it may cause a diabetic seizure. This is probably the best stout I can remember having. Near perfect.

saintwarrick, Jul 14, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +24.2%

Lion Stout has an extraordinarily thick, creamy, beige head and a black appearance (light reddish-brown around the edges). The aroma is of dark-roasted malt, licorice, and confectionery sugar. Taste is of licorice, dark-roasted malt, dark chocolate, dark coffee, cream, brandy wine, and grain. The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy, and Lion Stout finishes heavy, sweet, syrupy, and awesomely delicious. Overall, this is one of the best beers I have every had the pleasure to drink. I rate it about as high as one could rate a beer. Terrific!

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Feb 04, 2012
4.88/5  rDev +24.2%

Got 2-6pks from BOTW in Rochester.

The beer pours an opaque nearly jet black colour, very little head.

Smell is of burnt toffee, coffee, chocolate and mocha

Taste is malty upfront, full robust flavours of caramel, chocolate, coffee and toffee. taste is slightly sweet (but not too sweet) with a nice balanced bitterness, this is nearly perfection in my book.

Mouthfeel is excellent, the flavors just explode into the mouth, thick and chewy, for a 9% ABV, this is really drinkable.

This is one of my top 3 beers to drink at any point. This will be a staple in my fridge for the forseeable future.

keithmurray, Dec 10, 2009
4.84/5  rDev +23.2%

A - It's black with a chocolate milk head.

S - It's smells like dark fruit and rum.

T - It tatses like dried fruit, particularly prunes (which i like) and rum at the end.

M - It feels thick.

O - I love it. It is the best stout I've had so far. Sure I've had Guinness . I didn't enjoy Duck-Rabbit's milk stout. I liked North Coast's Old Rasputin, but I like this even more than the others it seems like I can tastes more things. Perhaps the flavors I perceive and enjoy will change in the future.

maketheheartglad, May 27, 2013
4.8/5  rDev +22.1%

This beer is awesome. Truly a great and unique stout.

I found this beer in a 22 oz bottle at a local liquor store. I drank it in two servings. It was ice cold for the first glass. Poured brown with a nice thick head. Sort of creamy with distinct coffee notes.

The second glass (slightly warmer) was much more complex. Simular coffee notes but also subitle fruit flavors appeared. Very easy drinking beer for a stout. Strong in alcohol but not overpowering in alcohol taste.

All in all an awesome and unique beer. I haven't seen it around. I heard rumors that the brewery was not producing it any more. If you see it get... If you like stouts you won't be disappointed.

tendermorsel, Dec 26, 2006
4.8/5  rDev +22.1%

I bought a bottle of this on impulse at a bar that sells beer from around the world. I'd never heard of this brew, but I decided to give Sri Lanka a try.

Wow.

This blew me away. It has a nice chocolatey flavor, but it's thick and smooth at the same time. It's strong enough that you can only have 2 without getting plastered.

I just bought a six pack from a high end liquor store for 9.99. Imagine, swill sells for about 2 dollars less. This will be on frequent rotation in my fridge. A great find!!!!

mambiso1123, May 05, 2009