Lion Stout - Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited

good

Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited visit their website
Sri Lanka

Foreign / Export Stout |  8.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lion Stout Alström Bros
3.15/5  rDev -19.8%

Appearance: Black with a 3/4 inch moderately dark tan head.

Smell: Coffee and a little burnt sugar. Some toffee and caramel in the background.

Taste: Burnt toast and coffee with a handful of carmelized sugar on top.

Mouthfeel: Quick fading carbonation and hardly any hop bitterness.

Drinkability: A bit too astringent on the tongue in the after taste to want another one right away. Not really a sessionable stout.

cyrock1, Mar 07, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -20.4%

The bottle said Sinha stout, but I am sure this is the same thing as well. Pours extremely dark with a large amount of brown foam that quickly disipates to a thin film. Very little lace left on the glass. Smells ripe with dark cherries, plums, chocolate, rum, mollases, and roasted malts. Flavour is quite balanced. Starts out slightly sweet, with an aftertaste of bitter coffee and roasted malts. Mouthfeel is a bit watery, though. As if someone took a good stout and added a litre of water. Still, an overall decent beer. Not sure if it's a dry or sweet stout. Perhaps a hybrid.

slitherySOB, Mar 02, 2006
3.13/5  rDev -20.4%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle.

Appearance: Totally black and opaque, with no highlights. Large, light brown head.

Smell: Caramel malt and sweet chocolate.

Taste: Disappointingly bland-ish, with a little bit of sweet malt but almost nothing on the finish. Uncharacteristic of a foreign export stout.

Mouthfeel: Creamy mouthfeel, light carbonation.

Overall: Not a favorite -- too boring.

fountainofyouth, Feb 14, 2012
3.1/5  rDev -21.1%

A - Pours deep chocolate brown with 3 fingers of foaming, creamy light brown head

S - Bitter chocolate,Unique smell for the style.. almost like some form of sour burnt sugar comes though with a slight smokiness. Not really pleasant on the nose

T - Bitter chocolate / chocolate milk upfront with a fruity bitterness throughout the middle and alcohol rounding out the back end

M - Medium High mouthfeel on this and lingering cream texture, but also feels a bit chalky. Dry bittering finish on the tongue to end things. Would be difficult to have too many of these with the lingering numbness on the tongue from the alcohol.

O - Not too bad for the price being on the lower end, and has a decent amount of complexity, but something about the strange smell vs the taste kept if a lower rating for me.

bjohn84, Jan 23, 2012
3.1/5  rDev -21.1%

11.2 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark red color with nice opacity. The head is a huge, foaming three finger khaki color that descends to one finger after a while. Plenty of lacing is left behind, as well.

S: Big, massive, hugely sweet chocolate. Some dark fruits, as well. Actually, come to think about it, there's a minor whiff of sour cherries - infection, perhaps? We shall see. I still enjoy the aroma greatly, but that foamy head should have been a giveaway.

T: The flavor takes on more of a roasted barley and coffee bean tone, especially at first, while waves of chocolaty sweet and - unfortunately - tart cherries seemingly via an onsetting infection. After a while, the tartness takes center stage. Some herbal hop flavors also try to pop up in the finish, as well. So what we have here is a lightly soured stout, and it kind of works. Not perfectly by any means, but there's enough sweetness here to keep it in check.

M: Quite light in its loafers with wimpy carbonation. There's actually an esophageal burn and a bit of stomach turning which completely tanks the mouthfeel score for me. On the palate proper, it's not particularly dry, but nicely bittersweet'n'sour; whatever the blue hell that's supposed to mean.

O: Infected - it just has to be. But thank Odin it's a minor infection that actually gives it a pleasant twist, instead of twisting my mouth sideways and dissolving my tongue. This clearly isn't the final product as it's intended to be - thankfully I have a penchant for a good Flemish-style ale along side my stout tooth, so I still think it's quite okay.

If you're bottle has "123881841" on it, just be wary.

ThisWangsChung, Dec 25, 2012
3.1/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured from a bottle into a medium, glass goblet.

A - Pours to a black body with a quickly dissipating, one-finger head.

S - A slight hoppy, and almost liquory fragrance (probably due to its 8% alc by vol). Chocolate and coffee are buried underneath this fragrance as well. There's also a slight raisin smell to it.

T - Chocolatey and coffee-like. It has characteristics of a whiskey-like taste (also probably due to its proof). However, the moment it got the slightest bit warm, it got a little hard to drink and slightly unappetizing for me. The flavors, however, make it decently filling.

