Lion Stout - Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited

Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited visit their website
Sri Lanka

Foreign / Export Stout |  8.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2001

The dark caramel, large dense headed brew, with its 8.8% alcoholic content, is unique due to its sweet notes of chocolate and coffee interspersed into a foundation of dark roasted barley. Symbolic black to denote leadership, power, focus and strength, is dominant in the labeling as the lion journeys in the twilight unafraid, unbowed and unchallenged.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lion Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 881 | Hads: 1,545
3.66/5  rDev -7.1%

Always intrigued to try a craft brew out of a can...

Poured a very dark, black almost oil-like liquid. Good first impression

The smell was about what I would expect from a stout; some hints of dried fruit and a little smokiness

Mouthfeel was nothing special and I noticed there was very little carbonation.

I tasted dried fruit, smokiness, some bitter chocolate and a very amount of malt. A decent stout but not by favorite. There was a little bit of booziness at first but that faded as I drank the beer.

3.66/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle into Trappitst Westvleteren tulip glass. No idea the of the bottling date, my guess is fall 2011. Pour yields a dark brown almost black color, with frothy light brown head -- looks like a thick coffee. Two finger head recedes leaving some lacing and a thin layer of head; a bit more than a black a coffee, with a lighter head. Smell is not too overwhelming, not much there. Coffee and oatmeal aromas present, with a hint of licorice. Taste is nice and clean, coffee and oatmeal is persistent, but nothing too over the top. Hints of burnt flavors on the end. It is roasty. Mouthfeel is very clean and smooth, no bite. Feels like coffee roasts with no lingering harshness or bitterness. Overall this is a decent stout. Not my first choice or "go-to" by any means, but something I enjoy. If you like stouts, Lion Stout is something nice and easy to try.

3.66/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Black, enormous head.

Smell: Dark chocolate, roasted notes, a little sweet hickory bbq.

Taste: Dark fruit, mild dark chocolate, not too bitter or too sweet.

Mouthfeel: Felt light for an imperial stout (which I now see it is not), still maybe a little light for its strength.

Drinkability: The lightness almost makes it dangerously drinkable.

Saw a can of this on the singles shelf so I figured I'd check it out. I thought it was an imperial stout due to the ABV, but it definitely doesn't have as much flavor as most imperials. It is very drinkable, quite light for a 8% beer. Worth a try.

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%

Sinha Stout, 330mL bottle, B/B Apr 2005.

Appearance: Opaque black syrupy fluid with a tan head which almost looks rose-coloured. Close inspection with bright light shows moderate carbonation and mahogany colour.

Smell: Solvent alcohol, date, raisin, cocoa, maybe even stone fruit. Complex but still refreshing.

Taste: Smooth, chocolatey, bitter, very nice, but not particularly unusually good,

Mouthfeel is very smooth, creamy but quite interesting. Definitely creamy. As a result, drinkability is impressive. Although I wouldn't drink it all night, but it's a nice stout overall.

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a can of Lion Brewery Limited's Lion Stout last week for $1.99 at The Lager Mill. It's been a long time since I've had this beer and I'm pretty sure it was one of the first stouts I had, so lets see what I think of it now. Poured from a 12oz can into a snifter. 2015 Vintage.

A- The can looks nice, it's got a nice design to it and it's a little eye catching. It poured a black color that barely let any light in and it had three fingers worth of very slightly lighter brown head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some patchy lacing behind. This is a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with a boozy aroma being the first to show up and it's followed by some fruity yeast with some apple and pear aromas sticking out the most. Up next comes the malts which have some roast to them, but it's a little on the lighter side and it seems like there more sweet and grainy malt aromas being imparted. The aroma is nice, but I wish it was less boozy with more roast.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but a little roastier and not as boozy, it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up this time and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but the time the roast shows up more and there's even a light charred and smokey flavor. Up next comes the fruity yeast and it impart the exact same aspects that it did in the aroma and it's followed by the booze, which is noticeable, but not as boozy as it was in the aroma. On the finish there's a lighter amount of bitterness with a smokey and lightly charred aftertaste. This a pretty nice tasting beer, but I wish the alcohol was hidden a little better.

