Lion Stout - Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited

Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited visit their website
Sri Lanka

Foreign / Export Stout |  8.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lion Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,506 | Reviews: 886
3.23/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured this beer into tumbler at 48 degrees. Beer was very black with a giant brown head that really lasted. Fruity nose chocolate oozing from chocolaty head. Good lacing. Slight interesting smoky taste but also a bit sour to me which turned me off. Will not buy again.

3.23/5  rDev -17.6%

330mL from a mix and match 6-pack, poured into a snifter

Picked this bottle up on recommendation of the beer guy at Joy Wines on 6th. It's not a bad 6-pack stout, all things considered.

A: Pours dark and thick, pitch black with 2-fingers creamy thick head. Looks like a stout.

S: Rich bitterness, and a slight unexpected hoppiness. Something else in here, but not sure what. Slight hints at smokiness.

T: Good front, bitter, good back, fading into chocolate, middle is kind of implacable and lost. Smokiness increases a lot as the beer opens up, and ultimately makes the middle a bit better down the long-haul.

F: Bit on the thin side for a stout, feels nearer a porter to my mouth.

D: Similar to B.O.R.I.S. in a number of ways, only not as good. Still, for the price, this is a very tasty stout.

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours black, not letting any light through. Has a 2 finger foamy tan head with good retention. The aroma has roasted malt and chocolate.

The taste also has a lot of roasted malt and dark bitter chocolate. There is also some vanilla. Is somewhat more bitter than sweet.

Medium bodied, decent carbonation. Not a beer that I love, but one that I do like. I would like it more, if there wasn't a somewhat burnt bitter aftertaste.

3.26/5  rDev -16.8%

Saw this on the shelf and just had to pick it up. SSomething just really intriques me, probabaly the look on the bottle, looked like it was gonna hurt, so I had to try it.

A - Poured very very dark black, opaque with a huge billowing tan head. Took forever to settle down. Lots of residual lace pretty much obscured the entire glass, if there was visible carbonation I couldnt tell, too thick...

S - Very strong, bitter coffee grinds and very dark chocoalte, a touch of alcohol and some hoppiness as it warmed.

T - Very bitter, especially for a stout. Lots of coffee and a touch of chocolate as well. Had a dry finish. Not overall that pleasant though, too bitter and was trying to balance out and be something it was not.

M - Smooth, but very dry in the finish. Nice carbonation gave it a somehat creamy feel and a thick presence. Felt like a stout.

D - Ehh, it was drinkable, and at 8% abv, really showed no sign of the alcohol so it was definatly well hidden. I guess you could drink a few, I really wouldnt.

Overall this was ok. Maybe a notch above average for a stout, but just wasnt really what I was looking for. It really needed some more sweetness to it...It was good dont get me wrong, just not something I would really want to drink alot of. Give a shot for a try, it was definatly good for that.

3.26/5  rDev -16.8%

A- Poured into a 16oz tumbler... Has a thick brown head that slowly disappates. No light can be seen through it

S- Has the typical toasty stout smell, but lacks the chocolate or mocha overtones

T- Has the burnt stout taste with an ever so little hint of chocolate. Little detection of the slightly higher abv

M- Actually feels a bit watered down... less chewy than other chocolate stouts

D- Would drink another, but if there was other options... I would try something else

3.28/5  rDev -16.3%

Hamtramck liquor store on north Jo. Campau had a special on Lion. Have seen this one many times but have never bitten the bullet. This time the price was right.

A-Very nice, thick, creamy, black as night.
S-Roasted malty with hints of cream.
T-Smooth, with some hoppiness. Somewhat weak for stout. No doubt Haywards Black is a half assed copy of this recipe.
M-Fleeting.
O-Sri Lankans make a decent stout. Michael Jackson cannot be wrong as the label correctly implies.

3.28/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Deceptive beer, there's not quite enough complexity in the finish to cover the boozy vodka taste.

3.3/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

appearance - wort brown in color. thick. solid tan head. looks a bit odd.

smell - malt overload. malt here, a malt there, a malt everywhere. samichlaus meet lion. minor coffee and brown sugar.

taste - a bit of grain. otherwise finishes the nose.

mouthfeel - everything is mediocre. mediocre carbonation, mediocre taste, mediocre body eh.

cheap but not really worth the price.

3.3/5  rDev -15.8%

Huge frothy head, nearly 50% head. Lot's of lacing. Really looks the part of a beautiful stout.

The taste is a bit sweet for me when comparing it to other stouts. Coffee is the predominant flavor and alcohol is the predominant smell.

The price and the ABV of this, while having a very strong drinkability, make this a solid choice. I would certainly drink this beer again.

3.33/5  rDev -15.1%

The pour is dark...and i mean DAAARK. It pours an almost pitch black in color but has a white 1.5 inch head that actually dissipates quite fast.

The smell of coffee assaults my nostrils along with hops and malt. More malt than hops, but also an alchoholish smell.

Taste is a bit of coffee, a bit of chocolate, alot of malt and almost a taste of ....well vodka. And not good vodka.

Mouthfeel is very thick. Slides right down the back of your throat but doesnt stick to the back of your throat like some stouts.