M - It feels warms on the way down, similar to a whiskey burn, but obviously not as drastic. It is not too thick and not too thin - virtually down the middle (a little on the thicker side, if I had to choose one).

D - Because of the warmth as it goes down, as well as its many flavors, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it with a meal. Personally, I would drink it after as a compliment (with or without a dessert). Because of its flavor and how filling it is, I could really only stomach two at most.

I know that this beer has gotten pretty good reviews, but personally, it's just not for me.

Popkorn615, Mar 10, 2008
3.08/5  rDev -21.6%

11.2oz bottle in Unibroue Maudite snifter.

32308 18:18 printed in yellow on the neck. It tastes like it could be from March 2008.

Michael Jackson is pictured on the back, it's from Sri Lanka, an 8% "Stout" and only costs 2 bucks a bottle. This is why my friend in AZ picked it up for me.

Very good head retention. I'm likely marking off because the appearance isn't as impressive as other bis stouts I've had due to this one most likely not having oat and significantly less-hopped. Aroma nowhere near compares to most big stouts I've had.

Has those Euro Big Stout flavours, like Sam Smith Imp Stout or a Baltic Porter - toffee, tootsie roll, grape jelly and berries, port. I suppose that is the "Export Stout" flavor. I get some sweet wine-like flavors (but not very woody), some dessert-like creaminess (chocolate mousse, maybe carrot cake?), and some hazelnut. I'm not that familiar with carob, but I think it tastes a like a carob dessert.

Thick and the alcohol is not present in the taste.

I didn't know Sri Lanka exported beer. It's probably pretty good there. If I was ever near Sri Lanka, I'd love to try in there.

Not bad. I'd recommend it for the price, but I wouldn't seek it out. A little sweet for my tastes., I'd like some more roastiness and hop presence. I much prefer American Imperial Stouts, like Victory Storm King for example; although I realize this is a different brew in many ways. I would bet most would like more than me though...

MEsquandoles, Jan 15, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -22.4%

A pitch-black brew from Sri-Lanka, an island off the southern coast of India.

I received this beer as part of a "beer of the month" club type thing.

I was excited to open this beer, but it wasnt quite up to what i was expecting. maybe a little too metallic?

The can it came in looks nicely appointed. Simple black and red with a lion (as expected).

When poured, it looked almost syrup-y. very heady.

The smell is just on-par for a stout.

The taste did disappoint me a little. To me, it was a little bit metallic for my taste.

Not a bad mouthfeel. Pretty smooth.

Overall, it was just Okay. Dont hate it, but would not choose it again if given other options.

ZtremEoj, Jul 03, 2014
3.03/5  rDev -22.9%

I loved the look of this. Pitch black with a beige colored head that came large and stayed at medium size for awhile. Smelled of strong semi-sweet chocolate chips and a hint of alcohol. Taste of roasted malts and intense chocolate (like a mochachino). Only problem is that the flavor is withdrawn and doesn't fully show itself. There's also a sourness in the beer that seems like it shouldn't be there. Is that supposed to be the hops? Is it some astringency from the grains. I don't know, but I do know that it mixes with the chocolate and creates an off flavor. Body is medium to weak in thickness. Could be much better than it is.

granger10, Jul 31, 2003
3.03/5  rDev -22.9%

hadnt had this in a while so i figured i pick up a couple.

P: pours a jet black with a tan head that has good retention and lacing

S: doesn't really smell like anything....kind of disappointing.

T: Vanilla, burbon, carmel and some toasty malts

O: not bad has good mouth feel with the carbonation, wouldn't mind sessioning with it but its not stellar.

GNWBC, Feb 14, 2012

BrewtalHonesty, Oct 12, 2013

cfalovo97, Nov 13, 2012

byronic, Apr 02, 2014

TheBeeraholic, Jun 15, 2013

12oz can poured into a snifter.

(A)- Pours almost pitch black in color. Some tan froth and lacing.

(S)- A raisin heavy roasted maltiness; almost smoky on the finish.

(T)- Again, quite heavy on the raisin with subtle molasses combined with an almost smoky but roasted malt profile.

(M)- A smooth carbonation level. A good malty balance that is a bit on the lighter side but plenty of flavor.

(O)- An easy drinking stout with smooth and mellow carbonation. Surprised this came in cans.

sweemzander, Jun 04, 2013