M- Fairly smooth, a little boozy, a little watery, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is nice, but I wish it was a little thicker and chewy.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a nice example of the style, it tastes pretty similar to how I remember, it's nice, but it's still just a little rough around the edges. This beer has ok drinkability, I think one is enough for me, I don't have the urge to drink another one in a row. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and the roasty and charred flavors, to me those were the highlights of this beer. What I like the least about this beer is the boozynezz and the body, they could both use some work. I would get this again, but it's nothing that I will buy on the regular. I think it's worth a try, especially if your just getting into Stouts. All in all this was like a trip down memory lane and while I don't like it as much as I once did I still think it's a nice beer to try. It's my favorite beer from this brewery and it's above average for the style. Nice job guys, keep it up.

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%

A - Black beer that doesn't let any light through. Decent bubbles on this, small mocha head that left a little bit of chunk on the sides.

S - A lot of coffee, little bit of licorice, some dark fruit, slight alcohol burn.

T - This is a bit of a milky stout, decent amount of coffee and some licorice and dark fruit that make it taste a little "foreign." I don't care for the style but it's not my favorite. Above average.

M - Creamy, lighter side of full bodied, little kick from the carbonation.

D - It's a solid beer that I did not mind, and would drink again if it were offered. Above average, decent take on the style. Drinks a little harder than 8%.

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%

500 ML bottle poured into an oversized wine glass.

A-- Looks like coke pouring out of the bottle. A little darker and much less carbonated but looks almost the same. Head is a mocha color and settled on a 1 1/2 finger head. Lacing is very nice and leaves an almost spider web quality.

S-- Coffee,roasted malts, chocolate, and a touch licorice. Remindes me of the Sam Adams Imperial but this smells a bit watered down.

T-- Roasted malts, coffee, and chocolate. Roasted malts are the first thing that got me.

M-- The licorice comes in the mouth feel as the anise just coats the lining of my mouth. A little carbonation and the sugar does go straight to your stomach. that part is not that great though. It does get a bit sweeter as it warms up

D-- This is from Sri Lanka?? Serious? It's 8 %?? Seems a bit watered down for an 8%. Very drinkable. The licorice I would do with out but a very nice beer. This is a stout you can drink in all seasons.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Dark body- really dark. Creamy, small head.

Smell: Dark roasted coffee and chocolate. A really pleasant smell that matches the appearance well. I was excited with the smell and expected a really good beer.

Taste: Like the other reviews say, the 8.8% is obvious at the end. However, it isn't overwhelming. The initial taste is roasted coffee - not much cream flavor, little chocolate. The roasted flavor dominates all other flavors.

Mouthfeel: Not too thick, fairly smooth.

Overall: A really solid stout. My first beer from Sri Lanka - surprisingly good. Not one of my favorites, but I would look for it again. If you are looking for a great heavy stout to sip with a meal, this is a great choice.

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%

Labeled as Sinha stout here in Canada, it is the same beer as the label and facts are the same. The pour is stout-like with an opaque beer flowing into my glass and developing a caramel head of creamy foam with only moderate staying power. Lacing is present and abundant.

Aromas are gentle and initially of coffee, molasses and some malt with currants and blueberries creeping into the profile midway through. The finish is reminescent of charred grain husks with a resurgence of sweet molasses, but remains subdued.

As with the aromas the flavours and mouthfeel are toned down and do not give away an alcohol by volume of 8.0%. Slim bodied and medium dry for such a big beer, malt flavours express themselves up front with a touch of cocoa. A hint of brett emerges to highlight a faint spiciness that tries to camouflage some warming alcohol that also lends some bitterness. The finish is on the short side but displays some notes of chocolate and a pleasant residual sugar.

Interesting and somewhat flavourful, it reminds me of the Dragon Stout from another tropical region but lacking the finesse of this brew.

3.64/5  rDev -7.6%

Bottled in 2010

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance-Oily black, pitch black. 3 finger frothy beige head. Great retention and incredible lacing. Very nice looking.

Smell-Dark bitter chocolate and espresso notes, pretty generic, nothing special.

Taste-Roasted malts. Coffee remains in the middle of the tongue and followed by a sweeter milk chocolate. The alcohol is detected easily on the way down.

Mouthfeel-A little heavy, pretty smooth. Could use a little more carbonation.

Overall-It's a pretty generic beer. It's definitely good, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find this again when Old Rasputin is 7.99/4pk and easy to get.

3.63/5  rDev -7.9%

The expiry date on the bottle reads July 06, and the name reads "Sinha stout". Poured it into a Guinness glass. The colour is black while the head is of a lighter colour. The smell is not noticeable. The bitter chocolate and roast coffee flavours are pronouced. Yet, the beer surprisingly smooth for a its alcohol strength of 8%. The taste of the alcohol is hidden very well and only comes out near the end. The aftertaste is pleasantly bitter without being tangy and flat. I would definately get this one again.

3.63/5  rDev -7.9%

very nice head with ample lacing

nose of mild roasty malts

taste was nice. sweet right off the bat with dark flavors of currant, and dark breads. has a nice drying hoppyness that lingers a bit but not overpowering.

what it lacks is the sour note that guinness FES has and makes it much more enjoyable to me. there is a bit of residual sweetness that would get to be to much after a couple though.

mouthfeel is good and what I expected and drinkability is average with that sweetness and abv of 8%

3.63/5  rDev -7.9%

Sold as "Sinha Stout" here in Australia. I bought it out of pure curiosity, assuring myself I'd be quickly forgotten. It has however suprised me...

The pour was marvelous. The body is pure black, even against the room light. The head is a frothy, froamy brown, but unfortunately fails to stay or lace as much as I'd expect from a brew of this style.

While the smell wasn't strong and far from complex, roasted malts and coffee beans were most evident.

At first sip I can't say I was overly impressed due to my dislike for coffee, but it quickly grew on me. Roasted (maybe even burnt) coffee bean, dark chocolate and some bitter undertones. While 8%, the alchohol is not even noticable.

The mouthfeel is smooth but ligher than anticipated and the aftertaste is more of the same, with the coffee lingering.

It's definately a grower, and as I move closer to finishing this glass, I move closer to considering buying another bottle next trip to Dan Murphy's.

3.63/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a dark black with little head if any

Aroma is feint and alcoholic

BIG dark bittersweet chocolate taste with a lot of carbonation, fizzy even

hints of coffee and maybe licorice that gets creamy the more you chew it

sweet bitter finish

one of my favorite stouts, its very different from most of the offerings on the market and will probably taste interesting aged.

3.63/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours black in color, and I'm not able to get much light to shine through even when held directly to it. Light brown head that stood about two fingers tall at first, but has now settled to a thin lace after only a few minutes. Moderate head retention.

Smells roasty, yet clean. Not a big nose on this one, but it's pleasant enough.

Taste is a good combination of roasted barley and hops. Not getting too much in the way of chocolate on this one, maybe a touch of coffee.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side for my liking.

This is an easy drinking stout (especially for 8%), but I'd be ready to switch gears after one or two tops.

Morey's Bottom Line: Maybe once upon a time, this may have been a top example for the style, but nowadays....I'd put it in the middle of the road range. A little thin and not super complex. Would be a good Stout to start out with.

3.63/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a deep opaque black with a huge bug loosebubbled head of mocha-cream foam. Lacing is superlative. The head looks a little too much like styrofoam to my mind, but it's pretty nice.

Quite odd on the nose. Some dark roasted notes, with a really unnerving hint of weed killer. There's something sharp there - it reminds me of wandering into the garden shed. Otherwise the toasted, slightly smoky aromas are pleasant - maybe it's just a boozy hint that's putting me off, but it's certainly odd.

Deep and toasty palate, crusty and dark at the start, but mellowing to a rounded high-cocoa chocolate sweetness. The full body of the palate is rather short, but there's a single note of carbonised bitterness which lingers through the centre as the rest subsides. A hint of booze just pops up near the end. It doesn't have the complexity to be truly great, and the mouthfeel is certainly weaker than is warranted, but it's not bad all up.

A pretty pleasant stout. It certainly has a good handle on the roasted bitterness. I wish it had upped the sweetness and the body a bit, and lengthened the palate. But not bad overall.

3.63/5  rDev -7.9%

Dark fudge brown, nearly black, thin and firm light brown cap, a slight skim remains once it settles, lacing in thin sheets. Aroma of slight roast, stale raisin, parched prunes, dry cocoa, and anise. Taste is mild with tame roastability and soft chocolate, slight floating sweetness of dry dark fruits, touches of molasses and toffee roast. Doesn't withstand too much in the flavor dept. or in its length, over far to quickly, but it does incur a certain broad range of capable character. Feel is smooth, a bit sweet and tangy, lightly roasted edge, just shy of a medium body mostly, seems to pick up a bit towards the finish where it drys out with some light cocoa. A fairly decent effort; quick stout flavors and a somewhat healthy body, but could be better. I would consider this over a Guinness on nitro-tap I think?