For a beer that has an overpowering taste of alchohol, its drinkability is good. The alcohol taste fades quickly and the aftertaste is just, for lack of a better description, nice.

Id buy this again, just not every day.

3.33/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours a dark brown/black with a modest tan head the retreats quickly lacing the glass on the way down. Smell of dried fruit, and a bit of cocoa, some phenolic or higher alcohol in there to. Tastes of bitter roasted chocolate and coffee with a bit of dark fruit, then ends with some roast bitterness and a bit of alcohol or maybe fusel, its muted but there and I can't put my finger on it. Medium to thin body with a creamy/oily mouthfeel. Lingering roast bitterness after each sip. Good stout, a bit to vinous for my taste.

3.33/5  rDev -15.1%

A: Pours pitch black with a very tall mocha coloured foam head. Pretty good retention with some decent lacing.

S: Caramel and molasses-like malts are quite dominant in this. Fainter hints of chocolate follow. Lingering grain aromas can be detected as this warms.

T: Caramel, molasses, some chocolate, and quite a potent herbal anise taste. Fair amount of smoke, especially in the finish, which adds another dimension to this. However, the distinct taste of anise coupled with smoke is actually giving off a medicinal taste that I find a bit unpleasing.

M: Lighter body for the style with an appropriate carbonation.

D: Don't think I'll be revisiting this one, as the medicinal herbal taste I was picking up was off-putting and really controlled the taste for me.

3.34/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured with a head reluctant to emerge but then blooming to 2" in a lovely mocha color. Dark as black coffee. Almost no smell at all, and in fact almost no taste initially too. As it warmed a little and sat and opened up a little some subtle chocolate malt flavor emerged and that was pretty good, not great but good. There's also an odd something extra, kind of like a cola or rum flavor. Anyway, nothing offensive in it, and it's easy to drink, and for a foreign import from such an unusual source I thought it was a success.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

(on tap at The Map Room - served in a fat tulip)

A: black as hell, little head... no lace as it was going down - hard to tell how clean the glass was - I'd like to assume the glass was washed properly considering the rep of this spot - maybe the gas was low

S: black licorice, mild European coffee... a tad 'herbal' (like Jager?)... faint dark cocoa

T: much like the aromas - not much new revealed on the palate... surprisingly tame sweetness - in fact, one could argue this has a clean Baltic porter foundation with a hybrid dry stout / schwarzbier taste... roasted flavors are low, or at best polished to a less-than-brilliant gloss, seems more like patent malt and a touch of crystal were used - who knows?... no real discernible hop flavor, light+ bitterness... not a strong presence of booze, curiously

M: damn light in body and on the palate... not quite, but nearly watery (again, leak on the gas line - almost flat)... nothing making a mark on the palate aside from the heat flash at the back of the throat

O: a bit underwhelming... had this a couple times in the past and though it was pretty good, however, I've always seemed to confuse this with Dragon Stout from Jamaica... this was a tough one to grade because I feel like something was off here...

3.35/5  rDev -14.5%

As my esteemed beer colleagues have noted, this beer is malt-ball malty. However, I dare to disagree with some impressions of its appearance and carbonation.

The appearance is lovely, black as night, and it has a frothy beige-brown head that foams and lasts long enough to tell you that this beer is appropriately carbonated.

My only qualm resides in this beer's overly enthusiastic chocolate flavor. I'm usually a fan of chocolate, but this beer's bitter chocolate mixes with the strong smokey ash flavor to make this taste more like I dropped a Hershey's bar into a campfire and then licked it clean.

Nevertheless, it augments a piece of pizza and will effectively hide any cumin flavor (if that's what you want) with its powerful smoke-screen.

3.35/5  rDev -14.5%

A - poured very dark, nearly black, with 1.25" tan head that retained nicely with decent lacing in my pint glass

S - dark chocolate, coffee, bread, oatmeal, mild floral tones, and a hint of currants. Of course, the alcohol is quite prominent.

T - coffee, burnt sugar, yeast, light chocolate notes, but in somewhat disproportional amounts. I'm detecting a bit much in the fruity and sweetness and not enough body to hold it together, especially with a high alcohol.

M - medium bodied, heavy carbonation, warming down the throat

D - not bad but the high ABV takes away in this department

Overall - A decent stout that gives a pleasant alcoholic kick to your evening, but it doesn't have enough body to keep it together. I found it actually slightly watery for a stout with too much carbonation. Still, stout lovers should give it a try. 'Tis a different catch.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle cold to a glass

A - 3 inches of head being the head is reddish tan. Color reminds me of Dark chocolate/coffee. Couldn't see through the glass

S - Strong hop/malt smell but at first couldn't figure out but my first guess would be like a dark chocolate or coffee.

T - Creamy taste at first but turns a little bitter, just a little! But it does turn smooth going down.

M - Creamy and smooth but full bodied

D - Good beer, one was good enough for me though. Great beer to share when your with others.

Over all not my kind of beer. This won't stop me from trying others in this class. I recommend this beer even though not my style. Someone with a more seasoned palate will appreciate this more than me.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Dark, dark brown, with a three-finger tan head that slowly subsided. Left a good bit of lacing.

