Lion Stout - Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited

good

Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited visit their website
Sri Lanka

Foreign / Export Stout |  8.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lion Stout Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours dark brown, nearly black, with chestnut and ruby edges and a strong dark tan head.

Smell is roasty and sweet, with just a hint of hops and spice.

Taste is a strong roasty/smoky flavour, full of deep, dark molasses and malty flavours.

Carbonation hits high and low at the same time, but is tight and fast. Liquid is medium viscosity.

This one feels very balanced, making it quite drinkable.

Be well
-UF

UncleFlip, Feb 12, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

A pleasant surprise as part of a "Beers of the World" sampler I got for my 22nd birthday as I've been wanting to try this one.

Pours pitch black with a finger of creamy tan head. Dark and milk chocolates, roasted espresso bean and smoked peat dominate the senses. Mouthfeel is rich and the alcohol is warming. A decadent stout here, quite a surprise out of Sri Lanka, but kudos to Ceylon brewery, Michael Jackson can't be wrong....go ahead, it's there for the taking. No seriously, it's a gimme...

Golden2wenty1, Feb 09, 2006
3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

part of a winter brews pack i picked up at world market in lansing, mi.

pours jet black with a dense tan head that fell into a thin sheet.
the arom a is malty, chocolate, hint of coffee.
the flavor is very rich with malt, some hopsack, little chocolate, carmelized malt.
the mouthfeel is a little creamy, slightly thick, wounderful.
beer is best enjoyed on a cold night.

plaztikjezuz, Feb 06, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +13.5%

Chocolate City meets the Pacific.

I must admit I had a slew of predispositions about this beer.
I was thinking a Sri Lankan brew, really?

After watching the rolling, silky, fat-girl-in-satin-nightie pour- the first taste coaxed me into submission until I was lapping at the lion's paw.

A beautiful soft, round mouth feel is accented with rich, delicately sweet notes of cacao and coffee muted with a beautiful slightly sweet finish.

There’s something about a beer with a purpose that turns me on.
I mean anytime I eat any coconut curry (Indian or Thai) I will either be drinking this beer or thinking about drinking this beer. The Lion Stout even at room temperature is absolute fantastic combination with all hot curries dishes. This will be in attendance in the cellar for its occasions.

*side note: This brewery stopped brewing its beer to bottle water for victims of the tsunami.

Viva Lion!

sleepingbear, Jan 19, 2006
3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance: Standard black stout color with creamy beige head. Minimal head retention and lacing.

Smell: Sweet roasted maltiness with a definite waft of alcohol and a hint of raisin. All with a real dank mustiness to it. Huh.

Taste: Initially, a distinct smack of malt sweetness hits the tongue, supplanted by vanilla and plums. Finishes dry, similarly to a cup of coffee.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, though still a bit lighter and lacking the fullness that I both crave and demand! Carbonation is rather low, allowing the beer to achieve some creaminess.

Drinkability: A genuinely decent stout, and one of the better foreign stouts I've tasted.

ChainGangGuy, Jan 14, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +6.6%

330ml bottle serving, poured into a tulip glass.

Completely opaque black body. Huge tan head that lasts and lasts, finally leaving beautiful lacing. (Warning: Don't pour too fast, I should have used my Duvel glass). Perfect appearance.

Smell is very intensely roasted malt with plenty of flavor highlights. Coffee, chocolate, caramel, this stuff has a little bit of everything going on. Also a sour note in the nose, not a bad smell, just a little different.

Flavor is very rich and complex. The roasted malt jumps right up and hits you in the palate. Sweet and chocolatey, with coffee notes in the finish. Some dark fruit presence as well in the aftertaste. The 8% ABV is not noticeable to me, other than a slight warming effect.

Mouthfeel is medium-rich and somewhat chewy.

Drinkability is pretty good overall. More than a couple would quickly be overwhelming to the palate, but I really enjoyed this one!

ghostwalker, Jan 03, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours an opaque black with copper highlights. The relatively dark brown head is very creamy, though it has poor retention and quickly leaves a bubbly lace. The aroma is dominated by a very sweet malt character though it also has a nice roasty quality as well. The flavor is rich and complex: sweet grain malt, caramel, smooth chocolate, coffee, some subtle dark fruits, and an overall smokey, roastiness give this brew an impressive depth and variety of flavor. Even at 8% ABV, the alcohol bite, while there, is nicely smoothed out by this beer’s robust flavor profile. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy while the carbonation is moderately active.

Rich and flavorful; sweetness and roastiness are this brew’s most delicious characteristics. Highly recommended.

arguemaniac, Dec 09, 2005

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Poured almost black with about a two finger brown creamy head.

Smell: Smells of chocolate and roasted malted dominated. Also a slight hint of hops were present.

Taste: Chocolate, coffee and roasted malt. The beer got sweeter as it warmed. There was also a slight hop bitterness that was present.

Mouthfeel: Medium to thick Mouthfeel with the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: At 8% ABV I could have a couple of these in a sitting but not a session beer.

This was a good stout and my first brew from the Lion Brewery. I did not know what to except but enjoyed it a lot.

bahumutx, Dec 07, 2005
4.7/5  rDev +19.9%

I haven't heard of this beer before, but when I went to DiCarlo's Liqours in Willowbrook, IL. I saw the six pack with beer dork Michael Jackson on the cardboard and had to pick it up. With a plus to the exotic locale the beer is produced.

Appearance- Poured a 0ne and a half finger head into a chalice/oversized wine glass very similar to what M. Jackson was drinking from on the cover. The almost complete liquid black with hints of a reddish-brown at the top of the beer.

Smell- Excellent roasted malt sweetness nicely subdued by a hint of hops. Hint of whipping cream to help define the malt induced aromas.

Taste- Was much better than I would ever have expected beautiful blend of smokey malt with excellent bacjup by the hop bitterness although there wasn't much. Creamy vanilla notes with an overall whole milk nuance.

Mouthfeel- Medium palate, but not filling.

Drinkability- I would love to have a couple of these with in a day. Maybe with a chocolate pecan tortie.

scruffwhor, Dec 07, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours a big creamy mocha head over a deep black body. Outstanding lace and head retention. Aromas of vinous fruit, toasted malt, coffee and a hint of hops. Initial flavors of vinous fruit are soon joined by coffee, chocolate and roasted malt and a lingering toasted biscuit-character. Sweet, but not syrupy, with a faint trace of a hop bitterness lending it some balance. Warming alcohol is noticeable, but doesn’t detract from the flavor. Full-bodied with light carbonation. Smooth mouthfeel from start to finish with a faint lingering bitterness. Coats the mouth and throat.

A beautiful well-crafted beer from Sri Lanka of all places. Multiple layers of flavor with a nice alcohol backbone. South Asia’s finest beer—by a long shot.

Shovelbum, Dec 04, 2005

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color ale with a nice medium dark foamy head with quite good retention. Aroma of deep chocolate and roasted malt is clearly detectable and quite enjoyable. Taste is also distinguishable by the high-level of chocolate malt with a nice dose of sweetness. Body is above average and alcohol is well hidden. Great foreign stout and even more surprising coming out of Sri Lanka.

Phyl21ca, Dec 02, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +11%

First time I had this, soooo good!! Thick head pours in nice and stays for a while, actually you gotta be careful about pouring too fast. Taste is of roasted malts, a hints of sweetness and quite a bit like unsweetened cocoa powder. Thick mouthfeel but not bad. Definetly not a session beer, but something to be savored and enjoyed.

Manosbeeroffate, Nov 28, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +9.2%

Very black in color-great tan head about 1/4 " high. Moderate aroma-coffee and licorice smells abound. Nice blend of roasted and sweet malt. Flavor is big and bold-roasted malt dominates with espresso and burnt treacle like flavors. Nice underlying sweetness to the whole thing. Good body-slightly viscuous and thick. A very drinkable and enjoyable stout. I had this 2 years or so ago on draft and it was awesome. Well worth seeking out.

lackenhauser, Nov 26, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +11.7%

First, let me say that stout in general is probably my favorite type of beer.

That being said, Young's Double Chocolate Stout was my favorite stout until I found Lion Stout. This has to be some of the best stuff ever put into a bottle. :-)

It pours a reasonable amount of head, even though I poured it rather slowly (it took me close to 2 minutes to fill a pint glass.) It poured to a totally opaque black color, with a very pleasant aroma. There was a hint of what I detected as raisins, but my wife and children all smelled coffee. To each his (or her) own, I suppose.

Very nice mouthfeel. Not too heavy, not light enough to think that this was someone's first attempt at stout, either. It retains it's light raisinesque flavor, but it expands to a deeper flavor as it goes down. A very nice finish, having a small note of caramel on the very end.

A truly pleasing drink. If you ever have the opportunity to purchase a bottle of this stuff, I heartily recommend it.

seagis, Nov 15, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +9.2%

Purchased from Strong Bros. Liquor Store, Fayetteville, TN.

Pours into my Blackstone pint glass with a thick foamy brownish-white head and a dark black opaque body. Nearly perfect for a stout, leaving even a nice bit of lacing on the top of the head as it begins to dissipate. And that was on a _gentle_ pour.

Smell is very nice, with the expected coffee and chocolate notes very prevalent, with no noticeable hops in the nose. Slight hint of raisins in the background. Despite the high alcohol, I'm not getting any astringency in the nose -- I'll try to taste and see if it's present.

It's present, but not overwhelming. A very nice taste here, as there is some tart sweetness (sort of like the raisins I mentioned above) in the taste here that helps to balance out the astringency. It's also pretty sweet, like a sweet stout, which makes this very enjoyable to me.

Mouthfeel is slightly thinner than expected for a stout (particularly one with this abv), so I'm giving it a slightly lower score. Still, carbonation is moderate and the head sticsk around so well that this is quite enjoyable, just more like a thick porter than a stout.

Overall, I find this quite drinkable. Not nearly sweet enough to be cloying, but very nicely balanced and very enjoyable. I got this for $10.99 for a six-pack, and for the value I may be buying again and again. Might be my favorite stout.

danielharper, Nov 08, 2005
4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

This one pours a solid, deep jet black color. Almost reminds me of roofing tar. There is a huge layer of brown, cappuccino-colored foam that seems to last longer than the beer itself. When I first cracked open the bottle, I caught a wiff of red wine. Maybe that was just the alcohol content. After I pour, I notice an immense smell of chocolate. Sort of like some kind of chocolate/mocha flavored cappuccino. The taste is very good. Roasted and chocolately up front, with just a little bit of a hop kick towards the end. Finishes smooth. It has a slight warming effect at 8.0%. The mouthfeel is heavy bodied, but yet its surprisingly easy to drink. Tasty brew here, definitly a good session beer.

jasonpeckins32, Nov 07, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

This beer is marketed as "Sinha Stout," rather than "Lion Stout" in Ontario, although I'm pretty sure it's the same thing (I bought it at an LCBO in Toronto, so YMMV).

Pours a deep brown, almost black, with some orangish highlights when held up to the light. My pour resulted in a billowing mocha head that stuck around for a nice long time, and left residue as I drank it.

Smell is very nice, if a bit simplistic (or maybe that's just my nose!) -- caramel, coffee, chocolate, and cherries.

Mouthfeel surprised me, as it was lighter and fresher than I expected for such a strong, dark beer. However, I found it matched the flavour of the beer very well.

Flavour is malts, coffee, ear-warming alcohol, lots of hay, with some planty and earthy elements. Some bitterness creeps in to compete with the sweetness of this beer's odour and initial taste, which makes the flavour much more complex and enjoyable in my mind.

At 8% ABV, this beer is extremely, dangerously drinkable for the alcohol content. I could easily sit down and have three or four without even thinking about it -- and then fall on the floor when I tried to stand up again. Might be worth it though -- one of my favourite stouts so far!

crwills, Nov 07, 2005
4.63/5  rDev +18.1%

There are no confirmed reports of melanistic (black) lions, either in the wild or captivity (http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/black.html). Well, I found one: this Lion is jet black with a huge, rocky head that lasts forever. Oh, and it had a cat hair in it, but I'll blame that on my new kitten and not the Lion. Smell is surprisingly subdued, with a gentle roasted character. The taste, though, explodes with delicious bitter roastedness that's smooth as can be. Just a hint of plums/raisins. What a great beer. I might move to Sri Lanka.

battlekow, Oct 20, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours an opaque black with a dark tan head thats rocky but shortlived. It recedes to a persistent cap that coats the glass with lace. The aroma is of sweet milk chocolate and Cappacino. The taste is very chocolatey and complex. Powdered cocoa blends with dark and white chocolate in the front. Theres a pleasant coffee bitterness in the back as well as some powdered milk and dark fruit (plums, prunes). A bittersweet finish lingers forever. The mouthfeel is creamy but a little thinner than I expected.

This is a great foreign stout. Its a little sweet for my taste but its still way less sweet (and way more complex) than the caribean examples Ive tried. I highly recommend.

CAMRAhardliner, Oct 11, 2005
3.68/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours nearly black with a well-kept bubbly tan head. Aroma is sweet, cocoa and plum. Flavor is again sweet, but lacks a serious malt profile that is warranted for an 8% ABV stout. Where's the beef? Tastes good enough and is a fairly easy drinker, but lacks complexity and anything to balance the chocolate sweetness and the mildly warming alcohol effect. Though it's full bodied, I expected something with a heartier flavor profile. Despite the bubbly head, carbonation on the palate is quite low. Still, not too shabby, especially if you truly dig stouts.

IrishRedRock, Oct 07, 2005
3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

Thanks go out to cmaruschak for the chance to sample this one.

Appearance: A dark cola pour with a sudsy tan head that develops. No visible carbonation noted. No light gets through this one and it appears well filtered.

Smell: Just a touch of dry roasted malts here. Not much going on.

Taste: Starts out dry and then turns pleasantly sweet. Hints of carob, walnuts, and dark grains are noted. Finishes dry and leaves a coffee-type aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and a touch creamy.

Drinkability: Very solid. Nothing over the top but very well done. Just a touch of alcohol on the palate which deserves respect. A nice one to enjoy the cooler weather with. Recommended.

mattcrill, Sep 27, 2005
3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

This brew pours an opaque black color with a huge tan head. The lacing is thorough, and lasts forever. The aroma is of cracker, cream, and is slighly nutty, but not vrey strong. The taste very enjoyable. Creamy, and slightly nutty with some bitterness in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with ample carbonation. Overall, this is a solid brew.

KarlHungus, Sep 25, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

Polished mahogany with generous garnet highlights that are created by bright morning sunshine pouring through my front window. The tremendous, cascading, golden ecru head has now settled down to a firm, three finger cap. I'm sure the 8.0% ABV is at least partially responsible for the disappointing amount of lace. A classic look.

The nose is dominated by roasted black malt. Dark chocolate is present as well, although it smells powdery and dry rather than sweet and rich. Faint coffee notes add additional interest. Unfortunately, there's just enough mustiness to keep me from loving the nose.

Lion Stout is much, much better on the palate. The flavor is multi-faceted, distinctive and just plain ol' good. My initial impressions are roasted barley, bittersweet chocolate, light molasses and a hint of anise. There's something else present, something sweetly floral, that makes me think there's a secret ingredient. Some exotic jungle flower perhaps? It's probably just hops, but it's different and delicious.

Sweet and bitter work well together, from start to lingering end. The various flavors are well-integrated when beer hits taste buds, then fan out beautifully and allow one to savor each in turn if desired. The mouthfeel is initially no better than acceptable for the style, then develops a lightly silky smoothness as the beer warms. The ABV is as well-masked as possible, drinking much lower than 8.0%.

I imagine Lion Stout is the pride of Sri Lanka. It's an incredibly flavorful beer whose singular, exotic deliciousness impresses me to no end. In fact, it's one of the best foreign/export stouts (that are actually foreign) that I've ever had.

BuckeyeNation, Sep 18, 2005
3.45/5  rDev -12%

Black with ruby highlights and a tan head. Plenty of fine lacing was left behind as the foam subsided a bit. Malty aroma, with lots of chocolatey sweetness and light roasted coffee. Light bitterness with a strong sweetness. A bit of dark malt character, but not as much as I expected. It finishes a little acidic with just a hint of dry, grainy astringency. The carbonation is well integrated, with fine bubbles supporting the body somewhat. Not bad at all, though the flavour doesn't quite pull through like the aroma does.

DrJay, Sep 10, 2005
3.68/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours black with some deep red coming through at the edges. Ok tan head at first, then dissipates to a slight film.

Aroma is dark chocolate and some dark fruit.

Taste is hugely chocolatey up front giving way to a bit of coffee-like roastiness. Somewhat sweet.

Mouthfeel is very full.

Overall, a pretty good beer.

stodbrew, Sep 05, 2005