3.63/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours from 625ml bottle(room temp) a pitch black with a pretty large head of foam that shrinks slowly and then completely dissipates. There's some lacing present with each new pour but that too disappears after sitting in the glass for a while.

The smell is of roasted malt but it's pretty light. Not much going on for me as far as the nose goes.

The taste has coffee, chocolate, roasted malt and...right near the finish, a hot cocoa flavour but they are all on the light side and make for a very smooth brew overall; I can't beleive it's 8%abv, it's *that* smooth and easy drinking but Iknow better than to think that the alcohol won't catch up to me so I'm only taking small sips.

Further sips and and nothing really changes. I note that the body on this one is on the thin side though the taste never does lean towards the watery side. It's good. I'm glad I got to try it but...it's not something I'd seek out again.

3.62/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber poured into a tulip.

A- Abundant froth khaki head, plentiful and scattered lacing. Pitch-black body. 4.5

S- A bit pungent and floral with a sweet malt quality like a Malta Goya soda. 3.75

T- Molasses sweetness and hints of dark chocolate move to touches of soy sauce and brown sugar. It's sweeter in flavor. 3.5

M- Potent floral feels meet a medium-bodied malt feel. Sweetness shows. 3.5

The malt flavor is more sweet and molasses-like than roast-y and coffee or chocolate like and I think I prefer the latter in a stout. I find this awfully close to a Negra Modelo or some other darker beer of that ilk.

3.62/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

330 ml bottle into nonic.

Pitch black one finger light brown head that slowly settles to a thick rim.

Roasty malts along with chocolate, coffee, and a slight creaminess. Hop bitterness is low and hidden behind the malts.

Mostly sweet flavors with a touch of bitterness from the roasty malts. A little bit of molasses is in there. Full bodied with good carbonation.

Plenty of dark malts. I felt this one was a little under par for the style. It's good but the smoothness isn't there from other Export Stouts I have tried in the past.

3.62/5  rDev -8.1%

12oz Bottle. Pours black with a long lasting brown head that leaves plenty of lacing. Aroma has dark fruit, chocolate malt and some brown sugar notes. Body is on a lighter side for a stout with dark fruits (prunes) and chocolate dominate the mouth. Finish is short, sweet and fruity. Hops character is very muted. Not a bad brew but I expected more from a stout.

3.61/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

625ml. bottle poured into a cople sampler glasses. Dark black at first glance with a thick tight-bubbled tan head. Closer look reveals ruby edges, the head fades slowly and leaves a nice sticky lacing on the glass.

Aroma of dark roasted malts, cola, some dark fruits. Taste is roasty with a quick dry finish. Sounds like car wax or something. I do taste some sweet cola with this. Not much if any hop bitterness. Interesting.

Thick and seriously dry.

I would not open another.

3.6/5  rDev -8.6%

625 ml bottle. Pours a dark, nearly opaque, brown with a creamy light brown head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is musty roasted malts, dark fruits and a little alcohol and some off notes (DMS?).

The flavor is roasted chocolate and sweet creamy lactose with a touch of coffee. It leads to a crisp, lightly bitter finish. The alcohol is well hidden. The mouthfeel is medium to full and velvety.

Overall, a decent stout. It's more subdued than I was expecting, but still nicely done.

3.6/5  rDev -8.6%

Dark, almost opaque. Nice head of foam, a rocky and mouse-like medium tan. Laces in fat garlands. Pale dry cocoa aroma, some carob and nutiness. Pleasant mouthfeel, very creamy. Sweet caramels, light butteriness, malted milk dominates the flavor profile. Finishes similarly, without a hard roast or hop bittering to the second half. Little sense of the 8.0% ABV stated on the bottle. M.J. says this beer is "tarry" -- not to me, and it could use some for balance. Very drinkable and agreeable, uncomplicated, perhaps a touch too sweet overall.

3.6/5  rDev -8.6%

Lion Stout pours out a rocky tan head over a black brew. The
carbonation is hard to guage, but the nose is is bitter chocolate
raisin, and molasses. The flavor is molasses up front with a bitter
chocolate finish, and as with a lot of stouts I've had, a sort of scotch
boozieness in the background. The aftertaste is more of that bitter
chocolate and hops. The mouthfeel is a bit thin for a stout, also a bit
dry and astringent as well. I associate stouts with cold misrable countries,
but this one comes from Sri Lanka, a hot and miserable country. I'm given