Smell: Dark fruits, caramel sweetness, roasted malts, wet cardboard (at first I thought the bottle might have been oxidized, but I had two, and both had the same smell), and a certain astringency that I couldn't place. Somewhat of a chemical sweetness to it, which was a little bit off-putting.

Taste: Bitter roasted malts and coffee up front, but an unpleasant chemical sweetness in the background. There were dark fruits that contributed to the sweetness, but the artificial nature of it was kind of off-putting. It mellowed out a little bit as I worked on my glass, but left a noticeable aftertaste that lingered long after the glass was finished. If you could get past the sweetness, it's a very smooth, very good stout...but that sweetness just bothered me.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, a little thin, but nicely carbonated.

Drinkability: If you can get past the sweetness it is easy to drink a couple, but it's a definite sipper. Not a bad beer, but if I have the choice there are plenty of other stouts I'd rather get. However, this was the only one available for me at the bar I was at, and it satisfied my craving. Good, but that artificial sweetness just bothered me.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours very dark brown in color. There's a very nice frothy, espresso like head that forms on top. Plenty of carbonated bubbles racing towards the top of the glass.
Smell is lactic, heavily roasted malts and some cocoa. Taste is more of the roasted malts. There is a certain lactic, metallic flavor that is not jiving with me. Medium mouthfeel and bitter.

3.36/5  rDev -14.3%

Pours black with a nice creamy brown head that leaves good lacing in my glass, roasty, fruity malty aromas. Taste like plums, chocolate and smoke, medium bodied with a creamy mouthfeel, finishes a bit sweet, alcohol comes through as it warms, not as good as I was expecting but still a good stout.

3.37/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Black with a massive and dark tan, creamy looking head that has great lasing.

S: First thing I get strangely enough is fruit, like raisins and plums, soaked in rum. It kind of overpowers the roasty goodness that I usually like in a stout. To be honest, it's a little off-putting. There is some strange odor that doesn't feel like it should be in a beer. Almost smells like a wine, and I'm not fond of wine.

T: Very fruity and a hint of roasted malts on the back end. The more I sip this beer, the better it gets as it seems to build a layer of delicious dark, but not really dark, chocolate across my tongue. The best part of the taste, is IMO after you swallow and let it mellows. As it warms, the alcohol makes itself known.

M: Medium, I was a bit shocked, and this beer makes me long for that heavy chewiness I love. Good amount of carbonation. Creamy... nice.

Overall I was expecting this to be an A- beer, but it surely was not for me. This beer was way too fruity and thin bodied for my taste. Not roasty, no coffee, not a whole lot of chocolate. Not my cup of tea.

3.38/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured pitch black with a huge bronze head. Soem carbonation. Nose was big on roasted malts, some black licorice. Taste was to the sweet side. Again, black licorice was dominant. Nice malts. Very smooth, light bodied...a little too light bodied i would have to say. Lingering sweetness...a touch of raisin off the finish. Alcohol warmth. As far as a stout goes, i was looking for a little more body and fullness. Drinkable but not where i might want a stout to be.

3.38/5  rDev -13.8%

a: Nice mocha head recedes to a decent ring and small island of bubbles. The beer is a very dark brown, nearing black.

s: Creamy chocolate infused with roast coffee. Maybe some hazelnut. Weird salty Play-Doh in there. Eh.

m: low, smooth carbonation and a full medium body

t: Even for the style, the flavors are a little timid for my taste. It's still an okay beer, just a little bland and one-dimensional. Sweet, smoky roasts dominate over and earthy hoppiness. Roasted chocolate after the swallow.

d: easy enough but not a great beer

from zrrbrrt for my bombing

3.38/5  rDev -13.8%

Appearance is good, a very dark brown and almost black hue with a nice crown of head that leaves some good lacing.

Smells very malty, molasses, chocolate, a hint of roasted malts. Something just slightly off, a slight sour smell.

Taste is good, but nothing outstanding here. This is a run of the mill stout that is good for its price. Surprisngly low on chocolate, I was waiting for it to hit and got nothing, instead you get a lot of cream and molasses. Again, good, but plain.

Mouth is a bit of a problem, the body is right on at thickness but it seemed way too bubbly for my stouty tastes.

Overall if I'm at a store and see a sixer of this next to a four pack of Great Lakes Blackout for the same price, I'm going to the GL every time. Just no reason to revisit this beer, though I can't find anything to say outwardly negative. Just nothing special.

3.39/5  rDev -13.5%

Appearance - Black, 3 fingers of beige head with very good retention.

Smell - It is hard to explain what, but something seems wrong with the odour. It is not too different to the odour of most stouts, but it seems a little off.

Taste - The predominant taste is one of sweet coffee, but it isn't particularly strong. This didn't appeal to my preference for more complex stouts.

Mouthfeel - Pretty smooth.

Drinkability - Good for an 8% ABV stout.

Overall - This just didn't quite stand up to my favourite stouts. Perhaps Arjuna Ranatunga peed in it.

Lion Stout from Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited